Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

wow this is big news. Comolli is supposedly a friend of Billy Beane, if you've seen the movie Moneyball, dramatization of the actual story. Henry wanted Beane for the Red Sox, his baseball team and although he stayed with Oakland he's very familiar with this methods. I wondered if this connection somehow had a big influence in him coming to Liverpool and that it had more to do with their baseball roots than good footballing reasons.

In any case, he's gone now...I think some of his ideas are good, such as buying younger players as a general strategy. If you look at Spurs now, some of those signings he made are still there and doing very well.

I don't think he's got it right all of the time, of course. Anyway, I wonder if this is the case of the owners backing Kenny and not Comolli? I think he's just trying to leave gracefully by saying it's for family reasons.

2 days before a FA Cup Semi - fuc_ing stupid timing is that !

Anyway he's been sacked for the transfer fees paid - FSG are not messing around.

Summer will be interesting...

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

Edited by Devil

Anyway he's been sacked for the transfer fees paid - FSG are not messing around.

Do you think it will effect the players that much. Geniune question by the way.

Do you think it will effect the players that much. Geniune question by the way.

I dont think it will matter that much, no.

In fact, it could even lift the team

More worried about the goalkeeping situation, TBH. I can see Everton firing from long range, and putting testing crosses in at every opportunity.

Penkoprod

wow this is big news. Comolli is supposedly a friend of Billy Beane, if you've seen the movie Moneyball, dramatization of the actual story. Henry wanted Beane for the Red Sox, his baseball team and although he stayed with Oakland he's very familiar with this methods. I wondered if this connection somehow had a big influence in him coming to Liverpool and that it had more to do with their baseball roots than good footballing reasons.

In any case, he's gone now...I think some of his ideas are good, such as buying younger players as a general strategy. If you look at Spurs now, some of those signings he made are still there and doing very well.

I don't think he's got it right all of the time, of course. Anyway, I wonder if this is the case of the owners backing Kenny and not Comolli? I think he's just trying to leave gracefully by saying it's for family reasons.

Interesting 'leaving for family reasons'. Quite obviously sacked. But if FSG decide to let KD go, I am sure we will hear something similar or that he has decided to take another position at the club. I did think it would be very difficult for Comolli to stay if KD was to leave.

It will be interesting to see who FSG get in to replace Comolli.

Werner on Comolli, Kenny and semi

Following the announcement that Damien Comolli has left the club, Liverpoolfc.tv spoke to the Reds chairman Tom Werner.

Tom, the news this morning that Damien Comolli is leaving the club will have come as a surprise to many fans. Can you explain why the decision was taken?

I think it's fair to say no supporter would be delighted with the results we've achieved this year. We feel we are a club that needs to be perceived as the strongest club in football and we want to get there. Frankly, we make these decisions with a great deal of care because it's our track record in Boston to give people authority and we've had great success with our manager, who was there for eight years, and our general manager, so we prefer stability. But when it's time to act, we need to act. We're coming close to the end of the season and the transfer window for the summer, and we felt it was important to make this change expeditiously.

In light of Damien's departure, do you still think there is a need for a director of football at this club?

We're still confident the structure we've discussed is the right structure. That doesn't mean we won't look at tweaking it, but we feel a collective group of people making football decisions is healthy. The debate is healthy. Part of the reason we made this decision now is because we want to start the process of finding an excellent replacement.

Do you have a candidate in mind for the role?

We don't have any specific candidates in mind. Part of the reason we made this decision yesterday was to be in the best possible position to move forward as quickly as possible.

Is Damien's departure a reflection that the ownership group were unhappy with the return on player investment?

I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football. I wouldn't want to get specific about any particular decision that's been made. We feel there is enough talent on the pitch to win and, as I said, we've been dissatisfied, as most supporters have been, with the results so far. But we're also talking about the future - we have a strategy we need implemented and we felt Damien was probably not the right person to implement that strategy.

Does Damien Comolli's departure have any impact upon Kenny Dalglish's position as manager?

Absolutely not. We've got great confidence in Kenny. We feel the team is going to make strides in the future and he enjoys our full support.

Do you envisage any other changes in the senior management of the club?

We do not. It's a good question. We believe the senior management is very strong, Ian Ayre is an outstanding managing director. His charge is to raise revenue so that we can put the resources into strengthening our football club. We've got great confidence in the other people in football operations, and so the answer is there will be no future changes of significance.

In terms of transfer activity this summer, will Damien's departure affect plans that are already underway?

We've had a strategy that we have agreed on. There was some disconnect on the implementation of that. That strategy is a strong one and it will continue. We need to build a strong system under the first team. We're hard at work identifying transfer targets and we will be better next year.

Finally, as chairman of Liverpool Football Club, do you have a message for the supporters ahead of the very important game on Saturday?

We're all excited about this match. We certainly feel the team is healthy and the team is committed. We just attended a practice where they are excited about returning to Wembley. There's only one team in England that has the possibility of winning this cup and the Carling Cup, and I think our supporters around the world should feel very confident.

I'm seeing that the doctor Brukner is leaving. I find this a little surprising. He was supposed to be revolutionary in preventing muscle injuries in football players, and I thought he was highly respected. I have no idea about behind the scenes, however. But it does seem that we haven't had as many players getting hamstring injuries the last two years?

I also saw a rumor that the goalkeeping coach was going to leave. Haven't seen that confirmed by any press, however.

Wicked.... I love that these guys have thought about where the club is, and where they want it to be. Get in there and remove what you think is not the way forward and do it now. I like too, that we have time to look for quality replacements (maybe some in mind already?). If it is true about Cruyff (though he still has strong ties to Ajax) I would be well pleased even tough a lot will say our team are too old. I hope the lawyer is because of the Suarez mess, and that Comolli has gone for paying too much for the players we wanted. Why the Aussie went is a bit baffling, but again perhaps he was not the way forward. Men of action and I think it is great.

About Brukner, "the Aussie," I keep seeing quoted that someone has made a sports science table of sorts, and Liverpool are number one in the league in injury avoidance.

If this isn't made up, surely it's a good sign that he's done an excellent job and done exactly what he came in to do? Of course you always get those long term injuries with some players which happen due to contact in the game, and Gerrard's freak infections, but I'd say largely we've been without some of those annoying injuries which probably can be avoided, like Gerrard and Torres were always getting before. I'm really interested as to why he's gone.

In any case, I'll probably never know beyond reporters guesses.

What baring on the semi final has the sacking of a director of football? Bit early for excuses isn't it Dev? if anything it'll be the boost you need.

Wicked.... I love that these guys have thought about where the club is, and where they want it to be. Get in there and remove what you think is not the way forward and do it now. I like too, that we have time to look for quality replacements (maybe some in mind already?). If it is true about Cruyff (though he still has strong ties to Ajax) I would be well pleased even tough a lot will say our team are too old. I hope the lawyer is because of the Suarez mess, and that Comolli has gone for paying too much for the players we wanted. Why the Aussie went is a bit baffling, but again perhaps he was not the way forward. Men of action and I think it is great.

I think it unlikely that the departure of Comolli is merely down to payments in the t/f market. Remeber 50m was backed off against a large sum of it.

this was i'm sure a well thought out business decision that ultimately came to the conclusion that he is for the most part a blowhard.

delighted for Kenny though!

I think it unlikely that the departure of Comolli is merely down to payments in the t/f market. Remeber 50m was backed off against a large sum of it.

this was i'm sure a well thought out business decision that ultimately came to the conclusion that he is for the most part a blowhard.

Comolli is just a scapegoat, so none of the transfer dealings was Dalglish's fault was it.

Comolli is just a scapegoat, so none of the transfer dealings was Dalglish's fault was it.

Or was Dalglish being very diplomatic? For whatever reasons, it was him or Comolli and the owners went with Dalglish.

i'm yet to be convinced about the whole director of football idea, although whats probably more important is how its set up.

As i'm sure you'll know, i think this decision was an extremely positive one for your club.

I used to work with American business partners. Dont assume that Kenny is safe if you don't win the FA Cup! If you win the FA Cup they will give him until Xmas to show top 4 capability.

I used to work with American business partners. Dont assume that Kenny is safe if you don't win the FA Cup! If you win the FA Cup they will give him until Xmas to show top 4 capability.

Which is the length of time he should be given. He should have no complaints about that either.

Or was Dalglish being very diplomatic? For whatever reasons, it was him or Comolli and the owners went with Dalglish.

i'm yet to be convinced about the whole director of football idea, although whats probably more important is how its set up.

As i'm sure you'll know, i think this decision was an extremely positive one for your club.

Yes it is, it could only get better if they brought Rafa back.

What baring on the semi final has the sacking of a director of football? Bit early for excuses isn't it Dev? if anything it'll be the boost you need.

That was not my point of my initial reaction to the news- nothing about excuses Carmine, not sure how you can read it as such?

The timing is odd thats all and my first reaction to the news was just that and only that.

With our biggest game of the season in two days of the announcement, waiting a week to announce it would of made sense? To me in any case.And he was the DOF and not just the Tea Lady...one would of thought the news might have some impact!

Come on Red Men!!

br />

Edited by Devil

Liverpool: Jones, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Gerrard, Spearing, Henderson, Downing, Carroll, Suarez.

Subs: Gulacsi, Enrique, Maxi, Kuyt, Shelvey, Kelly, Bellamy.

I don't think the decision to buy players was just comolli's fault. Kenny has already said he asked for the players. What I do think was irresponsible was the amount we played for some of them. I'm pretty sure that Kenny will not have said ": I want this player, I don't care how much he costs"

What the F%#K are you on about? You know this how exactly? I used to work with an alien from Mars, but I have no idea about Martian politics and cannot read minds. Hence my decision not to make wild statements about the future of Mars in general

• Like 1

So we are in the FA cup final. The first half was very disappointing for us and Everton were the better side. The goal was a farce, and sorry though I am to say it, Carragher's days are numbered. Too many mistakes now. But was Distin's worse.....you betcha. Suarez should have passed that ball to Carroll for the goal, but it went in and showed he can finish; is that 4 in 6 now? Second half we were the team and even if it had gone to extra time I was confident we would get the goal. The Jones boy is not the way forward and I'm amazed he is our 3rd choice keeper, still he made an important catch at the end and I love him for it. On to the final which will be a much tougher test. I feel we can win that as well though; especially given that some under-performers are starting to look that bit better and more confident. Good to see Henderson taking the ball by the scruff of the neck (cue the blatant oxymoron), Downing running at and beating people, Carroll so much more involved and scoring in 2 games from 2. I would like to see Gerrard more dominant, and Coatez on the pitch. I would also like to see the drive that Bellamy has all the way through the team. Also I have forgotten that we even have Adam in the team and so it should be, let's use him as required, and see more of Maxi and Shelvey. I have said before that I am not Spearing's biggest fan, but today I though he played great, broke up a lot of play and got forward more. Happy days .........aaaaayyyyeee both thumbs up Fonzzie.