Makro Carpark

GaoYuk

Hi all

Maybe someone could help me with answering this question..?

I visit makro monthly in the car and each time I enter a nice chap hands me a laminated ticket with a number on it, sometimes I'll pop in in my pocket, sometimes I'll leave on the dashboard.

When I've done some shopping and about to exit the Carpark another fella will take it off me...so I'm abit confused as what is the point of this, I asked the wife and she just laughs abit and shrugs..

Is there a reason?

Cheers

GY

There are other places that do the same thing, some malls, hospitals, Tesco used to do it too. I was told, the reason, is something about protection from car thefts ...if you don't have a ticket when leaving, they figure the car has been stolen out of the lot. I'm not sure if that is correct, and I actually leave the ticket in my car, so if someone stole my car, they would have the ticket available. I've also never not had the ticket available to give back when leaving one of these places, so can't say what would happen in that case.

Anyway, that is the only answer I can come up with.

I once lost that ticket (well one of my kids) and after 20 mins was allowed to leave - the management at Tesco's wanted to see proof of ownership of my car, like you would keep those documents in the car!!! anyway I had a couple of pictures on my phone with me and the car and that did the trick!!! so yes all about theft!

• Like 2

Wouldn't have thought so, it isn't in a built up area or surrounded by anything of great interest...

It will if you leave it on the dashboard of your car and somchai yabba dabba doo see's it. Car and bikes are taken all the time the world over.

As said it's about supposedly stopping car theft, same in many places, but is a minimum wage 45kg security guard really go to do anything when challenged by a car just driving straight past him ?

Take a picture of the plates and call the cops? Same as a 200kg Sumo wrestler should do in the same job. Getting shot or run over for attempting to stop a car theft isn't a good idea.

Edited by impulse

Aren't they monitoring how long you spend there, so that people don't use that car park for other needs than shopping?

When I first came to Thailand, I was told by an experienced expat that it was an excuse to give Thai people a job. They used to do same at Big C but that has since stopped.

Many years ago, I forgot my parking card at Carrefour. The guard demanded 100 baht. I smiled and politely, gingerly offered 20. He accepted with thanks and sent me on my way.

I later found the card in one of my pockets and kept it in case of future need. I think I still have it somewhere.

T

Aren't they monitoring how long you spend there, so that people don't use that car park for other needs than shopping?

When I first came to Thailand, I was told by an experienced expat that it was an excuse to give Thai people a job. They used to do same at Big C but that has since stopped.

Was that the experienced expat on the 3rd barstool from the end?

I lost mine one time at Makro and they said no problem and let me out immediately.

Aha.... they sussed you out for a Mod already!

• Like 1

Many years ago, I forgot my parking card at Carrefour. The guard demanded 100 baht. I smiled and politely, gingerly offered 20. He accepted with thanks and sent me on my way.

I later found the card in one of my pockets and kept it in case of future need. I think I still have it somewhere.

T

Yes, they still accept them at Carrefour as far as I am aware.

T

Yes, they still accept them at Carrefour as far as I am aware.

I paid good money for it, and now it's useless. Darn it!

T

it is just to keep track on how many cars there are in the parking lot so everybody has a space to park , nothing more

( it was written like that on a big sign @ makro mukdahan like that )

• Like 2

If it's to keep track of how many cars there are in the parking lot, does somebody keep in contact with the entrance and exit booths to tally how many spaces are actually left? wacko.png

As said it's about supposedly stopping car theft, same in many places, but is a minimum wage 45kg security guard really go to do anything when challenged by a car just driving straight past him ?

Take a picture of the plates and call the cops? Same as a 200kg Sumo wrestler should do in the same job. Getting shot or run over for attempting to stop a car theft isn't a good idea.

Like the average security guard would be on the ball enough to take your number, more than likely he will be using the phone talking to his girlfriend when the thief exits anyway :)

Pretty obvious really if you think about it.You accept the card and PUT IT IN YOUR POCKET.Now if somebody tries to drive out without a ticket-------- Gotcha !!!! PS If you don't care leave the ticket in the car------especially on the dash so a thief can see it clearly---- OH---- and don't lock your doors--- causes a damned inconvenience when you're in a hurry !!!!!

I once lost that ticket (well one of my kids) and after 20 mins was allowed to leave - the management at Tesco's wanted to see proof of ownership of my car, like you would keep those documents in the car!!! anyway I had a couple of pictures on my phone with me and the car and that did the trick!!! so yes all about theft!

Exactly-- so its a good deterrent for a car thief------thank you----- for heavens sake you people give them some credit for trying to do something to protect your property

Big C at Ratchada Rd still do it.

I lost mine one time at Makro and they said no problem and let me out immediately.

They knew you were a global mod on TV though......................tongue.png

Perks and all that..............cheesy.gif