Skills Facilitating To Find A Job In Thailand (Especially It & Law)?

Hi everyone!

My planned move to Thailand has been interrupted by a bad car crush in Tanzania; my spouse died, I closed business in Africa and am back in Sweden with a tiny baby for a year or two before I regroup and try to move on my own.

From all options to get to Thailand finding a job seems to be most viable now. Since I have at least a year of time I was thinking to use it to study and brush up the skills that could help me to do that. Learning thai language is one. What else could help?

I have some knowledge in IT, mostly regular computer installation, HTML & CSS, and Photoshop. I could take courses in Photoshop, programming (C++?) or hardware/software. I also have a bachelor in law, so I could alternatively brush up that, take additional courses in human rights or international public law, or criminal law.

The problem is that I don't know what is needed, and what could help in my situation. So I wonder if anybody knows what jobs could be available and what skills could help me to get one? All insights much appreciated :)

The IT skills you have pay little and not employable (for you) in Thailand.

Your BA in Law insufficient and your subject interest in Law unemployable in Thailand.

Sort yourself out in Sweden preferably doing a Masters concentrating in International Trade/Tax Law and maybe just maybe get to Singapore/Hong Kong.

There is absolutely zero reason for you to be in Thailand right now.

Edited by yoshiwara

Hi again,

My point is to use my time to study to get the necessary skills. I'm not interested to move to Singapore or Hong Kong. I have planned to move to Thailand since two years back and now the plan went up in the air, so I need a new one.

What I want to get to know is what skills/education can facilitate getting a job in Thailand, so that I can apply and start studying that. I name IT and law as better fields for me, but I could as well go in for something else, as long as it is not engineering or medicine.

something else, as long as it is not engineering or medicine.

That closes one door for you then in Thailand as "engineering" is one of the bigger farang employers in Thailand certainly when it comes to petrochemical and O&G...wink.png

Skills/education alone are not going to definitely get you a job in Thailand, experience plays a very big part

The only industry where one could say with certainty you will get a job in Thailand is teaching English...thumbsup.gif

Unless you are rather well off financially, moving to Thailand as a single parent with an infant is not a responsible plan. You have previously stated that your African business venture did not go well. It is a good idea that you will return to Sweden and perhaps there you will regain some of your capital.

In respect to studying a skill that will allow employment in Thailand please note the specific restrictions for the following trades;

- engineering work in civil engineering branch concerning designing and calculation, organization, research, planning, testing, construction supervision or advising excluding specialized work;

- architectural work concerning designing, drawing of plan, estimation, construction directing or advising;

- office or secretarial work;

- legal or litigation services.

Perhaps, your first step should be to become fluent in Thai.

Great advice has already been given.

Its a real, real long shot...but I remember asking a human rights group a long-time back if they needed volunteers/staff help, and they told me about a couple of volunteer positions and one that was paid. The one paid worked on the legal end of things, helping refugees with their status..etc.

So if you really want to stick with law, maybe you could contact one of these agencies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_non-governmental_organizations_in_Thailand

and ask them if they have any paid positions that need experience in law. If they do (dont hold your breath) ask them what kind of training or experience they require...then at least you have a direction..

Thank you for all the good input!

I know it's important to make sure the baby is fine, so I have some money frozen down so that I have means to make through the first time in Thailand and to return if all goes south. Can't do that without, not with a kid.

Thanks for the reminder on restrictions, I found the whole list too.

Great idea about the NGOs, I know its probably a far cry, but one gotta try everything :)

And still one question, if anyone knows what can one study within IT to land a job or to be more employable?

• 4 weeks later...