I Need An Iban Number

I need an IBAN number ASAP. Does anyone know a website to find out. I can't find anything on the RBOS website.

It's for the Royal Bank of Scotland - Tower Street London.

Will this IBAN number be the same from all countries? Or maybe there is one IBAN number for RBOS?

Wow, thanks very much for the swift replies!smile.png

It's not for my account it's for my credit card - Cashplus. I can phone them later in the day but want to get it now online but still can't find it.

I have the account number and bank and swift number - would this be enough?

An RBS IBAN should be:

GB99 RBOS <your 6-digit sort code> <your 8-digit account number>

So, for example:

GB99 RBOS 123456 98765432

Either way, you can find it on your bank statements and via your online banking.

Ah, so if that's the case for every number then I have the Sortcode and account number, I'm ready to go - thanks a lot!

I dont understand what you mean about "for my credit card". Do you mean that you want to pay your CC bill via an international transfer to an IBAN number? If so you will have to send the money to GB99 RBOS <CC receiving account sort code> <CC receiving account number>. And those two last numbers should appear on your CC bill where is says "make payment here" or similar. They will NOT be your own account details. You also have to quote your CC number as the paying reference.

I think that if I wanted to do this I would transfer the money from here to my own RBS account using my IBAN number and then pay my credit card as a bill from my RBS online banking. You may come unstuck trying to do it directly. And I suspect that for international transfers Thai banks use SWIFT+account number rather than just an IBAN number anyway.

An RBS IBAN should be:

GB99 RBOS <your 6-digit sort code> <your 8-digit account number>

So, for example:

GB99 RBOS 123456 98765432

Either way, you can find it on your bank statements and via your online banking.

Ah, so if that's the case for every number then I have the Sortcode and account number, I'm ready to go - thanks a lot!

WARNING!!

The information given by BlackPuddingBerta is not correct. The two digits after GB are the check digits in a modulus check and will not be the same for every account. The whole idea behind the IBAN (international bank account number) is that sending bank can check if the stated beneficiary account number is correct, which would not be possible if all information other than the actual account number were the same for every account.

Sophon

The information given by BlackPuddingBerta is not correct. The two digits after GB are the check digits in a modulus check and will not be the same for every account. The whole idea behind the IBAN (international bank account number) is that sending bank can check if the stated beneficiary account number is correct, which would not be possible if all information other than the actual account number were the same for every account.

I have three entirely different NatWest accounts, with entirely different sort codes and account numbers. Their IBANs all start the same way and are completed by the sort code and account number, as I mentioned. I dont know whether this would apply to all other banks but as RBS and NatWest use the same systems I suspect that they at least both work the same way.

I've also noticed that other IBANs for other accounts with UK banks have started with GB99.

Of course the best answer will be to look the IBAN up on a bank statement or via online banking, as I mentioned.

I have three entirely different NatWest accounts, with entirely different sort codes and account numbers. Their IBANs all start the same way and are completed by the sort code and account number, as I mentioned. I dont know whether this would apply to all other banks but as RBS and NatWest use the same systems I suspect that they at least both work the same way.

I've also noticed that other IBANs for other accounts with UK banks have started with GB99.

Of course the best answer will be to look the IBAN up on a bank statement or via online banking, as I mentioned.

If you go to RBOS's own website they use this account number GB29 RBOS 6016 1331 9268 19 as an example of how a IBAN no. in the UK could look, so it's obvious that not all RBOS accounts have IBANs starting with GB99. It would also be counter to the whole idea behind the IBAN system.

If Neeranam just puts GB99RBOS in front of sort code and account number there is a fair risk that the payment will be rejected, probably not by his Thai bank but by receiving or correspondent bank. If that happens considerable charges will be deducted from the amount before the remainder being returned to his Thai bank account.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

If you go to RBOS's own website they use this account number GB29 RBOS 6016 1331 9268 19 as an example of how a IBAN no. in the UK could look, so it's obvious that not all RBOS accounts have IBANs starting with GB99. It would also be counter to the whole idea behind the IBAN system.

If Neeranam just puts GB99RBOS in front of sort code and account number there is a fair risk that the payment will be rejected, probably not by his Thai bank but by receiving or correspondent bank. If that happens considerable charges will be deducted from the amount before the remainder being returned to his Thai bank account.

Maybe 99 is a catch-all? All I know is that I use GB99 for many accounts and they all work and nothing has ever bounced back. I receive quite a lot of incoming international transfers. I also saw the GB99 given as an example on an RBS website help page.

Maybe 99 is a catch-all? All I know is that I use GB99 for many accounts and they all work and nothing has ever bounced back. I receive quite a lot of incoming international transfers. I also saw the GB99 given as an example on an RBS website help page.

There is no "catch-all", either the modulus check is correct or it isn't, and in order to be correct it needs the correct check digits.

If sending/correspondent/receiving bank's systems checks the IBAN number and the check digits are incorrect, then the system will reject the payment. If the payment is rejected in receiving bank they might have a manual process to check the payment, and if the stated BBAN (local account number) is correct then the payment may well be posted (albeit a little delayed). Some banks have not yet fully incorporated the use of IBANs and don't check them correctly but only shed the extra IBAN characters, but banks within the EU are obligated to change their systems to correctly validate IBAN numbers (however, I don't know exactly what time frame they have been given). What I am trying to say here is, that just because you are able to do something today that doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to do the same tomorrow (or with another bank).

I know that I would not be able to make a transfer to an incorrect IBAN from my home country bank, their systems would correctly reject the payment as required by the EU. And before anyone stars with the usual EU diatribe, this is not for the benefit of the banks but to protect the customer from the very high charges imposed when a payment require manual handling because the payer hit the wrong key when creating the transfer.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon