untidy

untrustworthy

vague

vain

vengeful

vulgar

weak-willed

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

That's all well and good, but there must be a few bad things too.......

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with the matrix is that it's effectiveness is subject to the "victim's" objectivity or lack thereof. For example, more often then not, anyone with an opinion that differs from the "victim's" is immediately moved into the "hater" box and everything they say is ignored, while everyone that agrees with the "victim" is moved into one of the the loving-caring boxes.

That's not how the matrix is designed. It accepts negative criticism as valid based on the SOURCE.

The problem with the matrix is that it's effectiveness is subject to the "victim's" objectivity or lack thereof. For example, more often then not, anyone with an opinion that differs from the "victim's" is immediately moved into the "hater" box and everything they say is ignored, while everyone that agrees with the "victim" is moved into one of the the loving-caring boxes.

That's not how the matrix is designed. It accepts negative criticism as valid based on the SOURCE.

What do you mean by "valid"?

Who judges "the source"?

Sounds like a good basis for labelling and damning those with whom you disagree and commending those whom you support when they commit the same sins of abuse.

SC

Who judges "the source"?

Sounds like a good basis for labelling and damning those with whom you disagree and commending those whom you support when they commit the same sins of abuse.

SC

Oh please. The basis is clearly defined in the chart. You are telling me you don't understand the chart?coffee1.gif

Who judges "the source"?

SC

Oh please. The basis is clearly defined in the chart. You are telling me you don't understand the chart?

Exactly...

Who judges "the source"?

SC

If it's from The Washington Post, Slate.com or Salon.com it is judged a valid source.

Who judges "the source"?

SC

If it's from The Washington Post, Slate.com or Salon.com it is judged a valid source.

I'm not criticising the principle, other than that it will be used as a means of legitimising the prejudice, bickering and name-calling that we already see. I see the most constructive use of this principle would be in the review of our own material, before we post it, rather than in the use of the tool as a means of criticising the posting of others.

SC

Freedom of speech refers to political speech, not name-calling and or vulgarities.

Not so, I'm afraid. No such specificity or limitation is implied in the phrase (or typically in law, as far as I know) nor are they by any means universally perceived.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Here's an interesting link regarding Conversational Terrorism that we could all take a few hints from. It will take 10 minutes to read it, and is somewhat enlightening.

The following is a brief synopsis of what the article is about, but I still suggest you follow the link for clearer definition and examples - it's quite a good read.

"First, we have the Ad Hominem Variants where you attack the person as a way to avoid truth, science, or logic which might otherwise prove you wrong. Next are the Sleight of Mind Fallacies, which act as "mental magic" to make sure the unwanted subject disappears. Then, we move on to Delay Tactics, which are subtle means to buy time when put on the spot. Then, the ever popular Question as Opportunity ploys, where any question can be deftly averted. Finally, we have the Cheap Shot Tactics and Irritants, which are basically "below the belt" punches."

http://www.vandruff.com/art_converse.html

• Like 1

Freedom of speech refers to political speech, not name-calling and or vulgarities.

Not so, I'm afraid. No such specificity or limitation is implied in the phrase (or typically in law, as far as I know) nor are they by any means universally perceived.

As far as you know indeed.

• Like 1

Yes, indeed.You imply, in a gratuitously derisive way, that I'm wrong or uninformed. I used the phrase precisely because I recognized that I might be, so please inform me. Which law specifies that "freedom of speech" is a right limited only to "political speech"?

Edited by SteeleJoe

Yes, indeed.You imply, in a gratuitously derisive way, that I'm wrong or uninformed. I used the phrase precisely because I recognized that I might be, so please inform me. Which law specifies that "freedom of speech" is a right limited only to "political speech"?

I think you're maybe confusing "freedom of expression" with "freedom of speech".. However, I could be wrong and I don't want to offend anyone, so if I'm wrong feel free to express freely what you think.

• Like 1

I might be wrong as well.

I think you're maybe confusing "freedom of expression" with "freedom of speech".. However, I could be wrong and I don't want to offend anyone, so if I'm wrong feel free to express freely what you think.

Maybe but I don't think so. I am aware of the expression and that some make a distinction between the two, but I am not aware that either limits the freedom only to "political speech".

DISCLAIMER: I know that Wiki is hardly infallible but it's easy and I think in this instance it can perhaps be trusted to a reasonable degree:

" Freedom of speech is the political right to communicate one's opinions and ideas using one's body and property to anyone who is willing to receive them. The term freedom of expression is sometimes used synonymously, but includes any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used."

Obviously the right is generally deemed important and has been enshrined in the constitutions or legal framework of many countries because of the importance of protecting the right to political dissent. However, clearly people recognize the right to all sorts of expression even that which has no discernible links to politics.

If I want to tell everyone I know that I hate asparagus and anyone who doesn't is f***ing verminous moron or make a film about it or write it on the Internet - then I'd be a very strange and unpleasant person but I believe I would be allowed to in a country with Freedom of Speech.

"Today freedom of speech, or the freedom of expression, is recognized in international and regional human rights law. The right is enshrined in Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights, Article 13 of the American Convention on Human Rights and Article 9 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights.[7] Based on John Milton's arguments, freedom of speech is understood as a multi-faceted right that includes not only the right to express, or disseminate, information and ideas, but three further distinct aspects:

the right to seek information and ideas;

the right to receive information and ideas;

the right to impart information and ideas"

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

41.000 posts, I wonder how one can ventilate his opinion on a forum for 41,000 times and still having healthy and free life, getting enough fresh air and maintain a normal social life with real friends. Is that really possible ? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Here's an interesting link regarding Conversational Terrorism that we could all take a few hints from. It will take 10 minutes to read it, and is somewhat enlightening.

The following is a brief synopsis of what the article is about, but I still suggest you follow the link for clearer definition and examples - it's quite a good read.

"First, we have the Ad Hominem Variants where you attack the person as a way to avoid truth, science, or logic which might otherwise prove you wrong. Next are the Sleight of Mind Fallacies, which act as "mental magic" to make sure the unwanted subject disappears. Then, we move on to Delay Tactics, which are subtle means to buy time when put on the spot. Then, the ever popular Question as Opportunity ploys, where any question can be deftly averted. Finally, we have the Cheap Shot Tactics and Irritants, which are basically "below the belt" punches."

http://www.vandruff.com/art_converse.html

Excellent article... Another must read The Art of Being Right by Arthur Schopenhauer

Its called freedom of speech, a concept woefully lacking in this community.

Nice wishful thinking.

I think you have not yet realized where you are

This is Thailand and there is no such thing as freedom of speech here.

I suppose we're all entitled to our own opinion, and, apparently, within reasonable constraints, to voice it.

I say repress freedom of speech and suffer the consequences.

I suppose we're all entitled to our own opinion, and, apparently, within reasonable constraints, to voice it.

I say repress freedom of speech and suffer the consequences.

If you want freedom of speech you could always start your own forum...

>A post discussing forum moderation has been removed.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Speech is free. Publication is not. We are none of us obliged to promulgate the opinions of others

• Like 2