Has Your English Vocabulary Shrank Over The Years?

Pacificperson

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One time on a trip back to the US, United Airlines misplaced my bag and informed me that they would deliver it to my residence when it showed up.

It was around 2:30 in the morning when I heard a knock upon the door. Trying to wake up as I answered the door, I was greeted by an Asian man telling me he was from UA and was delivering my bags.

I was staring at him in disbelief and he asked if there was anything else..

I told him his English skills were very good and I was impressed. He looked at me as if I was crazy, told me to have a better night and left.

I was still somewhat asleep and had not caught on I was in back in a English speaking country. ( well, where I'm from Spanish seems to have taken over now as the language of choice...)

I had not forgotten English...just was not used to hearing it spoken.

• Like 1

Actually I think that my English language vocabulary has increased since I started using Thaivisa.com. I have to regularly use the dictionary to find the meaning of some of those 5 syllable words that the Brits like to use!

• Like 2

Actually I think that my English language vocabulary has increased since I started using Thaivisa.com. I have to regularly use the dictionary to find the meaning of some of those 5 syllable words that the Brits like to use!

Like monosyllabic (rather apt for the thread)?

Suggest op talk to oneself... often the only way to get some sense in the land of sXen-o-pho-bi-a.

loose it.

classic.

Must be the sun as I see so many guys on this forum spell lose' as 'loose'.

Yes, I forget some long words, although these days I speak English 90% of the time. I spoke much better Thai 10 years ago and much better English. Maybe it is age.

I forget words mostly things like food items. the other day for the life of me I could not remember the word "tamarin" but knew the Thai word for it.

It seems that more and more some things are just easier to express in Thai than in Engish, especially the ludicrous.

• Like 1

I forget words mostly things like food items. the other day for the life of me I could not remember the word "tamarin" but knew the Thai word for it.

It seems that more and more some things are just easier to express in Thai than in Engish, especially the ludicrous.

I think when you are constantly trying to learn or just take in another language your head gets filled with new words every day. The OP has a point when out in public with Thai's you are so busy trying to master Thai that you put English to the back of your head, when asked a question in English it's sometimes hard to pull a complicated word from the back of your head.

Or is that just me?.

Has it shrank , shrunk or shrek even ?.....dunno , but I know of many native English speakers who seem to have adopted an awful pidgin speak that makes mr cringe !!!

It makes me cringe too. I think it is the result of frequently becoming over-refreshed in bars with folk who have learned their English in a certain style and the native speaker being forced into adopting this gibberish in order to be understood.

Use it or lose it indeed.

Edited by baboon

My son visited last year and after 3 days he told me that if I don't stop speaking pidgin English to him then he'd give me a thick ear. He told me that he even noticed that when I was talking to my friends that we were all using pidgin to varying degrees and it was driving him nuts.

I think we tend to tone down our use of complex words for the sake of our Thai wives or girlfriends when in mixed company and I've got into a bad habit of applying Thai syntax when using English. i.e I'll say "he go seven already, come back 15 minutes" rather than "he's just gone to the 7/11 but will be back in 15 minutes". And I'll say this to a native English speaker as well as a Thai. It's a bad habit I'll have to work on.

However we also play a game where we'll have a conversation using the most complex and convoluted words and varying levels of slang we can think of and it drives even good English speaking Thais crazy. They know we're speaking English but even if we're talking about normal everyday matters (as in the weather, or food, or whatever), they don't have a clue. And occasionally somebody will use a word that nobody else knows or disputes the correct meaning, and then it turns into a TV kind of discussion about the correct usage.....if you get my drift. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Although I probably attempt to speak English in monosyllables more often in Thailand, I still read and write in full-blown English everyday and all the television, movies, documentaries I watch, websites I use and crossword puzzles I do are in English, so I can't see any reason why my vocabulary would be diminished. In fact I am able to do more reading for pleasure in Thailand than I did before I retired, so I expect my vocabulary has expanded somewhat.

Wherever I've worked in the world I've had British colleagues whose English was excellent, in marked contrast to the majority of those who struggle to cobble together a few sentences on Thai Visa. I used to think the English and Scottish educational systems did a fantastic job, at least when it came to language skills. That delusion was quickly shattered after I started to read Thai Visa regularly.

What's most alarming is the quality of English used by those who announce on some Thai Visa forums that they are in Thailand teaching English or are threatening to come here with that intention. In one recent thread several "teachers" kept referring to the head teacher at their school as the "principle."

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Many Times I a fumbling for an English word and cannot find it . It is amazing how the mind adapts I have been here in Thailand for 9 years and speak pretty good Thai.

One of my co workers speaks very good english but sometimes I will say "Whats that word "

Its called LIFE I guess

@Pacificperson: I think the point you have raised is a very good point and a very serious one at that !

It baffles me to see that many people write-in very silly responses and/or comments; this surely proves the general 'shallowness" which is obviously prevalent within a large group of TV readers/posters.

Personally; I love the English language since it enables one to express oneself utterly accurately. Combine that with the fact that "connotation is everything", speaking/reading between the lines is as important as being grammatically correct.

I have lived/worked in Thailand for a little over 21 years and I too find myself searching for the right word, at times.

The only things that will "keep-up" a language is: (1) Reading Books and (2) Keeping-up the practice with reasonably educated people who speak the language correctly.

Languages do evolve (read: change) over time, and I recently had the pleasure of re-reading a piece by Sir Winston Churchill, which was written over 100 years ago and the language really blew me away . . . . not only that; I had to look-up half a dozen words: a thoroughly enjoyable experience !

Have a read of this and enjoy the English:

Subject: WINSTON CHURCHILL ON ISLAM

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its

votaries!

Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as

hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy.

The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly

systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of

property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live.

A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of

its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman

must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or

a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam

has ceased to be a great power among men.

Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities - but the influence of the religion paralyses the social

development of those who follow it.

No stronger retrograde force exists in the world.

Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith.

It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is

sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the

civilisation of ancient Rome."

-Sir Winston Churchill (The River War, first edition, Vol. II,

pages 248-50 (London: Longmans, Green & Co., 1899).

Interesting speech Sir Winston. I understood every word.

Shrunk NOT shrank

His English vocabulary shrank over the years.

His English vocabulary has shrunk over the years.

Shrunk, shrank, shrink, shrinked, shrunken. My wife says "wash machine make t shirt grow small". I tried to explain shrink to her but it all got too hard because to her, all those 5 words mean the same, "grow small".

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

I have been here long enough to have gone through different phases. There were years when little or no English was spoken by me. Later my brother commented that I had developed an accent. I guess I was clipping my syllables instead of slurring them.

After moving from Bangkok to Chiang Rai 6 years ago, I started writing a blog and rediscovered my native tongue. With my wife speaking such good English now, my Thai is beginning to suffer. Baby talk or pidgin English has never been an option, not even in Hawaii when it was the norm at school.

• Like 1