Oatmeal

robblok

It seems that oatmeal got a bad rap here because of phytic acid, that would cause trouble as it binds with minerals so you might not get enough of those minerals it binds with.

Also people say it spikes the blood sugar, but every carb does that if you take a high enough dose. For me it does not spike it that much if i only take 60 grams instead of 100 grams (dry weight)

But getting back to the Phytic acid, beans / tofu / soy and many nuts have higher quantities of it as oatmeal and are promoted as healthy so can anyone explain to my why oatmeal got the bad rap ?

I am talking here about normal unprocessed steel cut oats, i love em with some cinnamon and milk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytic_acid

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have changed my diet condsiderably,i now eat raw oatmeal for breakfast everyday, i have lost 5kilos in 3months,blood sugar reduced and i don't feel hungry until 1pm.

I soak my oats overnight,add some almonds and a few raisons,and cut up a banana as well,some milk and unsweetened natural yoghurt.The jury is out on soaking oats to reduce phytic acid,but its definitely the best start to a day that i have found

Edited by machans88

News to me that oatmeal has a bad rep. AFAIK it is a quite healthy food.

It's glycemic index is fairly low (58), in fact it is recommended by the American Diabetes Assn. (Of course the instant version is a bit worse). Adding cinnamon makes it all the better as cinnamon helps stabilize blood sugar.

The jury is still out on phytic acid. While it does bind with calcium, iron and zinc, it is also a powerful antioxidant.

Would make sense not to take mineral supplements at the same time as oatmeal, but beyond that I really wouldn't worry.

Many people are staying away of grains even whole ones like oats, after reading more about it especially on paleo sites it was the phytic acid that was the problem. I myself still believe that its a good food.

Thanks on the infor on the phytic acid as i thought it was clear that it was bad.. so there is still a debate about it. Nice to know and yes i knew that adding cinnamon to it would make it better. But i do it also for taste.

Oats are a great food.

Soaking them overnight for better absorption is the way to go.

They actually regulate blood sugar and are good for nervous system, bowels and cholesterol.

I thought you were against grains even whole ones ? Must have misunderstood some of your posts. Actually after reading your post i started to look why people thought oats were bad and most answers came back about the phytic acid.

I have to say Rob that it was you, constantly going on about oats for breakfast, that made me start to try them - at first I reckoned they were ghastly but I've become strangly adicted to them now, there's no spike in my readings although I only eat a small measured amount every morning, their low GI factor does help.

I have to say Rob that it was you, constantly going on about oats for breakfast, that made me start to try them - at first I reckoned they were ghastly but I've become strangly adicted to them now, there's no spike in my readings although I only eat a small measured amount every morning, their low GI factor does help.

I am still eating them and will keep doing so.. i was just researching why some said they were not good. I like my oats a lot i actually enjoy them so I am in no rush to remove them from my diet.

Oats are a great food.

They actually regulate blood sugar and are good for nervous system, bowels and cholesterol.

I thought you were against grains even whole ones ? Must have misunderstood some of your posts. Actually after reading your post i started to look why people thought oats were bad and most answers came back about the phytic acid.

No I have never been against grains.

I am a big fan of brown rice and oats. You need to buy organic oats as the non organic are nowhere near as nutrient rich.

I used to eat oats every day but I changed and now eat boiled eggs every morning. The reason is that I get hungry too quickly after oats so I need more protein in the morning. I might experiment this week and go back to oats with some protein powder. I like them with banana, almonds and pumpkin seeds.

I am also constantly experimenting with my food to see what keeps me filled the longest. I added 3 baked eggs to the meal. Actually i have quite a large breakfast as it is said it is better to taper down your food. Most in the morning least in the evening. Anyway for me hunger is a problem even though im no longer on a real restrictive diet. I stopped losing weight (on purpose) and now am building a bit of extra muscle slowly. So i do increase in weight a bit but not that much.

But still i have the urge to eat more and that does make it a bit hard at times so I am always looking for improvements in my diet.

Oats are a great food.

How can carbs (oats) regulate blood sugar? Oats are virtually sugar to a diabetic person.

Oats are a great food.

No I have never been against grains.

I am a big fan of brown rice and oats. You need to buy organic oats as the non organic are nowhere near as nutrient rich.

I used to eat oats every day but I changed and now eat boiled eggs every morning. The reason is that I get hungry too quickly after oats so I need more protein in the morning. I might experiment this week and go back to oats with some protein powder. I like them with banana, almonds and pumpkin seeds.

That's the way I do it. I make a WPC drink (70 g WPC) and then eat the oats. I'm not hungry for a long time. My oats are not organic and my WPC is not Dr Mercola's.smile.png

I am also constantly experimenting with my food to see what keeps me filled the longest. I added 3 baked eggs to the meal. Actually i have quite a large breakfast as it is said it is better to taper down your food. Most in the morning least in the evening. Anyway for me hunger is a problem even though im no longer on a real restrictive diet. I stopped losing weight (on purpose) and now am building a bit of extra muscle slowly. So i do increase in weight a bit but not that much.

But still i have the urge to eat more and that does make it a bit hard at times so I am always looking for improvements in my diet.

What is a "baked egg"?

In the OP you mentioned steel cut oats are best. I thought you were getting the Scottish oats from Tesco - which are rolled oats. I was getting steel oats from Villa Market about a year ago, but they don't stock them anymore. The were the Rob's Mill brand. I absolutely love them.

What is a "baked egg"?

In the OP you mentioned steel cut oats are best. I thought you were getting the Scottish oats from Tesco - which are rolled oats. I was getting steel oats from Villa Market about a year ago, but they don't stock them anymore. The were the Rob's Mill brand. I absolutely love them.

Yea but I love the Scottish oats more, i seldom encounter steel cut oats.

I mean just a pan fried egg (no fat)

Oats are a great food.

How can carbs (oats) regulate blood sugar? Oats are virtually sugar to a diabetic person.

http://www.diethealthclub.com/diabetic-diet/oats.html

Oats are a nutrient rich cereal grain that grows even in poor soil conditions. Known scientifically as Avena sativa, they are one of the most nutritionally complete foods, with high content of vitamins, minerals and fiber. The seeds are rolled or crushed into oatmeal or ground into oat flour. Oats contains a wide array of antioxidants which help maintain a healthy heart. Oats are very beneficial for diabetes patients as they help in regulating blood glucose levels, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

They are easy to digest making them the perfect food for those with digestive problems.

In comparison to other cereals, oats have one of the highest proportions of proteins. They also have one of the highest concentrations of the vitamin B family as well as high levels of vitamin K, vitamin E and minerals like calcium, magnesium, manganese, copper and zinc. Their soluble fiber content is higher than corn, rice or whole wheat.

Diabetics often suffer from related diseases like heart disease and kidney disease. Studies show that oatmeal can help reduce cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. The fiber in oats may have a beneficial impact on LDL cholesterol levels in the bloodstream. This soluble fiber also provides a sustained release of glucose into the bloodstream. Saponin, a hormone-like substance found in oats, helps the pancreas regulate the production of insulin. This is how eating oats helps to normalize blood glucose levels in diabetics and can even reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Weight loss is an important aspect of diabetes management and can even delay the onset of diabetes in pre-diabetics. The soluble fiber in oatmeal can absorb a lot of water. This helps the digestive process and makes one feel full for a longer period, thus helping one to maintain a healthy body weight. They are also beneficial for individuals with gluten intolerance, as the protein found in oats differs from gluten, making oats easier to digest.

Oats are a rich source of magnesium, a mineral that is needed in the manufacture of many enzymes. Some of these enzymes play a part in insulin secretion and the body’s use of glucose. Studies have shown that diets rich in whole grains with high levels of magnesium have a beneficial effect on the heart and may also lower the risk of type 2 diabetes. Studies have also shown that type 2 diabetics who ate oatmeal or oat bran rich foods had a much lower increase in post prandial blood sugar than those who ate white rice or bread. For diabetics, it is advisable to start the day with a blood stabilizing food like oatmeal. This may ensure that blood sugar levels stay under control for the rest of the day especially when followed by fiber rich food. More on calories in oats

The distinctive flavor of oats is a result of the roasting process that they undergo upon harvesting. The hulling process doesn’t strip them of their bran and germ. This allows them to retain their fiber and nutrient content. Different processes are used to obtain the different types of oat products. These are generally used to make baked goods, stuffing and breakfast cereals. Some of the different types of oat products are:

• Instant oatmeal is produced by cooking the grains and then rolling them into thin layers. Sugar, salt and other ingredients are often added to result in finished food with distinctive flavors.
  • Oat groats are the unflattened kernels which are used as breakfast cereal and for stuffing.
  • Steel-cut oats are produced slicing the grain into thin slices with steel blades. They have a dense and chewy texture.
  • Oat bran is the outer layer of the grain that is found under the hull. While it is found in rolled oats and in steel cut oats, it may also be purchased separately and cooked to make hot cereal.
  • Oat flour is used in baking, often being combined with wheat and other flavors when making leavened bread.
  • Old-fashioned oats are first steamed and then rolled resulting in a flatter shape.
  • Quick-cooking oats undergo the same process as old-fashioned oats but are cut into fine bits before being rolled.

These different types of oats require different cooking methods for making hot cereal or porridge. Generally, it is best to add the oats to cold water and then let them simmer. Steel-cut and rolled oats require two parts of water for every part of oats. Rolled oats take approximately half the time of the approximately 30 minutes it takes to cook steel-cut oats. Oat groats require more water and more time to cook. About three parts water for one part oats should be left to simmer for about 50 minutes. For added flavor you can consider adding nuts and fruits to your bowl of oatmeal.

They are easy to digest making them the perfect food for those with digestive problems.

In comparison to other cereals, oats have one of the highest proportions of proteins. They also have one of the highest concentrations of the vitamin B family as well as high levels of vitamin K, vitamin E and minerals like calcium, magnesium, manganese, copper and zinc. Their soluble fiber content is higher than corn, rice or whole wheat.

Diabetics often suffer from related diseases like heart disease and kidney disease. Studies show that oatmeal can help reduce cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. The fiber in oats may have a beneficial impact on LDL cholesterol levels in the bloodstream. This soluble fiber also provides a sustained release of glucose into the bloodstream. Saponin, a hormone-like substance found in oats, helps the pancreas regulate the production of insulin. This is how eating oats helps to normalize blood glucose levels in diabetics and can even reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Weight loss is an important aspect of diabetes management and can even delay the onset of diabetes in pre-diabetics. The soluble fiber in oatmeal can absorb a lot of water. This helps the digestive process and makes one feel full for a longer period, thus helping one to maintain a healthy body weight. They are also beneficial for individuals with gluten intolerance, as the protein found in oats differs from gluten, making oats easier to digest.

Oats are a rich source of magnesium, a mineral that is needed in the manufacture of many enzymes. Some of these enzymes play a part in insulin secretion and the body’s use of glucose. Studies have shown that diets rich in whole grains with high levels of magnesium have a beneficial effect on the heart and may also lower the risk of type 2 diabetes. Studies have also shown that type 2 diabetics who ate oatmeal or oat bran rich foods had a much lower increase in post prandial blood sugar than those who ate white rice or bread. For diabetics, it is advisable to start the day with a blood stabilizing food like oatmeal. This may ensure that blood sugar levels stay under control for the rest of the day especially when followed by fiber rich food. More on calories in oats

The distinctive flavor of oats is a result of the roasting process that they undergo upon harvesting. The hulling process doesn’t strip them of their bran and germ. This allows them to retain their fiber and nutrient content. Different processes are used to obtain the different types of oat products. These are generally used to make baked goods, stuffing and breakfast cereals. Some of the different types of oat products are:

• Instant oatmeal is produced by cooking the grains and then rolling them into thin layers. Sugar, salt and other ingredients are often added to result in finished food with distinctive flavors.
  • Oat groats are the unflattened kernels which are used as breakfast cereal and for stuffing.
  • Steel-cut oats are produced slicing the grain into thin slices with steel blades. They have a dense and chewy texture.
  • Oat bran is the outer layer of the grain that is found under the hull. While it is found in rolled oats and in steel cut oats, it may also be purchased separately and cooked to make hot cereal.
  • Oat flour is used in baking, often being combined with wheat and other flavors when making leavened bread.
  • Old-fashioned oats are first steamed and then rolled resulting in a flatter shape.
  • Quick-cooking oats undergo the same process as old-fashioned oats but are cut into fine bits before being rolled.

These different types of oats require different cooking methods for making hot cereal or porridge. Generally, it is best to add the oats to cold water and then let them simmer. Steel-cut and rolled oats require two parts of water for every part of oats. Rolled oats take approximately half the time of the approximately 30 minutes it takes to cook steel-cut oats. Oat groats require more water and more time to cook. About three parts water for one part oats should be left to simmer for about 50 minutes. For added flavor you can consider adding nuts and fruits to your bowl of oatmeal.

Oats are a great food.

Oats are a nutrient rich cereal grain that grows even in poor soil conditions. Known scientifically as Avena sativa, they are one of the most nutritionally complete foods, with high content of vitamins, minerals and fiber. The seeds are rolled or crushed into oatmeal or ground into oat flour. Oats contains a wide array of antioxidants which help maintain a healthy heart. Oats are very beneficial for diabetes patients as they help in regulating blood glucose levels, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

Most of that is just unsubstantiated drivel that's not even worth reading. It sounds like a promotional blurb for oats. I've seen similar blurbs for so many different "amazing" foods.

They can't even get their cooking instructions right:

"Steel-cut and rolled oats require two parts of water for every part of oats. Rolled oats take approximately half the time of the approximately 30 minutes it takes to cook steel-cut oats":

It doesn't take 30 minutes to cook steel cut oats and the proportions of water to oats is at least 3 to 1.

Oats are a great food.

Most of that is just unsubstantiated drivel that's not even worth reading. It sounds like a promotional blurb for oats. I've seen similar blurbs for so many different "amazing" foods.

They can't even get their cooking instructions right:

"Steel-cut and rolled oats require two parts of water for every part of oats. Rolled oats take approximately half the time of the approximately 30 minutes it takes to cook steel-cut oats":

It doesn't take 30 minutes to cook steel cut oats and the proportions of water to oats is at least 3 to 1.

Why don't you pick on something that is substantive in your criticism rather than the cooking instructions ?

You asked for some evidence about regulating blood sugar levels and it is provided here.

It is consistent with many other articles about oats as well.

Come on which bits are 'drivel'?

Here is another article saying the same things.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/feb/20/healthandwellbeing.features11

Edited by Tolley

Trolly:

I'm also a fan of oatmeal (with nuts, seeds, fruits, etc.) for morning breakfast. Recently, however, I read some criticism of oatmeal because the grain lacks enough insoluble fiber ( even if milling process leaves enough of original ynutrition)

I will try to recall reference (a book about glycemic load, this one?), but I believe the author-doctor's argument went something like this:

insoluble fiber delays absorption long enough so all kinds of interesting (i.e. good) biological, chemical - even bacterial - processes can take place. Will try to locate reference.

Bottom line, I started to add things like wheat bran (insoluable) to morning oatmeal mix, but I believe doctor just wasn't so keen on oatmeal for its (comparative) lack of insoluble fiber, despite all of its other positive values.

Anyone heard of this? Whatever you think of oatmeal, I found his ideas about fiber types and digestion compelling.

Edited by jimrothstein

Why don't you pick on something that is substantive in your criticism rather than the cooking instructions ?

You asked for some evidence about regulating blood sugar levels and it is provided here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/feb/20/healthandwellbeing.features11

You paste half a book on here and expect me to critique all the points.

Your original comment was that oats regulate blood sugar.

None of what you posted is evidence, it's just an exaggerated opinion on how good oats are.

If you have insulin resistance, eating bowls of oats will not help you one bit.

If your glucose metabolism is normal, then you can eat them to your heart's content, just as you can get by eating all other carbs.

I eat oats. I like oats, but I certainly don't give them a fraction of the credit your cut 'n pasted encyclopedia of oats gives them.

There's no doubt you'll find plenty of articles saying the same thing, because people will keep copying and pasting what they read in the original article.

Edited by tropo

None of what you posted is evidence, it's just an exaggerated opinion on how good oats are.

If your glucose metabolism is normal, then you can eat them to your heart's content, just as you can get by eating all other carbs.

I eat oats. I like oats, but I certainly don't give them a fraction of the credit your cut 'n pasted encyclopedia of oats gives them.

There's no doubt you'll find plenty of articles saying the same thing, because people will keep copying and pasting what they read in the original article.

I dont think you even read it so I will paste the appropriate bit again.

Diabetics often suffer from related diseases like heart disease and kidney disease. Studies show that oatmeal can help reduce cholesterol This soluble fiber also provides a sustained release of glucose into the bloodstream. Saponin, a hormone-like substance found in oats, helps the pancreas regulate the production of insulin. This is how eating oats helps to normalize blood glucose levels in diabetics and can even reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

I can also find the same information in many other studies on oats but hey if you dont wanna believe it dont.

Diabetics often suffer from related diseases like heart disease and kidney disease. Studies show that oatmeal can help reduce cholesterol This soluble fiber also provides a sustained release of glucose into the bloodstream. Saponin, a hormone-like substance found in oats, helps the pancreas regulate the production of insulin. This is how eating oats helps to normalize blood glucose levels in diabetics and can even reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

I can also find the same information in many other studies on oats but hey if you dont wanna believe it dont.

Tolly not to attack you but that part is not about helping your blood sugar but other health issues that may or may not be related to diabetes. The soluble fiber they are talking about is available in many foods it helps depend where something is on the GI index and yes it slows down the amount of sugar released but in the end its still carbs. It just a carb that can be used a bit better. Its a great food but carbs as such are never the best food for a diabetic this one one of the better choices if you want carbs.

Dont get me wrong I love my oats but if i were diabetic id cut down on them and put in more eggs or something like that.

• Like 1

Just something I'd like to mention. My boss was diagnosed diabetic this year and had been experimenting (with me looking on) with various foods and how they affect his post prandial BG levels, testing himself with an Accura BG monitor. One day, we tried oats with approximately a 60g helping of dry oats (before adding water etc). For those unaware,this is not a large amount of food by any means. To cut a long story short, his blood sugar levels spiked quite badly to about 180 , and so to paraphrase Tropo, for this individual, oats are nearly as bad as sugar.

Just something I'd like to mention. My boss was diagnosed diabetic this year and had been experimenting (with me looking on) with various foods and how they affect his post prandial BG levels, testing himself with an Accura BG monitor. One day, we tried oats with approximately a 60g helping of dry oats (before adding water etc). For those unaware,this is not a large amount of food by any means. To cut a long story short, his blood sugar levels spiked quite badly to about 180 , and so to paraphrase Tropo, for this individual, oats are nearly as bad as sugar.

Kalbo I take a 60 gram helping of dry oats.. and thank god i respond good on it. But on 100 grams i get into trouble. I am not diabetic but for training purpose i tested and at first was in the danger zone and could be diabetic in 5 year or so now I am back to normal again. But it pays to check it up once in a while.

But like you said some people respond to something while others don't its strange how our bodies work.

• Like 1

If a person goes on a low carb diet and then later introduces a carb such as oatmeal into their diet, their blood glucose levels will spike quite high. But if they repeat that meal in moderate proportions their body will adjust and over the space of a week the previous highs will fall to almost acceptable levels in most cases. The message here of course is that a single or even two servings of a particular carb is insufficient to determine exactly how your body will deal with it on an ongoing basis. Now clearly there are many variables in there such as meal size, age, general health, weight and the degree to which a persons body does not produce insulin or is insensitive to it.

Tolly not to attack you but that part is not about helping your blood sugar but other health issues that may or may not be related to diabetes. The soluble fiber they are talking about is available in many foods it helps depend where something is on the GI index and yes it slows down the amount of sugar released but in the end its still carbs. It just a carb that can be used a bit better. Its a great food but carbs as such are never the best food for a diabetic this one one of the better choices if you want carbs.

Dont get me wrong I love my oats but if i were diabetic id cut down on them and put in more eggs or something like that.

You are right but I was only responding to the original quote from Tropo which was this ,

"How can carbs (oats) regulate blood sugar? Oats are virtually sugar to a diabetic person."

My response was based on that comment simple as that.

i have changed my diet condsiderably,i now eat raw oatmeal for breakfast everyday, i have lost 5kilos in 3months,blood sugar reduced and i don't feel hungry until 1pm.

I soak my oats overnight,add some almonds and a few raisons,and cut up a banana as well,some milk and unsweetened natural yoghurt.The jury is out on soaking oats to reduce phytic acid,but its definitely the best start to a day that i have found

You might want to google 'Bircher Muesli' as this is the direction you are heading. I sun dry any fruit that takes my fancy, apples, bananas, (wild) mango, figs, whatever, add crushed nuts (cashew last time) and put the stuff in a jar with the oats. Soak half a cup full with milk overnight, I never tire of this. You can add wheat bran, seeds. ....

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I did read that.

Do you believe everything you read?

Diabetics who are trying to control blood sugar through diet should not eat oats at all but this will depend on the severity of the diabetes.

Some people will tolerate them better than others.