Thailand Marrage Visa Help Please

Hi Guys

Just wanted to say what a great site and this is my first post using the forum so please can you help me.

OK i am married to a thai national and we have been married now for 3 years and now living in the UK, OK we are thinking of moving back to Thailand and i am trying to find out how easy it would be for me to live with my wife and can i apply for a visa in the Thai embassy London? my wifes home town is in Nakon Sawon and currently she is registered living at her mums family home, but we are thinking of selling up to purchased a home in her town, ok as far as saving go i would have about 60K in the bank when leaving the UK, i read that you need to show 400,000 baht in a Thai account in my name only? before making the VIsa is this correct and also when trying to renew it showing the same amount, i really dont want to be leaving the country every 3 months, currently i have my own small business and also work part time in UK, well i hope i have given enough info thanks for all the help and advice.

You should not need the 400k to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa from Consulate in UK providing a 90 day stay and during the last 30 days of that you present proof of 400k in your name only for two months in a Thai bank account along with letter from bank to extend for your first year and repeat yearly thereafter.

ok thanks is it easy to get the visa when in Thailand do you go to a local office in Nakon Sawon would you have an address? and what letter would i need from the bank, basically i would apply for the visa in london for 90 days stay, then all my funds would then be transfered over to my thai bank account once the sale of my home goes through.

You would probably find it easier to apply at one of the Consulates rather than the Embassy.

Hull are friendly and you can apply by post.

Once in Thailand the bank will know what letter to provide you with.

Apply at the local Immigration office.

A rough guide.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady,

the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than
40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than
400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance

and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand:

Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand:

Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

whistling.gif To make it clear getting a marriage extension in Thailand is at least a two step procedure.

The VISA you get from a Thai consulate in the U.K. allows you into the country.

Then you can EXTEND that stay for a year based on your marriage to a Thai,

That extension is done locally in Thailand at your local immigration office

The visa from the Thai consulate in the U.K and the later one year extension are different things ..... that's why it's at least a two step process.

That financial requirement of 400K Thai Baht in a bank account in your name is a requirement set by Thai immigration for step 2 and applies to that extension in Thailand.

Just telling you that information so you don't confuse the two steps of the process.

Now, as someone else mentioned, the Thai consulate in Hull is a relatively friendly consulate.

So your first action should be to call them in Hull (they have a website on the internet with contact numbers as well as a lot of information about visas and even forms you can download and fill out,

Since you're in the U.K. it can de done through the post, you do not have to actually go to the Hull consulate unless you want to.

But first, call them on the phone and ask what forms they need and what other evidence they may want to see to verify your marriage.

To be clear a Thai consulate does not issue a marriage VISA,

What you get is normally a Non immigrant O visa (O standing for Other) often for a 3 month entry that allows you to enter Thailand.

That's step one.

Once you have that you travel to Thailand, and you are then given a 90 day entry stamp on arrival.

In your case, you should use that 90 days to get together all the documentation your local immigration in Thailand wants, and then you apply for that extension of one year based on marriage to your Thai wife.

So, as I said, it's at least a two step process.

hat's where the financial requirement of the equivalent of 400K Thai Baht in a bank account in Thailand for a period of at least 60 days comes into effect

But don't worry, thousands of foreigners do it every year.

wink.png

I would not transfer all your funds as you are likely to want to keep an external account for expenses outside of Thailand/mail order/tax/travel - at any rate that is up to you but be sure to arrange a method to transfer before you travel as may require signing wire transfer agreements in person. Believe Bangkok Bank offers the same type of domestic transfer service as in US using there UK bank so a savings if making many transfers over a period of time but if you are doing a one time things not a factor and SWIFT would be fine. But be aware local banking offers very little security from ATM/debit card theft and getting a credit card or checking account will probably not be easy (or possible in many cases). Suggest you read the forum areas of concern and post in them for further information as it is a big step/change.