Looking For Car Repair Shop Again!

junglechef

I know we've been thru this before but hoping there might be a new lead. New noise in front of my car, might be as simple as a belt, but want to attend to before it breaks down or causes bigger problems. Ford dealership made an appt and needed it for 7 hrs just for estimate and after waiting a week for an appt. for the "Master Mechanic" and the service manager to be there I arrived and the were not and asked me to wait another hr for one to get back from lunch and then I could leave car. If time is money I'd have to be a very rich man to get anything done there!

• Like 1

Drive around your neighborhood and keep an eye out for the self employed guy with the yard full of cars in various states of repair. They're everywhere.

For major issues especially if it's a newer vehicle, the dealer is usually the safest bet but man, they know how to charge...

After that, places like B-Quik also get good reports, but I find them expensive, and far too eager to replace parts that still have thousands of km life left in them. Last time I went there to ask about simply changing a wheel bearing, they came back an hour later with an estimate for 63,000 baht - including 4 tyres they insisted needed changing despite still having 5 or 6mm on the tread. They lasted several more months as did the brakes, which they also insisted needed changing (again, the pads were nowhere near depleted).

A good, experienced self employed mechanic beats all of those hands-down if you're lucky enough to find one. I did, about 500m from my home. In fact, when I finish typing this I'm off to drop the car there to have a weeping hydraulic pipe (steering) replaced.

• Like 1

I think I mentioned this one before at some point, but I think they're okay. Called Suriwong, on the Hang Dong road.

Depends little on what's wrong with it though, I'd go elsewhere for electrical issues.

http://goo.gl/maps/JnL8o

Dealers are also quite good at wanting to replace stuff that doesn't actually need replacing yet, especially when it's something expensive. But then don't suggest to replace something more mundane, like some tube somewhere that however would cause a major issue when it breaks or starts leaking...

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Great car mechanic, speaks English, really nice guy !!

His name is AEK ... 08 17 24 69 91 ... has his own shop

He is a great young guy and really knows his stuff.

Edited by Cyrus2Ray

I haven't used them yet, but the 5 bay auto repair shop right behind the Hang Dong Market seems to be one busy place.

I have used them several times to fix my 20 year old Mighty X (new suspension arms etc. new clutch, new engine mounts) and every time have had a good experience, I can recommend them. There is a youngish lady (bosses daughter maybe) who speaks reasonable English and she understands about cars and trucks, not a bimbo.

I made a good recommendation to you before but you were put off because the mechanic did not speak English.

Coincidentally, the other night I was in the city and thought I blew a radiator hose so I parked the car near Bang Saen 2 for the night. I didn't want to pay to have the car towed to either of my mechanics so the next morning I took a gamble on finding a mechanic nearby to come and fix the car there. First place I found was right near JJ Market on the same road - the shop is called Muang Mai Auto Repair. The mechanic spoke English. He came on his motorcycle and looked at the car. He said the leak was not from a hose but a metal part that had corroded and water was leaking from there. He showed me. He took the car to the shop, got the part from Honda and it was ready about 6 hours later. Cost: 1,900 THB. No problems overheating since. Only one experience with them. But English spoken by the mechanic. Not the owner. Telephone: 053-232310 and 089-1919567

Yes I remember and appreciated it and actually looked into it but in the end decided that I did not feel comfortable not being able to communicate with him, which I understand is my loss and not speaking the native language of the country one's living in is a big disadvantage for the non-speaker. And although my Thai partner is helpful in translating and communicating my wishes she doesn't know car repair so I wanted to avoid some of the problems I've had before when I couldn't fully understand what they wanted to do, for how much and why.

I appreciate you now recommending somewhere else and will check it out especially since it's not very far from me and if necessary some of the other suggestions too. Thanks everyone!

junglechef, which ford model are you driving? if you are on the older focus model, it might just be common dreaded front end popping from the strud bearings. i had it on my old focus.

check out focus strud bearings. there are some online guide to it. not a diy job but could point that out to your mechanics. the bearing is cheap like chips but the labor is pretty intensive. dont drag it till failure!

If you decide to check out Muangmai Auto Repair, here are the directions:

Coming from the city and heading towards JJ Market, turn right at the stop light that takes you to the rear of Talaat Kamtieng where the flower market is. Just as you turn left you will see a big place on your left corner called Lanna Interpack LTD. It has a big Navy blue sign. Continue for 50 or less? meters and on the right you will see a white sign with Muangmai Auto Service in English in light blue letters.

I don't know how many mechanics work there but the one I met who speaks English has kind of a big nose, wears a baseball cap, and I think wears glasses.

If you decide to check out Muangmai Auto Repair, here are the directions:

Coming from the city and heading towards JJ Market, turn right at the stop light that takes you to the rear of Talaat Kamtieng where the flower market is. Just as you turn left you will see a big place on your left corner called Lanna Interpack LTD. It has a big Navy blue sign. Continue for 50 or less? meters and on the right you will see a white sign with Muangmai Auto Service in English in light blue letters.

I don't know how many mechanics work there but the one I met who speaks English has kind of a big nose, wears a baseball cap, and I think wears glasses.

Sorry I meant as you turn right you will see Lanna Interpack on your left.

• Like 1

Easy to find Muangmai Auto Repair and two nice guys whose English was good enough to communicate with me. They went for a test drive and put the car up on a lift and said that I should take it to the Ford Dealership, nice for them to be honest and admit it was more than they could handle. Now to try some of the other suggestions.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

I just moved to Chiang Mai about a month and a half ago, so I'm still getting used to the lay of the land. Could someone please tell me where the Hang Dong Market is that is close to the 5 bay auto repair shop? (Other than the obvious fact that it is in Hang Dong ;) ). Thanks in advance for your help...

I haven't used them yet, but the 5 bay auto repair shop right behind the Hang Dong Market seems to be one busy place.

I ve used them they are good . There is another shop not far from that one if your traveling south on the same road . The road make a sharp right turn rice fields on the right , shop is on the left . My cars there now getting some major repairs . The english is about as good as my Thai so I always take the wife . Another good place is on the super highway I think the name is Amway auto air . My car was acting up running hot I went in they checked it told me what was wrong did not charge me anything . They couldnt do the repairs .... I have had my a/c repaired there in the past very fair and did a great job on the car .. Honest people ......

Hi everyone,

I just moved to Chiang Mai about a month and a half ago, so I'm still getting used to the lay of the land. Could someone please tell me where the Hang Dong Market is that is close to the 5 bay auto repair shop? (Other than the obvious fact that it is in Hang Dong wink.png ). Thanks in advance for your help...

Drive on hwy 108 Hang Dong road towards Sanpatong . You will pass a gas station with a 7/11 on your left the Hang Dong post office will be on your right . The next market you see on your right is Hang Dong Market . The first road you see on your right next to the market if you take that road it will come out the repair shop you speak of will be at your 1:00 poss. If you go left follow that road when the road makes a hard right just a few hundred meters on the left is another repair shop . They are very good as well ..... Pm me if you need further ....

I used them a few times, they seemed OK.

Last time I had the engine rebuilt (20 year old Toyota Mighty X), he quoted 30,000.

When I went to pick it up he wanted 41,000.

Gave him 30,000, got in and drove away.

He said he did a "good job" because I was a farang, maybe he just does crap jobs for Thais, take care.