10 Step Guide To Buying A Used Thai Condo?

I am looking at buying a used condo in BKK, owned by a Thai in a Thai area, through a property website (DD Property).

I have never bought anything other than a few vehicles and am not sure of the exact procedure in ensuring it goes smoothly and correctly (and I don’t lose all my money haha). I am an EU national living here on a Non-Imm Visa.

I am aware of the following basics:

The money must come from overseas (my home country) and be officially transfered into Thailand for the purpose of buying a condo.

The condo building must not be more than 49% foreign owned.

I am looking at putting together a 10 step list of how exactly I go from wanting to buy it with my money in a home country account, to owning it outright in my own name.

I guess the 1st step is finding out that the condo is at least 51% Thai owned, so I can get legal confirmation
that I can indeed own one of the condos there. It isn't a big flash 40 story complex developed by some known property developer. Is there a government dept. that will have the ownership list for each condo that can confirm that not more than 49% are non Thai owned? Or how does one go about getting official confirmation that you can indeed own it?

Thanks very much.

From reading online I see that the Condominium Juristic Person (CJP) has 15 days to provide a certificate indicating that a unit being sold has no outstanding debts associated with it.

When I contacted a lawyer to represent me about the purchase, he said that often CJPs don't want to turn over this information.

"Yes, we will enquire with the juristic management office as to any outstanding dues. Please note

however that there are condominium management offices that refuse to provide any certification."

So it seems to me that without this, the buyer could be left to pay the outstanding condominium fees. Am I right and whose responsibility is it to get this certificate? Does this certificate need to be registered at the land office?

• Like 1

OP ... some excellent advice you have received ... even I have learnt a few things, and I have a Degree in Property.

Parking spaces is a good item ... if there is one on your title, assigned or dedicated to your unit make sure no-one else has nicked it.

Check the floor plan of the unit above you and hopefully it will be the same as yours. The reason being that bedrooms are under bedrooms etc. I once rented an apartment and our unit was below the sub-penthouse and they, being a larger unit had a different floor design, meaning our bedroom was under their kitchen ... heaps of noise.

If you can (and I don't know how you would do it in Thailand) check the ration of renters to owners.

Owning an apartment normally brings more pride in the building ... though in Thailand it may mean that they think they can get away with more ... w00t.gif

EDIT ... cool user name ... thumbsup.gif ... no Avatar ... goof.gif

Edited by David48

• 1 month later...

I bought a condo from a bank via an auction, unbeknown to us the bank and condo management were at loggerheads over unpaid bills by the bank, I have not been able to do any repairs / decorating, since I bought due to this situation which is still ongoing, this is 3 years now. Could I sue the bank for loss of potential rent?