My Right To Close Anti-Yingluck Websites, Minister Claims

webfact

Maybe Thailand should block facebook just like China does, it might raise the level of productivity here, particularly amongst the feminine persuasion...

Interesting that, On a Mine site in Indo, I go to, err sometimes, you can only get F/B 6Pm to 6am because the girls didn't do any work.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I was telling the truth" - she said

But if you tell the truth and it upsets someone we have a law called defamation and can make you pay. Oh but that takes a moment to get implemented and as we have such a wonderful democracy in Thailand we will just shut you down.!

ICT Minister: No double standard in PM’s case

BANGKOK, 8 May 2013 (NNT) - Minister of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Anudit Nakhornthap has reaffirmed there is no double standard in cyber defamation cases; the ministry treats wrongdoers equally according to the laws.

The ICT minister held a news conference on Tuesday after the Opposition Party had accused it of shutting down websites that expressed political opinions deemed insulting to the government. He asserted that the ministry had no power to close down websites and only the court could do so. The minister said all citizens had the right to express their views. However, if their use of the cyber space involved illegal acts, such as threatening, defamation and fraud, they might breach the 2007 Computer Crime Act or the Criminal Code Act.

Mr Anudit firmly dismissed the Opposition’s allegation that the ministry had a double standard, saying the ministry had no right to discriminate against anyone ,and it was false and misleading for the Opposition to accuse that it paid special attention to only cases involving the prime minister.

Regarding websites with lese majeste content, the minister said suppression of such websites was a joint effort of a number of government agencies including the Royal Thai Armed Forces and the Royal Thai Police.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-08 footer_n.gif

You see what happens when you have a lese majeste law? Where does the censorship stop? It trickles down until anyone in power is protected from any criticism. It's a slippery slope.

It's only a slippery slope if you make it one. I for one appreciate the Thai respect for the monarchy and loathe to see Thailand sink into the daily trash that tabloids report in England for example on its monarchy. How you can make the logical connection between political commentary and lese majeste is beyond me. One is an institution by birthright and another a political office decided by popular vote.

Yingluck states in a speech that Thailand hasn't achieved full democracy since the coup, and the ICT ministry reacts by threatening to shut down any websites that critisise her.......maybe the lady has a point!!!

A little unintended example of how undemocratic it is to shut sites down that criticize. Too bad she's too dense to even consider whether or not its democratic. Those thoughts would overload her and cause her brain to train wreck.

Anudith was criticised for overstepping his authority by threatening to shut down pages that carried allegedly defamatory remarks against PM Yingluck Shinawatra

Looks like the ICT Minister will have to close the PM's Office Minister's website :

May 8, 2013 12:42 pm

The web site of PM's Office was defaced Wednesday with an impolite sentence apparently aimed at ridiculing Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

At 12:30 pm about less than an hour after it was spotted, the defacing has not been addressed yet.

The sentence appeared at a menu item on the top left corner of the web page below the menu for showing the list of the Yingluck Cabinet.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/PMs-Office-website-defaced-30205666.html

Open Letter to Thai Government:

Dear Children,

I know you are trying so hard to keep the Thai people ignorant and unable to think for themselves, and censorship has worked well in the past. ..Now, though, with all these confusing advances in technology, social media, internet, smart phones, cloud computing, pesky farangs, it is such a daunting task to keep the status quo of unquestioned acceptance of government policy.

Guess what, the genie is out of the bottle and can't be put back. That means you all have to go with the flow, chill a little, stop being the most uptight bunch of people. In essence, yes, you have to grow up. Sorry about that...I know it hurts, been thru it myself. Telling the Thai people not to be critical won't work anymore, instead you have to work on some basic democratic principles and deal with the outcomes. Sorry about that, too, the word "work", I know it is not what you do, you are children and you play, not work...

So, in my opinion two unfamiliar concepts are facing you right now: to grow up, and to work, and whoever can embrace these concepts may have a future. Sweat and growing pains maybe better than a spanking.

sincerely

Santa Klaus

PS don't blame the farangs, this is your own doing

So true! I like your condescending tone ,like talkin' down to kids..thai politicians..I guess you are talking to spoiled kids!

Thanks to Anupong and his gang and after that Abhisit and his mafia any idiot in a position of power now thinks that it is fine to interfere. Let them close down all the sites that are not nice for government or Royalists, the army or for Prem. For every closed site ten new ones spring up hosted abroad. The ICT minister never paid attention in school, never read the animal farm or 1984 and he certainly doe not know about Sphinxes.

Anudith was criticised for overstepping his authority by threatening to shut down pages that carried allegedly defamatory remarks against PM Yingluck Shinawatra

Looks like the ICT Minister will have to close the PM's Office Minister's website :

The web site of PM's Office was defaced Wednesday with an impolite sentence apparently aimed at ridiculing Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

At 12:30 pm about less than an hour after it was spotted, the defacing has not been addressed yet.

The sentence appeared at a menu item on the top left corner of the web page below the menu for showing the list of the Yingluck Cabinet.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/PMs-Office-website-defaced-30205666.html

Looks like the ICT Minister has followed through and shut down the PM Office Minister's website as it seems inaccessible

http://www.opm.go.th/

Well done, Anudith.

Thanks to Anupong and his gang and after that Abhisit and his mafia any idiot in a position of power now thinks that it is fine to interfere. Let them close down all the sites that are not nice for government or Royalists, the army or for Prem. For every closed site ten new ones spring up hosted abroad. The ICT minister never paid attention in school, never read the animal farm or 1984 and he certainly doe not know about Sphinxes.

Mustn't forget the originator:

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 January 2006

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said that more than 800,000 websites deemed "inappropriate," will be shut down.

The Minister's comments are absurd and counter productive.It is entirely normal in a democracy for its leaders to be criticised, teased and mocked.If there is libel, slander or defamation involved then the minister concerned has the right to take measures in accordance with the law.Normally however it is foolish to do so and politicians should have thick skins.Ludicrous assertions (eg the prostitute jibe) tend to rebound on the original source.The public isn't as gullible as some believe. It is disheartening also that this kind of stupidity gives ammunition to the reactionary element in Thailand (whose own record on allowing free speech is disgustingly bad) to say (as it were) - look at them, they're just as repressive as us.

If they really start doing this, there will be an absolute outcry. The statements were made on facebook, what are they really going to do? Close every single website that has something to say that is personally bad about YS? That would preclude half of the posts on this website alone, which is tiny in comparison with the Thai chatboards. Then think of all of the comments alone on here that passed by claming so and so is a "thief", "idiot", "clueless", "corrupt".

All of which under Thai law can be classed as criminal defamation. If they really open this can of worms, people will resort to sign language. Does this mean that he can aribtrarily intervene without a complaint? It is so full of holes as a legal argument, what he is claiming is that he has the ability and power to turn Thailand into North Korea. Every joke, every double entendre, every piece of comment can be controlled by this ministry and a stroke of his pen? Impossible, and ludicrous.

Could you imagine, that under the pinned warning about "lese Majeste" in this forum, there was another pinned warning to to criminally defame ANYONE in a political position?

Problem is that LM it is used to silence political opponents. It's a crap law, get rid of it first if Tland really wants its democracy to take hold. Of course the ruling, er elite doesn't, not really, just wants to pay lip service so as be seen as so. All about the appearance here, no substance whatever.

You see what happens when you have a lese majeste law? Where does the censorship stop? It trickles down until anyone in power is protected from any criticism. It's a slippery slope.

It's only a slippery slope if you make it one. I for one appreciate the Thai respect for the monarchy and loathe to see Thailand sink into the daily trash that tabloids report in England for example on its monarchy. How you can make the logical connection between political commentary and lese majeste is beyond me. One is an institution by birthright and another a political office decided by popular vote.

The problem is the concept of criminal defamation.

Defamation should only be a civil issue.

Agree completely. The defamation laws are akin to a nationwide gag order.

Change that second after LM .

Mustn't forget the originator:

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 January 2006

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said that more than 800,000 websites deemed "inappropriate," will be shut down.

Would be interesting when this law to suspend a website was put on the books. All rather Orwellian.

attachicon.gifComputer Crimes Act 2550 en.pdf

As per example above on the closure of nearly a million websites, the actions preceded whatever ancillary and specific laws were contained within the Computer Crimes Act of 2550.

Just saw a screen capture of the offending sentence in the pull down menu of the PM Office Ministry's website on the Daily News website, but not sure what it says about the PM is repeatable here.

It's in English, btw.

Edited by brd199

This is a defamatory against Abhisit? Mods, check it out. You are at risk!

However, he added that if the intention of the website was to defame the PM, the ministry had the mandate to "suspend the site immediately" and the people responsible could be prosecuted under Article 326 of the Criminal Act, which could lead to a year in prison and a fine of Bt20,000.

LOL, Yingluck isn't a divine character as far as I know. She must recognize her mistakes, but because this stupid "face losing" mascarade, she will never admit it ! And they prefer fight against the truth-telling people than admit the real truth tching loei !

The last sentence quoting the PM is probably most indictive of her confused thought and communication skills???? I am using the word 'skills' in the my scarcastic mode, just to clarfy what I said/meant.

Oh, the irony...

Where are the TV pro red shirt fans? I want to hear this defense of their government's policy? Don't be quiet now!

The Minister has used the term 'defamatory' to which most posters have twisted his words to become 'criticism'. Not the same thing is it?

The headline has changed 'defamatory' to become 'anti-Yingluck'. Not the same thing is it?

Defamation is a crime in Thailand, not only a civil offence.

Edited by NCFC

The sentence appeared at a menu item on the top left corner of the web page below the menu for showing the list of the Yingluck Cabinet.http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/PMs-Office-website-defaced-30205666.html

Just saw a screen capture of the offending sentence in the pull down menu of the PM Office Ministry's website on the Daily News website, but not sure what it says about the PM is repeatable here.

It's in English, btw.

The words are in the English language and the full page is on all the thai news sites.

The "I know I am the worst Prime Minister ever inThailand history" are fair enough for a hackers attack, but the "I am a slutty moron" is beyond fair play. I hope the authorities catch up with the hackers and deal to them accordingly.

Edited by Roadman

A couple of days ago the minister was talking about protecting Everybody but now it's Yingluck, Yingluck and Yingluck which we all knew anyway. The ministry cannot shutdown a site without a court order but can suspend a site but for how long without having to apply to a court, it would be easy to suspend then take a long time or accidentally forget to go anywhere near a court so the result is almost the same. Finally I'm sure his definition of defamation will be very loose and bear no relation to the legal one allowing him, surprise surprise, to do whatever he wants.

Would be interesting when this law to suspend a website was put on the books. All rather Orwellian.

Computer Crimes Act 2007, PM Surayud (appointed by the leaders of the military coup)

Meanwhile, the ICT minister confirmed reports of his vow to take action related to criticism against Yingluck. He insisted he was doing his duty and that he had the authority to do so.

Stupid question; will red shirts hold a demonstration to protest the minister acting beyond his authority?

• Like 1

A couple of days ago the minister was talking about protecting Everybody but now it's Yingluck, Yingluck and Yingluck which we all knew anyway. The ministry cannot shutdown a site without a court order but can suspend a site but for how long without having to apply to a court, it would be easy to suspend then take a long time or accidentally forget to go anywhere near a court so the result is almost the same. Finally I'm sure his definition of defamation will be very loose and bear no relation to the legal one allowing him, surprise surprise, to do whatever he wants.

Computer Crimes Act 2007, PM Surayud (appointed by the leaders of the military coup)

It was done before that by then-PM Thaksin:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/637978-my-right-to-close-anti-yingluck-websites-minister-claims/page-2#entry6380879

There's a difference between earned respect and enforced respect.

In the UK there is opposition to the institution of monarchy although probably less against the current monarch as she does do a lot of work particularly considering her age and that of her husband. Even some who want an end to monarchy think she does a good job they just don't like the way she got the job. If the population want to become a republic that would happen but that doesn't appear to be the case at least not whilst it's in its current hands. The Thai government would do well to look at the way the UK monarch almost never resorts to legal action as they are fully aware that it's a PR disaster waiting to happen.

In Thailand you have forced respect with the LM laws. In my own view this is something of a lack of respect in itself as it suggests the monarchy needs to be protected from criticism. At the moment although it would seem there is wide support for the monarchy and in particular for the king there is no way to show this under the current laws. LM and similar laws in countries without a monarchy are typically used to stifle dissent against vain dictators who need to protect their ill gotten power and financial gains. This in my view makes this type of law completely unsuitable in regards to the Thai monarchy.

In spite of my dislike for most of the current Thai government I think the current attempts to stop views being expressed are ill conceived as they are at least democratically elected are in my view incompetent rather than evil