Vigo Low Speed Problem

2008 3.0liter diesel, 60k km, serviced, original owner

Over the past 3months, on rare occasion when driving at very slow speeds (10-20kph), my truck will hesitate, and if I don't accelerate, it may stall. When that happens, I am able to quickly restart and drive normally. All told, this has only happened 4 or 5 times. I initially thought it was a bad batch of fuel, but not so sure of that now (having gone through many refills). I never refuel at no-name stations.

Other than that, my truck runs great. Any guesses on what might be the problem?

1 check the fuel filter

2 check air filter not clogged / wet etc

3 check for ECU faults as suggested above

4 check EGR valve and inlet manifold not full of crud.

As above thumbsup.gif

First I would scan the engines wire connections, there are a few, give them a wiggle, check none of the wires has not been nibbled by some critter, mine had sad.png . There are a couple of small rubber hoses on the rear right, what they do l haven't a clue but check they are not split or perished. On the fuel filter, the black thing on the right under the hood, there is a tap on the bottom to drain water, if there is any. On the top of the filter thingy there is a round plunger, just push it down, it should not move, if it does it is not holding pressure.

But, it looks like a main dealer to have it read. If it has a chip thumbsup.gif it probably is that biggrin.png .

Edited by transam

Just take to a Toyota dealer, get a mechanic to sit with you and demonstrate it then leave it to them

Change the battery.

My Fortuner had a similar problem, the Battery was 5 years old, changed the Battery, no problem after that.

Edited by Banzai99

Just take to a Toyota dealer, get a mechanic to sit with you and demonstrate it then leave it to them

Change the battery.

My Fortuner had a similar problem, the Battery was 5 years old, changed the Battery, no problem after that.

Could be. thumbsup.gif ..................smile.png

Change the battery.

How can it be the battery the vehicle will still run with no battery when already started.

Change the battery.

How can it be the battery the vehicle will still run with no battery when already started.

When my battery was near naff the electric windows played up when the engine was supplying alternator power. whistling.gif

My car was hesitant, stalled, started up fine sometimes and ran fine, it was not right a few times, but I thought it was bad fuel, then it stalled another time on the Sukhumvit. On advice I bought a new battery ( it was 5 Years old) and From then, never had a problem, my problem was 100% the battery.

If the battery is the original it will be 5 years old, it could well be the battery and you could stall in a very awkward place, like I did, you lose power steering as well.

Had similar problem with the wife's Vigo. 2.5 Diesel Manual. 4years old, 60k, serviced at correct intervals by Toyota. New battery was fitted because it was getting tired and it was back to normal. Modern vehicles need a good flow of volts especially when you've got the AC kicking in all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I made my post, I haven't had the problem. But it's never been an constant problem......just one that seems to pop up from time to time......and, when it does, it's when I'm driving at very slow speeds, usually in city traffic.

Everything seems to be operating normally....still getting 32+mpg combined city/hwy driving (I'm retired, in no rush). Next time I take it in for service, I'll have Toyota check things out. I am surprised my battery is still operating fine......5 years and counting. I think that's a record in the 3 vehicles/17 years I've been here.

That's a relief. I haven't been able to sleep worrying about it.

This reply says a lot about you, not funny, not clever.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It made me chuckle.

• Like 1

I thought all Vigoes had a Low Speed Problem. The bloody things are always chugging up my Mountain slowing down the Vios and Almeria's.:cheesy:

Yeah. But you can't stick Papa's memorial stone in the back of a Vios can you.

Solution. VIgo and an Accord.

Cheers AoP!

SP

• Like 1

PS. 4 wheel drive 3litre Vigo with R Type springs, lowered suspension, and fat low profiles goes exceptionally well. Even in the wet. Remarkably quick and great fun.

It's all about low down torque.

PS. 4 wheel drive 3litre Vigo with R Type springs, lowered suspension, and fat low profiles goes exceptionally well. Even in the wet. Remarkably quick and great fun.

It's all about low down torque.

Yes nothing wrong with a Vigo lowered ,but they jack em up,fit em with anti tumble over gadgets, yet i find one a week tipped up in the gorge, them Bragin Badges and ABS don't work too good in Hillbilly Land.w00t.gif

I thought all Vigoes had a Low Speed Problem. The bloody things are always chugging up my Mountain slowing down the Vios and Almeria's.cheesy.gif

Noooooooooo, you have been duped by a Nissan with after market badges Hastings.