90 Day Reporting - Comments & Experiences 2013

Tywais

I think that it is two weeks before and one week after your 90 day report date.

It's 15 days before and 7 days after except for mail in which need to be at least 15 days before.

Is this supposed to happen or did I just have the bad luck to deal with an officer who didn't know or practice the rules?

That has been the standard policy for years. It's always 90 days from the date you submit your report.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice report, Dolly! And some of it delightfully humorous! Well, to just talk to one of the "girls" may not be altogether informative !

Never mind the "TIT" aspect of your report. There is a serious fair question to ask the right officers! There are a lot of people who feel a need for this sort of information. Personally, it doesn't affect me.

Otherwise --- to get to basics --- if one were to send a registered letter with all appropriate forms to Chiang Mai Immigration consistent with Thai Immigration regulations, and you have a receipt, no one in the Chiang Mai office is going to fine you anything or put you on an airplane back to wherever you came from !! Even if you forget to sign a photocopy, et cetera, you will, at the very most get a brief lecture! (Certainly from Miss Efficiency!! biggrin.png)

So, where is the report of the intrepid guy who promised to get the real story yesterday, Monday. Or was he just passing gas ?!

You want humor take some one in there and watch them try to get to the person with the right answer. Take a lunch with you.

We all know that the right answer for most farongs is the one they want to believe.

TIT is a reality I like to be happy and enjoy life so I don't bother to fight it. In many cases it is very amusing. Also the only way to explain some thing with out pointing your finger at some one and saying you are wrong. Then proceed with your western logic. Which where I came from in Canada and the States was what do you expect out of a government worker?

A nice report, Dolly! And some of it delightfully humorous! Well, to just talk to one of the "girls" may not be altogether informative !

Never mind the "TIT" aspect of your report. There is a serious fair question to ask the right officers! There are a lot of people who feel a need for this sort of information. Personally, it doesn't affect me.

Otherwise --- to get to basics --- if one were to send a registered letter with all appropriate forms to Chiang Mai Immigration consistent with Thai Immigration regulations, and you have a receipt, no one in the Chiang Mai office is going to fine you anything or put you on an airplane back to wherever you came from !! Even if you forget to sign a photocopy, et cetera, you will, at the very most get a brief lecture! (Certainly from Miss Efficiency!! biggrin.png)

So, where is the report of the intrepid guy who promised to get the real story yesterday, Monday. Or was he just passing gas ?!

I spoke with the head of the Chiang Mai Immigration Office regarding your question with map in-hand. Before our conversation was completed other Immigration Officers joined and contributed. They marked the map delineating the different areas. Your suggestion that "mailing code might be telling" was viewed as naïve.

They found your calling their officer(s) Miss Efficiency, power freak, schoolmarmish, girl and sarcastic to be rude and juvenile. Also your comment about who should be in what job ("sweeping out the back office") was not well received. Your crush on one of the marriage visa officers elicited no response, only silence and rather stern faces.

I showed them your positive comments about the CM Immigration Office but they were not interested, perhaps having already read your character.

I hope you find that helpful, I am not just passing gas.

Edited by Dante99

I spoke with the head of the Chiang Mai Immigration Office regarding your question with map in-hand. Before our conversation was completed other Immigration Officers joined and contributed. They marked the map delineating the different areas. Your suggestion that "mailing code might be telling" was viewed as naïve.

They found your calling their officer(s) Miss Efficiency, power freak, schoolmarmish, girl and sarcastic to be rude and juvenile. Also your comment about who should be in what job ("sweeping out the back office") was not well received. Your crush on one of the marriage visa officers elicited no response, only silence and rather stern faces.

I showed them your positive comments about the CM Immigration Office but they were not interested, perhaps having already read your character.

Maybe you are passing something more solid than gas. What was your point/purpose in showing the Immigration officers what you probably knew would be construed as negative comments by TV members? Not clear from the post you included with yours above.

Edited by Lobo4819

Maybe you are passing something more solid than gas. What was your point/purpose in showing the Immigration officers what you probably knew would be construed as negative comments by TV members? Not clear from the post you included with yours above.

I was wondering what the purpose of the post was all about. So whoopee he has a map with all the areas marked on it. Does not help any one what so ever.

Does he plan on selling the information.

We got more out of Lordfoul's link than we did out of the numerous posts on where the limits are.

I will stick to what the girl told me you can take a chance. I have lived here in Thailand long enough to see the honesty and the wisdom in that statement.

Some times you eat the bear and some times the bear eats you.

My experience with mail-in is similar to Uptheos. I doubt I will ever try mailing again.

In addition, every time in the past that I have tried to do a 90 day report with the days and times people on TV have reported as being a walk in the park, I ended up spending a lot of time at Immigration. I accept that it may have changed. However, for me, if I can still have it done by an agency, which may not be easy now, I will do so.

I went down yesterday which was Tuesday at 2:30. I got a number that was two numbers from being called. I didn't have enough time to fill out the form before my number was called. I was in and out in 15-20 minutes tops. ( I had to get copies of my passport.) I also saw the girl with the curly hair. She was working behind a desk. She was called over when an expat had a question about re-entry permits and his retirement visa. I couldn't hear the conversation very well. But Curly Hair looks good in that uniform and there is a no nonsense strength about her. Not quite my dominatrix fantasy material but approaching. But as they say..... any port in a storm! Edited by DeeMockMark

Dante 99,

Sounds like you had a busy visit to the Chiang Mai Immigration Office.

It seems that you might have some sort of map now confirmed by the head of the office. That could be helpful except it is difficult to deal with.

Ease of photographing or photocopying maps depends on their size. Then, the scale of the map and the resolution possible might make it difficult to read or post, for example, here on TV Chiang Mai. Additionally, many people just plain have difficulty reading maps. Last, are immigration clerks going to check every mailed submission against a map? That would be onerous to do.

But, unless the Chiang Mai Immigration office's boundaries are oddly subjective, they will no doubt encompass recognized areas by political name (by amphur, district, sub-district, municipality). Still, people may have trouble recognizing where they live on a map, but they mostly know their political address as wells their postal code (which easily could be part of their residence address that is submitted).

It appears that postal codes are very consistent with political boundaries in Thailand, so this should be easy to check. Checking does require the clerk to open the mail, not just read the postal station code on the envelope. A report might be registered at a station outside the submitter's residential area, say, when going shopping. There is, of course, also the address on the return envelope which should be helpful.

My guess is that an Amphur Muang list and list of contiguous amphurs would probably satisfy requirements. A political amphur list (perhaps including districts) would work. A postal code list should also work quite well, but it depends on the Chiang Mai Immigration Office to simply this process, which does appear to be at odds with publicized national policy) and remove unnecessary questions for everyone for whom a clear answer would be very helpful.

Once again, providing widely-distributed, easily-understood guidelines for people and adequate training for clerks should save a lot of unnecessary heartburn for both. I think one should be especially concerned for people who find it very difficult to get to and from the office or have the burden of getting someone else to do this chore for them.

Edited by Mapguy

Seems just using districts would be the straightforward way of doing it where Muang Chiang Mai not being allowed.

Does anyone have a map of the immigration districts and the amphurs (or other regions) that must report to a specific immigration office. Considering I'm living the the southern sticks of Jangwat Lamphum (closer to Lampang than to Chiang Mai) maybe a can report somewhere else.

Like most other bureaucrat Thai bumbling, it's all as clear as mud.

Does anyone have a map of the immigration districts and the amphurs (or other regions) that must report to a specific immigration office. Considering I'm living the the southern sticks of Jangwat Lamphum (closer to Lampang than to Chiang Mai) maybe a can report somewhere else.

Like most other bureaucrat Thai bumbling, it's all as clear as mud.

I wouldn't mind betting that no one at CMI actually knows where you can and cannot send it in from. More than likely an officer made a vague comment like 'only if outside Chiang Mai' and it spiralled from there. If anyone really knew, someone would have found out the definitive answer, especially as there are so many posters who seem to have chats with the Col and other officers.wink.png

I agree. My guess is that if you can send it, it will not matter where you live in Chiang Mai.

I agree. I live right in town and did it 3 or 4 times by post before they stopped all postal submissions. I would do it again this time but I think it may be too late (due on the 15th). I'll pop along some time this week or early next, and ask for confirmation. I reckon that if it's sent in with plenty of time and everything in order they would accept it.

I agree. My guess is that if you can send it, it will not matter where you live in Chiang Mai.

I agree. I live right in town and did it 3 or 4 times by post before they stopped all postal submissions. I would do it again this time but I think it may be too late (due on the 15th). I'll pop along some time this week or early next, and ask for confirmation. I reckon that if it's sent in with plenty of time and everything in order they would accept it.

I think you're right Joe & UG. When they open the envelope, if everything is 100% they probably just pop it into the SAE and don't even look where it's come from and going to.

I did not show them any information about negative comments by any TV members so your assumption is incorrect.

Perhaps you would better ask why TV members post such information on a public website available for anyone including Immigration Officers to read. It certainly does nothing to help with relationships with the Immigration Department even though some of those hipocritical posters suggest that they are trying to make things better.

Verbally abusing police officers in writing, <deleted>?

I did my 90 day today and the service was quick, efficient and friendly. In and out in about 5 minutes. I normally find late afternoon towards the end of the week to be a good time to go as it tends to be not so busy. I asked about 90 day by post and I was told that they prefer you to do it personally as there is the possibility of the form getting lost in the post. I live in town and since it is back to being in and out in 5 minutes I'll gladly go back to doing it in person.

• Like 1

I did my 90 day today and the service was quick, efficient and friendly. In and out in about 5 minutes. I normally find late afternoon towards the end of the week to be a good time to go as it tends to be not so busy. I asked about 90 day by post and I was told that they prefer you to do it personally as there is the possibility of the form getting lost in the post. I live in town and since it is back to being in and out in 5 minutes I'll gladly go back to doing it in person.

I guess that goes for sending it in from Lamphun or sending it in from the lettuce place next door.

Phew! saai.gif

I never guessed that it would be such a struggle just to suggest that someone going in for a routine 90-day check to ask what the actual Chiang Mai office policy is regarding distance from the office with the acceptance of 90-day reports by mail. My apologies again for having forgotten myself to ask when last in the Chiang Mai office!

Some occasional vitriol above, but still no definite answer. Still, but It does seem that three people have given it a try. One early office response on mailing was "Take your chances." Another willing volunteer, Dante 99, might have a map, which unfortunately is probably not helpful unless the information is put in some sort of digestible and easily-disseminated written form, but he or she shared no hard information. Thanks to Chiengmeijoe, the latest volunteer to check, the last noncommittal answer was that the office would "prefer" a personal visit.

This last response probably means what some people have long suspected: that the Chiang MaiImmigration office just finds mailed submissions a pain to deal with. That is perfectly understandable because too many people probably forget to complete some detail of the procedures (e.g., initial a photocopy, do not enclose the original 90-Day notice slip, forget to enclose a separate return mail envelope, and so on) and, not being in the office themselves, the reporters can't correct these sorts of problems. Otherwise, there are other tasks (like signing for registered mail and whatever) that make the process annoying for staff. Can you really imagine spending all day doing that job ! Oy!

So, the common sense conclusion seems to be --- if you are handicapped, you don't have transportation or dread a long or uncomfortable trip to the Chiang Mai office and you can't get someone else to do it for you --- go to your local post office, or get someone to do that for you! The most that can happen to you is maybe getting a lecture some day or paying a 2000Bt fine! But if you have a registered mail receipt, then the office can't complain that you were ignoring the law. The necessary requirements are posted on the Thai Immigration Department web site. See that web address above.

About the reliability of the mail, by the way. Yes, there is no doubt that some letters can get lost in any country's post, but I wonder if it is the post office's error most of the time. In the many, many years in Thailand I have never been personally aware of any lost post. I routinely get a lot of mail and packages, registered and general delivery. Nary anything has been lost, as far as I know. When I read of complaints about mail service in Thailand, I often wonder if it isn't mostly the living situations (shifting guest houses, cheap rooms in some dive and so on) as well as incomplete or scrawled addresses from senders. That sort of thing.

It is too bad that the 90-day process is apparently too difficult for some people. It would be helpful if the Immigration Department would rethink the procedures --- not the law, which, effective or not, is designed for other purposes than annoying farang.

Otherwise, I still have a crush on one of the lovely and efficient officers at the Chiang Mai Immigration Office who is a relatively new addition to the staff ! Sigh!! She is a real charmer. Others, too, over the years, have been --- and still are --- efficient, informative and pleasant to deal with. Some are actually a bit of fun! Some, unfortunately, are not, as people have reported.

Now, time for a cold beer!

Edited by Mapguy

Other than Mapguy, put your hand up if you didn't think Immigration would be reading Thaivisa references to their services.

Sorry! Here I am!

Funny post about raising your hand! A lot of people have in different ways! Read on.

First, whether they do or not, Chiang Mai Immigration officers might do well to read and understand more by reading commentary and complaints on the Chiang Mai Forum --- and maybe they do! --- to improve matters for themselves and their "customers," but it would be terribly difficult for them to understand all of the annoyance, humor or just dross posted on this thread despite there being some genuine concerns for, for example, handicapped people and people far removed from the office in the province. It is a BIG province! National policy recognizes such a situation with its accommodation for mail registration, but the Chiang Mai Office does not apparently deal with that problem effectively.

Nonetheless, there could be some procedural improvements, if not changes in the law, that make the task go smoother for everyone (officers and customers), here in Chiang Mai or elsewhere. It is not that the department --- or local offices --- have not thought of this. The procedures are already quite a bit accommodating of various situations --- but not all !

Right now, the Chiang Mai office is waffling about what is needed to deal with mailed 90-day reports, which is policy nationally. The clerks say things like "Take your chances!" That's not a sound policy or procedure. That is an unhelpful bureaucratic equivocation. And never mind the "This is Thailand (TIT) comments, please.

Immigration nationally is thoroughly familiar with the complaints of foreigners, Westerners in particular. In fact, over the years, such problems have been brought to the department's attention at the highest (Embassy) level by more than one foreign government at more than one time.

If you have been paying attention, then you know that there have been onerous problems for local officials due to the influx of so many foreigners from more advantaged countries looking for the "good life" here in Chiang Mai whether they can really afford to be here or not, and then there are those who are just forgetful, simply don't do their homework, don't come prepared, or are just somehow bewildered by any complexity! The local officers have had problem, probably experiencing a great deal of hypertension. Any fair-minded person would agreed that the office has been improving things quite a bit, for the employees' own blood pressure or sanity if anything.

A few months ago, there was an attempt by a forum member in her popular English-language magazine to "raise attention" to this issue. Okay, certainly a problem for an English-speaking readership from abroad; maybe a nice circulation-increasing move, as well. She published an article, which might have helped and might have actually gotten some people in trouble. She started a poll literally demanding change to which many subscribed. So, what has been the follow-up attributable to her efforts? What have been the results of the article and the poll ? Where were the poll results sent? Any response from any competent authority?

Edited by Mapguy

Other than Mapguy, put your hand up if you didn't think Immigration would be reading Thaivisa references to their services.

Sorry! Here I am!

Funny post about raising your hand! A lot of people have in different ways! Read on.

First, whether they do or not, Chiang Mai Immigration officers might do well to read and understand more by reading commentary and complaints on the Chiang Mai Forum --- and maybe they do! --- to improve matters for themselves and their "customers," but it would be terribly difficult for them to understand all of the annoyance, humor or just dross posted on this thread despite there being some genuine concerns for, for example, handicapped people and people far removed from the office in the province. It is a BIG province! National policy recognizes such a situation with its accommodation for mail registration, but the Chiang Mai Office does not apparently deal with that problem effectively.

Nonetheless, there could be some procedural improvements, if not changes in the law, that make the task go smoother for everyone (officers and customers), here in Chiang Mai or elsewhere. It is not that the department --- or local offices --- have not thought of this. The procedures are already quite a bit accommodating of various situations --- but not all !

Right now, the Chiang Mai office is waffling about what is needed to deal with mailed 90-day reports, which is policy nationally. The clerks say things like "Take your chances!" That's not a sound policy or procedure. That is an unhelpful bureaucratic equivocation. And never mind the "This is Thailand (TIT) comments, please.

Immigration nationally is thoroughly familiar with the complaints of foreigners, Westerners in particular. In fact, over the years, such problems have been brought to the department's attention at the highest (Embassy) level by more than one foreign government at more than one time.

If you have been paying attention, then you know that there have been onerous problems for local officials due to the influx of so many foreigners from more advantaged countries looking for the "good life" here in Chiang Mai whether they can really afford to be here or not, and then there are those who are just forgetful, simply don't do their homework, don't come prepared, or are just somehow bewildered by any complexity! The local officers have had problem, probably experiencing a great deal of hypertension. Any fair-minded person would agreed that the office has been improving things quite a bit, for the employees' own blood pressure or sanity if anything.

A few months ago, there was an attempt by a forum member in her popular English-language magazine to "raise attention" to this issue. Okay, certainly a problem for an English-speaking readership from abroad; maybe a nice circulation-increasing move, as well. She published an article, which might have helped and might have actually gotten some people in trouble. She started a poll literally demanding change to which many subscribed. So, what has been the follow-up attributable to her efforts? What have been the results of the article and the poll ? Where were the poll results sent? Any response from any competent authority?

So if the Embassies are familiar with it and can not accomplish any thing with it why don't you do like the rest of us do and enjoy are life with out trying to change the government when even are Embassies can't do it.

In short drop the subject you accomplish nothing. You have been given three honest answers from people who have asked and yet you refuse to accept them or go in yourself to get the answer. Drop it

That being the case, there is no point to your going on about it further.

• Like 1

Well, the inflammatory post was probably directed at me! Mai phen rai!

To make a few points clear:

1. I have never questioned Thai law regarding periodic registration of foreigners even though I might not agree with the necessity of all of it. Not my decision. Actually, I have experienced more intrusive concern in other countries for aliens on their soil.

2. After observing so many foreigners in my several years in Chiang Mai visiting the Chiang Mai Office as required, I have witnessed a lot of foreigners who can not seem to cope well. Some are just forgetful. Some just do not do their homework! ( All that bureaucratic detail, and so on!) Some are just clearly spoiled children or just ignorant. Too frequently they are noisy!

3. I admire the patience of the Immigration officers in Chiang Mai in dealing with foreigners. I am not one of the several who post on TV Chiang Mai who say offhandedly that the staff has it great with good office hours, good vacation and government benefits in an air-conditioned office. The great majority handle their day-to-day problems with much grace, in my view. Some, of course, do that better than others --- as many posters here have reported!

4. But I also believe that the Chiang Mai office unnecessarily creates a lot of its own problems! Yes, that office gets more problems than it deserves because of the large increase in foreigners in Chiang Mai and it is only one concern in a much larger Immigration situation in Thailand, but I do believe that they could make their own daily lives and the visit experience for foreigners at the office better. I still believe this after seeing what has happened in recent months in which I do believe some important improvements have been made. They still haven't got it right, but there has been solid progress.

PS I apologize in advance for any spelling mistakes or my lack of digital dexterity !! wai.gif

Edited by Mapguy

As to what happened to that poll -- I believe about 15 people were actually willing to disclose their identity by signing it and have been forever hounded by Thai language emails from change.org (or whatever that petition website was) ever since.

Having learned what happened to people who signed a petition against Hugo Chavez in Venezuela and the recall petition against Gov. Walker in Wisconsin, I'm never signing another petition again. Annoying emails are the least of the problems that can come in signing a petition.

• Like 1

Mapguy wrote: "Actually, I have experienced more intrusive concern in other countries for aliens on their soil."

Can you give a list of examples, please? I assume you are talking about recent times, and not, say, when country X was under martial law in the 80s.

Another new rule guys...............if it hasn't been mentioned before.

I've been with Thai Assist for my 90 day report and they have been energy and cost effective @ 1,000thb/year for 4 check ins. Yesterday I got an email from them saying that I had to drop my passport off with them before 11am and let them do the CMI thing then I had to pick it up after 4pm. Not wanting to hang out in the city for 5 hrs, that equals 2 trips to town for my 90 day when I was paying them to save me trips to town. Can't fault them because when I spoke with the guy there, he said it's a new rule from CMI. We'll do it ourselves and save time............

Come on CMI........please stop changing the rules!!