Montclair Wine

GiantFan

Italy has resumed it's place as king of the vines, overtaking France with Spain rounding out the top 3. Looking at the figures, looks like there might be an increase in cheap Chilean wine finding its way onto the market, which will be cheaper again if the FTA between Chile and Thailand is ratified.

http://www.3news.co.nz/world/italy-become-worlds-top-wine-producer-2015102906#axzz3pu4mCgt8

And if you're on Facebook, I encourage you to seek out the "Thai Wine Association" page. I had a wee look today and was both pleased and shocked by what is being posted there! Pleased for the content and shocked that it has been posted. Given the "admin" of the page though, I'm not surprised ;)

Italy has resumed it's place as king of the vines, overtaking France with Spain rounding out the top 3. Looking at the figures, looks like there might be an increase in cheap Chilean wine finding its way onto the market, which will be cheaper again if the FTA between Chile and Thailand is ratified.

http://www.3news.co.nz/world/italy-become-worlds-top-wine-producer-2015102906#axzz3pu4mCgt8

Thanks for that link GS.......... didn't know that you would be interested in NZ websites?

For others who may read here, nothing much startling in that because both France and Italy have been changing positions as to who produces the most wine, for almost as long as I can remember!

Interesting about Chile's increased production and one can only hope that your prediction with regards to Chilean wine, the Free Trade Agreement and the price here comes to fruition.

As for your other post, well I have closed my Facebook account, although I may just open it again to see what the "mystery" is all about??

And if you're on Facebook, I encourage you to seek out the "Thai Wine Association" page. I had a wee look today and was both pleased and shocked by what is being posted there! Pleased for the content and shocked that it has been posted. Given the "admin" of the page though, I'm not surprised wink.png

Got onto the page GS............exactly what am I looking for???

Not a regular user of FB so maybe not finding my way around like I should!

Thanks for that link GS.......... didn't know that you would be interested in NZ websites?

For others who may read here, nothing much startling in that because both France and Italy have been changing positions as to who produces the most wine, for almost as long as I can remember!

Interesting about Chile's increased production and one can only hope that your prediction with regards to Chilean wine, the Free Trade Agreement and the price here comes to fruition.

As for your other post, well I have closed my Facebook account, although I may just open it again to see what the "mystery" is all about??

You know that old saying, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em? I was actually at a dinner a few weeks ago and had a really good long look at what NZ is producing outside of Marlborough and Sauvignon Blanc, also got to have a really good chat with Bob Campbell MW.

Suffice to say, the NZ wine scape IS much more than cheap and cheerful Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough. Case in point, I tried a Sauvignon Blanc from Hawke's Bay. Much more Sancerre than Marlborough. Needless to say, there's lots to like about the NZ wine scape.

And if you're on Facebook, I encourage you to seek out the "Thai Wine Association" page. I had a wee look today and was both pleased and shocked by what is being posted there! Pleased for the content and shocked that it has been posted. Given the "admin" of the page though, I'm not surprised wink.png

Got onto the page GS............exactly what am I looking for???

Not a regular user of FB so maybe not finding my way around like I should!

You'll see a post with a series of pics with back labels ;)

You know that old saying, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em? I was actually at a dinner a few weeks ago and had a really good long look at what NZ is producing outside of Marlborough and Sauvignon Blanc, also got to have a really good chat with Bob Campbell MW.

Suffice to say, the NZ wine scape IS much more than cheap and cheerful Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough. Case in point, I tried a Sauvignon Blanc from Hawke's Bay. Much more Sancerre than Marlborough. Needless to say, there's lots to like about the NZ wine scape.

You'll see a post with a series of pics with back labels wink.png

I did get onto that again and saw the pics although I'm not sure I fully understood what it was all about apart from someone pointing out the fact that fruit juice was mixed with wine and I'm not sure what the other Thai writing said!

When you said you were shocked at what had been posted, would love some enlightenment on that.

As for the New Zealand wine scene, yes there is a lot to admire about the place and once one gets away from the "typical" grassy sauvignon blanc, there are lots of other good versions around and the occasional decent Pinot Noir is being made in Otago and its environs.

I have been very impressed by some of the Hawke's Bay reds, with a couple I tried a few years ago being a cross somewhere between a decent Aussie red and a Bordeaux with some really luscious fruit prominent in them.

We've come a long way from the mid-80s when the "flavour du jour" was a really hefty Chardonnay with so much oak in it that you could almost get splinters in your tongue and when tried just a few years after the vintage, there was no discernible fruit left available in the wine whatsoever, and if you add that to the other rage at the time which was "Fume Blanc" (Sauvignon Blanc aged in oak which often produced disappointing results) then you can see we have moved on quite considerably.

Edited by xylophone

I did get onto that again and saw the pics although I'm not sure I fully understood what it was all about apart from someone pointing out the fact that fruit juice was mixed with wine and I'm not sure what the other Thai writing said!

When you said you were shocked at what had been posted, would love some enlightenment on that.

As for the New Zealand wine scene, yes there is a lot to admire about the place and once one gets away from the "typical" grassy sauvignon blanc, there are lots of other good versions around and the occasional decent Pinot Noir is being made in Otago and its environs.

I have been very impressed by some of the Hawke's Bay reds, with a couple I tried a few years ago being a cross somewhere between a decent Aussie red and a Bordeaux with some really luscious fruit prominent in them.

We've come a long way from the mid-80s when the "flavour du jour" was a really hefty Chardonnay with so much oak in it that you could almost get splinters in your tongue and when tried just a few years after the vintage, there was no discernible fruit left available in the wine whatsoever, and if you add that to the other rage at the time which was "Fume Blanc" (Sauvignon Blanc aged in oak which often produced disappointing results) then you can see we have moved on quite considerably.

As I understood the article, it's about everything we've been discussing regarding Fruit Wine. To piece the puzzle of my "shock" you need to look at the "about" information where you should see a website of a Thai winery based in Khao Yai.

• 3 weeks later...

Montclair isn't as good as 2 buck chuck and that sucks. I've got a box on the kitchen counter, I'm sorry to say. I bought it because it was 880b at Mackro, down a bit. It will get drunk but the wine experience in LOS is pathetic.

When you buy wine in Thailand look where it is bottle. If Siam winery or another place in Thailand fruit juice has been added to keep down tax, what else they add to make it taste like wine I do not know. Look at the back if it says Fruit wine - juice etc. has been added.

Almost all box wines has added fruit juice unless it’s made abroad and imported in box. Even then be careful, importers / exporters may cheat if so it says - Fruit wine at the back

A couple of years ago you could buy a beautiful Chile wine in box made in Chile called Bodegas, it had a delicate aroma with grape, lemon and hints of vanilla. The best I have ever tasted from a box. Unfortunately, Chile raised the price and the importer here got angry, and stopped the import. Instead they copied the name and the picture from the old label, actually the whole label is copied, you cannot see the difference. Today it sells with Australian wine mixed with fruit juice, and still called Bodegas - taste terrible. Thailand and wine are in some cases one big cheat.

Montclair isn't as good as 2 buck chuck and that sucks. I've got a box on the kitchen counter, I'm sorry to say. I bought it because it was 880b at Mackro, down a bit. It will get drunk but the wine experience in LOS is pathetic.

When you buy wine in Thailand look where it is bottle. If Siam winery or another place in Thailand fruit juice has been added to keep down tax, what else they add to make it taste like wine I do not know. Look at the back if it says Fruit wine - juice etc. has been added.

Almost all box wines has added fruit juice unless it’s made abroad and imported in box. Even then be careful, importers / exporters may cheat if so it says - Fruit wine at the back

A couple of years ago you could buy a beautiful Chile wine in box made in Chile called Bodegas, it had a delicate aroma with grape, lemon and hints of vanilla. The best I have ever tasted from a box. Unfortunately, Chile raised the price and the importer here got angry, and stopped the import. Instead they copied the name and the picture from the old label, actually the whole label is copied, you cannot see the difference. Today it sells with Australian wine mixed with fruit juice, and still called Bodegas - taste terrible. Thailand and wine are in some cases one big cheat.

Many, if not all of the boxed wines from abroad now have fruit juice added at the point of origin........from Australia, France, South Africa and of course those "made" by Siam Winery and made to look as though they come from other countries (eg. Finca de Malpica, Mar Y Sol, Berri Estates etc)!!!

The Chilean wine you are referring to was Bodegas Centenarias and it was a good "drinker", but the clone is called Bodegas Valley, yet it comes from Oz and has fruit juice added!!! Make sense of that if you will.

At least the boxed wines and the bottled wines which contain fruit juice say as much on the label, apart from those made by Siam Winery which will not mention it and the only giveaway is "Fruit Wine" hidden away on the back label or similar.

Much on this contained throughout this thread............

Many, if not all of the boxed wines from abroad now have fruit juice added at the point of origin

I assume that you are talking about boxed wine that is imported in bulk and then placed in "boxes" here in Thailand

I can't imagine any real vinter mixing fruit juice with wine for any other purpose other than limiting their Thai Import tax liability

I would be more than willing to pay the extra tax for real imported boxed wine for the convenience and longevity but as you have succinctly pointed out NO HAB

To be sure, I just looked at a 5 liter box of Almaden (Mountain Rhine) that I brought from the US and the only information on the box is that it contained Sulfides and the pregnant woman warning. Not a word about fruit juice anywhere on the box

Many, if not all of the boxed wines from abroad now have fruit juice added at the point of origin

I assume that you are talking about boxed wine that is imported in bulk and then placed in "boxes" here in Thailand

I can't imagine any real vinter mixing fruit juice with wine for any other purpose other than limiting their Thai Import tax liability

I would be more than willing to pay the extra tax for real imported boxed wine for the convenience and longevity but as you have succinctly pointed out NO HAB

To be sure, I just looked at a 5 liter box of Almaden (Mountain Rhine) that I brought from the US and the only information on the box is that it contained Sulfides and the pregnant woman warning. Not a word about fruit juice anywhere on the box

Unfortunately there are many boxed wines from abroad which have the fruit juice added at the point of origin, i.e. Australia or even France and this is stated on the box.

It is also evident on imported bottled wines from Australia and if you look at some of the bottles of the "Rolling" range you will also see that they have fruit juice added in Australia before being exported. I have also seen this on bottles imported from France and South Africa.

On another thread, it was shown that by adding fruit juice to the wine, less tax was paid upon importing into Thailand, so you are right in this respect.

I'm not familiar with your box of Almaden wine and although it may not say on the back that it has added fruit juice, the giveaway is to look to see whether it has the words "Fruit Wine" anywhere on it, because if that is the case, then it has fruit juice added.

Fruit juice or even fruit is not mentioned on the box and if it had I would not have bothered bringing it to Thailand

But your post does not answer my question of whether or not this " fruit juice" is added at the point of origin ONLY for import tax reasons or for some wine making or other commercial purposes

Fruit juice or even fruit is not mentioned on the box and if it had I would not have bothered bringing it to Thailand

But your post does not answer my question of whether or not this " fruit juice" is added at the point of origin ONLY for import tax reasons or for some wine making or other commercial purposes

Sorry I thought I made that clear (as posted elsewhere)........for tax and duty purposes only.

There is absolutely no other reason as the likes of Oz, France, Italy etc are awash with cheap low end wine and to get rid of them and make them even cheaper to appeal to the price conscious buyer, then this is done.

I did include an article on this thread from a UK newspaper lamenting the fact that things had come to this........fruit juice added to wine purely for cost purposes.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification. I guess if I want unadulterated boxed wine here in Thailand I am SOL

"SOL"???? Not familiar with that Langsuan Man?

Another poster (another thread perhaps) did state that the tax/duty on wine was 60% whereas wine mixed with fruit juice was 20%..........could explain a lot.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess if I want unadulterated boxed wine here in Thailand I am SOL

"SOL"???? Not familiar with that Langsuan Man?

Another poster (another thread perhaps) did state that the tax/duty on wine was 60% whereas wine mixed with fruit juice was 20%..........could explain a lot.

I would guess Shit Out of Luck - SOL gigglem.gif

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Was in Makro today and noticed a couple of other cask wines, à la Montclair, with fruit juice added and these were from France, however it was clearly stated on the label that this was the case.

Jumping around a bit here, but still on the subject of wine, I did notice some wines in Supercheap (Phuket town) that were priced very well and these included the bottled version of what used to be found in cask (and it was a good wine with no fruit juice added) Bodegas Centenarius from Chile and it was 399 baht per bottle, plus a couple of others which were at least 100 baht below the advertised price in the likes of Big C, at around 400 baht a bottle.

Might be worth a visit if one was stocking up for Christmas.

• Like 1

Was in Makro today and noticed a couple of other cask wines, à la Montclair, with fruit juice added and these were from France, however it was clearly stated on the label that this was the case.

Jumping around a bit here, but still on the subject of wine, I did notice some wines in Supercheap (Phuket town) that were priced very well and these included the bottled version of what used to be found in cask (and it was a good wine with no fruit juice added) Bodegas Centenarius from Chile and it was 399 baht per bottle, plus a couple of others which were at least 100 baht below the advertised price in the likes of Big C, at around 400 baht a bottle.

Unfortunately not one in Pattaya.......and all the sell offs appear to have stopped.........sad.png

Unfortunately not one in Pattaya.......and all the sell offs appear to have stopped.........sad.png

Sorry about that "topt"................as I was writing it I did wonder if Supercheap was a Phuket thing or was nationwide!

Sorry about that "topt"................as I was writing it I did wonder if Supercheap was a Phuket thing or was nationwide!

SuperCheap is a private local family company and at this time only based here in Phuket. I suppose we locals loose sight of this as there are mini SuperCheaps everywhere.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Montclair or otherwise, please say it ain’t so……………….

New UK drinking guidelines are casting doubt on claims that red wine protects the heart.

For years we've been told that one or two glasses a day prevent heart disease. Red wine is thought to contain antioxidants which slow the ageing process and relax blood vessels.

But the latest advice states it may only be beneficial to women over 55 - not to men. And even then this only applies if it is drunk in small amounts.

The guidance also points out there may not be any benefit at all. Studies have shown Britons who drink small amounts live longer than teetotallers. But this may be explained by them being wealthier and in better health.

The UK Department of Health said researchers at Sheffield University analysed a number of studies showing alcohol only protected the hearts of women over 55. Even so, this was only for small amounts - less than one unit a day - and they could not be certain it wasn't due to other reasons such as women drinkers being wealthier and in overall better health”.

New UK drinking guidelines are casting doubt on claims that red wine protects the heart.

For years we've been told that one or two glasses a day prevent heart disease. Red wine is thought to contain antioxidants which slow the ageing process and relax blood vessels.

But the latest advice states it may only be beneficial to women over 55 - not to men. And even then this only applies if it is drunk in small amounts.

The guidance also points out there may not be any benefit at all. Studies have shown Britons who drink small amounts live longer than teetotallers. But this may be explained by them being wealthier and in better health.

The UK Department of Health said researchers at Sheffield University analysed a number of studies showing alcohol only protected the hearts of women over 55. Even so, this was only for small amounts - less than one unit a day - and they could not be certain it wasn't due to other reasons such as women drinkers being wealthier and in overall better health”.

I prefer these sorts of views- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265635.php (and it is fairly recent). The statement above also goes to show the potential misreading of statistics......

The problem is that as they seem to flip flop from one opposing view to another, on health in general, on a fairly regular basis it is almost impossible to keep up with the latest "trend". Just enjoy wine for what it is - do you really need any extra affirmation.......thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I prefer these sorts of views- http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265635.php (and it is fairly recent). The statement above also goes to show the potential misreading of statistics......

The problem is that as they seem to flip flop from one opposing view to another, on health in general, on a fairly regular basis it is almost impossible to keep up with the latest "trend". Just enjoy wine for what it is - do you really need any extra affirmation.......thumbsup.gif

"Just enjoy wine for what it is - do you really need any extra affirmation".

Too true topt..........and like you I prefer your sort of articles, and I'd drink good red wine no matter what!!

"Just enjoy wine for what it is - do you really need any extra affirmation".

Too true topt..........and like you I prefer your sort of articles, and I'd drink good red wine no matter what!!

An interesting and more positive article (for drinkers thumbsup.gif ) following up on the report -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/08/uk_alcohol_guidelines_are_junk_but_why/

In fact, neither the cancer scare nor the “unsafe at any level” recommendation have any scientific justification.

• Like 2

Thanks GS, now I know that those years of drinking copious amounts of red wine obviously paid off................cheesy.gif

The final sentence seems a little "ambiguous" - or self evident......take your pick

Cassidy said the benefits were strongest among younger men.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

836 and now 837 post about Montclair Wine?

I know we are still in the shadow of the 2008 financial crises, but still.

Keep up - the posts have moved on a long way from just Montclair thumbsup.gif

Try reading some and you may find something interesting smile.png

• Like 2

836 and now 837 post about Montclair Wine?

I know we are still in the shadow of the 2008 financial crises, but still.

Keep up - the posts have moved on a long way from just Montclair thumbsup.gif

Try reading some and you may find something interesting smile.png

Very sneaky. I will have to catch up on the fine wine discussion, but not tonight.