• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 26

Famous Singer Tik Shiro Involved in Fatal Bangkok Car Accident, Two Dead

2. 0

Survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Awarded Nobel Peace Prize for Nuclear Disarmament

3. 0

Controversy Surrounds Guardian Review of Oct 7 Documentary on Hamas Massacre

4. 0

Unlikely Justice for Victims of Novichok Poisoning, Says Former PM Theresa May

5. 0

The Growing Influence of the US Far Right on Ireland's Extremist Movements

6. 0

Boris Johnson Hints at Potential Return to Front-Line Politics

7. 0

Pro-Palestinian ‘mob-rule tactics’ Force Postponement of Braverman’s Cambridge Speech

8. 0

Taylor Swift Donates $5 Million to Hurricane Relief Efforts

9. 0

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

10. 0

DeSantis Pushes Back on Climate Change’s Role in Stronger Storms

11. 0

German Politician Calls for Ban on Greta Thunberg Over Pro-Palestinian Protest Involvement

12. 0

U.S. Seeks to Weaken Hezbollah’s Grip on Lebanon Amid Israeli Offensive

13. 0

YouTuber and BBC Star Yung Filly Arrested in Australia Over Alleged Hotel Rape

Education Ministry To Help Thai Teachers To Earn More Income

Education Ministry to help teachers to earn more income

Bangkok, 14 May 2013, (NNT) -- Permanent Secretary of the Education Ministry Panita Kamphu Na Ayuthya (พนิตา กำภู ณ อยุธยา) has instructed the Office of the Welfare Promotion Commission for Teachers and Education Personnel to seek solution to ongoing problems of teachers being heavily in debts, pointing out the possibility of providing them with low interest loans.

According to Ms. Panita, the campaign aims at combining each teacher's debts into one lump sum, which would simplify the paying method; adding that initially the yearly interest rate would be around 5%, considerably lower than that of any other loan.

However, the permanent secretary said the scheme will be offered to only teachers whose loans are in default; the welfare office would pay off the loans on behalf of those teachers, who will be obligated to pay the office back with lower interests.

Furthermore, Ms. Panita said the long-term solution for teacher debts is to help them generate more income by, for example, forming groups of teachers and students to produce goods or to participate in OTOP production. Ms. Panita said the Education Ministry would soon assign Office of The Non-Formal Education Commission to provide occupational training to teachers.

Realizing that it is difficult for teachers to reduce their expenses, Ms. Panita said providing them with earning channels would be a better solution to the debt issue.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-14 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Not sure why if we have a minimum wage now why they would be in debt more than any other citizen if they are living outwith their means they need to not spend so much even although they are providing a public service so are the many other public servants, to encourage then into to default in order to get lower interest rates on their loans is just asking for trouble.

If they are being asked to do additional duties which cause them to spend more money then the educational establishment must pay for that additional expense in the form of higher salaries otherwise it is all about learning to live within their means.

So first it will be teachers, then janitors, then cleaners then land office assistants, then drivers of refuse collection where will it stop.

If the salaries are not correct given that they are higher trained then give them a proper raise do not just give them a way to get cheap loans and say I helped you, look how good I am...

• Like 1

maybe they can teach the teachers some basic financial lessons : to not borrow more than you can pay back ?

the teacher of our kids is moonlighting at 300 b per hour in the weekends

• Like 1

my wifes father was a headmaster in phuket his pension should be 22,000bht a month but because being a thai man and trying to be (johny big potatoes) look at me im a teacher i know better than you,he now only gets 1,600 a month after paying back loans from the union of teachers low rate i may add,and when he dies so does the debt,,,,example of abuse of privalege a resort in phang-nga was opened after he convinced the locals it was a fantastic idea,jobs etc,even though it was meant to be part of a national park,,they wore it,but no jobs if you dont speak english,maybe a cleaner,after it opened low and behold the owner dont need him anymore,big loss of face,i cried and cried with laughter,weve been taken off xmas card list happy days,,,

Edited by winstonc
  • Like 1

So the English and math teachers in Thai government schools are going to receive vocational education on how to set up somtam stands with their students to earn some extra money on the side? Or weave baskets, or make khanom Thai???

What a wonderful educational innovation!!! Where does the government come up with such briliant ideas? whistling.gif

Instead of loans, how about a raise in salary?

Or some education in morals about how not to be so greedy. Our car park is full of new cars 'owned' by Thai teachers. These car would cost their monthly salary or more. Lord know how/who is paying for it. There are even two fortuners! Driving themselves and their families into long term debt just to make face. It's probably the saddest part of this wonderful culture.

Salaries could increase but admin would ask for more hours to compensate. It's also well known that increases in salaries will not improve teaching standards...teaching quality arises from the attitudes from teachers to teaching and their students.

My adopted Thai son graduated top of his class from CMU. Since early on, he has always wanted to be an advanced Thai Language Teacher. After graduation he was given a teaching position at Techno Asia here in CNX, and quickly became one of the most likeable teachers they had. He was there for a year before getting his government teaching post up in Arunothai, in Chiang Dao.

Teaching to Techno Asia allowed him to live at home. His salary was 8k a month, and he always saved as much as he could. As a gvt teacher his salary is 8.5k a month. Yeah, major increase, right? But there are "perks" and benefits that go with any government position. He's engaged to a woman who is also a teacher, but she was sent down to the BKK area, and both have to wait 2 years before they can apply for transfers to Chiang Mai. In the meantime, each of them deposit 2,000 a month into a joint account to build up for a down payment for a good car once they are married. I was a bit shocked when I heard this as, while I know my son is definitely more intelligent, with more common sense than most his age, long term planning is not exactly a Thai trait.

The other day I jokingly asked him if he was getting that 15k a month salary for those with a degree that the PTP used as one of their campaign promises. I heard him laughing all the way out the door to the driveway.

If the government really wants to do something for teachers, how about keeping their promise on the 15k a month salary. Yeah, there's always going to be those who, for reasons of "face" will spend even more, and still be in debt, but for a lot of others, I would be a blessing.

Instead of loans, how about a raise in salary?

They are on very good salaries now check it, my ex was on 32K plus because she kisses the directors A**e she gets 2 increases pre year approx. made 4% increase per year.

After loans are taken out she gets 14K there are some in her school walk away with 5K after loans are taken out.

They had a very good pay deal a few years ago it was linked to better productivity, alas they got the former but never produced the later.

The only reason they are in debt is because they are govt officers and can borrow what they like.

Forgot to add last count she was 2 million B in debt, just refinanced her year old car, why should she worry the debt written off when she pops her clogs. Edited by paulmw