Using Thai A.t.m. Card In U.s.a.?

I check with my SCB bank and they charge a 100 baht/transaction to use my SCB ATM card in the States. Plus, I'm sure I will not get the best exchange rate.

Also, wont the bank that owns the US ATM (Bank of America for example) charge a fee?

Does anyone know the best (cheapest) way to use Thai ATM cards in the USA? I will be making many ATM withdraws while in the US so I need the cheapest option.

As well, I will be withdrawing the maximum each time I do a transaction. From what I remember, most US ATMs only allow a $300 withdraw a day (9,000 baht). That is low, anyone know a bank with high withdraw limit?

Thanks

Edited by lukeskywalker

I think you'll find that the maximum w/d today is $500. That changed some time ago with the banks I use.

I don't know the best way because I haven't operated in that direction. Are you a US citizen? If so you could open a bank account in the US with a bank that has free checking and ATM. Then perhaps you could do online transfers at a better rate. At the least, you could do online transfers and then walk in and cash a check for much more than $500. You wouldn't incur as many transaction fees from overseas.

I don't know the rules for non-citizens.

I have one major bank and one savings and loan which is for practical purposes the same, that provide free checking, free checks and free ATM with a minimum balance of $500. That's not true of all, but there are enough you'll find one fast enough online.

If you could open an account, avoid bank account and ATM fees, and pay only for the exchange on larger amounts, I think you'd be stylin'.

Most US banks have correspondent relationships with many other banks, and I always find ATM withdrawals to be free at other banks in the US when I travel.

Edited by NeverSure

The OP is right about the U.S. ATM probably charging a fee....and it not just because he would be using a foreign ATM card, it just because bank's typically charge such fees for folks who use another bank's ATM card.

• Like 1

If you have an account in the States then transfer the money over via a wire transfer. Then you will just need to worry about finding an ATM from your bank.

I send money over regularly using the ATMs. I deposit money over here in a Thai bank account and my father withdrawls it over there with an ATM card attached to that account (or vis versa) and he is able to pull $600 per tranaction and the rate they give is usually very reasonable. Anytime the amount is less than 3k USD it is worth going the ATM route, but more than 3k we find wiring the money (about 1200 baht total) to be the cheaper way.

My bank (USAA) allows me to withdraw up to $1200 per day but I had to contact them by phone before they would do it. Based on the exchange rates now, I may have to up that amount. The $1200 amount is only one time per month so they have been generous to me.

I think you'll find that the maximum w/d today is $500. That changed some time ago with the banks I use.

I don't know the best way because I haven't operated in that direction. Are you a US citizen? If so you could open a bank account in the US with a bank that has free checking and ATM. Then perhaps you could do online transfers at a better rate. At the least, you could do online transfers and then walk in and cash a check for much more than $500. You wouldn't incur as many transaction fees from overseas.

I don't know the rules for non-citizens.

I have one major bank and one savings and loan which is for practical purposes the same, that provide free checking, free checks and free ATM with a minimum balance of $500. That's not true of all, but there are enough you'll find one fast enough online.

If you could open an account, avoid bank account and ATM fees, and pay only for the exchange on larger amounts, I think you'd be stylin'.

Most US banks have correspondent relationships with many other banks, and I always find ATM withdrawals to be free at other banks in the US when I travel.

For Wells Fargo it's $310 and that was the limit back in mid-2010, so less than 3 years ago now. Perhaps Bank of America and others have the higher $500 limit but I'm not sure.