Farang Prices In Thailand

SiggiCM

Based on whether you *live here* or not.

would the completely fair way be...if you pay tax in Thailand ?

Not really, since a huge portion of Thais pay no tax ...at least if you are talking about income tax. Everyone must pay VAT at some time in their life, a tourist is most likey to pay the most probably, as compared to an average Thai citizen.

• Like 2

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep OK. but there was a time when a young black woman wanting to sit at the front of the bus didn't seem like the big battle that needed fighting.

-

Sure but that was actually about true racism with important consequences for a group that was genuinely disadvantaged.

Not world travelers most likely members of the most entitled categories, not oppressed minorities, whingeing about saving a few dollars when they're already in the top single-digit wealthiest group on the planet.

Not to mention the fact that the battle was fought and won by the people that were actually citizens of that country, decades of foreigners carping at the US about our shameful racism sure didn't have any impact at all did it?

Travellers of the most entitled categories? Have you seen the Jeststar planes from oz being full of singlet wearing sandal wearing travellers? Most save all year just to afford a holiday where they get things cheap.

I think you are being a bit over the top with your other observations.

-

Income taxes? Most Thais don't.

VAT? Even tourists do.

I think "living here" is fair enough, and leave it to the interpretation of the guy at the gate so it's in compliance with Thai culture, part of the genuine experience, including getting a laugh at the "think-too-much" farang shouting and pulling his hair out at the injustice of it all.

• Like 1

As for Farang prices. I play golf, a lot.

But in Thailand the cost of a round on a decent course is about the same as I would pay in my home country (oz) yet in Thailand the cost of maintaining the course and the wages are in no way the same. So I have a real issue with paying the same for a game in Thailand as in oz.

Hence I have not had a game in Thailand.

• Like 2

Off the Pot now PaiMan.

You defend dual pricing, you tell us " part of the genuine experience, including getting a laugh at the "think-too-much" farang shouting and pulling his hair out at the injustice of it all".

Do you accept that charging foreigners higher prices in private hospitals will inevitably place health care out of reach for some foreigners?

Do you regard objecting to dual pricing in private hospitals as a triviality that foreigners should not 'think-too-much' about?

Private hospitals are a profit-making business and IMO should be allowed to do whatever they like.

Thailand should require a reasonable level of health insurance for all visitors, especially the elderly, and offer insurance policies for third-world levels of treatment in the government system where the foreigners' contributions subsidize the Thai system, but not too much.

Here's an example of how rates could be charged based on age, perhaps this is too cheap but just an example of what I think would be fair:

Age THB/month USD/year
10 1,000 400
15 1,500 600
20 2,000 800
25 2,500 1000
30 3,000 1200
35 3,500 1400
40 4,000 1600
45 4,500 1800
50 5,000 2000
55 5,500 2200
60 6,000 2400
65 6,500 2600
70 7,000 2800
75 7,500 3000
80 8,000 3200
85 8,500 3400
90 9,000 3600
95 9,500 3800
100 10,000 4000 

-

Foreigners that want first-world coverage will need to make their own arrangements.

Everyone should also sign a disclaimer that they realize they're putting their lives at risk by coming here and are willing to have the plug pulled if their treatment is too expensive rather than expecting the Thai taxpayer to subsidize the heroic treatments that aren't even affordable back in our own countries.

Edited by PalMan

Or we realize that even at 2400 baht it's a fraction of what a similar outing would cost at home, so we go anyway smile.png

Simalarly, my family has a car dealership in US. Cars are significantly cheaper there than Thailand so I always tell my uncle that Thai people should pay 1/2 to double more than americans pay.

A new nissan costs 20,000 dollars, Thais should pay 30. They are still getting a deal, in Thailand they would pay 35-40.

According to your post you surely agree, right?

They have to pay more to get into Disney World or is it Disneyland - the one in florida. The locals all get discounts.

Or we realize that even at 2400 baht it's a fraction of what a similar outing would cost at home, so we go anyway smile.png

Simalarly, my family has a car dealership in US. Cars are significantly cheaper there than Thailand so I always tell my uncle that Thai people should pay 1/2 to double more than americans pay.

A new nissan costs 20,000 dollars, Thais should pay 30. They are still getting a deal, in Thailand they would pay 35-40.

They have to pay more to get into Disney World or is it Disneyland - the one in florida. The locals all get discounts.

Does every US citizen get discounts into them?

spidermike007, on 20 May 2013 - 11:52, said:

From what I have heard, if you show a Thai drivers license, or proof that you live in Thailand, they are obligated to offer you the Thai price. It does work sometimes, unless you are dealing with a exceptionally stubborn, or ignorant individual. Have you ever run into one of those?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Simple - speak the local language and you get in for the local price.

Fair enough in any country.

Private hospitals are a profit-making business and IMO should be allowed to do whatever they like.

Thailand should require a reasonable level of health insurance for all visitors, especially the elderly, and offer insurance policies for third-world levels of treatment in the government system where the foreigners' contributions subsidize the Thai system, but not too much.

Here's an example of how rates could be charged based on age, perhaps this is too cheap but just an example of what I think would be fair:

Age THB/month USD/year
10 1,000 400
15 1,500 600
20 2,000 800
25 2,500 1000
30 3,000 1200
35 3,500 1400
40 4,000 1600
45 4,500 1800
50 5,000 2000
55 5,500 2200
60 6,000 2400
65 6,500 2600
70 7,000 2800
75 7,500 3000
80 8,000 3200
85 8,500 3400
90 9,000 3600
95 9,500 3800
100 10,000 4000 

-

Foreigners that want first-world coverage will need to make their own arrangements.

Everyone should also sign a disclaimer that they realize they're putting their lives at risk by coming here and are willing to have the plug pulled if their treatment is too expensive rather than expecting the Thai taxpayer to subsidize the heroic treatments that aren't even affordable back in our own countries.

You did not answer my question.

You went off on a detour talking about what you think ought to be the case.

The reality is Private Hospitals in Thailand are operating dual pricing.

Does every US citizen get discounts into them?

Just Floridians I think, unless they're in the forces.

Off the Pot now PaiMan.

You defend dual pricing, you tell us " part of the genuine experience, including getting a laugh at the "think-too-much" farang shouting and pulling his hair out at the injustice of it all".

Do you accept that charging foreigners higher prices in private hospitals will inevitably place health care out of reach for some foreigners?

Do you regard objecting to dual pricing in private hospitals as a triviality that foreigners should not 'think-too-much' about?

Once again PaiMan.... this time try to address the questions and not go off on a tangent.

Age THB/month USD/year
10 1,000 400
15 1,500 600
20 2,000 800
25 2,500 1000
30 3,000 1200
35 3,500 1400
40 4,000 1600
45 4,500 1800
50 5,000 2000
55 5,500 2200
60 6,000 2400
65 6,500 2600
70 7,000 2800
75 7,500 3000
80 8,000 3200
85 8,500 3400
90 9,000 3600
95 9,500 3800
100 10,000 4000 

-

You did not answer my question.

You went off on a detour talking about what you think ought to be the case.

The reality is Private Hospitals in Thailand are operating dual pricing.

Well make use of the cheap government ones if you can't afford them

Travellers of the most entitled categories?

White men.

And have a look at wealth/income distribution of the global human population - nobody posting here is the bottom 90%, many in the top 1%.

Humans be human, and from that POV this is definitely a first worlder's problem, totally trivial.

And denying yourself golf just because you think it should be cheaper, seems silly to me.

Golfers from every other country I know of go on and on about how cheap the sport is here.

Are you sure you're not talking about government-subsidized golf courses back home? I've heard such a thing exists in the lucky country (further tax-sponsored crimes crimes against the ecosystem IMO. . .)

I deny myself golf in Thailand as I don't want to be ripped off.

Last time in Phuket I was going to play with friends at either Red Mountain or Loch Palm. Red Mountain was about 5000 bt and Loch Palm about 4000 bt. Of course there are caddy costs etc.

I play a lot of golf on comparative golf courses on the gold coast in oz. Palm Meadows is approx 2500 bt and no you don't need a caddy, or even a cart. Most resorts on the gold coast are about 3000 bt or less.

So no, I don't like the courses in Thailand paying a pittance to the workers but charging western prices. It's just taking the piss.

That would be the same as going to Thailand and sitting in a bar and being happy to pay 150bt or more for a beer. Why pay that much when the overheads for staff etc are a fraction of the cost. That would be just daft.

• Like 1

And that is where the issue is for me. If the theme parks etc in Thailand give discounts to the locals then that would be ok. But they give them to ALL Thais.

-

Income taxes? Most Thais don't.

VAT? Even tourists do.

I think "living here" is fair enough, and leave it to the interpretation of the guy at the gate so it's in compliance with Thai culture, part of the genuine experience, including getting a laugh at the "think-too-much" farang shouting and pulling his hair out at the injustice of it all.

Whether Thai's pay income taxes is somewhat irrelevant in this discussion, it is being suggested that "residents" should be given the "thai price" which infers it would be ok to charge tourists a dual/higher price...I am mearly suggesting that for a farang to get "thai prices" they should in fact be paying income tax, to qualify for this "discount" as they are paying into the system and one assumes some of there tax money goes into the upkeep of national parks etc...

VAT doesnt even come into the equation.

Although I agree with you for the most part as regards foreigners needing to have health insurance, but dont see why they should offer any form of insurance for "third-world levels" of treatment...last time I looked the Thai goverment were not in the insurance business...

Travellers of the most entitled categories?

White men.

And have a look at wealth/income distribution of the global human population - nobody posting here is the bottom 90%, many in the top 1%.

Humans be human, and from that POV this is definitely a first worlder's problem, totally trivial.

And denying yourself golf just because you think it should be cheaper, seems silly to me.

Golfers from every other country I know of go on and on about how cheap the sport is here.

Are you sure you're not talking about government-subsidized golf courses back home? I've heard such a thing exists in the lucky country (further tax-sponsored crimes crimes against the ecosystem IMO. . .)

I deny myself golf in Thailand as I don't want to be ripped off.

Last time in Phuket I was going to play with friends at either Red Mountain or Loch Palm. Red Mountain was about 5000 bt and Loch Palm about 4000 bt. Of course there are caddy costs etc.

I play a lot of golf on comparative golf courses on the gold coast in oz. Palm Meadows is approx 2500 bt and no you don't need a caddy, or even a cart. Most resorts on the gold coast are about 3000 bt or less.

So no, I don't like the courses in Thailand paying a pittance to the workers but charging western prices. It's just taking the piss.

That would be the same as going to Thailand and sitting in a bar and being happy to pay 150bt or more for a beer. Why pay that much when the overheads for staff etc are a fraction of the cost. That would be just daft.

If a majority of people like you, voted with their feet and didn't go, dual pricing would stop.

If you pay the stupid rip off price you encourage them to continue or even increase it.

Shame that you miss out on your sport, but good for you and your principals.

Thailand is a poorer country than most farang countries- makes 100% sense that they would try to charge extra for tourists. Getting boycotted by a handful of stingy/miserly farang tourists is going to have zero impact.

They are not charging extra for tourists - it is just that the locals get a discount.
Usually, you can get a similar discount with a Thai drivers license but not always.
Personally I don't mind that tourists pay a higher price - they don't pay taxes here and thus don't contribute to upkeep (especially for government owned ventures. I would show a tax card/work permit and ask for the Thai price. If they still refuse I'd walk away. Similarly, western countries should also charge Thais and other foreigners more to enter their tourist attractions for the same reasons - you don't pay taxes here so you supplement with an extra fee.
  • Like 1

spidermike007, on 20 May 2013 - 11:52, said:

From what I have heard, if you show a Thai drivers license, or proof that you live in Thailand, they are obligated to offer you the Thai price. It does work sometimes, unless you are dealing with a exceptionally stubborn, or ignorant individual. Have you ever run into one of those?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Simple - speak the local language and you get in for the local price.

Fair enough in any country.

But not fair to people who work here legally & pay taxes but may not speak the local language...shouldnt they get the local price as well ?....after all they are paying into the system

Edited by Soutpeel

Thailand is a poorer country than most farang countries- makes 100% sense that they would try to charge extra for tourists. Getting boycotted by a handful of stingy/miserly farang tourists is going to have zero impact.

They are not charging extra for tourists - it is just that the locals get a discount.
Usually, you can get a similar discount with a Thai drivers license but not always.
Personally I don't mind that tourists pay a higher price - they don't pay taxes here and thus don't contribute to upkeep (especially for government owned ventures. I would show a tax card/work permit and ask for the Thai price. If they still refuse I'd walk away. Similarly, western countries should also charge Thais and other foreigners more to enter their tourist attractions for the same reasons - you don't pay taxes here so you supplement with an extra fee.

Yeap to me the income tax thing should be the measure of whether you get the discount or not as a farang...but of course we get people howling...but many Thai's dont pay tax....rolleyes.gif

show a work permit or tax card..get the "thai price" if you cant.... pay the "tourist price" simple...

so you think staff overheads are the only direct cost to running a business ? and this detemrines the price of the product your selling ?....

the purpose of running a business is to generate profit so you price things to cover your overhead costs + your profit...if someone is charging THB 150 and they are doing business then the cost is not too high...the measure of whether is price is too high would be measured by the amount of business they are doing...if too high then no business..then the overhead for the staff is irrelevant as they wouldnt have jobs as the business goes bust...rolleyes.gif

People are running business' not charities and if you go to a place and believe is too high...you do have choice...dont buy the product or service no one is holding a gun to your head...

please spare us the oppressed workers of the world speech...rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

And that is where the issue is for me. If the theme parks etc in Thailand give discounts to the locals then that would be ok. But they give them to ALL Thais.

I don't see your problem. They give discount to all foreigners who are resident here too.

There's a hell of a lot more people in the USA than Thailand too.

Whilst farang are often charged more than Thais, there are many things that work in our favour. I am let off by traffic police all the time, for example. I can get discount that Thais wouldn't have the nerve to ask for, and better service in shops. Bank workers go out of their way to help me. I don't lose face very easily, which enables me to get away with a lot more than my Thai brothers and sisters.

People remember me which is an advantage. Thai people are not all after money(anymore than foreigners) and the longer I live out of Bangkok/tourist areas, I realize this.

I hate to hear the farang saying, "they can't do this to me, do you know what would happen in United Farangland if they did this?". Quite simply, I have started a new life in a country, which will never accept me as one of them, even if I pass a degree in Thai, become a monk, or have Toxin's daughter as a "mia noi".

I have to chill out and adjust certain ideas and attitudes. I must remember that this is not my home country, and therefore has different ways of doing things. Christ, that is one of the reasons I love it here. I used to want them to keep doing the things I liked and stop doing the things I didn't like. What a shitty attitude!

Realize what I can change and what I can't. Don't let the things that you can't get on top of you, they're not worth it. Once you have done this, weigh up the pros and cons of living in a new land and decide if it is for me or not. I have not been sentenced to live in Thailand, it is my choice.

Some things like double pricing are the Thai way an I sometimes think I should simply respect their decision - when I do this I usually see that they have a valid reason for doing something that thought 'racist' or unfair.

It's my fear of being take advantage of that I have to address. "can't have them Thais getting the better of ME, the almighty farang!

I know that if I want to become a Thai citizen I can,a lot easier than a Thai getting Citizenship in my country.

• Like 2

so you think staff overheads are the only direct cost to running a business ? and this detemrines the price of the product your selling ?....

the purpose of running a business is to generate profit so you price things to cover your overhead costs + your profit...if someone is charging THB 150 and they are doing business then the cost is not too high...the measure of whether is price is too high would be measured by the amount of business they are doing...if too high then no business..then the overhead for the staff is irrelevant as they wouldnt have jobs as the business goes bust...rolleyes.gif

People are running business' not charities and if you go to a place and believe is too high...you do have choice...dont buy the product or service no one is holding a gun to your head...

please spare us the oppressed workers of the world speech...rolleyes.gif

I'm not talking about oppressed workers, I'm sure they get the normal Thai wage. That has nothing to do with me.

I'm sure you will know that what is needed for a golf course, anywhere in the world, is pretty much exactly the same. They all need certain things for the upkeep of the course and the club house. Nothing is different.

The only thing different is that it costs less, comparitively to run than it does in western countries where the costs of EVERYTHING is higher.

So I have no issue with the staff being paid what they get paid. The issue I have is that the owners of the courses are just taking the piss by charging the same as what it costs in western countries when the overheads are definitely not the same.

And by the way, some golf courses do not try to run at a profit, they do it for their members and try to balance the books very closely to a non profit or very little. Most of the money goes back into improving or maintaining the course.

Resort courses are a different species as they are usually owned by large companies. Not many actually make a profit. Most I know on the Gold Coast run at a loss but the companies do like to have them for their high flying clients and to hold tournaments for name branding. It is loss to have the course but it has side benefits for the name branding.

Feel free to have some beers for 150bt if you are so inclined. But when you pass me sitting on my stool at a more reasonably priced place don't look down upon my poor soul.

I don't mind paying 150 baht for a beer, depending on the environment, the service, the entertainment, the clientele.

Maybe I don't get as much joy out of my money as other people, but I really don't mind spending it, when the need arises, and I'm not so greedy that I have to get the absolute maximum volume out of every little copper sou.

SC

I don't mind paying 150 baht for a beer, depending on the environment, the service, the entertainment, the clientele.

Maybe I don't get as much joy out of my money as other people, but I really don't mind spending it, when the need arises, and I'm not so greedy that I have to get the absolute maximum volume out of every little copper sou.

SC

Oh I agree, I've certainly been spending up when it is worth the money. Small amounts don't bother me too much but out and out price gouging doesn't sit well with me.

I don't know what the big deal is. I'm American and we have a lot of spectacular national parks. A lot. Click the link.

They lose money and as a taxpayer I have helped to pay for them all of my life. What's wrong with the fact that I can buy a lifetime pass for any and all of them for $10, but a tourist will pay that to see each one of them? Isn't $10 still a bargain to use the roads and restrooms and picnic facilities and enjoy the scenery for a day? They are clean and neat with clean restrooms and no litter and good roads...

Why would someone, who never contributed a dime to maintain the park facilities at the Grand Canyon or Yosemite National Park or Crater Lake mind paying $10 per person or $20 per carload of people to go in and enjoy one of them for the day, as the nation takes a loss on that?

If I come to your country to enjoy the best of it, I won't mind paying my way.

• Like 2

You have to look at it from another perspective unless you want your kids to think dad is a stingy old git. smile.png

Accept farang pay the going rate, Thais (who earn substantially less) get a discount.

Am I the only person on here that knows Thais who aren't poor?

I'm on a good salary (several times the UK average), yet a majority of the Thai parents at the school I sent my kids to made me look like a pauper.

I'm sure you will know that what is needed for a golf course, anywhere in the world, is pretty much exactly the same. They all need certain things for the upkeep of the course and the club house. Nothing is different.

The only thing different is that it costs less, comparitively to run than it does in western countries where the costs of EVERYTHING is higher.

So I have no issue with the staff being paid what they get paid. The issue I have is that the owners of the courses are just taking the piss by charging the same as what it costs in western countries when the overheads are definitely not the same.

-

You missed the point completely about how business works under capitalism.

Businesses are in business to maximize their profit, and will charge whatever they like, regardless of their cost structures. The only reason they would ever charge a lower price is to attract more customers, get a higher volume and hence more profits, never to be "nice" or "fair" or anything like that, that would be idiotic except as a PR strategy for a while, loss leader and make the profits on drinks or something. Fundamentally UP TO THEM and as the customer in a competitive market if you don't like it you take your business elsewhere.

Same with education in Thailand, if you want to go to one of the <12 good international schools in Thailand you have to pay at least $20,000 per year per student. This is true even at the one non-profit that I know of. The cheaper schools are all relatively bad, even if they're still expensive much worse than a government school back home.

So you have three choices - pay the incredibly extortionate tuition, take your kids home, or let their education suffer.

Coming here and whingeing about it does nothing but bore us and make you look silly.

And by the way, some golf courses do not try to run at a profit, they do it for their members and try to balance the books very closely to a non profit or very little. Most of the money goes back into improving or maintaining the course.

-

Not in Thailand, they are 99% all for-profit privately run unless you qualify for the Navy Officer's course or something.

That's why golf is unrealistically cheap in Australia, compare to Europe or the States or Japan and both here and Oz are total bargains.

If you enjoy golf, you should forget your "principles" and get out there and play as much as you can. Life's a bitch and then you die, way too soon, enjoy it while you can.

Am I the only person on here that knows Thais who aren't poor?

I'm on a good salary (several times the UK average), yet a majority of the Thai parents at the school I sent my kids to made me look like a pauper.

-

You are a pauper. They are in the top 1% of the country, if the tuition is less than THB half a million, maybe 3%.

And what about it? Sure would be nice if means-testing were practical, it's a rough tool to just have non-residents pay more, but it isn't "unfair".

Edited by PalMan