Farang Prices In Thailand

SiggiCM

But it's good to point it out to those who seem to believe it's a uniquely Thai practice.

It might feel good to point elsewhere, but the argument you are making is "if it happens elsewhere then it should be accepable here"

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to Hawaii and check the price difference between a local with a Hawaii ID and a non local. Locals pay 1/3 or less for a round of golf on many if not most golf courses. Locals pay less in many if not most hotels, get "kamaiana /local discounts" on car rentals, tourist attractions etc. It is very very common and has been going on for decades. Many tourists do complain but nothing changes.

I have played golf on maui where as a local I paid $35 ...was matched up with some Japanese tourists who were charged $150...same carts, same course. I didn't tell them how much I paid as golf can be tough enough already.

Ironically I am now on the mainland usa and went for a doctors appointment here and have full health insurance only to be told that they would not accept me because I was not a resident of this state and had only a Hawaii driver's license.

Bottom line is that Thailand is certainly not the only place to offer discounts for locals or discrimination for non locals.....It does seem that most of the Thailand attractions do give you the "local price" IF you have a Thai drivers license?

I suspect that many many places around the world have their own version of local discounts. Everybody likes a discount as long as they are on the receiving end but not so much when somebody else gets a discount and they don't.

First off; Hawaii is called the 30% state. Salaries are 30% less and the cost of living 30% higher than mainland. This is a big reason for the so called local price as to appease and patronize locals, even though it may not actually represent a true discount.

Secondly, Hawaii is rife with cronyism and nepotism and a similar way of thinking with Thailand. Hawaii, like Thailand have something else in common, a poor education. There is lots of social dysfunction, domestic violence, as well as lack of logic and reason amont much of the polulation. Hawaii also has quite a bit of corruption and local mafia or mafia like structure. What has broken much of the dual pricing or simply unfairly universal high pricing is the superstores like costco and sams club.

That's a shame that the fella's kids are missing out because of his principles.

SC

What's your point SC - leave your kids with memories of visiting second rate tourist attractions at the expense of not leaving them with a memory of their father's principles?!

As others have pointed out, market segmentation is widely practised around the world; sometimes coarsely, sometimes not.

Personally, if an attraction is good value, I'll pay, if it's not, I won't. That's based on my perception of the value of my money, and what other people pay, or their perception of the value of their money versus the value of the attraction, is irrelevant to me.

SC

From what I have heard, if you show a Thai drivers license, or proof that you live in Thailand, they are obligated to offer you the Thai price. It does work sometimes, unless you are dealing with a exceptionally stubborn, or ignorant individual. Have you ever run into one of those?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I won't go either, but I don't think that it violates the law in Thailand. The Thai government does it too. As to why expats put up with it, they don't have much choice other than to avoid places that charge more for foreigners.

Those of us that live here do not have to pay the tourist prices for zoos, theme parks and national parks or many more privetly owned attractions. All you need at the ticket desk is your 5 year driving license or your Tambien Baan. If they give you the Thai price it will be allowed for your children too.

Most of these establishments they still believe that in "Falang-ville" money grows on trees. To reduce an expression "learn to accept those things you cannot change". If you're offended don't go.

I won't go either, but I don't think that it violates the law in Thailand. The Thai government does it too. As to why expats put up with it, they don't have much choice other than to avoid places that charge more for foreigners.

Those of us that live here do not have to pay the tourist prices for zoos, theme parks and national parks or many more privetly owned attractions. All you need at the ticket desk is your 5 year driving license or your Tambien Baan. If they give you the Thai price it will be allowed for your children too.

The yellow Tambian Baan is not necessarily that easy to get depending on where you live.

If you live in a district where there are a lot of foreigners who need the book and they are used to the procedures necessary, then it's fairly easy to get.

If you live in an out of the way spot, are the only Farang for miles then forget it!

How do I know this I hear you say......

There are forums on TV about the problems of getting the yellow book!

It is a right that you should have it but you are a Farang=have no rights are just the walking ATM to be used as necessary.

It's all part and parcel of the general Thai thinking - short term rewards only.

Tomorrow is another problem and we must not waste time today planning for it,

there will be other tourists say from Russia or China.......

Anyway, we went to the Wat today for Lucky lucky and the Monk said everything OK so subai, subai.

In order to enjoy life in Thailand, the foreigner must first disconnect that part of his existence that has morals, he shall learn to look the other way, he shall learn to feel "up to you", he shall learn not to bother or be bothered by almost anything, he must accept that he is a commodity.

I think it's a shame really, no personal growth in a situation like this and the strangest thing is that this is a Buddhist country.

Thailand is a poorer country than most farang countries- makes 100% sense that they would try to charge extra for tourists. Getting boycotted by a handful of stingy/miserly farang tourists is going to have zero impact.

It's not a matter of being stingy/miserly....it is about discrimination. A high proportion of Thai people who visit national Parks and other Tourist destinations are quite well off (Judging by the Mercs BMW's etc that they arrive in ) Are you saying that these people should pay less than elderly tourists that have saved to take a holiday here or a family with Kids.??

That's a shame that the fella's kids are missing out because of his principles.

SC

What's your point SC - leave your kids with memories of visiting second rate tourist attractions at the expense of not leaving them with a memory of their father's principles?!

As others have pointed out, market segmentation is widely practised around the world; sometimes coarsely, sometimes not.

Personally, if an attraction is good value, I'll pay, if it's not, I won't. That's based on my perception of the value of my money, and what other people pay, or their perception of the value of their money versus the value of the attraction, is irrelevant to me.

SC

I did not respond to market segmentation - I responded to your comment regarding ' father's principles' - wriggle away.

Thailand is a poorer country than most farang countries- makes 100% sense that they would try to charge extra for tourists. Getting boycotted by a handful of stingy/miserly farang tourists is going to have zero impact.

It's not a matter of being stingy/miserly....it is about discrimination. A high proportion of Thai people who visit national Parks and other Tourist destinations are quite well off (Judging by the Mercs BMW's etc that they arrive in ) Are you saying that these people should pay less than elderly tourists that have saved to take a holiday here or a family with Kids.??

basing it on nationality and residency, and not economic advantage is a blunt instrument to be sure, but until Thailand has a more complex (and expensive to run) system of social security based on pensioners, concession card holders and benefits recipients etc etc etc, then that is all you can work with is basically what Thailand has got.

• Like 1

I truely believe that most of the 'touristy attractions' aka national parks/ theme parks etc. are a waste of time, precisely because of the dual pricing.

Not sure if this is still valid, but I remember taking my grandmother to the Grand Palace, and showing a copy of my Work Permit, enabled me to get the Thai pricing for all of us (Dad/myself & grandmother).

-

It's OK for the Thais. And for government attractions OK in principle based on the fact that their taxes built it.

But to me the fundamental principle here is that Thais don't think there's anything wrong with discrimination, the constitution may give the idea lip service for international acceptance but in practice rampant racism is socially acceptable here.

It's their country they can do what they like. And for crying out loud if the price difference really makes such a big difference to your life, then you really can't afford to live/travel overseas can you?

And if you're arguing from "principle", for white relatively wealthy people to complain about racial discrimination especially about a such picayune instance to me is just laughable.

And even if you're being *seriously* discriminated against (employment, housing, insulted in public) because you're dark-skinned or a despised nationality or religion, I may sympathize more, but my recommendation for your greater happiness will still be to head on back home where you're treated better, rather than a visitor wasting their time and energy taking up the cause of racial equality in Thailand.

• Like 1

PalMan, please feel free to bend over and take it if wish.

But please do not presume to dictate to others that they should do likewise or leave.

As for 'Paid for by their taxes'

There are a number of historical sites around Thailand happily dual pricing foreigners while conveniently forgetting the foreign aid which was use to restor/protect the site in the first place.

• Like 2

please do not presume to dictate to others that they should do likewise or leave.

-

no dictating here, just suggesting they

A spend their time and energy on more important issues

or

B if they really want to try to effect change find a different - and more effective - platform for gathering support for the campaign

I'm also pretty sure that the decision-making foreigners paying for the site restorations aren't bothered by the double pricing, or perhaps there would have started to be such restrictions put in place over the decades. . .

Posted ImageImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368993198.227519.jpg

This one wasn't much really but I've had the double pricing a few times too. I don't agree on it out of principle. Imagine if we charged tourists here an extra £10 to see local attractions? Don't know how they get away with it the.

As many of us have pointed out, the same things happen in our home countries. When I lived in Lake Tahoe I could ski for $10 dollars a day, visitors paid $60! When I lived in Florida I could get into Disney World for $20 less then non-residents. As I said in earlier in this thread, it's illegal to discriminate against race, creed or religion. But not residency, which is exactly that they are doing in Thailand, evidenced by multiple people saying they get the Thai price simply by showing their Thai ID...

I'm not aware iv anything like this happening in the uk. Maybe you Americans are as bad as the Thais.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368993198.227519.jpg

This one wasn't much really but I've had the double pricing a few times too. I don't agree on it out of principle. Imagine if we charged tourists here an extra £10 to see local attractions? Don't know how they get away with it the.

As many of us have pointed out, the same things happen in our home countries. When I lived in Lake Tahoe I could ski for $10 dollars a day, visitors paid $60! When I lived in Florida I could get into Disney World for $20 less then non-residents. As I said in earlier in this thread, it's illegal to discriminate against race, creed or religion. But not residency, which is exactly that they are doing in Thailand, evidenced by multiple people saying they get the Thai price simply by showing their Thai ID...
I'm not aware iv anything like this happening in the uk. Maybe you Americans are as bad as the Thais.
-

maybe google first?

http://www.blackpoolzoo.org.uk/blog/index.php/2013/03/march-madness-at-blackpool-zoo/

http://www.kidsdaysout.co.uk/kids-days-out-england/sussex/item/preston-manor.html?category_id=44

http://www.brighton-hove-rpml.org.uk/royalpavilion/pages/admissioncharges.aspx

http://www.kidzworldcornwall.co.uk/your-visit/opening-times-prices.html

http://www.discountvouchers.co.uk/v79746.html

Posted ImageImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368993198.227519.jpg

Correction; you might get the thai price if u show id

Have seen many refused, usually at nat parks

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But it's good to point it out to those who seem to believe it's a uniquely Thai practice.

It might feel good to point elsewhere, but the argument you are making is "if it happens elsewhere then it should be accepable here"

No, his point is that it's not a uniquely Thai thing and its existence here and elsewhere has nothing to do with discrimination or any other ridiculous claims relating to racism.

• Like 1

If we pay what the Thai's pay the places will go bust.

If the Thai's pay what we pay the Thai's will not be able to afford to go.

I don't want to see the place go, I don't want to see thai people spend a year saving just for a trip to the zoo so I happily except it.

Wow, you seem to have it all sorted

So the thais pulling up in Mercedes, Alfa Romeos, Porsches, Maseratis, Range Rovers, even the (not so odd) Ferrari or Lamborghinis, if they were forced to pay full price they couldn't afford to go? Then please explain to me how they paid for these cars, I really would love to know.

Truth is, the poor Thais you are talking about just don't go to tourist places, don't go to museums, national parks etc. It is the middle and upper classes and YES they can afford to pay.

Never heard such garbage in all my life, I ride a 30k motorbike and I am constantly surrounded by the cars I mentioned above. You want to help the poor, tell Somchai in his Bentley to make a donation, or what, Thais don't love Thais?

• Like 2

If we pay what the Thai's pay the places will go bust.

If the Thai's pay what we pay the Thai's will not be able to afford to go.

I don't want to see the place go, I don't want to see thai people spend a year saving just for a trip to the zoo so I happily except it.

Wow, you seem to have it all sorted

So the thais pulling up in Mercedes, Alfa Romeos, Porsches, Maseratis, Range Rovers, even the (not so odd) Ferrari or Lamborghinis, if they were forced to pay full price they couldn't afford to go? Then please explain to me how they paid for these cars, I really would love to know.

Truth is, the poor Thais you are talking about just don't go to tourist places, don't go to museums, national parks etc. It is the middle and upper classes and YES they can afford to pay.

Never heard such garbage in all my life, I ride a 30k motorbike and I am constantly surrounded by the cars I mentioned above. You want to help the poor, tell Somchai in his Bentley to make a donation, or what, Thais don't love Thais?

I think you are seeing debt driving round.

Thai's love Thai's, they love themselves and they have Face.

How can they not have the biggest and the best, other people would think that they were poor if they didn't, so they borrow all they can get their hands on!

Everything is done for lucky and show!

My scooter cost 5K second hand, is a bit bent and old. It has the advantage that no Thai would ever stoop so low as to steal it! (and no, I don't live in a cardboard box - a cardboard box, we used to dream of a cardboard box. Pass the Chateau de Chaterlie)

On the occasions that we have visited Nat Parks etc, I seldom saw top of the range vehicles there. It was the middle classes, in trucks on a family outing, dozens of them, as indeed so were we.

It is true that in general, foreigners have more money than locals, but then some of us give it away in support of our extended families.

With our support these folk thrive, so I resent it when some posters think that we don't do anything to support the country. Maybe they are talking about themselves.

Even the ole sexpats do their bit by spending, spending, spending.

However, if you have house guests, friends or rellies who are hard pressed for cash, you may well treat them and pick up the bill. So, on reflection, I don't mind a subsidy for the poor, but it would be better if it were means tested, but again, as has already been said, Thailand ain't geared up for that just now.

Years ago in the UK, an unemployed person could show his UB40 and get into the local swimming baths for free. I had no problem with that, but that's not what they are doing here.

It's a surcharge.

What a load of crap!The majority of Thais are poor because their own people want them that way. Thais pay the same price as a farang in the UK, and the west. It's because idiots will pay the inflated prices they try and rip us off. If everyone refused to be extorted things might just equalise a little. Good on the guy for refusing to be ripped off.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368993198.227519.jpg

-

maybe google first?

http://www.blackpoolzoo.org.uk/blog/index.php/2013/03/march-madness-at-blackpool-zoo/

http://www.kidsdaysout.co.uk/kids-days-out-england/sussex/item/preston-manor.html?category_id=44

http://www.brighton-hove-rpml.org.uk/royalpavilion/pages/admissioncharges.aspx

http://www.kidzworldcornwall.co.uk/your-visit/opening-times-prices.html

http://www.discountvouchers.co.uk/v79746.html

frankly I think you would be hard pressed to find a country that does NOT have some level of dual pricing or senior/student discounts....of course it is so much easier to whine and moan and point fingers at the Thais as if they are the only country on earth that has pricing discrimination at some events/attractions........everybody loves a discount as long as they are on the receiving end ...not so much when they are paying more than someone else.....how many guys complain about ladies nights where the gals get in free or get free drinks BECAUSE they are gals?

• Like 1

How many guys complain about ladies nights where the gals get in free or get free drinks BECAUSE they are gals?

-

Well since the whole point of such promotions is to get more guys in because of the fact that the girls are there, not many.

I do agree that means-testing would be the best way to go, I've done that with my English tutoring services, students whose families don't own a car get a much cheaper rate.

And of course Thais wouldn't lie about that and lose face tongue.png

frankly I think you would be hard pressed to find a country that does NOT have some level of dual pricing or senior/student discounts....of course it is so much easier to whine and moan and point fingers at the Thais as if they are the only country on earth that has pricing discrimination at some events/attractions........everybody loves a discount as long as they are on the receiving end ...not so much when they are paying more than someone else.....how many guys complain about ladies nights where the gals get in free or get free drinks BECAUSE they are gals?

Strewth, the things I learn here LOL

A ladies' night is a promotional event, often at a bar or nightclub, where female patrons pay less than male patrons for the cover charge or drinks. State courts in California, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin have ruled that ladies' night discounts are unlawful gender discrimination under state or local statutes. However, courts in Illinois, Minnesota, and Washington have rejected a variety of challenges to such discounts.

I suppose I should go out more often to places other than the Wat.....

Edited by laislica

But student and pensioner discounts are not based on race. Also, in other countries the discounts given at theme parks are predominantly only to those living in that state, ie: locals. It isn't a blanket discount to people of that country as it is in Thailand.

Ladies nights are now banned in oz too, not positive but pretty sure. I also think 'happy hours' are banned as they encourage binge drinking. But that is another topic.

For the record, I don't have a problem with double pricing, so long as it is on a local residents / out of state or country basis. For the most part in Thailand it effectively works that way but the times it doesn't makes this issue get up everyone's nose.

Having said that, I don't see too many here protesting against the visa fee's Thai's must pay to visit the west, where most foreign nationalities get to turn up for nothing. Nor do I see the whine about the fee's international students must pay when they study in the west, well above and beyond what locals pay.

So long as economics exists, sellers will always want to charge more to the people who can afford these things. It is a basic concept in economics, one which is taught in first year economics. So long as it isn't based on race or creed, I've got no problem with it.

I get a bit annoyed when people use the visa fees as an example of "double pricing" as well as school costs. So I just want to say that I think the visa costs are totally understandable, to countries such as mine, the US, for Thais and others in like countries. A Thai person is paying for the cost (and probably not the real cost), of checking out their application in great detail. And their applications surely require quite a lot of expertise and follow-up and really checking what they say, because some huge percentage of info that they present is a fabrication. And as well, some percentage, just don't qualify, even if 100% of what they present, is true.

I also get annoyed that Thai people are angry that they have to pay, even when they get turned down. It costs money to check them out, and if they lie and get caught, they are angry they have to pay anyway. Imagine what would happen if Thais could apply for free in the case they got turned down? It would be like a free lottery, with people just going crazy and trying it out, for the hell of it.

Re foreign tuition prices, I think all countries have this. We have this in the US, because all schools are supported to some extent by taxes, even private schools, (maybe just in the form of tax breaks they get as non-profits) and they are often supported to some extent by donations/religious affilations which pay no taxes, etc. I think foreign students are just charged whatever the schools decide is the real cost of the education without this other type of support. Why would a state have any interest in educating foreigners, especially since most of them will not stay to enrich the country with their education, with their taxes later in life, etc,? (Okay, but I do know that many students would happily stay in the US and do that, if they were allowed to, but still, why would we want to do that, over educating one of our own citizens?) I think the definite "for profit" schools, like Univeristy of Phoenix, which aren't really 100% real schools, probably charge the same for foreign students ...but I haven't checked that, just a guess.

And in fact, in the US, any person can go to school for 100% free, up until high school graduation. Even if you are an illegal foreigner. So that is quite a nice benefit we provide. Thailand definitely has a different price for education for foreigners too.

As far as some other posters who are discussing discounts for locals, for things like skiing ...there is a good reason for this ..in my opinion. "Locals" tend to go to various theme parks and things like ski resorts, during low periods. I used to live in one of the best ski resort areas in the US. We don't usually go skiing on Thanksgiving weekend for example, or over Xmas. They also usually have blackout periods/times/dates for local discounts. But we tend to go skiiing, on a Thursday, when there was just a good snow, and we can skip school, or call in sick for work, or we don't happen to work then. Locals don't want to go when there are long lines for rides/lifts. We also support and pay the same price, once inside, for food, drinks, t-shirt, toys, whatever. And we give the benefit of supporting a business many, many times. Most people might visit a Disneyland/Disneyworld, once in their life, or 2-3 times max, if they have to fly, stay in a hotel, etc. As a CA resident for much of my life, I must have visited Disneyland maybe 40 times so far. So I think of this as a sort of "quantity discount" as for most locals, this type of numerous visits, is pretty standard. Now that I have a child, if I lived there now, I would certainly go at least once a year, for the first 15-20 years of my child's life. And then more again when they have kids! Or for example, Disneyland has special passes for summer for kids. You can go an unlimited amount of times for some set price.

I also don't mind when things like national parks charge extra for foreigners in Thailand. And I am not sure about some of the private businesses, like theme parks or zoos. Are those totally private, I am not sure? But I do feel bad about the amounts sometimes charged, the HUGE difference, and the fact that many businesses, do seem to be looking up the price for Disneyland or the San Diego Zoo, and charging MORE than places like that, for what is surely a 500% less experience, less cost to provide, etc. Even if Chiang Mai Zoo was comparable to world famous zoos, like San Diego or Singapore, is it really as expensive to provide that zoo here in CM? I seriously doubt it! But no attraction in Thailand is up to those kind of standards so hard to compare. (Oh, and I have to say this, that re the "farang price" the fact that most of that, is usually kicked back to a tuk-tuk driver, or tour guide, is total bullshit, and points in the direction that this money isn't needed by the place you are visiting ...that was probably the first thing I learned about Thailand that made me angry about this practice.)

And as far as tourists go ...well most of us "farang tourists" have to spend at least 1000 USD up to $2000 USD (from the US) per person, to get to beautiful Thailand, where we are now allowed to "save money" on the lower cost of living/visiting here. Thai people seem to be pissed off that we have "more" money, and I have even had people say things to me, like "you get 40 baht for 1 dollar" as if they really THINK that $1 and 1 baht were at some point, equal, and they are getting ripped off from the exchange rate...so we really should be paying 40 times more for what we get! They seem to think that a hotdog costs $40 in the US, vs $1 or 40 baht ...I am going back some years obviously.