Farang Prices In Thailand

SiggiCM

I went there with a friend (farang) who's an expat. I had a tourist visa and paid farang price. He had a retirement visa, flashed proof of residency and paid resident (Thai) price.

Has anyone else tried this with success or failure?

i just show my driver's license and most places i get in as a Thai resident

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or we realize that even at 2400 baht it's a fraction of what a similar outing would cost at home, so we go anyway smile.png

Simalarly, my family has a car dealership in US. Cars are significantly cheaper there than Thailand so I always tell my uncle that Thai people should pay 1/2 to double more than americans pay.

A new nissan costs 20,000 dollars, Thais should pay 30. They are still getting a deal, in Thailand they would pay 35-40.

According to your post you surely agree, right?

Not the same, but sure if your family thinks they can charge more go for it. Of course it will probably be illegal to charge based on race in the US, so they will have to set the sticker price higher for everyone. You might get away with charging more for for people who are not local residents without considering race, at least that works for tourist attractions in many states....oh wait that is exactly what we are talking about...it's legal and widely practiced in the US smile.png

Err, seems to me your point is that the money is "nothing" to a westerner so one shouldn't complain

I can't begin to tell you how wrong that is

I went there with a friend (farang) who's an expat. I had a tourist visa and paid farang price. He had a retirement visa, flashed proof of residency and paid resident (Thai) price.

I normally show my Thai drivers license, 9 out of 10 times i get the Thai price.

OP, if you have been living here you rmust have realized that the "laws" are enforced only when it is beneficial to the police or someone that has power. Sit anywhere in public and look around. At any given time you will see people breaking the law left and right directly in front of police, nobody seems to care.

This flashes up almost every week here... but it is so simple:

As a foreigner, you have no chance to change that policy, independent of whether it is legal or not. As a foreigner, you have two options, either accept and enter or decline and leave.

Yes, some places will give you the Thai price when you show either retirement Visa / Thai Driver licence or any other document to prove that you live in Thailand. I did however notice that if I go with GF and kids, she gets the tickets, tells the guy "he is my husband" and most of the time I get in on the Thai price as well

Not really worth the 10th or 20th thread about dual pricing policy...

Agreed, I always tell foreigners in my country that they should never complain about things they don't like because it won't change.

They are aliens and should just shut up and accept it. This goes for alien foreigners outside the country as well, as I often hear people complaining about US policies.

If you don't like what the US does and you are an alien, you need to just keep your mouth shut. Not really worth the 10th or 20th complaint.

Glad we see eye to eyewink.png

If it is the 10th or 20th thread you have seen why did you click on it and participate in dialogue? I think people have a very good point about overcharging foreigners, it is important for Thailand's future as the second fastest growing country in Asia to be seen as a safe, fair and honest country. There are always people who simply say "if you don't like it go home". This is nonsense, these points are valid and everyone who comes here on holiday will tell people about their experience on their return home,,, the more the reports people get about institutional dual pricing, being ripped off and other things (which i wont mention here) the worse Thailand's reputation gets and the less tourists will eventually come. This then becomes a big problem for Thailand. Why can't you see that? I am getting bored of reading "TIT". The best thing for people to do is share their experience and warn others, then people will avoid going there and eventually the charging policy has to be reviewed,, so keep posting is what I say.

• Like 2

Waaaaaahhhhh! For the love of Buddha! We're talking about 2,400THB cost for your kids and some fun while they're here! Try taking them to a professional sporting event in US, UK or AU. Count on 4X that amount.

Be sure to impress them with some color commentary on why you feel it's a ripoff and/or too much to spend. bah.gif

• Like 1

Years ago at CNX Zoo we found the same attempted rip-off but my wife insisted that I was living and working here and that if they didn't let me in at the "local price" they could refund what we'd just paid for her and our daughter. The attendant then asked me to give my address in Thai Language, which I couldn't but decided not to push her luck with my wife (who should be in Parliament) anyway I got in at the "Thai Price". You might also try flashing your Thai MDL if you have one...this may help.

As a foreigner, you have no chance to change that policy, independent of whether it is legal or not. As a foreigner, you have two options, either accept and enter or decline and leave.

Yes, some places will give you the Thai price when you show either retirement Visa / Thai Driver licence or any other document to prove that you live in Thailand. I did however notice that if I go with GF and kids, she gets the tickets, tells the guy "he is my husband" and most of the time I get in on the Thai price as well

Agreed, I always tell foreigners in my country that they should never complain about things they don't like because it won't change.

They are aliens and should just shut up and accept it. This goes for alien foreigners outside the country as well, as I often hear people complaining about US policies.

If you don't like what the US does and you are an alien, you need to just keep your mouth shut. Not really worth the 10th or 20th complaint.

If it is the 10th or 20th thread you have seen why did you click on it and participate in dialogue? I think people have a very good point about overcharging foreigners, it is important for Thailand's future as the second fastest growing country in Asia to be seen as a safe, fair and honest country. There are always people who simply say "if you don't like it go home". This is nonsense, these points are valid and everyone who comes here on holiday will tell people about their experience on their return home,,, the more the reports people get about institutional dual pricing, being ripped off and other things (which i wont mention here) the worse Thailand's reputation gets and the less tourists will eventually come. This then becomes a big problem for Thailand. Why can't you see that? I am getting bored of reading "TIT". The best thing for people to do is share their experience and warn others, then people will avoid going there and eventually the charging policy has to be reviewed,, so keep posting is what I say.

-

I disagree with you in so many ways.

Dual pricing is fine, I think it's a good policy and one they should keep, showing documentation you're living and working here usually gets you the Thai price but even if not, I think foreigners should subsidize locals as much as possible.

Also fewer tourists coming to Thailand would be a good thing for those of us foreigners living here, and IMO for the kingdom.

And finally venting your feelings here on TV certainly doesn't do anything to accomplish your objective of ending this heinous racist practice and comes up so often it drives forum regulars nuts, right up there with discussions of "is 'farang' derogatory?"

• Like 1

The problem is we come from countries where charging foreigners more for things would be seen as discrimination and get you thrown in jail.

Locals getting a discount is one thing, but if that's the case it's usually either some place that's government funded (Italy - so it's a discount for taxpayers), or it's not for the whole country (Disneyworld giving a discount to Florida residents - i.e. currently $119 instead of $242 for a 3 day pass).

But even then there's not the same price differential. i.e. There's nowhere in the west where a local can get a 3 month pass for the cost of a visitor getting a one-day entry (Siam Park city).

It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Do I think it hurts them. In the long run - yes. I have lived for 12 years near Safari World, but I avoid the place unless my wife is driving, as she can get me in at the Thai price, but even with my Thai driving licence, they always want the farang price from me. I have 3 kids who quite like feeding the giraffes and if they didn't charge a ridiculous price, we'd have gone at least once every couple of months. As it is, other than trips with the school, I think they've been once in the last 5 years - and this is a place we can get to from home in literally 5 minutes....

• Like 1

I can't seem to find the thread where all the expats crying about paying 3x Thai price are arguing to have their pensions and/or pay lowered to Thai level. Gee zuz! Small price to pay. I know it does promote price gouging from the top on down, but any of you been back to home country recently? There everyone pays too much!

You have the pricing all wrong.

The rate is 2400 baht, locals get a discount. A lot of places in the west do the same thing for their locals, too.

It's how it's stated that what's wrong.

Go and enjoy the park, the kids won't care about the cost, but they'll sure love the animals.

• Like 1

Thailand is a poorer country than most farang countries- makes 100% sense that they would try to charge extra for tourists. Getting boycotted by a handful of stingy/miserly farang tourists is going to have zero impact.

Rubbish, the #1 reason tourists come to Thailand is BECAUSE it is cheap - if it were as much as western countries then they would not get anywhere near as many tourists.

Just look what happend to Euopean and USA/Canadian tourism numebrs since their currencies plummeted. Likewsie the # of Aussies to Thialand has skyrocketed since the A$ pas been high vs the Baht.

Trying to charge what people pay at home is abosurd.

Edited by fire and ice

It is illegal to charge locals (Thai & Expats) the tourist price. However, proof will be required and speaking Thai will help.

The prices are often listed as 'Farang' and 'Thai', but are intended to reflect 'tourist' and 'local'..

By now, you have guessed that most Thais don't understand and charge Asians one price and whites another price.

If you have a Thai DL, show t. If they continue to ask toruist price, ask to speak to the manager. That has always worked for me and I always pay 'Thai price' or I don't use the facility.

Thailand is a poorer country than most farang countries- makes 100% sense that they would try to charge extra for tourists. Getting boycotted by a handful of stingy/miserly farang tourists is going to have zero impact.

They are not charging extra for tourists - it is just that the locals get a discount.

Usually, you can get a similar discount with a Thai drivers license but not always.

dighambara, on 19 May 2013 - 21:33, said:

It is illegal to charge locals (Thai & Expats) the tourist price. However, proof will be required and speaking Thai will help.

The prices are often listed as 'Farang' and 'Thai', but are intended to reflect 'tourist' and 'local'..

By now, you have guessed that most Thais don't understand and charge Asians one price and whites another price.

If you have a Thai DL, show t. If they continue to ask toruist price, ask to speak to the manager. That has always worked for me and I always pay 'Thai price' or I don't use the facility.

I trust you're saying that in well-pronounced Thai. Otherwise you deserve to be laughed out of there.

Thing is if I were a tourist I could accept paying more at some of the attractions. Fact is I am a permanent resident and being asked to pay mores pisses me off.

I have a retirement visa and Thai DL. I refuse to pay more than Thais or the posted price. When I get the farang price thrown at me I just laugh, pay the Thai price and go.

Maybe my "one person" boycott isnt going to break their ripping people off, but theyre not going to charge me farang price and pocket the difference.

The gf always goes ahead and gets the Thai price and comes and gets me.

I've taught her to always negotiate where they have jacked up prices in tourist places. P

The barber sitting there with no customers. I asked for a haircut and he said 100 baht. The posted price was 50. I laughed and told him he makes no money, had he just gave me a hair cut for 50, I probably would have tipped him 30-50 baht. What an idiot.

Got the haircut for 40 near the gf village, gave the guy 50 baht tip and go there every month.

• Like 2

I have a retirement visa and Thai DL. I refuse to pay more than Thais or the posted price. When I get the farang price thrown at me I just laugh, pay the Thai price and go.

Maybe my "one person" boycott isnt going to break their ripping people off, but theyre not going to charge me farang price and pocket the difference.

The gf always goes ahead and gets the Thai price and comes and gets me.

I've taught her to always negotiate where they have jacked up prices in tourist places. P

The barber sitting there with no customers. I asked for a haircut and he said 100 baht. The posted price was 50. I laughed and told him he makes no money, had he just gave me a hair cut for 50, I probably would have tipped him 30-50 baht. What an idiot.

Got the haircut for 40 near the gf village, gave the guy 50 baht tip and go there every month.

Good for you but steady with the tipping.

When I first moved to Spain 13 years ago, I gave tips in bars and restaurants. A Spanish local told me to give only as much tip as locals do, otherwise, it is like telling the owner that he can charge more!

But the locals don't tip I said. Exactly he said!

My wife will sometimes give Nam Jai - generosity to someone who has helped her, but that is not the norm as far as I can see.

Thai's pay their bill and don't usually leave change and if they do it is only a small amount.

An American friend of mine told me that in his opinion, the Brits were screwing things up for everyone in Thailand.

They get a wife and buy a house for her, maybe even another for her parents.

Now, he said, they all expect that!

Yes all the time ( with success), i only show my Thai drivers license, no more

You really think boycotting by a few miserly farang does not have any impact?

Boycotting and publicity does work.

And it does not make sense to charge non-Asians extra.

It is a disgusting thing to do.

Just suppose in the west we would charge Thai people extra because they are Asian.

Can you imagine the noise that would generate?

It is high time that someone in the Thai government finds out that expat farangs spend quite a lot of money in Thailand.

While the farang tourist spend ten times more PER DAY as the, for example, Chinese tourists.

And they are charged Thai prices.

Farang miserly?

Don't think so.

The governor of a well known province in the Isan once hoped the number of farang expats would rise 100%

Better for the local economy, amongst others.

He saw the light!

It's probably off topic, but why would somebody want to visit a zoo when on holiday? It's not that much different from a zoo anywhere else in the world. There are so many more 'Thai' things to do.

Skip the zoo (watching animals that actually should have been walking in the wild, somewhere) and visit a national park instead. More exciting, in my opinion.

Really??so wealthy thais get cheap prices but a falang who doesnt want to pay double or triple (cheated)is miserly? Defines your thinking

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, it's getting off topic, but this is a somewhat wrong comparison. Some of the things, that the US does, have global impacts and then I feel, that as a non-US-citizen I have the right to complain about it.

But if you just refer to US national parks and their pricing policy, I agree.

Double pricing is just plain wrong in my opinion and cannot be justified no matter what some apologists may say on here. I am lucky working here gets me in at Thai prices, but have visited a few places with family here on holiday and walked away when faced with double pricing.

Having said all that it's not gonna change anytime soon so either pay it or go elsewhere.

It's not necessarily double pricing. It's dual pricing.

And calling people who disagree with Thai bashing "apologists" suggests that the bashers are automatically right and those who disagree with them must be making excuses for Thai faults, which is certainly an ego-centric world view.

In many countries, older people get special pricing on many services on the assumption that old people must be poor. Certainly many of them are better off than the younger people who must pay more. Children on public transport ride at reduced rates or even free although they still take up a seat and often are a pain-in-the-derriere to all the people who pay full fare. Are we all meant to subsidize holidays for people who don't practice birth control?

In many countries medical services, fees at schools & universities, admission to national parks, etc involve discriminatory pricing depending on nationality or residency.

Depending on whether you're getting the discount or not, most of these practices make sense or do not, and there will always be people who feel aggrieved at the lack of fairness in the big bad world. I imagine many Thais wonder why so many useless, perpetually inebriated farang seem to have an unending supply of money while doing nothing that serves the common good. I often think the same thing about people like Donald Trump, Prince Charles and Paris Hilton, but I've found whining about it incessantly isn't especially productive, and so I've learned to soldier on while feeling some satisfaction every time a certain person falls (or possible fell once too often) from his polo pony.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Double pricing is just plain wrong in my opinion and cannot be justified no matter what some apologists may say on here. I am lucky working here gets me in at Thai prices, but have visited a few places with family here on holiday and walked away when faced with double pricing.

Having said all that it's not gonna change anytime soon so either pay it or go elsewhere.

It's not necessarily double pricing. It's dual pricing.

And calling people who disagree with Thai bashing "apologists" suggests that the bashers are automatically right and those who disagree with them must be making excuses for Thai faults, which is certainly an ego-centric world view.

In many countries, older people get special pricing on many services on the assumption that old people must be poor. Certainly many of them are better off than the younger people who must pay more. Children on public transport ride at reduced rates or even free although they still take up a seat and often are a pain-in-the-derriere to all the people who pay full fare. Are we all meant to subsidize holidays for people who don't practice birth control?

In many countries medical services, fees at schools & universities, admission to national parks, etc involve discriminatory pricing depending on nationality or residency.

Depending on whether you're getting the discount or not, most of these practices make sense or do not, and there will always be people who feel aggrieved at the lack of fairness in the big bad world. I imagine many Thais wonder why so many useless, perpetually inebriated farang seem to have an unending supply of money while doing nothing that serves the common good. I often think the same thing about people like Donald Trump, Prince Charles and Paris Hilton, but I've found whining about it incessantly isn't especially productive, and so I've learned to soldier on while feeling some satisfaction every time a certain person falls (or possible fell once too often) from his polo pony.

Nicely put and I agree completely.

I thought that inbreeding was a cause to make someone unstable on a polo pony!