Farang Prices In Thailand

SiggiCM

I don't know what the big deal is. I'm American and we have a lot of spectacular national parks. A lot. Click the link.

They lose money and as a taxpayer I have helped to pay for them all of my life. What's wrong with the fact that I can buy a lifetime pass for any and all of them for $10, but a tourist will pay that to see each one of them? Isn't $10 still a bargain to use the roads and restrooms and picnic facilities and enjoy the scenery for a day? They are clean and neat with clean restrooms and no litter and good roads...

Why would someone, who never contributed a dime to maintain the park facilities at the Grand Canyon or Yosemite National Park or Crater Lake mind paying $10 per person or $20 per carload of people to go in and enjoy one of them for the day, as the nation takes a loss on that?

If I come to your country to enjoy the best of it, I won't mind paying my way.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Do some research on Thais and tax.....oh my, what an appropriate username for your post......

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to look at it from another perspective unless you want your kids to think dad is a stingy old git. smile.png

Accept farang pay the going rate, Thais (who earn substantially less) get a discount.

Am I the only person on here that knows Thais who aren't poor?

I'm on a good salary (several times the UK average), yet a majority of the Thai parents at the school I sent my kids to made me look like a pauper.

Maybe it's the way you dress that makes you look like a pauper.

SC

stop your complaining. If you want to go pay. If you don't want to go don't pay. Who said life is meant to be fair.

If you lived as a non white in the us 50 yrs ago you woyuld have been treated differently.

go figure, its not fun cos its you whos charged as opposed to what ever minority group you have your prejudices against

now shut up and get back to work

I remember about 30 years ago I was on vacation in Rome. I was outside the Forum or the Colosseum, I can't remember which, and there was a large signboard listing all the entry prices. There were about 3 dozen different entry prices based on what nationality the visitor was. I asked someone why the pricing was structured so and they told me the pricing was intended to reciprocate the prices Italians had to pay to see major historic attractions in other countries.

In the last ten years I've visited China many times and visas have cost me anywhere from about $70 to $150. People from first world countries aren't used to paying such extreme prices to visit other countries, but it was explained to me that China has a policy to reciprocate by country what it cost for their citizens to travel to those other countries. I could hardly argue with that.

Anyhow, as mentioned, a Yellow Book, a Thai Driver's Licence or a strident wife will often get you the local price.

What a great idea. I would gladly accept the reciprocity argument. When can I buy my land?

It's the double standards that is the problem.

I wish I knew how to use the forum search cos I wanted to find the thread a while back where the Thai government said it was considering buying property in Spain since the market there had crashed, property was therefore cheap and it would be a good investment.

Nice one!!

Does this mean that they will allow the Spanish to buy here?

BTW, the term property includes the land it's on.

I believe that under the nationalist dictator Franco, only Spanish could own property.

Thailand is a poorer country than most farang countries- makes 100% sense that they would try to charge extra for tourists. Getting boycotted by a handful of stingy/miserly farang tourists is going to have zero impact.

It's not a matter of being stingy/miserly....it is about discrimination. A high proportion of Thai people who visit national Parks and other Tourist destinations are quite well off (Judging by the Mercs BMW's etc that they arrive in ) Are you saying that these people should pay less than elderly tourists that have saved to take a holiday here or a family with Kids.??
Yes thats exactly what im saying- its their country,they pay taxes.

In some cases, charging tourist more than Thais is reasonable.

Tourists would not be here if they could not afford to spend some money.

Many Thais are very poor and should have access to things like parks, museums and cultural sites.

I am not a tourist. I am a full time resident of Thailand, and a Fa rang

I have been the victim of double pricing many times, but never by the same vendor twice.

For example: Sitting waiting for a haircut, I see four Thai men before me pay 30 baht for a haircut and a shave with a straight razor.

When it is my turn. I get a haircut and no shave for 50 baht!

In my poor Thai, I ask" why no shave?" Answer :" Farang!"

I ask why 50 and not 30? same answer.

I now go to a Thai barber, in the same village, who charges me the same price for the same service he gives Thai men.

I recently went to see him for a " touch up trim" I wanted before an interview.

When finished with a great job, he told me " No cut much today. No charge money"

This guy will be my barber as long as I live here!

I refuse to spend any money at any business that charges more for non Thais.

Some of the local Farangs feel the same and we share the info when over charged and all boycott the offenders.

Some Thais are not wise enough to know they would earn many more baht in the long run by treating us right and developing a relationship with us as good, loyal repeat customers for years to come.

( as we have become with those Thai businesses that do not discriminate)

I Guess it's better to rip you off for an extra 20 baht one time than to have years of business and profit!

I've been told there is no word for logic in the Thai language.

Maybe a nation wide campaign to boycott double pricing establishments would make a difference.

Offending establishments could be marked with a decal and all would know to avoid them.

Edited by willyumiii

In some cases, charging tourist more than Thais is reasonable.

Tourists would not be here if they could not afford to spend some money.

Many Thais are very poor and should have access to things like parks, museums and cultural sites.

I am not a tourist. I am a full time resident of Thailand, and a Fa rang

I have been the victim of double pricing many times, but never by the same vendor twice.

For example:  Sitting waiting for a haircut, I see four Thai men before me pay 30 baht for a haircut and a shave with a straight razor. 

When it is my turn. I get a haircut and no shave for  50 baht!

In my poor Thai, I ask" why no shave?"  Answer :" Farang!"

I ask why 50 and not 30?  same answer.

I now go to a Thai barber, in the same village, who charges me the same price for the same service he gives Thai men.

I recently went to see him for a " touch up trim" I wanted before an interview.

When finished with a great job, he told me " No cut much today. No charge money"

This guy will be my barber as long as I live here!

I refuse to spend any money at any business that charges more for non Thais.

Some of the local Farangs feel the same and we share the info when over charged and all boycott the offenders.

Some Thais are not wise enough to know they would earn many more baht in the long run by treating us right and developing a relationship with us as good, loyal repeat customers for years to come.

( as we have become with those Thai businesses that do not discriminate)

I Guess it's better to rip you off for an extra 20 baht one time than to have years of business and profit!

I've been told there is no word for logic in the Thai language.

Maybe a nation wide campaign to boycott double pricing establishments would make a difference. 

Offending establishments could be marked with a decal and all would know to avoid them.

I have met very very few thais that ever think of, or consider the long run. Vision does not seem to be part of the Thai consciousness. Period. Today. Only today. 20 more baht now seems to be worth more than 2,000 baht later.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

But it's good to point it out to those who seem to believe it's a uniquely Thai practice.

It might feel good to point elsewhere, but the argument you are making is "if it happens elsewhere then it should be accepable here"

Correct. Discounts for locals is perfectly acceptable here and elsewhere.

The ending of dual pricing would benefit every Farang in Thailand.

But this is TVF a regular bucket of crabs, full of people willing to argue against an improvement that might benefit themselves on the basis that they can't stomach the idea of it benefitting others.

But this is TVF a regular bucket of crabs, full of people willing to argue against an improvement that might benefit themselves on the basis that they can't stomach the idea of it benefitting others.

I'm happy to see the the Thai people getting the benefit.

Like I say, a bucket of crabs.

Like I say, a bucket of crabs.

I have no idea what that means!

Travellers of the most entitled categories?

White men.

And have a look at wealth/income distribution of the global human population - nobody posting here is the bottom 90%, many in the top 1%.

Humans be human, and from that POV this is definitely a first worlder's problem, totally trivial.

And denying yourself golf just because you think it should be cheaper, seems silly to me.

Golfers from every other country I know of go on and on about how cheap the sport is here.

Are you sure you're not talking about government-subsidized golf courses back home? I've heard such a thing exists in the lucky country (further tax-sponsored crimes crimes against the ecosystem IMO. . .)

I deny myself golf in Thailand as I don't want to be ripped off.

Last time in Phuket I was going to play with friends at either Red Mountain or Loch Palm. Red Mountain was about 5000 bt and Loch Palm about 4000 bt. Of course there are caddy costs etc.

I play a lot of golf on comparative golf courses on the gold coast in oz. Palm Meadows is approx 2500 bt and no you don't need a caddy, or even a cart. Most resorts on the gold coast are about 3000 bt or less.

So no, I don't like the courses in Thailand paying a pittance to the workers but charging western prices. It's just taking the piss.

That would be the same as going to Thailand and sitting in a bar and being happy to pay 150bt or more for a beer. Why pay that much when the overheads for staff etc are a fraction of the cost. That would be just daft.

That is a bizarre way to live your life. And I doubt that you're being truly honest with yourself. So with that line of thinking, you would never consider buying an Iphone, right? I mean, "why pay that much when the overheads for staff etc. are a fraction of the cost." (your words) The point is that the cost to make an Iphone is tiny compared to what Apple charges. Same with Nike shoes....and many other products. I don't go through life wondering how much it cost to produce the product or service, but rather, its value to me personally.

• Like 2

Travellers of the most entitled categories?

White men.

And have a look at wealth/income distribution of the global human population - nobody posting here is the bottom 90%, many in the top 1%.

Humans be human, and from that POV this is definitely a first worlder's problem, totally trivial.

And denying yourself golf just because you think it should be cheaper, seems silly to me.

Golfers from every other country I know of go on and on about how cheap the sport is here.

Are you sure you're not talking about government-subsidized golf courses back home? I've heard such a thing exists in the lucky country (further tax-sponsored crimes crimes against the ecosystem IMO. . .)

I deny myself golf in Thailand as I don't want to be ripped off.

Last time in Phuket I was going to play with friends at either Red Mountain or Loch Palm. Red Mountain was about 5000 bt and Loch Palm about 4000 bt. Of course there are caddy costs etc.

I play a lot of golf on comparative golf courses on the gold coast in oz. Palm Meadows is approx 2500 bt and no you don't need a caddy, or even a cart. Most resorts on the gold coast are about 3000 bt or less.

So no, I don't like the courses in Thailand paying a pittance to the workers but charging western prices. It's just taking the piss.

That would be the same as going to Thailand and sitting in a bar and being happy to pay 150bt or more for a beer. Why pay that much when the overheads for staff etc are a fraction of the cost. That would be just daft.

That is a bizarre way to live your life. And I doubt that you're being truly honest with yourself. So with that line of thinking, you would never consider buying an Iphone, right? I mean, "why pay that much when the overheads for staff etc. are a fraction of the cost." (your words) The point is that the cost to make an Iphone is tiny compared to what Apple charges. Same with Nike shoes....and many other products. I don't go through life wondering how much it cost to produce the product or service, but rather, its value to me personally.

Indeed, the cost to make is not important, not the profit they add only it's worth to you.

I would not want a Rolex, or Channel No.5, either for myself or to give as a gift.

But I wouldn't consider buying a LapTop without at least an i7 processor. It costs lots more but worth it to me.

However, in making such a purchase, I would "shop around" that's for sure.

I don't want to end up paying for a "name" and by avoiding the over the top expensive brands I hope to encourage the cheaper guys and help to keep a lid on the stupid high prices.

Re haircuts, ask the price first, I do, if there is a Farang loading I say, no profit you you from me then and walk away. Sometimes I am called back and am offered the Thai price.

BTW, my Thai wife also hates the Farang pricing and has been known to get quite outspoken to vendors on occasion.

spidermike007, on 20 May 2013 - 11:52, said:

From what I have heard, if you show a Thai drivers license, or proof that you live in Thailand, they are obligated to offer you the Thai price. It does work sometimes, unless you are dealing with a exceptionally stubborn, or ignorant individual. Have you ever run into one of those?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Simple - speak the local language and you get in for the local price.

Fair enough in any country.

But not fair to people who work here legally & pay taxes but may not speak the local language...shouldnt they get the local price as well ?....after all they are paying into the system

Just simply say no. What would a Thai person do in the US? He would say no. Fair is fair, and two tier pricing is pure BS. Racist nonsense. Just say no to the horsecrap.

• Like 1

Whilst farang are often charged more than Thais, there are many things that work in our favour. I am let off by traffic police all the time, for example. I can get discount that Thais wouldn't have the nerve to ask for, and better service in shops. Bank workers go out of their way to help me. I don't lose face very easily, which enables me to get away with a lot more than my Thai brothers and sisters.

People remember me which is an advantage. Thai people are not all after money(anymore than foreigners) and the longer I live out of Bangkok/tourist areas, I realize this.

I hate to hear the farang saying, "they can't do this to me, do you know what would happen in United Farangland if they did this?". Quite simply, I have started a new life in a country, which will never accept me as one of them, even if I pass a degree in Thai, become a monk, or have Toxin's daughter as a "mia noi".

I have to chill out and adjust certain ideas and attitudes. I must remember that this is not my home country, and therefore has different ways of doing things. Christ, that is one of the reasons I love it here. I used to want them to keep doing the things I liked and stop doing the things I didn't like. What a shitty attitude!

Realize what I can change and what I can't. Don't let the things that you can't get on top of you, they're not worth it. Once you have done this, weigh up the pros and cons of living in a new land and decide if it is for me or not. I have not been sentenced to live in Thailand, it is my choice.

Some things like double pricing are the Thai way an I sometimes think I should simply respect their decision - when I do this I usually see that they have a valid reason for doing something that thought 'racist' or unfair.

It's my fear of being take advantage of that I have to address. "can't have them Thais getting the better of ME, the almighty farang!

I know that if I want to become a Thai citizen I can,a lot easier than a Thai getting Citizenship in my country.

Excellent attitude, if only the hispanic aliens thought the same way the US would be a much better place

Right on

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't ya just love that word Alien?

Are they foreigners=aliens or illegal aliens?

As you seem to be using it in a derogatory way, am I correct in assuming the latter?

Do you make any effort to make them feel welcome?

In 1969 I was working in the mountains in the south of Taiwan, we were each issued with an Aliens passport, really made us feel wanted!!!

We were required to carry it at all times, and on occasions we would be "Interviewed" by the local special branch. The first time they filled in a questionnaire about our lives, schooling, qualifications, parents, work, everything. Whoa, if you got any of it wrong at the next "Interview" heaven help you.

Whilst farang are often charged more than Thais, there are many things that work in our favour. I am let off by traffic police all the time, for example. I can get discount that Thais wouldn't have the nerve to ask for, and better service in shops. Bank workers go out of their way to help me. I don't lose face very easily, which enables me to get away with a lot more than my Thai brothers and sisters.

People remember me which is an advantage. Thai people are not all after money(anymore than foreigners) and the longer I live out of Bangkok/tourist areas, I realize this.

I hate to hear the farang saying, "they can't do this to me, do you know what would happen in United Farangland if they did this?". Quite simply, I have started a new life in a country, which will never accept me as one of them, even if I pass a degree in Thai, become a monk, or have Toxin's daughter as a "mia noi".

I have to chill out and adjust certain ideas and attitudes. I must remember that this is not my home country, and therefore has different ways of doing things. Christ, that is one of the reasons I love it here. I used to want them to keep doing the things I liked and stop doing the things I didn't like. What a shitty attitude!

Realize what I can change and what I can't. Don't let the things that you can't get on top of you, they're not worth it. Once you have done this, weigh up the pros and cons of living in a new land and decide if it is for me or not. I have not been sentenced to live in Thailand, it is my choice.

Some things like double pricing are the Thai way an I sometimes think I should simply respect their decision - when I do this I usually see that they have a valid reason for doing something that thought 'racist' or unfair.

It's my fear of being take advantage of that I have to address. "can't have them Thais getting the better of ME, the almighty farang!

I know that if I want to become a Thai citizen I can,a lot easier than a Thai getting Citizenship in my country.

Excellent attitude, if only the hispanic aliens thought the same way the US would be a much better place

Right on

As you seem to be using it in a derogatory way, am I correct in assuming the latter?

In 1969 I was working in the mountains in the south of Taiwan, we were each issued with an Aliens passport, really made us feel wanted!!!

We were required to carry it at all times, and on occasions we would be "Interviewed" by the local special branch. The first time they filled in a questionnaire about our lives, schooling, qualifications, parents, work, everything. Whoa, if you got any of it wrong at the next "Interview" heaven help you.

Well.......alien means anyone who is not a citizen regardless of creed color or nationality

Falang means whitey, pure and simple. I suppose you think its ok for thais to use that word (sometimes it seems to be the most commonly used word in the thai language) but it is not ok for me to use the term alien? Think you better check yourself.

Furthermore, I suppose sarcasm is just wasted on you eh.......

Right on

Well.......alien means anyone who is not a citizen regardless of creed color or nationality

Falang means whitey, pure and simple. I suppose you think its ok for thais to use that word (sometimes it seems to be the most commonly used word in the thai language) but it is not ok for me to use the term alien? Think you better check yourself.

Furthermore, I suppose sarcasm is just wasted on you eh.......

Well I guess so

but care to answer my questions?

It's a fine word, when qualified and so is Farang if not used as an insult..

spidermike007, on 20 May 2013 - 11:52, said:

From what I have heard, if you show a Thai drivers license, or proof that you live in Thailand, they are obligated to offer you the Thai price. It does work sometimes, unless you are dealing with a exceptionally stubborn, or ignorant individual. Have you ever run into one of those?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Simple - speak the local language and you get in for the local price.

Fair enough in any country.

But not fair to people who work here legally & pay taxes but may not speak the local language...shouldnt they get the local price as well ?....after all they are paying into the system

Just simply say no. What would a Thai person do in the US? He would say no. Fair is fair, and two tier pricing is pure BS. Racist nonsense. Just say no to the horsecrap.

of course you can say no to "horsecrap". but what will your children say to you when you refuse to pay four times the entrance fee a Florida resident pays for Disneyland, Seaworld, MGM-studios and a few other theme parks near Orlando? racist? my àss!

• Like 2

Right on

I've always been of the opinion that much of the eagerness with which expats in Thailand express a desire to deny themselves and other expats rights in Thailand had something to do with their feelings towards foreigners back in the country the expat came from.

Thanks for confirming.

You guys just don't understand the concept of tongue in cheek, do you?

Point is, if you accept the attitude from thais then you MUST accept it from americans, but you just won't have that will you? Bunch of colonialists....

You guys just don't understand the concept of tongue in cheek, do you?

Point is, if you accept the attitude from thais then you MUST accept it from americans, but you just won't have that will you? Bunch of colonialists....

I understand that many a true word is spoken in jest.

That's a shame that the fella's kids are missing out because of his principles.

SC

Really...????

What a great lesson to teach your kids.... Stand up for your rights ... even if it means you dont get to see the monkeys getting coconuts or ride on the rusty/filthy roller coaster!

I for one just flat-out don't understand what the hispanic reference was about even if it was sincere, so if there was any sarcasm was involved it was certainly lost on me.

Don't worry, it's par for the course with Kilgore. He has a propensity to mix irrelevant analogies with out-in-left-field sarcasm, which usually results in an incoherent rant that is very similar to sounds of a certain pitch that only dogs can hear. I'd be more worried if you did understand his point.

-

cheesy.gif

Thanks I'll keep that in mind - read: I'll make sure to pay close attention to his further posts to watch out for any signs of growing comprehension, and if they appear I'll get myself checked out. . .

That's a shame that the fella's kids are missing out because of his principles.

SC

Really...????

What a great lesson to teach your kids.... Stand up for your rights ... even if it means you dont get to see the monkeys getting coconuts or ride on the rusty/filthy roller coaster!

-

More likely they'll just learn (or be confirmed in what they already know) that Dad's a stroppy old cheapskate and no fun at all. . .