Farang Prices In Thailand

SiggiCM

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went there with a friend (farang) who's an expat. I had a tourist visa and paid farang price. He had a retirement visa, flashed proof of residency and paid resident (Thai) price.

Has anyone else tried this with success or failure?

• Like 2

A visit to London Zoo for a family of four is about 2500 bht.

Longleat Safari Park about 4000 bht.

Not a major difference imo.

Also as above a Thai DL or Yellow Book will usually get you into most attractions for the Thai price.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by apetley

This flashes up almost every week here... but it is so simple:

As a foreigner, you have no chance to change that policy, independent of whether it is legal or not. As a foreigner, you have two options, either accept and enter or decline and leave.

Yes, some places will give you the Thai price when you show either retirement Visa / Thai Driver licence or any other document to prove that you live in Thailand. I did however notice that if I go with GF and kids, she gets the tickets, tells the guy "he is my husband" and most of the time I get in on the Thai price as well

Not really worth the 10th or 20th thread about dual pricing policy...

Agreed, I always tell foreigners in my country that they should never complain about things they don't like because it won't change.

They are aliens and should just shut up and accept it. This goes for alien foreigners outside the country as well, as I often hear people complaining about US policies.

If you don't like what the US does and you are an alien, you need to just keep your mouth shut. Not really worth the 10th or 20th complaint.

Glad we see eye to eyewink.png

• Like 2

This flashes up almost every week here... but it is so simple:

As a foreigner, you have no chance to change that policy, independent of whether it is legal or not. As a foreigner, you have two options, either accept and enter or decline and leave.

Yes, some places will give you the Thai price when you show either retirement Visa / Thai Driver licence or any other document to prove that you live in Thailand. I did however notice that if I go with GF and kids, she gets the tickets, tells the guy "he is my husband" and most of the time I get in on the Thai price as well

Not really worth the 10th or 20th thread about dual pricing policy...

I've had the same experience in most places, including when my wife also said that my son visiting from home was also her son - not a huge age gap. The ticket girl laughed and gave us all the Thai price.

Thai drivers licence will get you the residents price in most places that I've been to - as long as you don't present it with a huge attitude. Just smile and ask nicely - don't say "I want the Thai price". Say "Can I please have..." Manners really. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I remember about 30 years ago I was on vacation in Rome. I was outside the Forum or the Colosseum, I can't remember which, and there was a large signboard listing all the entry prices. There were about 3 dozen different entry prices based on what nationality the visitor was. I asked someone why the pricing was structured so and they told me the pricing was intended to reciprocate the prices Italians had to pay to see major historic attractions in other countries.

In the last ten years I've visited China many times and visas have cost me anywhere from about $70 to $150. People from first world countries aren't used to paying such extreme prices to visit other countries, but it was explained to me that China has a policy to reciprocate by country what it cost for their citizens to travel to those other countries. I could hardly argue with that.

Anyhow, as mentioned, a Yellow Book, a Thai Driver's Licence or a strident wife will often get you the local price.

Or we realize that even at 2400 baht it's a fraction of what a similar outing would cost at home, so we go anyway smile.png

Simalarly, my family has a car dealership in US. Cars are significantly cheaper there than Thailand so I always tell my uncle that Thai people should pay 1/2 to double more than americans pay.

A new nissan costs 20,000 dollars, Thais should pay 30. They are still getting a deal, in Thailand they would pay 35-40.

According to your post you surely agree, right?

Not the same, but sure if your family thinks they can charge more go for it. Of course it will probably be illegal to charge based on race in the US, so they will have to set the sticker price higher for everyone. You might get away with charging more for for people who are not local residents without considering race, at least that works for tourist attractions in many states....oh wait that is exactly what we are talking about...it's legal and widely practiced in the US :)

as previously said, a flash of a driving licence or work permit will generally get you in at thai prices, it is suppose to be because as a thai resident or work permit holder you are paying taxes here, or so they say. in actual fact i think its a great idea that as a countryman your natural beauty spots are free or cheaper, after all thailand belongs to the thai people. im from the uk and i only wish our country would do the same for us, you get better looked after as a foriener there.

• Like 2

Not being an expert in Laws I can only verify that such a practice exists.

Thai Gov't is to blame. No big deal in terms of money (entry fee: farangs - 200, thai - 40) in National park near Chiang Mai. Big sign, obviously official.

The shame is squarely on Thai Gov't. I suppose if they are in need of funding they could raise the entrance fee to 50 across the board without being so obviously

sexist, nationalistic, xenophobic or greedily discriminative.

But what the hell, - this is not their worst or last negative feature. tongue.png

• Like 1

Thailand is a poorer country than most farang countries- makes 100% sense that they would try to charge extra for tourists. Getting boycotted by a handful of stingy/miserly farang tourists is going to have zero impact.

That's why countries like Spain and greece are seeing 27% unemployment figures and the UK almost hits a double dip rescession, add to that the ever increasing strength of the Baht.

Imagine a Spanish family working their socks off all year to keep their jobs and their yearly holiday is tarnished by paying 5 times as much to see the same things. These threads come up again and again and I would usually agree with you, however Thailand is doing very well at the minute with increasing investment and the purchase of bonds etc.

The Spanish family pay 2400 baht for a night safari and then the Thai family pay 425 baht and then jump into their brand new merc and drive home.

When the Spanish family start living on less than 300 baht a day then they can get the Thai discount. Not many thais around my area are driving a new merc.

• Like 1

That's a shame that the fella's kids are missing out because of his principles.

SC

At 12 and 13, I'd think his kids are old enough to understand and probably share his principles if he explains the situation.

If he doesn't wanna pay the extra, he shouldn't go.

• Like 1

Sorry OP, just re -read your post and have to ask if you are seriously saying that due to a height variance your children are claiming discrimination? If I follow are you claiming that because of your childrens height this rule was put into place to single out Western children on the basis they are taller than the locals.

Thailand is a poorer country than most farang countries- makes 100% sense that they would try to charge extra for tourists. Getting boycotted by a handful of stingy/miserly farang tourists is going to have zero impact.

That's why countries like Spain and greece are seeing 27% unemployment figures and the UK almost hits a double dip rescession, add to that the ever increasing strength of the Baht.

Imagine a Spanish family working their socks off all year to keep their jobs and their yearly holiday is tarnished by paying 5 times as much to see the same things. These threads come up again and again and I would usually agree with you, however Thailand is doing very well at the minute with increasing investment and the purchase of bonds etc.

The Spanish family pay 2400 baht for a night safari and then the Thai family pay 425 baht and then jump into their brand new merc and drive home.

When the Spanish family start living on less than 300 baht a day then they can get the Thai discount. Not many thais around my area are driving a new merc.

You have answered your own question, why charge Western prices on Thai wages?. Why not all pay the same, as I said I agree with you as a rule and get tired of double charging threads. But the TOT need to think about the West not being as well off anymore and think of the Eastern block or Indian nationals it's targeting as tourists.