800,000 In Thai Bank Or 65,000 Income Letter To Extend O-A Visa?

I have read conflicting information as to whether you need to place 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank, OR if a letter from my embassy confirming 65,000 Baht annual income from abroad is acceptable in order to extend O-A retirement visa beyond the second year. I would much prefer the latter. I am Canadian if that makes a difference. Thanks for help.

Qualifying based on income only (65K per month) works fine. You will be applying for an annual extension based on retirement. Go to the immigration office starting 30 days before expiration of your current stay. You lose no days on your extension by getting it early (it starts from the expiration date of your current stay). You need to find out what the Canadian embassy requires you to show to obtain the income letter for immigration. That varies between countries.

Edited by Jingthing

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

I am the OP. I just read elsewhere on this site that the 65,000 works fine if you are resident in Bangkok, but not in a place like Hua Hin which requires the 800,000 Baht in the Bank!! More responses please.

I am the OP. I just read elsewhere on this site that the 65,000 works fine if you are resident in Bangkok, but not in a place like Hua Hin which requires the 800,000 Baht in the Bank!! More responses please.

65K via embassy letter should work in ALL offices. Funny the rumors out there. One issue to be aware of the immigration office has the right to ask for further documentation of the income claimed in the embassy letter. This doesn't usually happen but you should be aware they have the right to do so. Your question now should move away from the rumors, and find out the rules of the CANADIAN embassy on what documentation they require to issue the letter. Some embassies just take your word for your claim while others have specific and more strict documentation requirements.

So you are using the Hua Hin office? If so, can you post a link to where you got that info about Hua Hin? If not Hua Hin, which immigration office are you using? You MUST use the immigration office that corresponds to your residence address in Thailand.

I will also add even if using the income method (65K per month) it is a very good idea to have a Thai bank account anyway. It's a useful thing for expats to have. That doesn't mean you need the 800K though if using the income method though. You do NOT.

Edited by Jingthing

If using an income letter, you do not have to bring 65,000 baht/month into Thailand. Hubby doesn't bring that much in and he uses the income letter -- not all of his income is spent in Thailand.

But, when he goes to do a retirement extension (in CM), he always brings a couple years of U.S. Federal tax returns, including the 1099 forms for his income sources and the Bangkok Bank passport that we use for living expenses here. Some of our expenses aren't Thai-based and we simply don't spent 65,000 baht/month here.

Of course, the one time he was asked about income flow, he brought out the paperwork and they didn't bother to look. They just glanced at the Bangkok Bank passport and saw regular spending.

Well the OP has not stated which immigration office he is using, however, I DO have perhaps a relevant report from a reliable source that is RELATED to these kind of issues.

This is from the JOMTIEN office and very recent.

Immigration there is now stating at THAT office that income letters from embassies can not be more than FIFTEEN days old. That represents a MAJOR CHANGE in policy for that office anyway. The reporter stated he was allowed to proceed with an older letter this time, but warned about the next time.

That seems very harsh and unreasonable considering the inconvenience of traveling to Bangkok and also the appointment systems at some embassies.

ALSO, even more potentially concerning to the OP, the reporter also claimed that they would be checking on the date you last received your last INCOME chunk as documented in the embassy letter. Whether the proof needs to be shown flowing into a Thai bank account or not was not specified. To meet that kind of potential requirement INCOME based applicants might NEED a Thai bank account and might need to deposit their MOST RECENT claimed monthly income chunk into that Thai bank account (if so, they would also need an immigration letter from the bank, very fresh for the appointment). It DEPENDS on the enforcement policy at the time at the office you are using. As I originally stated, immigration ALWAYS has the right to ask for more documentation, and that would be a kind of proof of the income stated.

Again, let's be clear, that does not mean there is a requirement to transfer in ALL of your stated income letter throughout the year and it certainly does not mean that INCOME based applications are not accepted at ALL offices. It does mean at some offices at some times there are going to be some extra hassles for income based applicants.

If I were the OP, if he can't get specific info on your office here, even harder because he hasn't even stated his office, he might consider visiting the office before application time to gather current information on specific current enforcement policies/requirements at that office. Not that this would be foolproof, of course. Enforcement policies can change at any time, even between officers at the same office, and typically reception people are not the most reliable communicators of actual policies.

I'll add another editorial comment. With enforcement policy reports as above, PERHAPS there is some kind of trend to hassle income based applications more. Which would make using the 800K baht method arguably more convenient. If using the 800K method, the funds must be seasoned in your Thai bank account for two months for the first application, and three months for subsequent ones.

Edited by Jingthing

Well the OP has not stated which immigration office he is using, however, I DO have perhaps a relevant report from a reliable source that is RELATED to these kind of issues.

This is from the JOMTIEN office and very recent.

Immigration there is now stating at THAT office that income letters from embassies can not be more than FIFTEEN days old. That represents a MAJOR CHANGE in policy for that office anyway. The reporter stated he was allowed to proceed with an older letter this time, but warned about the next time.

That seems very harsh and unreasonable considering the inconvenience of traveling to Bangkok and also the appointment systems at some embassies.

ALSO, even more potentially concerning to the OP, the reporter also claimed that they would be checking on the date you last received your last INCOME chunk as documented in the embassy letter. Whether the proof needs to be shown flowing into a Thai bank account or not was not specified. To meet that kind of potential requirement INCOME based applicants might NEED a Thai bank account and might need to deposit their MOST RECENT claimed monthly income chunk into that Thai bank account (if so, they would also need an immigration letter from the bank, very fresh for the appointment). It DEPENDS on the enforcement policy at the time at the office you are using. As I originally stated, immigration ALWAYS has the right to ask for more documentation, and that would be a kind of proof of the income stated.

Again, let's be clear, that does not mean there is a requirement to transfer in ALL of your stated income letter throughout the year and it certainly does not mean that INCOME based applications are not accepted at ALL offices. It does mean at some offices at some times there are going to be some extra hassles for income based applicants.

If I were the OP, if he can't get specific info on your office here, even harder because he hasn't even stated his office, he might consider visiting the office before application time to gather current information on specific current enforcement policies/requirements at that office. Not that this would be foolproof, of course. Enforcement policies can change at any time, even between officers at the same office, and typically reception people are not the most reliable communicators of actual policies.

I'll add another editorial comment. With enforcement policy reports as above, PERHAPS there is some kind of trend to hassle income based applications more. Which would make using the 800K baht method arguably more convenient. If using the 800K method, the funds must be seasoned in your Thai bank account for two months for the first application, and three months for subsequent ones.

Since this thread was started by someone interested in the situation in Hua Hin, I don't want to hijack the topic with a discussion of things happening at Jomtien. Possibly if you and/or others hear more about the requirement for a very fresh embassy letter specifically at Jomtien you can start a separate thread with that information, especially if/when there is some certainty that it applies to everyone or maybe just in certain situations.

Edited by Suradit69

The OP never actually confirmed he will be using Hua Hin. I explicitly asked him to and he never replied. The OP indeed DOES need to learn specifics about both the Canadian embassy and also the immigration office he will be using, whichever that is. I did want to emphasize AGAIN that as far as I know, there is NO immigration office in Thailand that will not accept INCOME based retirement extension applications as long as those income based applications meet their specific enforcement policies which DO vary across offices and sometimes change.

I agree the Jomtien policy could be worth a new thread. I suggest someone doing an income based application there in the near future start it.

If you read the info I did add about Jomtien, I think there MAY be a hint as to the concern of the OP and why I decided to include that info on THIS THREAD. The fact that SOME offices at SOME times have indeed hassled income based applicants to show money flows into Thai bank accounts. It is not an official national rule but an enforcement thing at some offices at some times. That info could be very confusing and concerning to someone new to this process. What does it mean? It would be easy for a newbie to conclude they need to transfer in all of their claimed annual income from the income letter into a Thai bank account. But it does NOT mean that.

Edited by Jingthing

The OP never actually confirmed he will be using Hua Hin. I explicitly asked him to and he never replied. The OP indeed DOES need to learn specifics about both the Canadian embassy and also the immigration office he will be using, whichever that is. I did want to emphasize AGAIN that as far as I know, there is NO immigration office in Thailand that will not accept INCOME based retirement extension applications as long as those income based applications meet their specific enforcement policies which DO vary across offices and sometimes change.

I agree the Jomtien policy could be worth a new thread. I suggest someone doing an income based application there in the near future start it.

If you read the info I did add about Jomtien, I think there MAY be a hint as to the concern of the OP and why I decided to include that info on THIS THREAD. The fact that SOME offices at SOME times have indeed hassled income based applicants to show money flows into Thai bank accounts. It is not an official national rule but an enforcement thing at some offices at some times. That info could be very confusing and concerning to someone new to this process. What does it mean? It would be easy for a newbie to conclude they need to transfer in all of their claimed annual income from the income letter into a Thai bank account. But it does NOT mean that.

It wasn't meant as a criticism, but if what you reported turns out to be a new policy for everyone, it would certainly merit its own thread with something in the title to draw the attention of Jomtien users. Maybe, emphasis MAYBE, it was applied to someone without a bank account. Whether or not one has the full 800,000 in a bank account, I think they may be less fussy about the letter if you have a reasonable amount in your bank account and that it shows regular foreign-originated deposits. Again, just speculation.

Edited by Suradit69

No. The person definitely had a bank account. I don't do income extensions at Jomtien which is why I suggest someone who does start a thread if they encounter this same new change info at Jomtien. I won't do that as it didn't happen to me but I trust the credible source.

Slightly different question. What if you buy a condo in Thailand worth as an example two million baht. (or equal to or more than 800k baht) Would that cover any of the 800k baht for the visa?

No, the funds need to be in a Thai bank, in an account that gives you ready access to the funds. The idea is to demonstrate you have sufficient funds to live and for emergencies, which wouldn't be in the case if your money is tied up in a condo.

Slightly different question. What if you buy a condo in Thailand  worth as an example two million baht. (or equal to or more than 800k baht) Would that cover any of the 800k baht for the visa? 

No, the funds need to be in a Thai bank, in an account that gives you ready access to the funds.  The idea is to demonstrate you have sufficient funds to live and for emergencies, which wouldn't be in the case if your money is tied up in a condo.

Actually immigration doesn't say WHY but correct real estate cannot be used to qualify.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually none of the Western embassies certify that you have a monthly income of anything at all. They certify that you told them that you have 65K a month, which is not the same thing as having it. Hence an Immigration Officer may ask for further evidence which maybe could be evidence of deposits into a Thai bank account from abroad of the stated amount. Embassy officials I have dealt with are openly contemptuous of the whole process.

Actually none of the Western embassies certify that you have a monthly income of anything at all. They certify that you told them that you have 65K a month, which is not the same thing as having it. Hence an Immigration Officer may ask for further evidence which maybe could be evidence of deposits into a Thai bank account from abroad of the stated amount. Embassy officials I have dealt with are openly contemptuous of the whole process.

None of them? I find that very hard to believe based on reading reports about various embassy requirements over the years. I don't recall the Canadian policies which are the policies of concern to the OP. Maybe you are playing a semantics game with the word certify. If they require documentation to show evidence of the income in some way that is not the same thing as just taking your word for it (which as we know some embassies do).

Another point: You can get an income letter from your embassy for ANY amount. It doesn't need to be a minimum of 65K monthly baht at the embassy. Many people get letters for lesser amounts in order to use the COMBO qualifying method at immigration in which a combination of Thai banked money plus income letter totaling at least 800K annually is used.

Edited by Jingthing

There is only one Canadian Consulate in Bangkok and they have always been extremely helpful to me.

As far as requirements for obtaining the affidavit of income, I always provide a letter from my Canadian bank dated within about 30 days, plus a copy of my statement covering a period of three or four months prior showing regular deposits.

I always blank out the balance side and there has never been a question.

Pathumthani Immigration office never has a problem with the letter from the Canadian consulate.

I always carry the other evidence as back up in case I am asked.

As for a comment about embassies/consulates certifying that you have B65,000 a month, that is not their job.

What they do certify is your monthly/annual income. If it falls short of B65,000 a month, then the money in a Thai bank, on account for the requisite days, can be used to make up this difference.

Edited by ratcatcher

One point you may wish to consider:

As an American, I can get a sworn/notarized income affidavit at the U.S. Consulate: $50.

I can get the 800,000 baht letter from my bank for 150 baht: ~$5

I need sufficient funds on hand in Thailand, in case of medical emergency, so 800,000 baht in a Thai bank isn't a bad thing, IMO. Paying $5, instead of $50? you decide!

As a Canadian, your consulate fee?

One point you may wish to consider:

As an American, I can get a sworn/notarized income affidavit at the U.S. Consulate: $50.

I can get the 800,000 baht letter from my bank for 150 baht: ~$5

I need sufficient funds on hand in Thailand, in case of medical emergency, so 800,000 baht in a Thai bank isn't a bad thing, IMO. Paying $5, instead of $50? you decide!

As a Canadian, your consulate fee?

Plus, the nice ladies at the bank bring me ice water while I sit in airconditioned comfort waiting for the bank letter.

At the U.S. Consulate, you use a cumbersome system to make an appointment on-line and then you have to have the Thai security people paw thru all your stuff at security and then wait in a room without aircon, with Fox News blaring on the TV. All for the privilege of talking to someone behind bullet-proof glass performing a service that costs, at most, $5 in the U.S.

Don't forget, too, Bangkok Bank pays better interest than a similar savings account in the U.S.

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more
than 1 year at a time.
(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);
(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;
(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than
800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or
(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less
than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

And if one meets criteria 1, 2, and 4, does one also need a certified letter from the Thai bank?

Can I just bring my updated Bangkok Bank passbook as evidence of my 800,000+ deposit?

British Embassy needs actual proof of income in the form of statement/letter from your pension provider or rental agreements if you are relying on income from property in UK etc etc.

Did my renewal in Jomtien three weeks ago based on income, used embassy letter from that week, no bank letter or bank book produced or asked for, in and out In fifteen minutes. Back the next day to collect passport.

For showing money in the bank you need updated bankbook AND letter from the bank.

Thank you.

Providing the updated passbook is of course easy.

I asked Bangkok Bank Emporium branch about the letter. They said they could easily and quickly provide a letter that confirms the amount that I have in my account on the day that I request the letter. However, they said they could not so easily provide a letter confirming that I have had more than 800,000 baht in account for the past 2 (or 3) months, even though they have this information. (They said that they could possibly do it but it would be more complicated and take several days.)

Thus, my question: Will it be sufficient if I simply present to Immigration (a) my passbook updated to the current day and (B) a letter from the bank confirming the amount that I have on that same day.

If so, I will go to the Bangkok Bank Emporium branch at 10 AM, update and present my passbook and obtain the letter, and then head directly to Immigration at Laksi.

For showing money in the bank you need updated bankbook AND letter from the bank.

Can the bankbook update and the letter be dated one singe day before visiting Immigration? Provided they both show the same amount, and the date in the book is the same as the date on the letter, is this acceptable?

Reason for asking: I use Nakhon Pathom Immigration Office. I always like to be there at 8:30am to get a foot in the door before the stampede of factory workers arrive. If I must show an update in my bank book the actual day of attendance at Immigration, even though no transaction has been made since the issue of the letter and update the preceding day, then make the hour and a half drive to Immigration, I arrive bang on lunch-time. And the chances of being dealt with in the afternoon diminish with the size of the queue! Catch 22?