Australian Gunmen Walk Free After Short Phuket Prison Stint

webfact

Word on the street in Patong is that the tariff was 25 large. I got that from someone who knows one of the forkwits quite well. I hope the story is well-reported in Aus, just so Aussies know what this place is about. I wonder what the Aus Consul has to say about this? I would guess he has no comment ......

• Like 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tried to find minimum sentence for attempted murder with firearm in Australia, but not alot of luck. I think perhaps 4 years just for the firearm, plus the attempted murder time. This is so insane, letting these guys out. As you all know already. They don't look so hiso.... Red Bull heirs perhaps? If ever there were a time expats would applaud a long prison sentence, seems this would be one. Is Thailand trying to be some Hub of gangs that can't shoot straight? When I taught in USA, one of the students at high school I taught got 20 years for shooting at (but not hitting) other students driving by school.

• Like 1

" That day, the Australians opened fire on Mr Knudsen on Soi Sansabai, near Patongs renowned nightlife district on Soi Bangla, accidentally wounding two German tourists in the process. However, Mr Cohen and Mr Shea failed to hit their target: Denny Knudsen."Tryed to kill somebody,Attempted murder with premeditation.illegal weapons possession.Fired a gun in to the crowed.Hit two Bystanders.And then only got 6,5 months!No wounder, why Thailand is still a paradise for these criminals.Guess, they had valid work permits for their tattoo studio.Others got just for working without permit or a joint 6 months!

And got released after 40 days! <deleted> is wrong with this place?(Rhetorical question - don't want to fill up this thread with massive lists.)

Well the 40 days was explained. It was a suspended sentence with baht 7500 fine and they served 40 days instead of the fine

• Like 1

This stuff should be broadcast worldwide to warn folk. rolleyes.gif

The problem is Transam, nobody really give a shit about Thailand. I posted this story on my facebook, people answered about like this: It's a third world country, what do you expect?

Simply unbelievable, even in this country.

Attempted murder, wounding and the prison term is less than you'd get for slandering someone.

The legal system here is the absolute pits.

<deleted>.... this must be a joke ! if not, please everybody, let this go viral around the globe, even to Mars and the Moon so that future tourists there are aware better to stay in space instead to go to the banana kingdom, named Thailand, land of bribes and corruption... sad.png

The problem is Transam, nobody really give a shit about Thailand. I posted this story on my facebook, people answered about like this: It's a third world country, what do you expect?

Yes.

But I really don't think it should be broadcast worldwide. If it is, it's likely to attract more criminals to come here. Plus I don't think this type of warped 'justice' only applies to Phuket.

Convicted police killers released on bail in Kalasin is the worst case I've heard. The Thai justice system (if that's the right word) is FUBAR.

Never judge a book by its cover. Amazing what type of people may know the right people.

Yes,

and the sentence is a joke.

Ironically, the same for both?

Cohen for attempted murder and Shea for conspiracy?

Anyway 5 million are indeed first parked in court.

Already pre-signed the papers?

Shame on, who thinking evil here.

Falang luh mak, mai dii.

This sends a clear incentive to criminals to come to Phuket to do crime.

Get caught here, and all you do is buy your way out of it.

Interesting times ahead for Phuket.

Don't you worry.

All farangs may not be so lucky next time.

Judgements and sentences will be passed down by the prison inmates !

Don't cry foul then !!

Yes.

But I really don't think it should be broadcast worldwide. If it is, it's likely to attract more criminals to come here. Plus I don't think this type of warped 'justice' only applies to Phuket.

Convicted police killers released on bail in Kalasin is the worst case I've heard. The Thai justice system (if that's the right word) is FUBAR.

Maybe Mafia killed Mafia there in Kalasin ? whistling.gif

" That day, the Australians opened fire on Mr Knudsen on Soi Sansabai, near Patongs renowned nightlife district on Soi Bangla, accidentally wounding two German tourists in the process. However, Mr Cohen and Mr Shea failed to hit their target: Denny Knudsen."Tryed to kill somebody,Attempted murder with premeditation.illegal weapons possession.Fired a gun in to the crowed.Hit two Bystanders.And then only got 6,5 months!No wounder, why Thailand is still a paradise for these criminals.Guess, they had valid work permits for their tattoo studio.Others got just for working without permit or a joint 6 months!

And got released after 40 days! <deleted> is wrong with this place?(Rhetorical question - don't want to fill up this thread with massive lists.)
Well the 40 days was explained. It was a suspended sentence with baht 7500 fine and they served 40 days instead of the fine

Thanks - I completely missed the word "suspended" in the original report.

This sends a clear incentive to criminals to come to Phuket to do crime.

Get caught here, and all you do is buy your way out of it.

Interesting times ahead for Phuket.

Apart from the fact that they were given a suspended prison sentence. As soon as they do anything illegal again they're inside. Probably won't be long.

Man I have a friend doing 23 months and he is an Ausie worth millions. His GF planted some ice in his car and then tipped police. He tried to pay them off and they took his money but would not let him go free. He even married a Thai national before he was sentenced but to no avail.

Besides that, any one knows 53 year old men don't use ice.

I can't believe this article. It makes no sense. This is a no f'in around country. I heard that guns used during a crime was capital. <deleted>?

"53 yr old men don't use ice", never been heard of before, what makes you think that, man? Oh yes man, your friend was 53!

I can see that most of the Op's on this site just don't understand what happened! These two misunderstood young men were just exhibiting youthful exuberance, they didn't really want to shoot the Dane, they were just being playful! It was the German tourists fault for being in the way of the bullets...simple really. The 5 million baht? Where on earth would two clumsy tattooists get 5 million baht! Think about it!

The 5m baht? Thinking about it, maybe their business was successful? Maybe someone put up the bail for them, family, friends, fellow crooks, lawyers, who knows?

tried to find minimum sentence for attempted murder with firearm in Australia, but not alot of luck. I think perhaps 4 years just for the firearm, plus the attempted murder time. This is so insane, letting these guys out. As you all know already. They don't look so hiso.... Red Bull heirs perhaps? If ever there were a time expats would applaud a long prison sentence, seems this would be one. Is Thailand trying to be some Hub of gangs that can't shoot straight? When I taught in USA, one of the students at high school I taught got 20 years for shooting at (but not hitting) other students driving by school.

This is Thailand, not Australia. What's the point in guessing what the Australian penalty would be?

If these guys committed the same crime, anywhere else in Thailand, they would be locked away for a long time.

It's only on Phuket where such major criminal behaviour is allowed to flourish and go unpunished, for a fee, of course.

It wasn't unpunished. They got a suspended sentence and a fine.

So they paid off with some big money, but couldn't pay the 7500b fine and had to serve it in jail at 200b per day.... Hmmm.

They chose to do time instead of paying the fine. Maybe they like prison.

I don't think anyone would seriously choose a day in jail instead of paying 200 baht.

BTW, congratulations, Harry. Nine consecutive posts. smile.png

" That day, the Australians opened fire on Mr Knudsen on Soi Sansabai, near Patong’s renowned nightlife district on Soi Bangla, accidentally wounding two German tourists in the process. However, Mr Cohen and Mr Shea failed to hit their target: Denny Knudsen."

Tryed to kill somebody,

Attempted murder with premeditation.

illegal weapons possession.

Fired a gun in to the crowd.

Hit two Bystanders.

In America these clowns would be hailed as heroes by the NRA. They were the good guys, Knudsen was the bad guy and the Germans were collateral damage.