Phuket Illegal Taxi Drivers Stalk Governor, Demand Resolution

webfact

Phuket illegal taxi drivers stalk Governor, demand resolution
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A sortie of about 30 illegal taxi drivers from the Mook Andaman co-operative staged an all-night vigil in front of the Governor’s Residence last night, finally causing the governor to agree to meet with them today to seek a resolution to their demand to serve passengers at Phuket International Airport.

Police were called in to ensure the drivers kept a safe distance from the official residence of Governor Maitri Inthusut. The governor’s family was not in the house during the silent siege.

The protest was held to highlight that the illegal drivers had been refused, yet again, by Phuket Mai Khao Company to serve passengers at the airport, said Mook Andaman President Songtham Mekmanee.

The grounds of Phuket Mai Khai Company’s consistent refusal are that the vehicles the illegal Mook Andaman drivers are using do not meet the standards required by law.

“Phuket Mai Khao Company still does not allow our drivers to join their service at the airport although they have been handed a formal request from us – at the Governor’s suggestion – that they allow five of our drivers to do so,” said Mr Songtham.

Governor Maitri has several times already been called on to resolve the conflict (story here), which stems from the Mook Andaman drivers being officially allowed to have some of their vehicles serve the airport under Phuket Mai Khao Company, which holds a formal contract with Airports of Thailand to operate a limousine service at the airport.

“We came to explain to the Governor that we handed the request to Phuket Mai Khao Company as he suggested, but it didn’t work because Phuket Mai Khao Company still does not want to accept our drivers,” Mook Andaman Vice President Itthipol Mekmanee told the Phuket Gazette.

“We are in trouble. We cannot pick up passengers at the airport. We have done everything the government officers have told us, but still we have the same problem,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-illegal-taxi-drivers-stalk-Governor-demand-resolution-21118.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-05-22

There are many construction sites searching workers... So no problem to make an income...

That would be earning an honest income.  They don't want that sort of job. :)

What is not honest? They have done what is required by them and they aren't given an option to work. If you're talking about pricing then there are set fares at the airport. If you cant afford it then get a minivan. SIMPLE!

The governer of Phuket is not a TV member. So he wont be reading any of the posts from the minority of people thag have a problem with Phukets taxis. If anyone has a problem they should take a leaf out of these guys books and go and stand out the front of the governor's house and protest

Since you've been talking with your new pall the tuk tuk driver you're sounding more and more like a PR man ! And where do you get the "minority" from ? Brainwashed ?

Go and see the governer then you are wasting your time here. I would like to know how often people go to the airport. 6 times a year? That equates to less than 100 baht a week on average. If expats cant afford this then perhaps its time to earn some more money. Just saying like

Since you've been talking with your new pall the tuk tuk driver you're sounding more and more like a PR man ! And where do you get the "minority" from ? Brainwashed ?

Go and see the governer then you are wasting your time here. I would like to know how often people go to the airport. 6 times a year? That equates to less than 100 baht a week on average. If expats cant afford this then perhaps its time to earn some more money. Just saying like

Taxi's don't only drive to the airport, as for the governer, the different consuls and ambassador are already talking with him. BTW the only one wasting my time here is you with your everlasting trolling.

Ivan - not quite sure why you think they have done what is required - the two existing companies have both bought and paid for concessions to operate at the airport, Mook Andaman have not. Whether or not we agree with AOT's system, it is what it is. Mook Andaman appear to want to be able to operate without paying any license fees (they suggested a couple of thousand per car per month to join the legitimate businesses) which is far lower than it would be if their bought a proper concession. In addition, I would guess it is highly unlikely their drivers are paying the correct amount of income tax on their existing earnings.

I have plenty of friends in Thailand who run legitimate businesses, both Thai and foreign. They all have to pay rent for properties, buy operating licenses for food and alcohol (where needed), pay taxes, pay for staff insurance etc etc

This is what a legitimate business has to do anywhere in the world, including thailand. Buying a car, setting yourself up as a taxi driver and demanding to take business away from legitimate companies by thuggery and protesting does not make you "honest"

Ivan - not quite sure why you think they have done what is required - the two existing companies have both bought and paid for concessions to operate at the airport, Mook Andaman have not. Whether or not we agree with AOT's system, it is what it is. Mook Andaman appear to want to be able to operate without paying any license fees (they suggested a couple of thousand per car per month to join the legitimate businesses) which is far lower than it would be if their bought a proper concession. In addition, I would guess it is highly unlikely their drivers are paying the correct amount of income tax on their existing earnings.

I have plenty of friends in Thailand who run legitimate businesses, both Thai and foreign. They all have to pay rent for properties, buy operating licenses for food and alcohol (where needed), pay taxes, pay for staff insurance etc etc

This is what a legitimate business has to do anywhere in the world, including thailand. Buying a car, setting yourself up as a taxi driver and demanding to take business away from legitimate companies by thuggery and protesting does not make you "honest"

More taxi=more competition=cheaper fares for the people that need it most.

• Like 1

You just dont get it do you?

There's already a huge over supply of taxis, all thats happened is fares, already the highest in LOS continuing to increase..not get cheaper.

'the people that need it most.'

IMO this line directly relates to the 'average'' Thai people..and is a truism, [they do need it the most] but this immediately shows how flawed your statement is..How often does your ''average'' Thai person afford to use a taxi/tuk-tuk on Phuket?

It would take a full days average Thai wage to travel 5 klms..that is not going to happen..is it?

There are many construction sites searching workers... So no problem to make an income...

That would be earning an honest income. They don't want that sort of job. smile.png

What is not honest? They have done what is required by them and they aren't given an option to work. If you're talking about pricing then there are set fares at the airport. If you cant afford it then get a minivan. SIMPLE!

It's called "collusion" and "monopolising." Look it up in the dictionary. That's what makes it dishonest.

These guys just want in on the lucrative transport rip off of tourists coming to Phuket.

The Phuket transport gravy train. :)

• Like 1

Wrong.

Income will go down for all the drivers because there are now more taxis - so, the price goes up to keep the same level of income.

More taxis means a thinner wedge of the pie for everyone.

You are confused with a free market economy where competition drives pricing. It doesn't exist on Phuket in relation to transport.

My original feeling was "lock them up" but then I wondered about "The grounds of Phuket Mai Khai Company’s consistent refusal are that the vehicles the illegal Mook Andaman drivers are using do not meet the standards required by law." Just what are these standards? A universally agreed to level of rip offs?

"Income will go down for all the drivers because there are now more taxis - so, the price goes up to keep the same level of income." This makes as much sense as the explanation I get from bars that raise their prices because they have fewer customers.... IF there is a free market (I know, I know).... competition will drive out many of the taxis if there are too many now. Supply and demand. But licenses are a means to get that kickback, not to enforce any standards. And those kickbacks are passed onto the demand side (customers), which is probably why we get so frustrated with lack of competition, artificially high prices and shoddy service.

My original feeling was "lock them up" but then I wondered about "The grounds of Phuket Mai Khai Company’s consistent refusal are that the vehicles the illegal Mook Andaman drivers are using do not meet the standards required by law." Just what are these standards? A universally agreed to level of rip offs?

"Income will go down for all the drivers because there are now more taxis - so, the price goes up to keep the same level of income." This makes as much sense as the explanation I get from bars that raise their prices because they have fewer customers.... IF there is a free market (I know, I know).... competition will drive out many of the taxis if there are too many now. Supply and demand. But licenses are a means to get that kickback, not to enforce any standards. And those kickbacks are passed onto the demand side (customers), which is probably why we get so frustrated with lack of competition, artificially high prices and shoddy service.

I never said it made sense - it's just the Thai way of business. :)

I guess they don't understand the concept of 'ILLEGAL'. Look at the dangers they pose to tourists - one tried to rape a young Chinese tourist just last week and the police attempted to sweep it under the carpet -

Illegal Phuket Taxi Driver Tries to Rape Young Tourist

A while ago a tourist fell either out of the back or off the back of a tuk-tuk in Patong. The story was in the PG and on this forum because he was seriously injured.

It was only then, through the media, that I discovered ALL tuk-tuks where you get in and out of the tuk-tuk from the back, are illegal. Supposedly, they all should have a side entry and exit.

Nothing being done about these "illegal" vehicles on Phuket. :)

Here is a resolution for them: Put all 30 of these illegal taxi drivers into the same small jail cell. Take a picture of them in the cell and give it to the Phuket Gazette with a promise to do the same to all the other illegal taxi drivers that can be rounded up. Post a 1000 baht reward for the delivery of any illagal taxi driver to the jail. Make sure there are empty cells, sit back and wait for deliveries to arrive. :-)

• Like 2

Here is a resolution for them: Put all 30 of these illegal taxi drivers into the same small jail cell. Take a picture of them in the cell and give it to the Phuket Gazette with a promise to do the same to all the other illegal taxi drivers that can be rounded up. Post a 1000 baht reward for the delivery of any illagal taxi driver to the jail. Make sure there are empty cells, sit back and wait for deliveries to arrive. :-)

I have a better resolution.

Install meters and signage in and on the vehicles. Check the background of the drivers for driving and criminal offences, and if they have neither, issue them a taxi licence and tell them to drive up and down the coast, on the meter - just like what happens in EVERY other major tourist destination in the world. :) :)

The airport drivers will soon me lining up for it and the tuk-tuk drivers will be selling their tuk-tuks to buy a metered taxi.

More money for the drivers, safer air-conditioned cars for the customers, less traffic, less death and injury. :) :)

Strange how the "resolution" is just what is the norm anywhere else. :)

• Like 1

Install meters and signage in and on the vehicles. Check the background of the drivers for driving and criminal offences, and if they have neither, issue them a taxi licence and tell them to drive up and down the coast, on the meter - just like what happens in EVERY other major tourist destination in the world. smile.pngsmile.png

The airport drivers will soon me lining up for it and the tuk-tuk drivers will be selling their tuk-tuks to buy a metered taxi.

More money for the drivers, safer air-conditioned cars for the customers, less traffic, less death and injury. smile.pngsmile.png

Strange how the "resolution" is just what is the norm anywhere else. smile.png

However, no money for the bosses of the "associations", so this plan would never fly. Good idea though on an island where corruption wasn't so rampant

Install meters and signage in and on the vehicles. Check the background of the drivers for driving and criminal offences, and if they have neither, issue them a taxi licence and tell them to drive up and down the coast, on the meter - just like what happens in EVERY other major tourist destination in the world. smile.pngsmile.png

More money for the drivers, safer air-conditioned cars for the customers, less traffic, less death and injury. smile.pngsmile.png

Strange how the "resolution" is just what is the norm anywhere else. smile.png

However, no money for the bosses of the "associations", so this plan would never fly. Good idea though on an island where corruption wasn't so rampant

It's actually not a good idea - it's just "normal" for all major tourist destinations, around the world. :)

Maybe they could make the "flag fall" (the initial cost to hire the taxi) higher on Phuket than anywhere else in Thailand. This money could go to the corrupt bosses of the "associations" to allow it to happen.

They could call it "The Phuket Taxi Levy" or "The Phuket Transport Tax" or "The Phuket Taxi Fee." :) :)

I guess they don't understand the concept of 'ILLEGAL'. Look at the dangers they pose to tourists - one tried to rape a young Chinese tourist just last week and the police attempted to sweep it under the carpet -

Illegal Phuket Taxi Driver Tries to Rape Young Tourist

A while ago a tourist fell either out of the back or off the back of a tuk-tuk in Patong. The story was in the PG and on this forum because he was seriously injured.

It was only then, through the media, that I discovered ALL tuk-tuks where you get in and out of the tuk-tuk from the back, are illegal. Supposedly, they all should have a side entry and exit.

Nothing being done about these "illegal" vehicles on Phuket. smile.png

This is true, and the excuse used at the time was that it was too expensive to modify the rear entry ones to side entry..

Lately the more affluent owners are using larger Suzuki pick ups modified to tuk tuks.......and all have illegal rear entry that i have seen...law enforcement is a joke...

Ivan - you need to read my post again - I did not say I supported the current situation, I said "it is what it is"

AOT has issued two concessions which cost millions of baht. The new company want to charge customers the same fares without paying the concession fee, and I suspect, without paying any income tax or business registration fees either. My point was very simple, and clearly went over your head, that if Mook Andaman want to operate at the airport they need to buy a concession from AOT and become a legitimate business

I did not say the current system was fair or good, as I just mentioned, I said it is what it is.

Maybe Mook Andaman would like to become an honest and legitimate business

Maybe one day you will understand how to read a post or perhaps even the basics of economics in phuket

I doubt either will happen any time soon ;-)