Beggars On Walking Street.

bigwilly

I was amazed yesterday Tuesday as I watched a street beggar on Walking ST, while sitting at my favorite table in a well known bar on Walking Street I noticed the very small elderly lady with twisted legs and body sat on her cushion with a walking stick mid Soi, I realized she was doing quite well with donations so I timed 10.00pm to 10.05pm and saw her take in 280.00Bt plus some coins, puts most of the local bar and hotel staff well behind her earnings wise, she did have to scarper into a small side street a few times when the City Council (Police) walked by. However I did see her 2 minders standing by outside 711, ready to relieve her of her hard earned gains. Not bad if she can take in around 3,000Bt per hour low season!

BW.

theres another guy further up, lost the bottom of one leg, walks with no limp and with trousers on you wouldnt know. he doesnt even have to scarper when the police walk past. they have obviously been instructed to let him do it.

If anyone was to do as manxninja says he does in Liverpool keep you're ears open for a succession of whistles and don't wonder off down any alley ways on you're own.if in pattaya get on you're knees and pray!!!

This might sound harsh but I don't contribute to their income....unless they are selling something, like the Walking Street Thai guy in the wheelchair selling flowers. He has been there for decades.

The other beggars around Pattaya are placed there daily by their controllers. It's a scam.

So many of the female beggars rent out the baby or young kids that they sit with, just to get a sympathetic donation from those who don't know the real situation.

It was a few years ago that a lady boy was walking around the bars begging, with a baby in his/her arms.

I also remember a one legged, very untidy Walking Street beggar, who limped around on a crutch and stood in front of drinkers, with a sad look on his face and his hand held out for a donation. He did well.

I saw him during the day, dressed neatly and well groomed, entering his expensive car. From that day on I always gave him a wink every time he was on begging duty standing in front of me with his hand out.

• Like 1

This might sound harsh but I don't contribute to their income....unless they are selling something, like the Walking Street Thai guy in the wheelchair selling flowers. He has been there for decades.

The other beggars around Pattaya are placed there daily by their controllers. It's a scam.

So many of the female beggars rent out the baby or young kids that they sit with, just to get a sympathetic donation from those who don't know the real situation.

It was a few years ago that a lady boy was walking around the bars begging, with a baby in his/her arms.

I also remember a one legged, very untidy Walking Street beggar, who limped around on a crutch and stood in front of drinkers, with a sad look on his face and his hand held out for a donation. He did well.

I saw him during the day, dressed neatly and well groomed, entering his expensive car. From that day on I always gave him a wink every time he was on begging duty standing in front of me with his hand out.

I think most people know this but instead of giving money to beggers, go in a Seven Eleven and buy them a carton of juice, milk...food item. This way you know the money will not go towards their addiction or mafia man.

• Like 1

If I regard most beggars to be part of a scam, (which I do) why would I want to buy them anything, including food?

I do feel sorry for the very elderly beggars, the beggars with a seriously deformed body, the genuinely blind beggars, the beggars who try to earn a living by playing an instrument whilst begging, and on occasion I will drop some money into their cup, but if everybody contributed generously to all of them, we'd have beggars everywhere.

• Like 1

How I hate sitting at a street cafe when Blind Freddie with a microphone and amplifier comes along and stops at my table to entertain me with one of his favourite Issan songs. Always accompanied by a minder.

I'm sure some people give him money to get rid of him. I just pretend to ignore him (difficult to do coz the sound is excruciating) until he gets the message and moves on.

Edited by Radar501
  • Like 1

Sorry Rimmer, I just hate violence against anyone.

I do agree with buying food if they are hungry and depending on the way I feel and where in Thailand I am, I don't mind handing out my change.

Many years ago there was an old lady used to beg on the footbridge across Sukhumvit by The Landmark ( before the MTR was built), she died in her dilapidated apartment. When she was found and police searched they found bank books with several million Baht in them, makes you think, did she get that from holding a cup out each day? and if so,then i am in the wrong job.blink.png

I once visited India and begging there is carried out on a truly industrial scale. Many fellow tourists were moved to tears and distressing sights were common place at any tourist attraction. The good local advice we were given was along the lines of: "If you feel you want to donate, then do so through charitable organisations and NOT directly to the beggars themselves". As hard as it is to ignore what you see in front of you I do believe it is the best way. A few years ago in England I was unemployed and attended a government course to help get me back into work. A lovely young lady was also on the course, recently out of prison for fraudulently collecting money for "charities" in pubs and clubs in the area. She swore that she would never ever go back to her criminal ways. A year later I'm back in employment and stopping a couple from going sour and who should come into the pub with her charity tin c/w fake I.D.....?

All of the market places have beggers now also. I see some Thai giving them some coins, but I wonder who is bringing them to the market, and who is taking them away. I would be a nice U-Tube subject, but could also be quite dangerous. Im sure the handlers are connected, so you would need a very loooooong lens to photograph them.

Always been aware of the huge sums they can take in as the OP has observed. Watch any beggar or singer for more than a few minutes and you'll realise that their earning capacity is huge. I estimate that it is not unreasonable for a beggar in WS, Beach Road, or Jomtien to make in excess of 5,000 baht per shift - they're not going to make 3,000 an hour as the OP calculated, but still a handy sum.

Watch the dude that scurries up the beach with no legs - seen him make 500 baht in 5 minutes and then come back up the beach 2 hours later not remembering who he's already scammed and looking for more. His cup is virtually empty.....but watch him carefully and you'll see him squirrelling the notes away into his pockets, and then meets his minder occasionally who discreetly relieves him of his "donations".

Seen the 2-week millionaires give some of the beggars 100 or 200 baht many a time - they think it impresses their "dates". w00t.gif Idiots!

• Like 1

Beggars are all over Thailand. The gang beggars are mainly in the tourist areas, they are put there by the scammers. My wife and her friends give to the ones they know are doing it tough and they are usually Thai beggars and not all of them get cash either as they know who the scammers are. The others, Cambodians and the like, they don't give to at all, as this cash is taken off them and pooled to the gangs that bring them here.

I never give to beggars, not my problem and I don't care, but I sometimes give to the drunk bums sleeping on the sidewalk.. If they don't ask for anything I might slip them 20-40b or buy some siam sato and a pack of cheap smokes at the nearby 7/11.. always puts a big smile on their faces :D

I can also back this up. Near where I live there is a gent who leaves his house (on Beach rd mind you!) With crutches neatly tucked under his arm off to work he goes to beg. He is doing very well.

I often feel it better to tip the road sweepers early in the morning as they are honest in their work and would be grateful for a tip and acknowledgement of their efforts.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app