Walen School - Teacher Training + One Year Thai Work Permit, 49,960 Baht

In post # 248, BangokokBurning states,"I've never read any trusted post boasting of Thai language prowess gained at Walen."

I'm not here to defend MacWalen, nor his school. But, I am saddend to see such vitriol exacted at both him and his school. I posted in an earlier post of this topic that I had attended Walen school for about 1 year. I had also attended another major Thai language school for about 1 year. In comparing the two, I found the Walen school to be better for 3 simple reasons: 1) Walen teachs you to learn the Thail script right off the bat (the other school I attended used transliteration); 2) the class and office physical facilites were much better; and, 3) the way that the classes were structured (going around the class and having to read the Thai in the book in front of your classmates) pushed me to study before the class (there's a bit of a pressure to know the material since you need to read in front of the class). I got pretty good at reading Thai back then which helped a lot when being outside the class. I'm a visual learner, and when a Thai person said something to me I didn't understand through hearing him/her, I asked them to spell the word and instantly could understand the word. Unfortuntely, I haven't kept up on my retaining the Thai alphabet (it does take continuous practice). But back when I was in Walen's school, I got pretty on top of it.

Now, I have a Ph.D in Health Edcation, and was an adjunct professor for 3 universities back in the U.S. over a span of 10 years or so (teachinng online classes). I also received a CELTA certificate from a major, well known CELTA certificate school in Bangkok. So, I'm not unfamiliar to the principles of education, including with learning / teaching a foreign language.

If I were to go back to a Thai school, I would without hesitation go back to Walen (at least his branch In pattaya where my experience was a good one). I had stopped going to his school in the past because I got a job (a non teaching job that paid at least 3 times more than an English teaching job would have here in Thaland), and the job was not located in an area of Thailand that Walen had a school. Otherwise, I would have continued with learning at Walen. In 10 days, I wil be going to become a monk at a forest monastery here in Thailand. So, even though I am no longer working, I can't go back to Walen to learn more Thai (otherwise, I would). What I pevious learned at Walen will continue to help me while living in Thailand, as it already has.

• Like 2

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is OBEC.

Indeed, not for all teaching is a teaching license and thus a degree required. Basically for elementary and secondary schools you need a teaching license or waiver, but for language schools or universities for example no teaching license is required.

So one doesn't need a degree to get a WP to work in a language center?

Correct. Although some labour offices/immigration offices might think differently.

• Like 2

It is OBEC.

Indeed, not for all teaching is a teaching license and thus a degree required. Basically for elementary and secondary schools you need a teaching license or waiver, but for language schools or universities for example no teaching license is required.

So one doesn't need a degree to get a WP to work in a language center?

Correct. Although some labour offices/immigration offices might think differently.

Perhaps Thai Visa could educate them on the matter by officially contacting senior immigration and MoL officials to inform them of mistakes being made by their subordinates. :)

Edited by Salapoo

Just to reiterate.

In Thailand you need at minimum a bachelor degree to be a teacher. If said degree is not an education degree then you will need to take and pass the 4 krusapa tests. That's the facts.

Didn't think that was correct. Only for schools administrated under, is it OPEC, or OPTEC, or something. The branch of the MoE that governs government, but not all, educational institutes in Thailand.

I know a few people legally teaching with no degrees, and not done through simply 'knowing someone' in the MoL or MoE. smile.png

Agree the facts are the facts but we also know in Thailand that you can have any teaching certificate or University degree certificate faked and they rarely if ever check it especially if it's overseas. They generate these documents daily for foreigners in Bangkok on Khoasan Road (spelling), cost around 500-1000 baht and they typically look just as good if not better than an originally issued document; stamps, stickers, everything is flawless and they don't even hide the fact they are doing smile.png, you just walk down the street and there they are will examples and ready to take your order.

And when found out it is arrest, being brought before a judge and sentence and after doing some time in prison being deported.

They don't take it lightly when you use fake documents.

Agree but this happens what every couple years when they want to do a sweep because of complains smile.png... It's not a constant enforcement of standards like most laws here that are selectively enforced, it's Thailand, just the way it is... I will admit I don't condone any of it but it is still happening and the police have not shut it down.

Edited by commande

A long time ago now my wife was attempting to teach me Thai but became frustrated with my inability to reproduce the required "tones".

We agreed that it might be better if I enrolled at a school. We checked what was available locally and chose a school which offered a free "trial" lesson.

When the school discovered that my wife wished to sit in on the trial lesson the offer was rapidly withdrawn !

We later discovered that the majority of the Thai "teachers" had no formal education beyond, at the best, the age of 15-16 !

Needless to say we concluded that some (most?) of these language schools have little to offer and in reality are mere "visa mills"

I now speak tolerable Thai which sometimes causes amusement because my "tonal" pronunciation remains poor !

I will be eternally grateful to my wife who persevered despite my limitations!

• Like 1

A long time ago now my wife was attempting to teach me Thai but became frustrated with my inability to reproduce the required "tones".

We agreed that it might be better if I enrolled at a school. We checked what was available locally and chose a school which offered a free "trial" lesson.

When the school discovered that my wife wished to sit in on the trial lesson the offer was rapidly withdrawn !

We later discovered that the majority of the Thai "teachers" had no formal education beyond, at the best, the age of 15-16 !

Needless to say we concluded that some (most?) of these language schools have little to offer and in reality are mere "visa mills"

I now speak tolerable Thai which sometimes causes amusement because my "tonal" pronunciation remains poor !

My mrs gave up with me. sad.png BUT, she says I speak perfect English that she can understand cos l taught her Oxford of course. She has a problem with any other non Oxford English speaker. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Transam

Thank you ! I have not laughed so much for a long time ! ----

I wonder how many others can understand and appreciate the humour ?

Maybe that clip could form the basis of the curriculum for "English language schools" in Thailand !?

I think there are requirements to being a teacher. At the bear minimum, a bachelors degree is required. What Mac seems to be offering is a course to improve teaching skills and not any other qualification. If your goal is to be a better teacher, then this course may work for you. There really is nothing wrong it. However, Mac's passion for his product seems to be putting the horse in front of the carriage.

• "We are offering teacher training in the use of our unique teaching system for 49,960 baht, and in addition to that we will also provide a one year work permit."

Considering he made this statement on the ThaiVisa forum (full of global skeptics) and inside the "Thai visas, residency and work permits" forum, it came out as a bit dodgy. However, if Mac's intentions were "trolling" for the purpose of keeping this thread at the top of all other discussions, then you have to give him credit for succeeding. It's a pretty good marketing strategy. 8 pages of gripes and complaints can attest to that. Chances are some were moved to apply. If this were the only place Mac advertised, then it might be risky. However, ThaiVisa is only one of many places I have seen Walen School of Thai.

If Mac's teacher training is as good as his marketing strategy, then it might be a pretty good course. (if my theory of why he advertised like this is correct).wai.gif

Richard, it is not just training but also a work permit. I have to look at someones educaition etc. but I believe most would qualify.

Sorry Mac...I didn't mean they would be working for you. I was speaking general about teaching English in public or private schools in Thailand. "Usually" a bachelors degree is required to get a work permit. Obviously, even if they took your class, it would be a lot harder for someone to get a work permit with only a high school diploma....but not impossible.

Sorry but it seems I am a bit dense.

If someone wishes to avail themselves of MacWalen's "teacher training" why would they need a work permit if their status is that of a student ?

Again, why don't people PM him and ask him this. He didn't say visa. People keep saying visa. Ed visa.

He said work permit. He knows what a work permit is. He also said this is something he is adding, not what he had before.

Now if a man who's been here for 12 years, runs such a business, has permanent residency he says, and is perhaps pretty creative asks you to PM him for help in getting a work permit, for the life of me I can't understand why someone doesn't.

He may have a legal angle. He just might know something or somebody. Or, maybe he's a total fraud.

All the clucking of hens in a forum aren't going to get the real questions answered and it's apparent he isn't going to answer them in a public forum.

Who knows what he is, but yet what if he's on to something?

He's pretty vague but I would be too in a public forum if I'd figured out an angle for work permits and wanted to sell it for 50k baht.

What would it cost to PM him as he asked, and find out what the offer is, really?

Edited by NeverSure

I am very confused .

If I wish to study in Thailand then I need an EDU visa ---is this correct ?

An EDU visa does not allow one to work -----Is this correct ?

So how does this issue of a "work permit" seem to be tangled with a claimed Education programme ?

I am very confused .

So how does this issue of a "work permit" seem to be tangled with a claimed Education programme ?

PM the guy and ask then let us all know, I don't think anyone here except the OP has any clue but generally yes is the answer to your first 2 questions.

No, you can study on any visa, even a visa-exemption. You don't need an Ed Visa to study here.

Yes. One does not need an Ed visa to study this, or any other course.

Though studying some courses can can you an Ed Visa.

If on an Ed visa I believe you can only legally work if it is some sort of training for the course you are studying, but generally you cannot legally work on an Ed Visa.

It seems, though Mac is very quiet on it, that upon completion of the course people will be offered a teaching position with the company that will then sponsor them for a yearly WP.

The details of this employment offer don't seem to have been announced.

Edited by Salapoo

I am very confused .

In answer to the third point, if you read the opening post Walen is offering a teacher training course, after which he says he will get you a work permit, presumably to teach. So this has nothing to do with his Thai learning courses.

Thats how I read it.

15 pages of crap. You don't like him? Fine. He's in business (and apparently doing very well). You like him, he's happy. Pay/don't pay for his offering. As Thai's say Up To You. Please close and lock this thread.

15 pages of crap. You don't like him? Fine. He's in business (and apparently doing very well). You like him, he's happy. Pay/don't pay for his offering. As Thai's say Up To You. Please close and lock this thread.

Why would the thread be locked ? Walen is a sponsor, this is free advertising for him...

My mrs gave up with me. sad.png BUT, she says I speak perfect English that she can understand cos l taught her Oxford of course. She has a problem with any other non Oxford English speaker. whistling.gif

Didn't think the Oxbridge type had Mrs. THought they all batted for the others.

What is he offering though? I think that's what most people would be interested in learning.