Is There A "real Deal" Chinese Restaurant In Pattaya ?

DavoTheGun

By Real Deal I mean the traditional Chinese, Ducks Tongues (Should be plentiful) Sea cucumber, Sweet and Sour dishes, Cow Mein etc etc.

Don't tell me about China Garden, Len Kee they are really Thai. Also would be interested in BKK also as an option, have not found there either.

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to frequent a very good one on Lang Suan - even had turtle soup! Opposite Cape House (if memory serves) about 400 meters down on the left if coming from Chidlom. They don't speak much Thai so be prepared to pidgin Eng/Thai - I recommend the spiced mutton...

In Pattaya, I've been told to try the one on Pattaya Nua next to the petrol station (Bang Rak)

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Sweet and sour?

I lived in Hong Kong for many years, the only place you ever saw "sweet and sour" anything was in the hotel coffee shops.

I have been to a few "Chinese" restaurants in Thailand. Stick to Thai food is my best advice.

• Like 2

Sweet and sour?

I lived in Hong Kong for many years, the only place you ever saw "sweet and sour" anything was in the hotel coffee shops.

I have been to a few "Chinese" restaurants in Thailand. Stick to Thai food is my best advice.

Not meaning to be pedantic, but also lived in Hong Kong for some time, Cantonese food features many sweet & sour dishes, but probably some of the best Chinese Food is in Australia, fresh food & clean. But really looking for a change, love Thai food but also Italian, French, Swiss, Greek, International, NOT Russian, German, But want the real thing not the Thai take on everything, if you know what I mean!

Sweet and sour?

Not meaning to be pedantic, but also lived in Hong Kong for some time, Cantonese food features many sweet & sour dishes, but probably some of the best Chinese Food is in Australia, fresh food & clean. But really looking for a change, love Thai food but also Italian, French, Swiss, Greek, International, NOT Russian, German, But want the real thing not the Thai take on everything, if you know what I mean!

"Sweet and sour pork" is a Hong Kong invention. Cantonese food is characterised by fresh, simple, flavours. Some ingredients sourced in Australia are far better than their Hong Kong equivalents, for example, beef and some seafood, and most vegetables, that is true.

My favourite cuisine in Hong Kong was Chiu Chow. When I moved to Thailand I assumed that I would be able to find some good Chiu Chow restaurants ("Taechew" immigration having been so important), but, alas, nothing. Having said that, some Thai dishes show Chiu Chow influences.

I suspect that the Chinese who emigrated to Thailand were more intent on making money than running restaurants, and adapted to (and caused the adaption of) Thai cuisine pretty quickly. Certainly all my local friends of Chinese ancestry are totally happy to eat Thai food, except when they travel to Hong Kong for shopping.

• Like 1

Doesn't Leng Kee have duck tongues? I think they do. Not a fan of the place. It is a Chinese Thai.

Pao is good for some specialized items ... handmade noodles, ribs stewed in vinegar, hot and sour soup, Shanghai and Hong style dumplings (NOT really a dim sum place though.) Some sweet and sour if you really need it and its done Chinese style, not Thai or western style. Pattaya Klang down the street from Leng Kee, across from the indoor stadium. If you want to try: GO THIS WEEK. (Closed Mondays.)

Also very worthwhile is Shanghai restaurant, 3rd road not far from Pattaya North. Hand pulled noodles. Good vegetable dishes. As far as the most robust menu doing real deal style regional Chinese food, I'd say Shanghai. No duck tongues.

That said overall Pattaya is very weak on Chinese food.

I don't count the fancy overpriced hotels. I am only interested in more everyday options.

Edited by Jingthing

mate, where in Thailand can you get real Chinese food anywhere, it is all the thai equivelent and is usually pretty woeful. I have given up on looking for a Chinese restaurant full stop.

• Like 1

mate, where in Thailand can you get real Chinese food anywhere, it is all the thai equivelent and is usually pretty woeful. I have given up on looking for a Chinese restaurant full stop.

That isn't really true. There are real Chinese places in Bangkok where the waiters don't even speak Thai ...

Is it San Francisco or Hong Kong? No. But there are places.

Edited by Jingthing

Anyone been to "The Chow Box" on Pranumnak road? Looks like American Chinese place: red, green roof, columns, etc.... says "Western Chinese Food".... perhaps like stuff when I was growing up in USA... Hersey and all that, sort of like "Asian comfort food"... and of course the test is: do they have fortune cookies?

Anyone been to "The Chow Box" on Pranumnak road? Looks like American Chinese place: red, green roof, columns, etc.... says "Western Chinese Food".... perhaps like stuff when I was growing up in USA... Hersey and all that, sort of like "Asian comfort food"... and of course the test is: do they have fortune cookies?

It is specifically BRITISH style Chinese food. There have been reviews here. The gist seems to be small portions, overpriced, OK replica of British Chinese food. I wouldn't go to such a place but there it is!

I would guess there's around 100 of them!!!!

100 real deal Chinese places in town? Not a chance.

I would suggest looking for places that don't have the name in Thai or Roman script.

In Pattaya, most of those would be purely Thai Chinese. No way can those places be called real deal Chinese food. This isn't Bangkok (and sadly Bangkok isn't Singapore for Chinese food). This is a really POOR city for Chinese food lovers. As Chinese is my favorite type of food in the world, that is definitely sucky.

That said, there are some options, but mostly not very wonderful options. Forgetting the fancy hotel places which aren't viable for most expats as regular places, for example there is a Sharks Fin place near Royal Garden Mall. It's menu is largely Chinese Chinese. The trouble is the food is not anything to write home about. For example, try their Ma Po Tofu. (WEAK.) More like don't try their Ma Po Tofu.

I have posted about a number of options over the years and the posts are probably mostly still there. For example the oddball Yunnan/Sechuan place on 3rd road ... NOT the Shanghai place. There was a Yunnan place in Naklua I posted about. There are few Chinese places in Pattaya that I would go to if I lived in San Francisco, except Pao because they really do have some special stuff, and also the Shanghai place if it was on my block ...

If anyone has any real deal leads that I haven't heard about, SPEAK UP! I'll be all over them.

On Thai Chinese, I haven't been there in a long time but there is a Thai Chinese place on 2nd road, east side, north of Klang with a big sign showing a CHICKEN. Their spicy oil steamed house CHICKEN dish is quite nice as is their morning glory.

Edited by Jingthing

I would guess there's around 100 of them!!!!

Name them or your post is BS !!!!

I reckon for someone who hasn't actually actively been searching for these real deal Chinese targets in town for many years now, it might SUPERFICIALLY appear to be so. But trust me. It is not so.

And that is why when I go to San Francisco in 3 weeks I will be eating Chinese & Mexican food galore. I have to agree both venues here are not only near non existent but the quality or portions just are not there. Sometimes it is hell just to find re-fried beans . Even Macro has been out.

Unfortunately Pattaya is no where close to San Fran on any level in the food dept.!sad.png

Thanks Guys, think the best option is to just give up! wait until back in Aus next year!!

I know what you mean. There are no real China food here, further to add, even the Thai-Chinese know less about

chinese foods here which just amazes me. Well I found one Chinese restaurant in Sukhumvit, near BTS Asoke

station, I believe the the restaurant is in the Times square building (sorry, the name) doesn't surface at the moment

but the food was pretty authentic.

And that is why when I go to San Francisco in 3 weeks I will be eating Chinese & Mexican food galore. I have to agree both venues here are not only near non existent but the quality or portions just are not there. Sometimes it is hell just to find re-fried beans . Even Macro has been out.

Unfortunately Pattaya is no where close to San Fran on any level in the food dept.!sad.png

I can think of a few areas Pattaya competes with SF:

Thai food

Korean food

Isaan food

Insect cuisine

I'm told that the biggest chinese restaurant in the world is the Dragon restaurant on Bangna Trad north / west bound very near to BITEC

SC

Not sure of the "biggest" but imho well worth the visit if you enjoy the genre.

Edited by Dap