Went To The Market Today... 100% Increase....

pattayadingo

lemoncake, chicken liver stick price increased 5 baht. That is all that happened. If you say 'Oh, the price of food doubled', sure that sounds horrible. But since the chicken liver was only 5 baht, maybe new cost of 10 baht isn't all that outrageous?

You earlier posted how we wouldn't like if cost of beer at 7/11 went from 30 to 60. Of course we wouldn't . But that is not a fair example, cos if beer goes from 30 to 35, increase of 5 baht, we would not panic, and that happens all the time to cost of things. Chicken guy also raised the price by 5 baht.

When i say 'I can't believe we are discussing this' it was a reply to poster who suggested maybe chicken liver vendor should give us few more peaces of liver, since he raised the price to 10 baht.

Wow, these people still don't get it. Look, its about hyperinflation, its allowing prices to go out of control because too many numb skulls just go ahead and pay whatever these jumped up little street vendors decide they deserve.

You say just 5 baht. But its an extra 5 baht for a bite. These are bite sized snacks. They just doubled the price. If you went to a bar and they said, "hello falang, now you pay for beer by sip, okay mister? One sip 5 baht, ok mister"? Then, as its just 5 baht per sip, they tell you the next day "hey falang, i must to put up my price today, now 10 baht, okay mister falang? you very rich and thailand very cheap, now one sip 10 baht, very cheap, okay mister...you pay 10 baht or you get out my bar and I boxing you".

Still okay, just 5 baht extra per sip. is that OK?

And by the way, its not just 5 baht sticks. Last time I was in Pattaya a little place in Soi Post Office raised its chicken fried rice price from 30 baht to 60 baht. I got caught once, never again, they aren't the Marriot, they are a little side street Thai style restaurant. If enough people vote with their feet and don't go back then maybe they won't be so quick to hike their prices again, they might even put them back down again. On the other hand if every idiot falang just pays up then every place wil also raise their price to 60 baht and before you know it it they will find some lame excuse to hike again and it will be 100 and then 150 in a couple of years or so. Price rises in Thailand and especially Pattaya have been huge in the past decade and its all because idiots have been alkowing them to get away with it.

Now do you get it?

You tell them Paddy. Today its chicken sticks doubling from 5 baht to 10 baht tomorrow who knows where it will end.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost all, go visit any gogo and ask for prices, then compare it to past prices.

Or check out on line personals and see what rates are being asked

I have friends who go to bars in walking street and similar places and they baulk at the prices quoted in walking street.

That is why similar bars off beach road do well. May also be why the 'coconut girls' get the trade they do too. LK Metro is also more popular now with people I know.

Being asked for 2000 Baht + a bar fine in walking street when you can and used to get it for a lot less.

If customers are willing to pay over the odds and not look elsewhere, the girls will continue to charge that amount.

So, yes, I agree with Bookman, the prices have increased. In some cases I've heard of they have more than doubled.

Almost all, go visit any gogo and ask for prices, then compare it to past prices.

I have friends who go to bars in walking street and similar places and they baulk at the prices quoted in walking street.

That is why similar bars off beach road do well. May also be why the 'coconut girls' get the trade they do too. LK Metro is also more popular now with people I know.

Being asked for 2000 Baht + a bar fine in walking street when you can and used to get it for a lot less.

If customers are willing to pay over the odds and not look elsewhere, the girls will continue to charge that amount.

So, yes, I agree with Bookman, the prices have increased. In some cases I've heard of they have more than doubled.

So now we are getting to the real issue your 'friends' have with pricing in Pattaya.

I can and now will go to a different stall if and when I want one of these bite sized snacks, simply because this one - that I have used quite regularly in the past has doubled the price.

I did the same late last year with one of the egg vendors in the market who put her prices up a lot. Now I regularly use another vendor.

It is not about the cost of the item(s) but the % increase.

It seems there are many who would happily pay double price for something. Well, to me, anyone willing to pay double is a fool unto himself. Me? I'd rather give my custom elsewhere where they tend to be fairer over the prices.

The stall on Khao Talo that sells roast chicken, sausage and other items put her prices up yet her base prices had risen so that is fair enough She did not raise her prices by 100% though.

If one 7/11 started charging 20 Baht for a 10 Baht size bag of crisps, I'd go to a different shop.

Sometimes shops, markets and bars do not learn their lessons.

Bars in particular who decide to up their prices and then they wonder why they lose customers. These customers then do not go back.

Anyway, up to you if you are willing to pay double price or an excessive price. I am not :)

So now we are getting to the real issue your 'friends' have with pricing in Pattaya.

How do you work that out?

I was using that as yet another example.

You see, we talk about a variety of things over a beer from subjects like politics and the high rate of the Baht vs our / their own currencies, the next F1 race, or more recently the attack on the soldier in Woolwich.

Diversity is the key.

English (British), Aussies, Germans, Austrians and othjer nationalities, it is surprising how many have similar concerns in life.

you seem to fail to understand the matter at hand. OP is not complaining about the 5 baht, no doubt its not going to break his bank.

Point he is making is price doubled.

My examples are fair examples because the % increase is the same, the actual amount is not the issue in this discussion. and OP

so you argument is that 5 baht increase to 10 is doubling the price? Sure, no argument there. But the amount plays a role. If 5 baht snack price has to slightly increase, it is logical that it goes to 10. When you say beer price increase from 30 to 60 is same thing. it really is not. Other than math, it is not same thing at all.

Now you gonna say amount has nothing to with anything, and price doubled. It is not outrageous at all. If price had quadrupled, I would share the disappointment with op.

So when you keep parroting doubled doubled doubled, finish the thought with 'doubled from 5 to 10'

you seem to fail to understand the matter at hand. OP is not complaining about the 5 baht, no doubt its not going to break his bank.

My examples are fair examples because the % increase is the same, the actual amount is not the issue in this discussion. and OP

so you argument is that 5 baht increase to 10 is doubling the price? Sure, no argument there. But the amount plays a role. If 5 baht snack price has to slightly increase, it is logical that it goes to 10. When you say beer price increase from 30 to 60 is same thing. it really is not. Other than math, it is not same thing at all.

Now you gonna say amount has nothing to with anything, and price doubled. It is not outrageous at all. If price had quadrupled, I would share the disappointment with op.

So when you keep parroting doubled doubled doubled, finish the thought with 'doubled from 5 to 10'

Well unless you know different mathematics to what i know, 5 to 10 is double.

No amount plays a role because we are not discussing the price, but price increase and it is double

Well unless you know different mathematics to what i know, 5 to 10 is double.

No amount plays a role because we are not discussing the price, but price increase and it is double

LOL

Prices go up on street food in 5 baht increments - have always done in the time I've been here and probably always will in our lifetimes. End of story.

Fantastic thread, really glad I checked the forum!

sleep.pngsleep.pngsleep.png

and you willing to bet your pension on it?

I did but they put the cost of chicken sticks up to 6 baht each - at 5 baht per stick Pattaya was the better option at the time so I left.

If only I'd known what was going to happen!!!!!!!!!

Try the troll land, you may find you will fit right in and fill like at homethumbsup.gif

Familiar story...

I used to order food at a great little restaurant in Pattaya and take it home in bags to eat with the Mrs.

I'd been doing it for months, until one day the "husband" of the woman that run the place happened to be there..

I ordered my usual take-away food which always came to 120 baht.

But the "husband" said in Thai "Charge the Farang 200 Baht"

I of course replied in the Thai language using such words that I can't repeat on this forum... and walked away leaving the cooked food there.

They lost a good customer!

• Like 2

Familiar story...

I used to order food at a great little restaurant in Pattaya and take it home in bags to eat with the Mrs.

I'd been doing it for months, until one day the "husband" of the woman that run the place happened to be there..

I of course replied in the Thai language using such words that I can't repeat on this forum... and walked away leaving the cooked food there.

<deleted>! You'd have been thrashed where you stood...

• Like 2

Familiar story...

But I am Ex-SAS and know the chief of Pattaya Police and got Thaksin's Dubai mobile number!

I've never had a cyber stalker before, congratulations!

Familiar story...

But I am Ex-SAS and know the chief of Pattaya Police and got Thaksin's Dubai mobile number!

I've never had a cyber stalker before, congratulations!

So you can talk the talk but do you walk the walk? biggrin.png

Back on topic please before 'the say whatever you want on Pattaya forum' hands out warnings for trolling sad.png

According to you, maybe not the opinion of the guy and maybe he don't care at all if you purchase it or not.

I think if you like something and the price is OK for you, buy it, if not, don't buy it, if you think the increase of a product is OK, continue to buy it, if you consider the new price too high, walked by, not up to the customer to tell a seller what price he should ask and which one he shouldn't, eventually you can tell him why you don't purchase it anymore, but the final decision is his.

At least that's my way of thinking and doing, and one can agree with it or not.

According to you, maybe not the opinion of the guy and maybe he don't care at all if you purchase it or not.

I think if you like something and the price is OK for you, buy it, if not, don't buy it, if you think the increase of a product is OK, continue to buy it, if you consider the new price too high, walked by, not up to the customer to tell a seller what price he should ask and which one he shouldn't, eventually you can tell him why you don't purchase it anymore, but the final decision is his.

I agree with the OP. The issue is hyperinflation. At what point will YOU notice? how about a 100 baht small coconut?

I wanted to buy one at the beach and they aIsked for 30 Baht. It was 20 Baht a year ago. This is absurd unless there has been

a coconut tree pandemic. I walked away,

I've also noticed that nobody seems to be selling them any more so maybe people have just had enough and stopped buying them.

Hopefully they will lower the price as happened with chicken price hyperinflation in Argentina.

Familiar story...

Not entirely on topic but, We live in Chumphon, the wife has house in phra padeang, motorcycle costs 20THB to her house to and from phra padeang. One day on a return trip home a guy tried to charge me 50 THB on arrival as I was farang (I questioned him and heard I him say farang price ok to of the local moto guys outside the apartment, this backfired as the resident moto guys told him "to b****r off his Mrs lives here he understands Thai blah blah blah" luckily before I even had to say anything .......I just gave him 20 THB and that was it

never had a problem from this day on any of my visits, so it does prove as in the above case the odd git will try it on!

Bugjackbaron, this may sound stupid, but for the last year or so there has been a big shortage of coconuts. and the price of the cartons of coconut milk in the supermarkets has almost doubled.

You will mean a fictitious created shortage to drive up the price.

jbrain, well i guess that maybe so, but 2 of the wifes brother in laws worked at a place where they prepare coconuts ( chopping off the hairy crap) and both of them have been laid off.

OK, so there has been some disease hitting the Puckett area coconut trees , a Google swatch shows. That was in 2011.

But our local market charged 23 Bah now and the beach side sellers 30 so I still think there has been SOME unjustified inflation on the part of many beach side sellers - a few honest ones still charge 20 or 25.

I agree with the OP. The issue is hyperinflation. At what point will YOU notice? how about a 100 baht small coconut?

I wanted to buy one at the beach and they aIsked for 30 Baht. It was 20 Baht a year ago. This is absurd unless there has been

a coconut tree pandemic. I walked away,

I've also noticed that nobody seems to be selling them any more so maybe people have just had enough and stopped buying them.

Hopefully they will lower the price as happened with chicken price hyperinflation in Argentina.

I feel the same way about the sudden huge price hikes, but you have to consider that sometimes the price has been the same for 5-10 years. Had an annual 1-2 Baht increase been made, the new high price would probably have been reached a couple of years ago.