Phuket To Bangkok On Scooter

chicoelnino

Can be done but I would not do it (Not in Thailand)

Which country outside of Thailand would you reccomend travelling from Bangkok to Phuket?

go through Burma?

I drive behind you, if you find a way and also suitable Motorbikes to do that Tour! thumbsup.gif

easy enough if you stop every 100km or so but trying to do it in one hope would kill most people behind.

if you take 5 days or so and enjoy the trip down, i think it would be a great trip. you can stay in beach places on the way to surat then go though Kao Sok on the way to pkuket

Phuket - Ranong - Chumphon or vice versa, is much nicer scenic route than the other,

a bit more short, but not so interesting and with heavy traffic riddled, Main Way near Surath Thani. thumbsup.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

what makes me laugh is the guys with the super bike and touriers, they got GPS, panniers, backup, all the gear, they plan for months, take it so seriously, then some guy on a whim, says "<deleted> it, i'm driving to bangkok on my 20 year old ,110cc clapped out old scooter" no fanfare, no B/S, just a skateboard helmet, bag of crisps and a pair of flip-flops, now thats some achievement!!!!! coffee1.gif

That made me smile. Thanks.biggrin.png

On that route, no real preparations necessary, with most times only a single Main road available, special when you drive the Ranong possibility,

not much chance to get lost or that you do not find a helping hand for a Scooter, Motorbike in trouble. thumbsup.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

You can even do it by bicycle, There is a Dutch company where you can book individual bicycle trips through SE Asia, the package consists of plane ticket+transport for the bicycle, and a booklet with all the information about which roads to follow and where to stop for the night. Their most grueling option might be the one called "The great challenge" - going from Bangkok to Singapore by bicycle in 6 weeks.

one thing to think about is the main road south isn't too bad but if you go back north there are many pot holes that can swallow a scooter whole. the worst spots are between chumphon town and the prachuap border and then again between prachuap town and kui buri

• 9 months later...

have ridden with my beloved Honda Wave three times between Phuket and Surat Thani. Not all the way to Bangkok, but could understand the feeling.

[...]

Guess it can be done easily in 4 or 5 days, plenty of time left for nice experiences on the way. I did a tour like that not so long ago: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1026

i can drive on my pcx for a couple of hours easy without getting tired. its a very comfortable scooter, but the only down side of it i would say for a long distance trip is, it has no ground clearance. very easy to ground the engine and crank case in a big pot hole or something. i would probably weld a steel plate under ther if i was going a long way.

i'd love to try a big cross country trip on the pcx sometime but the wife insists on 4 wheel and aircon. guess i'd have to go khon diow (that would be the real fun part!)

Edited by stevehaigh

Did Phuket to BKK last year on my CBR 250. No problems, Took 2 days and chose the route that ran along the Burma border. Great trip til after Hua Hin, where it is all sucidal highways. Could be done straight through in a pinch, but 2-3 days is more relaxing.