Australia Recognized Third Gender

webfact

Same sex marriage is just the beginning of this type of stuff.

Oh please. They are very different issues. I don't think you are being fair. There would be no gay marriage dispute if same sex couples were granted the same rights as opposing sex couples. This is quite different than some intersex people asking that a new sex type be created.

In any case, I'm going to take a curtsey and bow out on this discussion.

...or maybe we are all just men, women and in between as we go through our day and switch back and forth through our emotions lightening fast. Maybe we should have three ID cards - one for each - and present them as the emotions strike us? The physiological gymnastics and ludicrous nature of this will all become apparent when all discrimination is removed and we all realize that human behavior is inconsistent with this issue when we consider the unreliability of the affects of testosterone, estrogen and endorphins and that they do not define us for who we are right now... at this very moment; because really, that is all we are capable of doing; is living in the now, and not the next or the before.

This issue is really like fools chasing the wind to me, and I believe that one day we will come full circle and everyone who wants a penis, or to have one removed will realize that how they appear outwardly should not affect how they feel about themselves inwardly. Take the ones who are born with deformed limbs for example, and how they cope and have successful lives.

It has nothing to do with sexual reassignment, but mental contentment, and no surgeon can help you there. I am open to, and I welcome any suggestions on this view.

Good for them. The third sex are people too. Though I must admit zie and hir sound pretty stupid if you ask me.

How about, "They are people" and let's simply dispense with the sex thing. Isn't that for pleasure and procreation only? Mentioning the word "gender" also rings of selfishness; that a person is upset with the cards they have been dealt and want to appear outwardly as different than what they were born with. Isn't that like getting a new car if you can afford it? So, why do people get a new car? Do they really need a new car, or are the banking institutions simply greedy to get customers and the advertisers simply greedy to make one feel not worthwhile to ply their agenda? I submit the reasons are much the same, as I don't give too much credit to people who wish for sexual reassignment and then decide the next day (figuratively speaking) they aren't comfortable with that. It really corrodes the issue of the day, and supports my view that most people these days don't know much about being happy before making a life changing decision like this; simply for gaining outward appearance.

What's next?

Not much!

That's the point. This means NOTHING except to a tiny minority. How about live and let live?

Fine, then can we please stop remaking things over to satisfy a very small group. If someone wants to identify as asexual, good for it. There is always a dominating aspect in an intersex person. If it is a masculine predisposition, then the intersex is male etc. This doesn't mean there is discrimination or any denial of human rights. That person can identify with whatever group he wants, but a behavioural desire doesn't change the physical reality.

You speak Spanish don't you? In Spanish, all nouns are either masculine or feminine. el jardin - garden - masculine, la Universidad - university, feminine.The same for the French language. Le cheval is masculine for the horse. Ma jambe - My leg, and even though I am a guy, my leg is feminine. No one bothers the French or the Spanish speakers to remove gender from their language. It only seems to occur with English.

And in German, all nouns are either masculine, feminine or neuter, i.e. der, die or das. So that's it then, we should all speak German.

Not sure why this would bother anyone.

It's something a tiny minority might find useful in their lives and something that won't make a bit of difference to everyone else.

Like legalized gay marriage, but a much TINIER minority.

You don't NEED to understand it.

It doesn't change your life ONE BIT either way, so why not!?!

Personally I don't have strong feelings about the need for this in Australia or anywhere but it is such a trifle, I just don't get the objections.

OK! It's the voice of wisdom, I have have not the slightest objection and if it can relieves a small minority, humanly speaking why not... on the other hand I claim the right to have a good laugh at it in private cheesy.gif

"Australia recognized third gender". It is generally easier to recognize that with Caucasians. I have been living here over 12 years, and must admit at times I have failed in my recognition that she is/was a he. Live and learn.

Edited by Emdog

Even those humans born with both male and female genitalia will be either female or male.

Doubtful.

See here: http://www.isna.org/faq/conditions

First, women wanted to be treated like a man in women's lib movement.

Then, women wanted to be a man.

Now, they want to be a man, but recognized as something previously unclassified.

What's next?

Germaine Greer clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

So there you are. For me that is quite simple. If you have male sex organs you are a man, and if female sex organs you are a female. Unless they have some deformities but I assume this is not the case here. What about passports? Will they get N for neutral? Or what is the name of the third sex. Do they have a name for it yet?

+1

A correction to the headline and subsequent erroneous statements that this is Australia. It is Sydney New South Wales, not Australia. The state courts of NSW do not make commonwealth law for the rest of the country or impact the laws of the other states and territories.

Cheers

Er, when I last looked, NSW was part of Australia, and a court in NSW makes Australian law. The higher courts of the States are highly influential in all States and, indeed, in Federal jurisdictions. The basis of the English legal system is we see what the other courts say in similar (applicable) circumstances and, depending on a huge array of circumstances, allow their decisions to influence our decisions accordingly.

So what happens if two "non-gender" individuals get together and have a child (assuming that's possible) or have previously had children? How does the child refer to his/her/zies/hirs/its parents? Mum and Dad would appear to be ruled out as they are gender specific terms.

Oh I know........Mumzie or Mumhir, or Dadzie or Dadhir....depending on which way the parents or the child feel orientated.

The world has gone to hell in a handcart, it really has - it all started with the replacement of manhole with personhole. Political incorrectness for the sake of political correctness.

Do they still call the place where the pilot sits a cockpit? coffee1.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

Ridiculous.

Yeah, the only ridiculous thing about it is that it took them so long.

Those 'third gender' people exist, it's a fact of Nature. Whether they like it or not is their business.

Legal recognition of the fact so late is a reflection on the Australia and its Legal System.

First or last - they are slow thinkers. laugh.png

Ancient Greeks were smarter smile.png

I refer you to my previous post.

• Like 1

So what happens if two "non-gender" individuals get together and have a child (assuming that's possible) or have previously had children? How does the child refer to his/her/zies/hirs/its parents? Mum and Dad would appear to be ruled out as they are gender specific terms.

Oh I know........Mumzie or Mumhir, or Dadzie or Dadhir....depending on which way the parents or the child feel orientated.

The world has gone to hell in a handcart, it really has - it all started with the replacement of manhole with personhole. Political incorrectness for the sake of political correctness.

Do they still call the place where the pilot sits a cockpit? coffee1.gif

They will have to move the letters around on Mum and Dad, so I suppose they will have to call them Mad and Dum.

• Like 1

oh, i tought they ment ALIENS.... we farangs as aliens in this country do not even get basic human rights (as to live with your family), without the yearly begging at immigration officices and that can change whenever they feel like

Edited by belg

New South Wales is just one state in Australia and doesn't represent the whole country. The heading "Australia" is misleading and should read "An Australian State" Nothing really changes on a Federal level passports, social security, income tax etc. Nothing will change until the Federal Court or the High Court which are the courts of the land make a decision. These courts can actually overturn the NSW Supreme Court decision as they are higher courts and the courts of the country.

The decision in the Supreme court in NSW can be used in arguments in the courts of other states but is not binding outside that one area of the country. The person will still be known as male outside the borders of NSW.

I am only merely pointing out that this is not the country Australia but only a tiny piece of the country.

Edited by chooka

Australia is yet again ahead of the curve.

It is not Australia, N.S.W is a single state it is silly to throw all the states and territories into one basket because of the actions of one.