Being Disrespectful To An Immigration Officer = Permanent Denial Of An Ed Visa Extension

The grumpiest Immigration Officers that I have experienced in a lifetime of World travel have all been American.

But this isn't about American immigration officers, is it?

yes, no diversions and no America bashing! let's stick to discussing the behaviour of a stupid Farang towards a Thai immigration officer.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some people just don't get it do they?

I'm not surprised at the outcome!

I agree with everything the OP said except for one thing. I can never accept that we are guests in this country. We have to report every 90 days, to a lot of us Thaivisa members, it puts us to a lot of inconvenience when it should be enough to report once a year, we are only tolerated because Thailand needs our money, I can never accept we are guests in this country as long as we are treated like this, but I will accept it and never abuse it as I would still rather live here as in the UK.

Nobody expects that the applicant will bootlick or beg, but ordinary politeness, and even some small measure of respect, yes respect, isn't too much to expect, is it? It shouldn't be part of the immigration officer job description that they have to put up with insulting, aggressive behavior like this. If it were me behind the desk, I'd be wondering, too, if a guy who behaves this way is someone who Thai citizens should have to tolerate among them.

You're confusing issues. Applicants shouldn't be disrespectful to officers, and also, officers shouldn't be disrespectful to applicants.

I totally agree, we NEED to show respect to officers EVEN if/when they show disrespect to us for no rational reasons, and YES, that does happen sometimes whether the rose colored glasses set accepts that or not. They do not NEED to show respect to us.

OK, some of you may be very lucky or have very limited experience, perhaps at a small office without any twisted officers. So it's perhaps understandable you might conclude incidents where officers are unjustly disrespectful to applicants never happens, but that would be faulty logic.

My apparently raw-nerve-hitting use of the phrase 'kowtowing attitude' was merely a bit of literary flourish to indicate showing RESPECT. When deserved and when not deserved, because if officers show us disrespect for no good reason, they don't really DESERVE respect as human beings, but we still should give it for our own sake because of the POWER situation.

I obviously never questioned that the applicant story in the OP, assuming it is accurate, behaved in such a way that the consequences weren't sadly deserved.

Nope, not confusing anything. Quite focused on the OP's behavior and what anyone who behaves that way should probably expect in return...

I agree that the matter of respect should be a two-way street. Frankly, I sort of think "respect" might be the wrong word here, as I generally consider "respect" to be something earned, even if, and to the limited extent perhaps, only by the fact that one party is wearing a uniform or otherwise vested by the government of the country with special responsibility. Yes, he's got a job, and I must "respect" it. So while I consider a certain amount of "respect" to be due a legitimate uniformed officer by default, simple "courtesy" is possibly a better word and something I'd say the officer has a right to expect from me.

I've often been treated "curtly" by these immigration officers (no smile, nothing said, no return of greeting, eye contact limited to the photo inspection, etc.), but I don't think that rises to the level of "disrespect", and whether it does or not "courtesy" demands that I be prepared to accept it as the inconsequential thing it really is. Now EVEN IF a situation occurs in which the immigration officer really IS over the line with me, it's just plain stupid, as a visitor especially, to react in kind and much more stupid to raise the verbal ante. If I want to travel in foreign countries I had BEST learn how to deal with "stuff" like this. Whatever the OP's situation with the ed visa, I wouldn't blame the system for blacklisting him for his behavior if it can. Let him then go through whatever wickets he has to, demonstrating whatever humility, patience, and "courtesy" necessary, to try and get off of it. It doesn't sound like he's yet learned to handle life's little wrinkles very well.

• Like 1

Some people just don't get it do they?

I'm not surprised at the outcome!

I agree with everything the OP said except for one thing. I can never accept that we are guests in this country. We have to report every 90 days, to a lot of us Thaivisa members, it puts us to a lot of inconvenience when it should be enough to report once a year, we are only tolerated because Thailand needs our money, I can never accept we are guests in this country as long as we are treated like this, but I will accept it and never abuse it as I would still rather live here as in the UK.

How much money do you think that ED visa holders bring into the country compared to the 2 week tourists who don't need a visa or to companies like Honda or Toyota who generate billions of baht of income? I think you exaggerate your own monetary importance.

What if an immigration officer is disrespectful to a forreigner? Is that behavior or sometimes even attitude a licensens for granted residency? No way! So I would say in a situation where a proffesional (immigration officer) and a client have to meet each other about sensitive matters easily some frustration on both sides can occur. The professional should be capable to handle the obvious emotions, like police officers are trained to cope with them and still within limits adress the client in a tolerant way.

A restaurant chef told his fellow cooks: Don't think we feed our guests. No, they feed us! Same with the immigration officers. If there were no forreigners in LOS they didn't have a job... So, be grateful they are here.

But in Thailand public servants don't serve the people who pay their wages, the people are there purely to serve the "public servants" and feed their egos.

Extreme views you have. There are certainly cases of abuse but overall the country works pretty well. If you want a drivers licence, passport, ID etc., efficient and reasonably fast service. Also the police does excellent job, dont tell me you do not feel safe in Thailand? Very little crime as I see it. I say not to bad at all.

I love this:

'Also the police does excellent job, dont tell me you do not feel safe in Thailand?'

Are you for real?

• Like 1

What if an immigration officer is disrespectful to a forreigner? Is that behavior or sometimes even attitude a licensens for granted residency? No way! So I would say in a situation where a proffesional (immigration officer) and a client have to meet each other about sensitive matters easily some frustration on both sides can occur. The professional should be capable to handle the obvious emotions, like police officers are trained to cope with them and still within limits adress the client in a tolerant way.

A restaurant chef told his fellow cooks: Don't think we feed our guests. No, they feed us! Same with the immigration officers. If there were no forreigners in LOS they didn't have a job... So, be grateful they are here.

But in Thailand public servants don't serve the people who pay their wages, the people are there purely to serve the "public servants" and feed their egos.

Extreme views you have. There are certainly cases of abuse but overall the country works pretty well. If you want a drivers licence, passport, ID etc., efficient and reasonably fast service. Also the police does excellent job, dont tell me you do not feel safe in Thailand? Very little crime as I see it. I say not to bad at all.

I love this:

'Also the police does excellent job, dont tell me you do not feel safe in Thailand?'

Are you for real?

I am, I feel very safe here. Walking in the middle of night in Bangkok I fear no evil. Did you have any problems? Overall crime level is very low.

Nobody expects that the applicant will bootlick or beg, but ordinary politeness, and even some small measure of respect, yes respect, isn't too much to expect, is it? It shouldn't be part of the immigration officer job description that they have to put up with insulting, aggressive behavior like this. If it were me behind the desk, I'd be wondering, too, if a guy who behaves this way is someone who Thai citizens should have to tolerate among them.

You're confusing issues. Applicants shouldn't be disrespectful to officers, and also, officers shouldn't be disrespectful to applicants.

I totally agree, we NEED to show respect to officers EVEN if/when they show disrespect to us for no rational reasons, and YES, that does happen sometimes whether the rose colored glasses set accepts that or not. They do not NEED to show respect to us.

OK, some of you may be very lucky or have very limited experience, perhaps at a small office without any twisted officers. So it's perhaps understandable you might conclude incidents where officers are unjustly disrespectful to applicants never happens, but that would be faulty logic.

My apparently raw-nerve-hitting use of the phrase 'kowtowing attitude' was merely a bit of literary flourish to indicate showing RESPECT. When deserved and when not deserved, because if officers show us disrespect for no good reason, they don't really DESERVE respect as human beings, but we still should give it for our own sake because of the POWER situation.

I obviously never questioned that the applicant story in the OP, assuming it is accurate, behaved in such a way that the consequences weren't sadly deserved.

Nope, not confusing anything. Quite focused on the OP's behavior and what anyone who behaves that way should probably expect in return...

I agree that the matter of respect should be a two-way street. Frankly, I sort of think "respect" might be the wrong word here, as I generally consider "respect" to be something earned, even if, and to the limited extent perhaps, only by the fact that one party is wearing a uniform or otherwise vested by the government of the country with special responsibility. Yes, he's got a job, and I must "respect" it. So while I consider a certain amount of "respect" to be due a legitimate uniformed officer by default, simple "courtesy" is possibly a better word and something I'd say the officer has a right to expect from me.

I've often been treated "curtly" by these immigration officers (no smile, nothing said, no return of greeting, eye contact limited to the photo inspection, etc.), but I don't think that rises to the level of "disrespect", and whether it does or not "courtesy" demands that I be prepared to accept it as the inconsequential thing it really is. Now EVEN IF a situation occurs in which the immigration officer really IS over the line with me, it's just plain stupid, as a visitor especially, to react in kind and much more stupid to raise the verbal ante. If I want to travel in foreign countries I had BEST learn how to deal with "stuff" like this. Whatever the OP's situation with the ed visa, I wouldn't blame the system for blacklisting him for his behavior if it can. Let him then go through whatever wickets he has to, demonstrating whatever humility, patience, and "courtesy" necessary, to try and get off of it. It doesn't sound like he's yet learned to handle life's little wrinkles very well.

The system hasn't blacklisted the guy. The Immigration officer hasn't the power to do that. It was just a show of temper and abuse of power by a (rightly) pissed off government official. The guy was an idiot but, If he dumps MacWalen, and applies with another school, he will get the visa. In the worst case, move to Nonthaburi and apply to Immigration there.

Edited by Arkady

The system hasn't blacklisted the guy. The Immigration officer hasn't the power to do that. It was just a show of temper and abuse of power by a (rightly) pissed off government official. The guy was an idiot but, If he dumps MacWalen, and applies with another school, he will get the visa. In the worst case, move to Nonthaburi and apply to Immigration there.

I'm afraid you are dreaming. Nothing will change if he goes to another school in Bangkok and those immigration officers service visa extensions from all the schools. In another city it might work but I don't think he can extend in Bangkok. Unless he buys flowers and chocolates and apologises. Maybe then he would be accepted but not sure. Really nothing to do with the Walen School. Not a very kind remark but I am used to it. Have a nice day.

So you think Immigration can't put a note against his name on the computer? A friend and I know an Immigration officer well and he states that they can and will put a note against any visa-seeking foreigners that play up or give them a hard time, effectively making your chances of obtaining another visa difficult or impossible. It's unbelievable some people think that the office that grants you visas hasn't the power to end your stay here! crazy.gifcrazy.gif

I have never felt like a guest in this country. Just a barely tolerated customer that will be promptly kicked out of the country like a criminal as soon as the money runs out.

Guest : a person who is given hospitality

Hospitality : the act or practice of being hospitable, this include the reception and entertainment of guests, showing respect for them, treating them as equals and providing for their needs.

Are we really living in the same country? Thailand has never done any of those things for me. As soon as my passport is stamped at the airport I am let to take care of myself alone, and at phuket's airport, it starts directly by trying to not be scammed by the taxi mafia!

I feel like an honored guest when I visit my gf's family but it has never crossed my mind that I was a guest in Thailand.

Concerning immigration officials, most have been professionals over the years, but in two separate occasion some have proven to be complete douchebags. The worst was when an officer made me sit in front of him for 30 minutes while talking with a colleague. He then asked to check my documents, pretended to study them cautiously for 5 minutes, gave them back with a big smile, saying "sorry, immigration closed, come back tomorrow" and started laughing at my face. I was fuming but unfortunately for this little sh*t, managed to remain calm. I'm sure he wanted to provide some kind of entertainment for the office, they must enjoy so much to see a foreigner snap out.

I always dress nicely and do my best to smile and be polite, because I know those guys can make my life a living hell for the power trip, or just for the fun of it. Too bad this stupid student didn't understand that...

• Like 1

Of course, the irony is that the student was after an ED Visa. One could argue that he got a short sharp (and free) education in the realities of life of far more long term benefit that anything he will learn during his formal studies....

I always dress nicely and do my best to smile and be polite, because I know those guys can make my life a living hell for the power trip, or just for the fun of it. Too bad this stupid student didn't understand that...

Thanks for your report. It rings TRUE to me. However, sadly, there are those who will simply not believe that shabby treatment from immigration officers is EVER not the fault of the applicant. Until it happens to ... THEM.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't really get why you would conclude we are "guests" in this country because of that immigration incident. It's pretty obvious the immigration police have great power over us foreigners, and it is foolish not to adopt a kowtow like attitude towards them in this culture, but I don't see the connection to the guests rhetoric.

Didn't your mother teach you that if you're a guest in someone's house you make sure that you are on your best behavior? The connection seems pretty clear to me.

I agree with you about what my mother taught me about how to act when I'm a guest in someone's house.

I'll continue by saying she also taught me when I have a guest in my own house to show respect, courtesy and even generosity.

• Like 1

I don't really get why you would conclude we are "guests" in this country because of that immigration incident. It's pretty obvious the immigration police have great power over us foreigners, and it is foolish not to adopt a kowtow like attitude towards them in this culture, but I don't see the connection to the guests rhetoric.

Didn't your mother teach you that if you're a guest in someone's house you make sure that you are on your best behavior? The connection seems pretty clear to me.

I agree with you about what my mother taught me about how to act when I'm a guest in someone's house.

I'll continue by saying she also taught me when I have a guest in my own house to show respect, courtesy and even generosity.

Not sure if you are referring to me but we have helped all of our students, who required help, in difficult situations over the period of many years, forgot to get a second letter, overstay, too many visas in the passport etc.,lost paperwork, stopped at the airport, failed an exam, not enough time to process extension etc. I can assure you we take very good care of our students. This is a very unusual case, I hope Walen School will not have another like this again.

Strange, I get the conclusion.

Surely the fact that we are in fact guests here means that we should also have no expectation of receiving an extension.. it is not our right..

totster :)

I have never felt like a guest in this country. Just a barely tolerated customer that will be promptly kicked out of the country like a criminal as soon as the money runs out.

Hospitality : the act or practice of being hospitable, this include the reception and entertainment of guests, showing respect for them, treating them as equals and providing for their needs.

Are we really living in the same country? Thailand has never done any of those things for me. As soon as my passport is stamped at the airport I am let to take care of myself alone, and at phuket's airport, it starts directly by trying to not be scammed by the taxi mafia!

I feel like an honored guest when I visit my gf's family but it has never crossed my mind that I was a guest in Thailand.

Concerning immigration officials, most have been professionals over the years, but in two separate occasion some have proven to be complete douchebags. The worst was when an officer made me sit in front of him for 30 minutes while talking with a colleague. He then asked to check my documents, pretended to study them cautiously for 5 minutes, gave them back with a big smile, saying "sorry, immigration closed, come back tomorrow" and started laughing at my face. I was fuming but unfortunately for this little sh*t, managed to remain calm. I'm sure he wanted to provide some kind of entertainment for the office, they must enjoy so much to see a foreigner snap out.

Some foreigners from affluent countries seem to have the expectation that since they are

visiting a third world country, folks should roll out a red carpet and bow to them. This kind

of attitude is so ludicrous, ridiculous, embarrassing.

I too have always dressed nicely and have been polite, without ever thinking to try my best.

Nor have I ever worried that anyone would try to make my life a living hell.

In my 26 years in Asia, I've always been polite, never once been treated disrespectfully by

an immigration officer. But I have seen others have problems. It's very likely that their face

reveals their superiority attitude and this is understandably not well received at times.

Hilarious! If there isn't an overt reason for an officer to treat an applicant shabbily, let's try to IMAGINE a hidden one, because it can't possibly EVER just be an officer being rude with no good reason! I consider that kind of thinking a close relation to the Stockholm Syndrome.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Hilarious! If there isn't an overt reason for an officer to treat an applicant shabbily, let's try to IMAGINE a hidden one, because it can't possibly EVER just be an officer being rude with no good reason! I consider that kind of thinking a close relation to the Stockholm Syndrome.

I think you are confused.. it's obvious from the OP that the extendee was most probably at fault... blink.png

totster :)

Some foreigners from affluent countries seem to have the expectation that since they are

visiting a third world country, folks should roll out a red carpet and bow to them. This kind

of attitude is so ludicrous, ridiculous, embarrassing.

I too have always dressed nicely and have been polite, without ever thinking to try my best.

Nor have I ever worried that anyone would try to make my life a living hell.

In my 26 years in Asia, I've always been polite, never once been treated disrespectfully by

an immigration officer. But I have seen others have problems. It's very likely that their face

reveals their superiority attitude and this is understandably not well received at times.

I don't know if you are talking about me, but since you are quoting my post, I assume you are. As I said I never felt like a guest in thailand, but also I never expected to be treated like one and it's fine for me! I was just fed up of seeing this guest nonsense on this forum, people should open a dictionnary and check a few definitions.

I only wish visa requirement would be less drastic and stupid, considering the amount of foreign currency I drop every month in thailand's economy.

The immigration office is the only place in thailand where I feel uneasy (well maybe except for gay bars or illegal chicken fight rings). For some reason I have a feeling that I could be black listed from thailand on a whim, having to part with my gf and all my possessions. You'll see what I mean when you will be facing with an officer that for some reason want to f*** with you.

Obviously my smile is a fake because I secretly hate the immigration office and feels it is a huge waste of my time, maybe that **** officer felt that that day.

Think you have to be locked up for Stockholm syndrome! but being made to wait 5 hours could have the same affect I guess!