Stray Cat Using My Garden Beds As Her Toilet

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try leaving some food out. Then the cat may think of your garden as her home, rather than her toilet.

Holy crap, feeding her would make her move in permanently. Get a large container of cayenne powder and sprinkle it around every night. Of course, you could always get a dog.

Just one cat? Shouldn't be too difficult to dispose of its droppings. Be honored your garden was chosen. As we all know, cats are quite finicky. smile.png

It is the urine that stinks, how do you pick that up and why would you want to clean up after somebody's cat?

• Like 2

Just one cat? Shouldn't be too difficult to dispose of its droppings. Be honored your garden was chosen. As we all know, cats are quite finicky. smile.png

If it were a dog, would anyone be saying, "just one dog"?

As a dog owner, my neighbors demand i pick up after my dog, even when it does its mess in inoffensive places like public litter-filled scrubland. I have no problem with this, as it is what i'd do anyway. However, these same neigbours, some of them anyway, own cats, cats that walk over my cars and leave scratch marks, cats that kill animals and leave the remains in my garden, cats that do their business, which stinks much worse than dogs mess, in my garden.

People who chose to have cats as pets, should in my opinion be held to the same level of responsibility as us dog owners. If that is not possible to do, they shouldn't chose to have them in the first place.

This is a stray cat that's dumping in the dude's garden. No owner, I'd guess.

Anyway, it's just cat crap and dead critters. Happens in my garden on a daily basis. I just suck it up (so to speak) and dispose of it all. It's no reason for me to become all pussified. laugh.png

• Like 1

As a dog owner, my neighbors demand i pick up after my dog, even when it does its mess in inoffensive places like public litter-filled scrubland. I have no problem with this, as it is what i'd do anyway. However, these same neigbours, some of them anyway, own cats, cats that walk over my cars and leave scratch marks, cats that kill animals and leave the remains in my garden, cats that do their business, which stinks much worse than dogs mess, in my garden.

People who chose to have cats as pets, should in my opinion be held to the same level of responsibility as us dog owners. If that is not possible to do, they shouldn't chose to have them in the first place.

Anyway, it's just cat crap and dead critters. Happens in my garden on a daily basis. I just suck it up (so to speak) and dispose of it all. It's no reason for me to become all pussified. laugh.png

As all cats roam about as they please, not sure how exactly we determine the strays from the not strays.

Anyway, do you not agree that cat owners and dog owners are held to a different level of responsibility in the way people demand they take care of the animal... a difference that is not really very fair... and if a cat scratched up your car, would that not annoy you, especially if the owner of said cat, was the same woman who rushed to the front of her property to glare at you, when your dog did its business in the street near her drive (not even on it), even though you were ready and at hand to pick up the mess with a plastic bag?

• Like 2

Orange peel etc works in more temperate countries but under a Thai Sun will dessicate so quickly as to be simply a way to make dirty pot-pourri or fire-lighters, dried citrus skin cut thin burns well.

The laying of cut thorn laden branches is much more effective, spray with a can of colored paint if you seek to make them easy to locate when gardening.

Also having a water-pistol etc to hand and always go to chase the cat when seen will associate danger with your garden in the cat's mind (yes they learn) so will be less likely to venture in.

The scent marking, best tackled with the clear distilled vinegar sold in Big C for about 50 Baht a gallon.

My aunt used to hang small plastic bottles filled with water in her garden. Don't know if it works but apparently since cats don't like water they dont go near.

Just a idea.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Try leaving some food out. Then the cat may think of your garden as her home, rather than her toilet.

Holy crap, feeding her would make her move in permanently. Get a large container of cayenne powder and sprinkle it around every night. Of course, you could always get a dog.

"Holy crap" biggrin.png - very good!

I had some village cats that started dumping in my garden and peeing against the plant pots. After unsuccessfully trying to get them to stop - throwing stones, flip flops, water - I decided to leave some food out near the gate.

Now they come to eat, stay a while and go off somewhere else to do their crapping and peeing. The place is now theirs and they stop other cats coming in and fouling it up.

The male is waiting on the door mat for me right now.

post-35489-0-54187500-1370660504_thumb.j

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/616010-the-village-cat/

• Like 1

As all cats roam about as they please, not sure how exactly we determine the strays from the not strays.

Anyway, do you not agree that cat owners and dog owners are held to a different level of responsibility in the way people demand they take care of the animal... a difference that is not really very fair... and if a cat scratched up your car, would that not annoy you, especially if the owner of said cat, was the same woman who rushed to the front of her property to glare at you, when your dog did its business in the street near her drive (not even on it), even though you were ready and at hand to pick up the mess with a plastic bag?

An owned cat usually has a collar. And in Thailand, more often than not, it's a collar of the Doraemon type (with a bell). ^^

I do agree that cat and dog owners are held to different standards. And that's as it should be. Cats relieve themselves in secluded, out of the way areas (like peoples' gardens). Dogs crap/whizz wherever they might be when the mood strikes. (Sidewalks/footpaths seem to be a favorite place.) I think a big part of your problem is with the glaring woman. Did you talk to her?

My aunt used to hang small plastic bottles filled with water in her garden. Don't know if it works but apparently since cats don't like water they dont go near.

Just a idea.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A popular method here in Japan involves filling empty 1 liter clear plastic beverage bottles with water and placing them around "protected" areas. Though, I have my doubts about this method's efficacy.

Rixalex, I fully agree with you, and also have the same problems, I do not understand why there is a different standard for cat & dog owners. The cats here find that a clean car ( especially one just washed) is a perfect place to sit, hence scratches paw prints etc. but the owners simply say " oh well it is a cat" I do not know the solution yet as I do not wish harm on any living creature, but do you think the owners will be offended if I left a pressie on their doorstop for the morning?

• Like 1

Rixalex, I fully agree with you, and also have the same problems, I do not understand why there is a different standard for cat & dog owners. The cats here find that a clean car ( especially one just washed) is a perfect place to sit, hence scratches paw prints etc. but the owners simply say " oh well it is a cat" I do not know the solution yet as I do not wish harm on any living creature, but do you think the owners will be offended if I left a pressie on their doorstop for the morning?

It's bit of a pain, time wise, but a powerful water pistol usually has a good effect but it takes a while until the cat decides somewhere else is more comfortable to 'go' in. You don't need to add anything to the water just a good hard squirt hitting the cat often enough will do.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with having a cat around, feed it a little and it will take care of rats and have a go at small snakes. It will not crap near it's new acquired domain. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

There is a lovely ginger cat that used to hang around. I started putting food out for it at night and the food always goes fairly quickly, but I've only seen the cat once in ages,........as long as the cat is eating it and not those pesky pee's. biggrin.png

Edited by uptheos

Mothballs work well for a while. As someone e me tioned Cayenne pepper, I use this mixed with the strongest vixol and water to spray the road outside. The dogs seem to have moved elsewhere!

Wouldn't have mentioned it if it didn't work.

Do apologise but I didn't see anyone suggesting mothballs, checked your posts, still cann,'t

An owned cat usually has a collar. And in Thailand, more often than not, it's a collar of the Doraemon type (with a bell). ^^

I do agree that cat and dog owners are held to different standards. And that's as it should be. Cats relieve themselves in secluded, out of the way areas (like peoples' gardens). Dogs crap/whizz wherever they might be when the mood strikes. (Sidewalks/footpaths seem to be a favorite place.) I think a big part of your problem is with the glaring woman. Did you talk to her?

Nothing in any of that that explains why a cat can scratch my car, defecate richly smelling crap in my garden, and deposit dead and mained frogs and other animals, but a dog can't. Both four-legged animals with two eyes and a nose, but made to live by a different set of rules for no other reason than a dog can be controlled by its owner, a cat can't. If you can't control a pet, don't buy it in the first place. And if you insist of buying an animal you can't control, take responsibility for its actions. Like when it scratches someone's car, offer to pay for the car to be repaired. Don't you think that is fair?

My problem isn't with one glaring woman, it's with the vast majority of cat owners, who, like you, demand i control my pet in a way that they don't control their pet.... why? "well because it's a cat, and they love their cat, and cats will do these things blah blah blah". Yeah, that explains it all.