Thailand's English Skills Lowest In S E A

Lite Beer

K. Noi - I see you are still firing shots willy-nilly.......you don't seem to realise you don't actually have an argument -

To make a criticism you need to understand the situation.

i think your attitude and reasoning to your own second language education is telling too as it shows you have given scant thought as to why anyone should learn a second language. You seem to prefer to cling to simplistic black and white "answers" as you don't seem like to dig any deeper than that.?

statement like

"Students do not know English when they graduate," - is patently nonsense

"If family and friends point out issues relating to the inability of educated professionals to speak, let alone communicate in, English, it's reasonable to wonder why the system failed them." maybe but it it not a basis for sweeping "judgements" - about the Thai education system as it relates to EL.

Al ot of what you say is simply repeating what others have said but you don't seem to understand why.

I think one of the main problems with any eductation system is that anyone and everyone thinks they are an experts - when in fact they don't have even the most tenuous grasp of the issues involved.

It is interesting to note that the same peoploe often take the compoete OPOSITE - stance when given advice about medical matters and seem prepared to accept the advice of any tom Dick or Harry so long as they have a white coat.

To any reasonable person an argument needs to be based not on a single viewpoint but on a rational analysis of as wide a range of views and theories as possible.

I really don't feel after reading some of the above posts that many of the opinions voiced here even qualify as an opinion - they are just random blurtings based on little more than gossip. consequently they can really do nothing to extend anyone's understanding of the situation.

I assume you've calmed down now.

I am entitled to an opinion based on what I see and hear.

Unlike others, I do not profess to be an expert on Thai education, I just observe some of the flotsam.

FACT - debsilin school CM does NOT teach effective English alongside its science program. They state they teach the basics. why? I don't know, doesn't seem a particularly beneficial arrangement for students moving on to university.

FACT - an accounting graduate working in Big C with a smartphone translation app to communicate in English.

2 distinct, possibly unique, examples, but ones I am fully justified to raise.

Don't tell me what I'm trying to do. Presenting facts is not 'being an expert'. Let the mods decide if threads are for experts only, otherwise calm down and ignore what you don't like.

• Like 1

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so long ago, Thailand had plans to put some serious effort on improving the english education all over the country, and to turn english into their official second language.

However, the plans were killed by conservative government fossils. They believed that taking English as its second official language might lead to "misunderstandings that Thailand had been colonized in the past." The minister indicated that countries in the region who have English as their second language were, in fact, all viewed as former colonies.

So yeah, Thailand avoids english because they are afraid to be viewed as a colony (the usual loss of face I guess?)

Read and laugh: http://www.eturbonews.com/19168/english-sign-colonized-country-thailands-minister-education

Idiots. Posted Image

you said it all. Except maybe Happy Idiots !

Maybe the thai smile is coming from that point...? Happy idiot . Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Not so long ago, Thailand had plans to put some serious effort on improving the english education all over the country, and to turn english into their official second language.

However, the plans were killed by conservative government fossils. They believed that taking English as its second official language might lead to "misunderstandings that Thailand had been colonized in the past." The minister indicated that countries in the region who have English as their second language were, in fact, all viewed as former colonies.

So yeah, Thailand avoids english because they are afraid to be viewed as a colony (the usual loss of face I guess?)

Read and laugh: http://www.eturbonews.com/19168/english-sign-colonized-country-thailands-minister-education

Idiots. clap2.gif

you said it all. Except maybe Happy Idiots !

Maybe the thai smile is coming from that point...? Happy idiot . Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Being colonised hasn't done Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong much harm. Thailand was never colonised because nobody wanted it. It's sole utility was to act as a buffer state between UK and French interests.

• Like 2

I've said before and I will say it again, Thailand has some competent and incompetent teachers, like everywhere, but I don't care how good a teacher is, when they are teaching to a class of 50 plus students in a room that would hold 30 comfortably, then the class is impossible to teach. There is no space to do group activities or to wander the class to see how well students are doing or help individual students. That's why when you walk by classrooms usually the students are doing an assignment and the teacher is sitting at their desk. Before any other changes are made get the class size down to under 30. Then the good teachers can teach and you can weed out the bad teachers. This applies to every subject.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

K. Noi - I see you are still firing shots willy-nilly.......you don't seem to realise you don't actually have an argument -

To make a criticism you need to understand the situation.

i think your attitude and reasoning to your own second language education is telling too as it shows you have given scant thought as to why anyone should learn a second language. You seem to prefer to cling to simplistic black and white "answers" as you don't seem like to dig any deeper than that.?

statement like

"Students do not know English when they graduate," - is patently nonsense

"If family and friends point out issues relating to the inability of educated professionals to speak, let alone communicate in, English, it's reasonable to wonder why the system failed them." maybe but it it not a basis for sweeping "judgements" - about the Thai education system as it relates to EL.

Al ot of what you say is simply repeating what others have said but you don't seem to understand why.

I think one of the main problems with any eductation system is that anyone and everyone thinks they are an experts - when in fact they don't have even the most tenuous grasp of the issues involved.

It is interesting to note that the same peoploe often take the compoete OPOSITE - stance when given advice about medical matters and seem prepared to accept the advice of any tom Dick or Harry so long as they have a white coat.

To any reasonable person an argument needs to be based not on a single viewpoint but on a rational analysis of as wide a range of views and theories as possible.

I really don't feel after reading some of the above posts that many of the opinions voiced here even qualify as an opinion - they are just random blurtings based on little more than gossip. consequently they can really do nothing to extend anyone's understanding of the situation.

I assume you've calmed down now.

I am entitled to an opinion based on what I see and hear.

Unlike others, I do not profess to be an expert on Thai education, I just observe some of the flotsam.

FACT - debsilin school CM does NOT teach effective English alongside its science program. They state they teach the basics. why? I don't know, doesn't seem a particularly beneficial arrangement for students moving on to university.

FACT - an accounting graduate working in Big C with a smartphone translation app to communicate in English.

2 distinct, possibly unique, examples, but ones I am fully justified to raise.

Don't tell me what I'm trying to do. Presenting facts is not 'being an expert'. Let the mods decide if threads are for experts only, otherwise calm down and ignore what you don't like.

your first statement sums you up - what on earth makes you think you are entitled to an opinion? What you are posting isn't opinion - opinions are based on thought, reason and analysis - none of which you have shown any indication of having even a limited grasp.

You concept of "fact" is risible and further illustrates your ignorance.

the problem here is I can't even begin to discuss the issues with you as you don't even know how to form a lucid argument on anything in the fist place.

I don't think you actually realise how ill-equiped you are to have a discussion on this matter

Naturally, I note your opinion.

Nice of you to decide what constitutes a 'valid' opinion.

If you and the prof can't submit your own contributions in your posts, perhaps you'd be kind enough to stop laying into those of other people.

I do not need to, and will not, justify the valid content of any of my posts.

The cinemas still put out dubbed soundtracks which are infinitely more popular than original

Not so sure about that one. I go to the cinema at least 2 - 3 times a month, and I don't even need to look for a show with the original soundtrack. They all have it.

For your information; I live i Phetchabun in the North East and you can not find a Original Soundtrack Movie in English, so you must be living in Bangkok or some other place where a lot of foreigners reside. It is also had to even find a original soundtrack DVD in English

It must be Petchabun - in CM I watched Monster University in English and all the (many!) trailers for a variety of films were in English with Thai subtitles.

As you say, might be a rare occasion when many Farang = benefit to Farang.

Forget the cinema which is original in the large cities, just look at television.

English cinema came to where I live about 4 years ago. I sat through star wars in Thai 10 years ago. It was painful.

Oooooh, ajarn.....

• Like 1

The cinemas still put out dubbed soundtracks which are infinitely more popular than original

Not so sure about that one. I go to the cinema at least 2 - 3 times a month, and I don't even need to look for a show with the original soundtrack. They all have it.

For your information; I live i Phetchabun in the North East and you can not find a Original Soundtrack Movie in English, so you must be living in Bangkok or some other place where a lot of foreigners reside. It is also had to even find a original soundtrack DVD in English

It must be Petchabun - in CM I watched Monster University in English and all the (many!) trailers for a variety of films were in English with Thai subtitles.

As you say, might be a rare occasion when many Farang = benefit to Farang.

Forget the cinema which is original in the large cities, just look at television.

English cinema came to where I live about 4 years ago. I sat through star wars in Thai 10 years ago. It was painful.

Oooooh, ajarn.....

Hope you've recovered from the experience. Are you still being counseled for 'Post Traumatic Stress'??

Please.......... DON'T look at television.!

Hardly designed to challenge the population. Obviously you can't have Thai TV in English and English sub-titles would be of more benefit to us, than Thais.

Mind you, apart from the news items, I think I'd prefer ignorance of their equivalent of 'soaps'!

Exposure to English must surely be of benefit. If you're obliged to speak English because the alternative is 'nothing',then surely things must start to improve?

Friend of mine worked in a small town in Japan for a few years. He is fluent in Japanese (I'm sure the language must have a formal name). When I asked him where he learnt it, he said it was just acquired during his stay. If he wanted anything, or was being told anything, he had to try to use non-verbal communication as a way of eliciting understanding. His fluency was put to good use in a department which dealt with International customers.

I've said before and I will say it again, Thailand has some competent and incompetent teachers, like everywhere, but I don't care how good a teacher is, when they are teaching to a class of 50 plus students in a room that would hold 30 comfortably, then the class is impossible to teach. There is no space to do group activities or to wander the class to see how well students are doing or help individual students. That's why when you walk by classrooms usually the students are doing an assignment and the teacher is sitting at their desk. Before any other changes are made get the class size down to under 30. Then the good teachers can teach and you can weed out the bad teachers. This applies to every subject.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If nothing else, it must be difficult to motivate students in such an environment. The opportunity for students to request assistance from teachers must be very difficult at the best of times, let alone in such a big class where the assumption may be that 'everyone else knows the answer so I'll make myself look stupid if I ask'.

With the best of effort, it must be difficult for good teachers to continue to convey the necessary enthusiasm, when they can see their best efforts negated by the environment. For instance, how long does it take to remember the names of a 'mass' of 50 students? Given 2 classes of 25 students, the interaction would reduce that problem. A student referred to by name, not number, must feel more valued.

I suppose though, that at least initially, reducing class size may just give the opportunity for the 'less good' teachers to fill the gaps.

Just some thoughts IMO.

This whole thread just shows the inability of many tv posters to read or at least fully understand English. It refers to a specific company which tests english for entrance to oveseas universities. As such it is testing a very small percentage of the Thai student population and the ones it tests are not representative of the bulk of the thai student population.

Yes it is probable that the results of others are worse than the tested cohort but other than that little can be said from this about the quality of English either here or in the other countries tested.

• Like 2

having studie thai for 12 years ,i know that thais will seldom try to undersatnd a serious conversation in thai spoken from a falang,instead they use that as an opportunity to ''correct ''us yet again...while we ( english speaking) falangs constantly ,read between the lines or fill in the blanks left with their poor english skills so we can communicate...exception being a good freind......so many falangs give up learning thai,for me i only use it when nesessary or when speaking with someone i know....example...a few weeks ago inwas at a subway,i ordered in thai,the young boy said what,i repeated, once again he said what,so i pointed.....he said to me''ho we''...i knew what he was asking ,''whole wheat'',but i decided to squeeze him like he squeezed me..andi said ''what'' he repeated ''hoo wee'' again i said what....why bother with this silly langauge....just dumb down your english.....

• Like 1

having studie thai for 12 years ,i know that thais will seldom try to undersatnd a serious conversation in thai spoken from a falang,instead they use that as an opportunity to ''correct ''us yet again...while we ( english speaking) falangs constantly ,read between the lines or fill in the blanks left with their poor english skills so we can communicate...exception being a good freind......so many falangs give up learning thai,for me i only use it when nesessary or when speaking with someone i know....example...a few weeks ago inwas at a subway,i ordered in thai,the young boy said what,i repeated, once again he said what,so i pointed.....he said to me''ho we''...i knew what he was asking ,''whole wheat'',but i decided to squeeze him like he squeezed me..andi said ''what'' he repeated ''hoo wee'' again i said what....why bother with this silly langauge....just dumb down your english.....

100% my own experience.

Thais make no effort to try to understand. IF they finally understand you, they say the words which you're convinced you said, but are obviously so dramatically different. Dumbed-down English or give up.

• 1 month later...

I work with Thais and have serious conversations in both Thai and English everyday....you have to, we're running an industry, it's a serious business, and most of the management have quite good language skills. It would seem that a large number of posters here have no experience of Thailand outside their own limited circle - e. G. Pattaya

I work with Thais and have serious conversations in both Thai and English everyday....you have to, we're running an industry, it's a serious business, and most of the management have quite good language skills. It would seem that a large number of posters here have no experience of Thailand outside their own limited circle - e. G. Pattaya

The thing most troubling about this is that Thailand appears to be losing ground in English levels cf other countries. 20 years ago, the 'average' Thai would score higher than their counterparts in Taiwan, Korea, China, Vietnam, etc. They have slipped and the program has gone off the rails somehow.

Of course it is highly variable, from absolute first rate, native speaker level in complex conversations...to the complete , total inability of English majors from prestigious universities to produce any oral language at all, They may have quite good grammar skills ( and certainly know more about English language usage rules than many native speakers) but are unable/unwilling to speak, or understand when spoken to. Some of that comes from the Thai shyness and the fear of losing face, but also, IMHO, from declining access to quality English language education.

If Thailand wants to be a bridge, a hub, a centre, a logistics hotspot, it must fix these issues and aim for some level of bilingualism ( in a range of foreign languages). Thai kids are not silly ( or at least not sillier than gen x anywhere else), and they need more support and encouragement.

I saw some YouTube clips of Thai kids speaking English as part of their lessons...very clever kids, very fluent at a young age but obviously attending highly prestious school

I get the impression that this govt doesn't realise that they are hurting the future of this generation of learners through a lack of resourcing of English language teaching/learning.

I' m no fan of Mr Thaksin but I do recall his great embarrassment when Thailand 49/50 in an international survey in research output and his reaction was to dramatically increase funding to improve that. The same needs to be done for English Studies ( and Chinese, Japanese, French)

Thais May we'll be better in reading and writer than 20 years ago, but speaking and listening, in a huge generalisation has declined

Where is your business? Doesn't sound like Chiang Mai. My wife is proud that CM is number 2 outside of Bangkok.

I think you'll find more English speakers in Pattaya than CM. I certainly find it more difficult anywhere in Muang, than I ever did in Pattaya.

I don't dispute your comment that 'you have to, we're running an industry', but do you consider that is the case in Thailand?

Does your business also have pro-active input from Thai staff? Once again, I get the impression this is not encouraged by the Thai education system.

My one example of a national group of schools teaching 1 hour of English grammar a week, via a Thai teacher with limited English communication skills is a fact.

We are moving her to a vocational college where great emphasis is placed on LEARNING, rather than teaching English.

My own impression is that Thai education is to perpetuate the concept of Thailand, rather than integrate it with the world outside. However, that is only my belief.

Whenever I think of Thailand and its future I despair. Your experience seems to fly in the face of my beliefs.

I'd be interested to know the background of your experience.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Noistar
  • Like 1

I presume you are one of the management. Of course they make that extra effort to understand you. - you're their <deleted> boss. I also have a small company here and all my workers try very hard to both understand my Thai and to politely help with my pronunciation. But go to the local 7-11 and ask for a pack of Malboro Gold ( how simple can that be) and they just stare blankly at you. Morons! with preconceived expectations - farangs can't speak our wonderful language, so no matter what he says I'll not understand him.

ASEAN is going to come as a shock to Thailand, but they'll have some laughable excuse when the time comes as to why they've become the poor man of the region.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Singapore comes in tops no surprise right there and singapore English isn't considered the best in the world obviously. I can speak 2 languages which are polar opposites of one another Chinese and English and add in a few dialects. Certainly much better than some Europeans who claim to speak a few languages that are so similar to one another like Spanish and Portuguese.

• Like 1

Singapore comes in tops no surprise right there and singapore English isn't considered the best in the world obviously. I can speak 2 languages which are polar opposites of one another Chinese and English and add in a few dialects. Certainly much better than some Europeans who claim to speak a few languages that are so similar to one another like Spanish and Portuguese.

Totally agree Snake! If you can speak Italian, then you'll pretty much understand Spanish too and Portuguese to a lesser extent. I lived in all three countries during my long career and although it was difficult to begin with, I loved when I was able to speak Italian The other two were then a walk in the park. I also agree that Singapore will be the tops in ASEAN, but no surprise there really.

In ASEAN, English will of course be the communicating language - ask yourselves why Singapore and Hong Hong have become the successes that they are? (they can communicate with the rest of the world - and thus also attract the cream of expat society)!!!!

[and okay , they had the only year round safe harbour and anchorages in the region]

Thailand will be left whistling Dixie. But then that's the farangs' fault - never been colonised, so why should they learn another language?

Archaic language with a ridiculous script!

If it (Thai) had contributed anything to civilisation (like Greek or Latin) or had some renowned literature (like Chinese) then maybe there would be a reasonable excuse for its continued use - but for God's sake, not even a space between words in its written form.

Totally agree Snake! If you can speak Italian, then you'll pretty much understand Spanish too and Portuguese to a lesser extent. I lived in all three countries during my long career and although it was difficult to begin with, I loved when I was able to speak Italian The other two were then a walk in the park. I also agree that Singapore will be the tops in ASEAN, but no surprise there really.

In ASEAN, English will of course be the communicating language - ask yourselves why Singapore and Hong Hong have become the successes that they are? (they can communicate with the rest of the world - and thus also attract the cream of expat society)!!!!

[and okay , they had the only year round safe harbour and anchorages in the region]

Thailand will be left whistling Dixie. But then that's the farangs' fault - never been colonised, so why should they learn another language?

Archaic language with a ridiculous script!

If it (Thai) had contributed anything to civilisation (like Greek or Latin) or had some renowned literature (like Chinese) then maybe there would be a reasonable excuse for its continued use - but for God's sake, not even a space between words in its written form.

To be honest the language of communication between citizens of ASEAN nations is english and not a language from around the region. This is different from say the middle east or latin america where arabic and spanish and not english are the lingua franca for the different countries in those respective regions.

Some thai people actually speak better mandarin or a chinese dialect better than english because chinese dialects are in some ways similar to thai.

In regards to the written script and no spaces i have a thai fren that writes to me in thai script and it's good that i have an electronic dict on my iphone but it's a pain sometimes to have to use the dict sometimes.

In regards to the spoken languages of europeans here's the part that is deceptive. Some of them will be boasting how they can speak a number of languages that not many people can accomplish like 4 and above and it sounds really impressive until you find out that these languages are so similar like the romance languages. Spanish, portugese, french, italian are quite similar and knowing how to speak 4 of them isn't as impressive as knowing how to speak 4 languages from totally different family trees. The problem is that some people get every defensive about this if you bring this up.

Edited by snake24
  • Like 1

I presume you are one of the management. Of course they make that extra effort to understand you. - you're their <deleted> boss. I also have a small company here and all my workers try very hard to both understand my Thai and to politely help with my pronunciation. But go to the local 7-11 and ask for a pack of Malboro Gold ( how simple can that be) and they just stare blankly at you. Morons! with preconceived expectations - farangs can't speak our wonderful language, so no matter what he says I'll not understand him.

ASEAN is going to come as a shock to Thailand, but they'll have some laughable excuse when the time comes as to why they've become the poor man of the region.

At the risk of upsetting certain posters I must agree with your comments about Thais not trying to understand Farang.

Perhaps native English speakers are more willing to drag an understanding out of otherwise unintelligible English. Perhaps it's just a mindset thing.

Doesn't excuse petrol station forecourt staff dismissing my limited Thai as "not speak English"!

• Like 1

At the risk of upsetting certain posters I must agree with your comments about Thais not trying to understand Farang.

Perhaps native English speakers are more willing to drag an understanding out of otherwise unintelligible English. Perhaps it's just a mindset thing.

Doesn't excuse petrol station forecourt staff dismissing my limited Thai as "not speak English"!

Let's face it - most of the expats in Thailand couldn't communicate effectively in their own language back home let alone here....in any language.

Edited by wilcopops

A lot of posters have descended on this thread like a pack of vultures on a carcass. Vultures are of course bald and bird brained which seems to sum up quite a few of the post here too.

The OP is about ONE survey only - how through or accurate has hardly been questioned and certainly I've seen no independent corroboration of it.

Thailand may be loosing it's lead over it's neighbours when it comes to eduction and in particular English language.

BUT

Regardless of what the "others" are doing Thailand has made great strides in eduction, especially EL over the last decade or more. All S.E. asian countries have and the prejudices and bigotry of some posters on this thread just go to show how ignorant they are about education rather than how "badly" Thailand is doing.

Thailand has problems, mostly connected with corruption and an exclusive ruling class.

I work with educated Thais and common workers all who have an open mind to new ideas, technology and some of the basics of democracy........Thailand has some of the best trained technical workers in the region and they are all keen to learn more English and their companies ae prepared to pay for this.

trying to pin the blame on the school system is quite frankly utterly facile - anyone who has learned a foreign language will know that in most cases they really get to grips with it AFTER school.

Almost ALL the criticism on this thread is based on observations by those who clearly lack the intellect or educational background to truly understand that is going on and in fact they are contributing to they owwn inaccurate picture of what is happening.

I wonder how much better their results are; than say, Cambodia or Vietnam?

I drove my motorbike over to and thru Cambodia last year. I met many people, even out in the sticks who could speak functional English. I was surprised. Most claimed to have been mostly self taught from books and TV.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font. Use Arial size 14, black when posting.

Whatt a facile post! full of assumptions and prejudices.If I were you, I'd go back read it afgain and then post something with a reasoned argument.

Edited by wilcopops

I get the impression during the short time I've been, here that Thailand's problems, such as they are, go far deeper than some know it all posters would have us believe. Yes, (I believe) there is corruption in Thailand. However, this sweeping 'ruling classes' needs clarifying.

Are we referring to what I've seen referred to as the 'amart'?

The current ruling class, (I believe), is that headed by the benevolent KT. If this is the case, Thailand's problems would appear to emanate from their own implementation of democracy.

Going back to the issue of the thread, which some posters seem intent on ring-fencing.

I daren't use the word 'opinion', as I've been told I do not meet the criteria for having an 'opinion', courtesy of K.Wilcopops.

I believe that any poster, any person, has a right to contribute to any thread without being patronised by know-it-alls. As has been said before, there are many takes on the Thai education system, not just that which K.Wilcopops has.

Government, national and local, may have views different to school heads, which may be different to teachers, which may be different to parents which may be different to students, which may be different to employers who pick up what comes out, which may be different to those without any direct connection to the system.

Who, therefore, can comment? Who is right, besides KW?

(I believe) the problem is complex, is open to debate, and if the thread allows the discussion to develop, the interchange of views can only help. Attempts to stifle the debate are, (I believe), juvenile.

My own opinion, sorry - belief, is that the Thai education system is designed to perpetuate the class society which Thai culture is built around. A system of inferiority to one's betters.

When school children are forced to wear uniforms until their twenties, it does make you wonder when they start to develop any freedom of thought, rather than following orders. Self-discipline (I believe) should be preferable to enforced discipline.

(I believe) that if you ask the question 'why' of a Thai teaching professional, or any Thai professional, the answer is likely to be a variation on 'because it is'.

Btw, WHY do Thai schools teach that 'v' is pronounced 'wee'. I realise I might be the only person to have witnessed this (pick up a teach yourself English book written by a Thai). Perhaps some superior poster can enlighten me.

As a language English is remarkably democratic - no government has ever managed to interred with it's constant development. It is in short a language of the people - whoever they happen to be - there are NO RULES only conventions.

The fact is that English exists in various forms around the world none of which are particularly right or wrong. Anyone teaching English will know this. The object of teaching is in general to get people to communicate on a day to day basis. This is usually business of some kind, but it can be specialist or academic or even literary amongst others.

To judge a nation's progress on a perceived pronunciation of one letter seems facile in the extreme. I suppose next we'll have to tell the population of Eire how to pronounce "th"?.

If you are form a valid opinion on teaching English in Thailand , you not only need to know about teaching but also about the English language itself.