Thailand's English Skills Lowest In S E A

Lite Beer

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think expats in Thailand relish this kind of survey result, but of course they aren't interested in looking into it further, much better to sit back and say "I told you so" as if they have some in depth knowledge of the cutlural ins-andouts of language leaning and a detailed knowledge of language teaching - suddenly everyone's an expert?

Singapore - ex- British colony

Malaysia - ex-British colony

Philippines - ex - US colony

Indonesia and Thailand not a lot of difference apart from the fat Idonesia had Dutch and English influences

The 'facts' are that Indonesia was a Dutch colony. Moreover English is mandatory in Holland.

The facts also are that Thailand was never 'colonised' (sic) a fact that their xenophobic masters place great emphasis on. BUT they were conquered by the Burmese AND the Japanese. (and were it not for the allies Japanese would be the official language)

And for the record English, is widely spoken in Burma, particularly by anyone who is semi educated.

And finally, Aung San Suu Kyi 'whilst not your 'normal Burmese' has a command of English that would put many Oxford grads to shame.

The problem in Thailand is that parents don't see the need for their children to learn/speak English consequently not many do/or are proficient in the language.

• Like 1

Before we dump too hard on the Thai community there is one thing i have not seen mentioned. 3 of the 5 were colonies of an English speaking country

SINGAPORE - VERY BRITISH

MALAYSIA - ALSO VERY BRITISH

PHILIPPINES - VERY AMERICAN How many bases are there or were there.

That is why they are so high actually they should be higher considering.

Thailand will not and cannot become a bilingual country thru education. Sure the kids are learning but as has been stated there is not enough English speaking organizations to further there abilities.

a studetn to me

Teacher i like English but cannot learn it.

When you leave the class do you speak English with your classmates?

Not really we are Thai

When you go home do you speak English to your parents?

no they are Thai and do not speak English.

So what you are saying is the only time you speak English is in class with me or when you see me.

Yes teacher.

@ wilcopops: no cheap thai-banging here. it doesn't matter that some countries were colonized or not. it's all about motivation and interest. plenty of good things to be said about thai, however, when it comes to "studying" they are utterly lazy and spoiled. i helped out my neighbour's kid with english. it turned out useless because "english is no fun". indeed, memorising vocabulary is no fun. one needs dedication and concentration. brainless chatting on facebook is less "silliout" ...

@ wilcopops: no cheap thai-banging here. it doesn't matter that some countries were colonized or not. it's all about motivation and interest. plenty of good things to be said about thai, however, when it comes to "studying" they are utterly lazy and spoiled. i helped out my neighbour's kid with english. it turned out useless because "english is no fun". indeed, memorising vocabulary is no fun. one needs dedication and concentration. brainless chatting on facebook is less "silliout" ...

Couldn't agree more.

The Thai government has known this for years but ... !

Four years ago when working at a Technical School in North Isan the staff were shown a video made for the government by an independant company on how ready the country was for the coming Asian Economic Group and English language was one of the points covered. In short this video slated everything and stated Thailand was not ready to compete.

At the end of the video my boss, an American educated Thai. who had been translating the main points for me was shocked because he just could not believe the government had sent out such a damning video.

I asked what he thought would be done and his response was along the lines of " very little if anything ".

But what about YL's hub in the 2015 ASEAN thing????????????????

Amusing to see all the good advice posted by people many of which will never ever speak more than bar girl slang after more than a decade of living here. And I won't exclude myself from that merry group.

Let me just say that an English language educated mass of voters is not in any present or future government's interest, unless they can fully control the Internet.

Furthermore, if all Thais could read the things that are written on this forum, if would be the end of living happily here.

• Like 2

460.000 millions speak english as nativ but 1.3 billion speak english as second or third language , so who cares !?

What exactly are you attempting to say?? Many (many) more than 1.3 billion fall into the category you describe. The Commonwealth of Nations alone has a population well in excess of your quoted figure.

I took my dog down to the neighborhood shop recently, tying it to a post outside. A car stopped and a well-dressed Thai lady got out.

She approached my dog, petted it briefly, then asked while pointing at it: "Race?"

I replied: "Yes, and very fast, too."

Edited by Misterwhisper

I have two sons, Thai American. Their English is very good, but I only speak to them in English. They both go to Thai schools, not international schools. One son is in regular class and the other is in HM the Kings class at the same school. The quality of teaching is different. in the Kings class the English teacher is from the USA. In the regular class they are Philippine or Indian.

When I came here in 1966, I was in the US Army and worked with Thais. Some of them were very fluent in English, but they were trained by the Army.

The problem with the English language usage in Thailand is oral communication and comprehension. The majority listen to the English and than translate it to Thai in their head. Professor Brown at AUA taught the total immersion program, learn by listening.

I'm sorry, but have to disagree. I have yet to meet any students from AUA who have successfully acquired Thai language in total. Now there be exceptions, but one has to consider the hundreds who enroll and then drop out. Some say the only way to learn Thai is by learning to read and write too. Case in point, the Defense Language Institute in Monterey California. At DLI, unlike AUA, the teachers are bilingual. Most US Government and military personnel who go to DLI, become multilingual. Actually, language fluency is not easy - there is no shortcut.

The problem is nothing to do with white teachers. The majority of Thais are taught by Thai teachers who are afraid to speak english (even if they could), and use Thai 95% of the time. I'm still astounded that the average government school graduate can say barely more than hello, even after 12 years of learning english. There are plenty of excellent speakers of english here, educated in private / international schools / overseas, but they are in the vast minority of all citizens.

The vast majority of well educated Thais who speak English well do not want to work in schools for a pittance ... and who can blame them?

Offer a lot more money to those with better skills - including Thai-Americans - and there may be no future need for poor teachers with 'no' skills.

As long as the Thais prefer to save face ( for whatever reson they shouldloose ?) above income.. it will not improve.

Bye-the way: loosing from Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines all with historic ties to the English language..is understandable, but.. to loose from Indonesia..

its lose, losing. LOSING.

Anyways this poorly written gem awash in the sea of non-constructive negativity really pissed me off.

Edited by joeaverage

The problem is nothing to do with white teachers. The majority of Thais are taught by Thai teachers who are afraid to speak english (even if they could), and use Thai 95% of the time. I'm still astounded that the average government school graduate can say barely more than hello, even after 12 years of learning english. There are plenty of excellent speakers of english here, educated in private / international schools / overseas, but they are in the vast minority of all citizens.

This gets to the heart of the problem with Thai teachers passing on the bad English they themselves were taught. I taught for quite a few years including university level and soon stopped being surprised at the stories the students told me of how they had learned, or not learned , in High School.

Most had never really put a sentence or two of spoken English together in class as the teacher couldn't handle it and the students knew it.

I know quite a few people who have a BA in English but from their spoken English you would never believe it.

THE #1 most common one is calling milk "mel" - Thais are perfeclty capable of pronuncgin milk reaosnably well but some text book from 10,000 years ago transliterated it as "mel" and its been copied infinitum.

I have two sons, Thai American. Their English is very good, but I only speak to them in English. They both go to Thai schools, not international schools. One son is in regular class and the other is in HM the Kings class at the same school. The quality of teaching is different. in the Kings class the English teacher is from the USA. In the regular class they are Philippine or Indian.

When I came here in 1966, I was in the US Army and worked with Thais. Some of them were very fluent in English, but they were trained by the Army.

The problem with the English language usage in Thailand is oral communication and comprehension. The majority listen to the English and than translate it to Thai in their head. Professor Brown at AUA taught the total immersion program, learn by listening.

I'm sorry, but have to disagree. I have yet to meet any students from AUA who have successfully acquired Thai language in total. Now there be exceptions, but one has to consider the hundreds who enroll and then drop out. Some say the only way to learn Thai is by learning to read and write too. Case in point, the Defense Language Institute in Monterey California. At DLI, unlike AUA, the teachers are bilingual. Most US Government and military personnel who go to DLI, become multilingual. Actually, language fluency is not easy - there is no shortcut.

There is a difference between practical bilingualism and fluency. Creating bilingualism has been proven to be far simpler if a child has some ability in two languages before 7.

Becoming fluent in a language beyond the age of 12 is proven to be extremely difficult. Start them young. However, it is also statistically proven that of you have a dual language capability before the age of 7, learning subsequent languages is far easier.

No one is talking about turning out 18 year old Thais capable of writing war and peace, but if they could put together a correct email and a PowerPoint, that would be progress.

I think expats in Thailand relish this kind of survey result, but of course they aren't interested in looking into it further, much better to sit back and say "I told you so" as if they have some in depth knowledge of the cutlural ins-andouts of language leaning and a detailed knowledge of language teaching - suddenly everyone's an expert?

Singapore - ex- British colony

Malaysia - ex-British colony

Philippines - ex - US colony

Indonesia and Thailand not a lot of difference apart from the fat Idonesia had Dutch and English influences

The 'facts' are that Indonesia was a Dutch colony. Moreover English is mandatory in Holland.

The facts also are that Thailand was never 'colonised' (sic) a fact that their xenophobic masters place great emphasis on. BUT they were conquered by the Burmese AND the Japanese. (and were it not for the allies Japanese would be the official language)

And for the record English, is widely spoken in Burma, particularly by anyone who is semi educated.

And finally, Aung San Suu Kyi  'whilst not your 'normal Burmese' has a command of English that would put many Oxford grads to shame.

The problem in Thailand is that parents don't see the need for their children to learn/speak English consequently not many do/or are proficient in the language.

Erm.. she is an Oxford graduate? ;)

• Like 2

Although this 'Assessment' was recent, the fact that Thai's are the worse in the region at spoken English is not new. Only a month or two ago we had the Thai average TOEIC results to scrutinise.

Back then and now, it's still the same problem. The whole educational system, from top to bottom, needs to be updated, planned and organised by Thai's that have knowledge of foreign teaching methods, Thai educational graduates from overseas, Europe, North America and Australasia.

Until this shake-up happens, be prepared for more blatant ignorance, continued under performing and obvious embarrassment from the 'experts' that sit in office.

my ex-neighbour, 10 year older than me, referred to me as "teacher" because i was actually willing to speak english with him AND correct him. he told me people often laughed with him because he liked studying english, didn't drink boose and liked an occasional sunbath. in other words: an atypical thai = laughing stock (pra-lààt or worse baba). this stupid group's mentality is one of the downsides here. people don't dare to be different.

• Like 2

This gets to the heart of the problem with Thai teachers passing on the bad English they themselves were taught. I taught for quite a few years including university level and soon stopped being surprised at the stories the students told me of how they had learned, or not learned , in High School.

Most had never really put a sentence or two of spoken English together in class as the teacher couldn't handle it and the students knew it.

I know quite a few people who have a BA in English but from their spoken English you would never believe it.

I was recently approached by a group of Thai students (college level - 18-19 years old) with a 'survey' project where they had to find a farang and giggle a lot. And ask questions.

I scanned the teacher's question sheet. Then spent 3 or 4 minutes correcting all the teacher's mistakes. There were maybe 20 errors in 10 simple questions. Then told the puzzled front man that he should give this back to the teacher with all the mistakes corrected, so he/she (teacher) could get it right next time.

I wonder whatever became of my corrected sheet. Sure as sh*t it never got to the teacher (face face face) and it it ever did nothing was changed (face face face)!

R

I have been to several " language " schools as a potential teacher of English and I have returned their test sheet with correct answers and corrected questions. Needless to say I didn't get offered any work ;)

• Like 2

Until Thai schools engage native English teachers to teach English, the standard will always be the poorest in Asia.

Not a hope in hell my friend. This was highlighted at my school today, when a Thai English Teacher complained about a NES teacher teaching students grammar and not conversation English.

It does not take a Rhodes scholar to work out that Singapore was an English colony so English is a second language, also Malaysia. And that The Philippines was an American protectorate so their second language American English. However as we ALL know Thailand was never conquered so knowing everything, they do not have or need English as a second language ! coffee1.gif

• Like 1