Do Not Go Fast On A Honda Click

Hello...

I have a Honda Click 110 cc and I routinely take it up to 90-95 kph. I feel pretty safe and never have any problems. I've done 1200+ kilometer trips driving 300 km per day and everything is fine. I've heard people say I should not go fast on it and not drive far on it but everything is fine. Could someone tell me why these people say this? It's not safe going this fast but is faster on a big bike? Why?

You can go as far as you want on it. But it would probably be a good idea to let the tires cool down after 300 kilometers or so.

But going fast is like loserlazer says. Plus potholes and crosswinds will throw you around more so than a bigger bike, and since there is nothing to grip with your knees it can be much less stable at high speeds.

• Like 1

One day you're gonna need to get out of trouble, fast.

Then you will probably understand why they say that.

I personally wouldn't fancy a quick need for breaking and dodging on a little feather sitting on two pizza cutters.

Edited by Salapoo
  • Haha 1

Drove a Honda Click 125 CC for holiday about one month and quite new; besides the brake and tyre issues already mentioned

noticed the frame at speeds 90 km/h up wrenches and makes it even more unstable

You can ride the Fino safely (well, fairly safely) on long trips as long as you are very sensitive to its many limitations (noted above - suspension, brakes, tyres, wheels). Personally, for touring with a little bike I would avoid small wheels, and get something like a Wave and stick good tyres on it.

• Like 1

Well 90 kph is not really that fast.

Yes the Click is a cheaply made mass market scooter

I think you got that one right. The Click is designed to sell. It is not designed to be the best motorbike of its kind. I have several new articles on my web site including the latest and that one has several more pictures I took yesterday of my Nouvo Elegance with most of the plastic removed. The reason I did this is I had to know for myself what I had already gleaned from personal experience and what I had recently read about underbone constructed motorbikes. I've driven two Click rentals. The first one was in Krabi a few years ago. It handled so badly with my girlfriend behind me that I got off and told her to drive. I was used to the handling of my Yamaha Nouvo MX in those days, a bike I replaced with my current Nouvo Elegance. Back in those days the Click was 110 cc's whereas now they are 125 cc's. No doubt they are improved. But when people start saying the new Click is better than a Yamaha Elegance or the new fuel injected Nouvo SX's, I figure it's time to do a little independent research on my own to separate out facts from the bull and report my findings back here. The 2nd Click I rented was on Koh Samet. It was equipped with dirt bike tires and at slow speeds negotiating Koh Samets ruts, and rock covered trails, it performed much better than my expectations.

What I learned online about underbones was that Honda revolutionized the motorbike industry when it first introduced its Super Cub back in 1958. To me, those things resembled girls bicycles. To kick off sales Honda had a great slogan, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". Back in those days the market was pretty much confined to Harleys, Triumphs, BSA's, etc along with such scooters as Vespa, Cushman, etc. And I do remember my dad who used to own Harleys in the 1930's telling me, "Those motor scooters are no good. They have those little wheels that offer no stability." But they were cute. They were pretty. The BSA's, Triumphs, Nortons, etc were British, typically of 650 c.c. displacement. And if I recall it was a Triumph that was Marlon Brandos motorcycle in "The Wild One," a movie that associated motorcycle owners with motorcycle gangs wearing leather jackets. Aside from offering a much better image for future motorbike owners by hits marketing slogans and Hondas excellent engines, Honda offered in its underbones a design that permitted much larger diameter wheels (16 or 17 inch) as well as an overall design that seemed to be similar to a scooter's but which in reality was decisively superior due to its metal bracing within the plastic hump between the driver's legs which replaced the traditional floorboard of the scooters.

I invite anyone who is interested in looking up underbones and do a little checking on their own. One of the things you will find is that with Honda's revolutionary Super Cub, handling was vastly improved over scooters of that era. And the reason is all those braces that anchor the front to the rear of the bike above that area where the floorboards of scooters attaches front and rear along a single axis. Now I will admit that having all that foot space on a scooter's floorboard is more comfortable and certainly it can be said that you have all that space in front of you where you can hang grocery bags. When I go grocery shopping with my Elegance that hump is in the way so I have to hang my grocery bags from the hook in front of me and then swing them to one side or the other where they can get in the way of my legs, but that's only a minor discomfort.

As to the personal experience aspect again, I recently bought my girlfriend a Yamaha Filano. It has 12 inch wheels and it most definitely is a scooter. I tried to get her to spring for a new Nouvo 125 SX knowing all too well how superior a bike it is, but she wanted the Filano. I would have told her, "Honey. You are getting either a Nouvo SX or a PCX or you aren't getting anything at all." except for the fact that I know she's deathly afraid of all motorbikes and there was no way she'd ever travel more than 2 km away from home on it. The Filano also has as much storage space under the seat as a Yamaha Nouvo, unlike another scooter offering from Yamaha, the Fino. That meant that if I ever wanted to get a larger motorbike such as a Honda CBR 250 we'd still have a bike that was suitable for shopping at the supermarket without my having to outfit the new motorbike with a luggage trunk.

When we drive the Filano (I usually do the driving) it's nearly always for very short hops to nearby restaurants or to go to the fitness center for our exercise. It's a cute machine and I'm sure it gets terrific fuel economy. It doesn't have anything like the horsepower of the Elegance, but that's okay being that it's fun to just idle along at slow speeds. But it really is grossly inferior to the Elegance. Because of its 12 inch diameter wheels it will bottom out on certain speed bumps unless I take it all the way down to about 1 mile an hour. It seems unbalanced compared to my Elegance. It certainly does not feel to be part of me. And I can actually feel a little flex in the bike due to the anchoring of the front to the bike's rear only through the floorboard. Still, it's charming. One had just better not expect too much out of it.

Let's face the facts. All those Honda Clicks, Honda Scoopy's, Yamaha Finos, Mios, and Filanos have floorboards. Each of those bikes permits too much flex in its chassis. Honda knew it had by far the superior design way back in 1958. But much later on Honda started to realize along with Yamaha and other bike manufacturers that people will buy practically anything so long as you can successful dupe them away from checking out the real facts. All those braces in an underbone cost money to manufacture. Isn't it far better to offer a lot of thin air instead of all those expensive goodies that make a bike really handle well? And while we are at it, it's certainly cheaper to offer one shock on a bike instead of two, and then we can offer a link to the past for those who are nostalgic for those old scooters, the kind that Dustin Hoffman used to drive in "The Graduate". After all, money is number one.

post-48602-0-37920700-1371010787_thumb.j

post-48602-0-44013800-1371010911_thumb.j

I think all the respondents here are big/bigger bike guys and hence all the negative remarks.

I (like many of the other 'bike guys' who have responded to this thread) have owned and ridden scooters in LOS for many years- my comments were from knowledge and experience, and had nothing to do with any negative attitude toward smaller bikes.

Just because your bike's engine allows you to attain a certain speed does not mean it's safe to do so if the other components aren't up to the task- on a Honda Click (or my own Wave), they simply aren't.

Riding a Click at 90 kph you are more likely to get hit by another road user than being involved in an accident of your making.

Saying that riding a Click at 90kph means you're more likely to be involved in an accident means that it's YOUR own making if your speed was the determining cause.

Riding a Click at 90 kph you are more likely to get hit by another road user than being involved in an accident of your making.

Saying that riding a Click at 90kph means you're more likely to be involved in an accident means that it's YOUR own making if your speed was the determining cause.
Sorry but you are taking the forum argument and the moral high ground to the extreme here. If riding along at 90 kph and minding ones own business and one gets rear ended by a <deleted> in a cage doing 130 then that is the fault of the person doing 90? Nonsense.
  • Like 1

Sorry but you are taking the forum argument and the moral high ground to the extreme here. If riding along at 90 kph and minding ones own business and one gets rear ended by a <deleted> in a cage doing 130 then that is the fault of the person doing 90? Nonsense.
It's not the 'moral high ground'- it's years of experience and knowing what I'm talking about- you're the one spouting nonsense- I'm responding to the question asked by the OP- you made a comment referencing other posters (including myself) in such a way as to try to give your opinion more validity and theirs less, rather than let what you had to say stand on its own merits (or, IMHO, the lack of them).

Riding 90kph on a Click is foolish in the sense the bike is unsafe at that speed- not because of the speed itself, but rather because it has cheaply-made tires, brakes, and suspension that are compromised at that pace- the fact that it also has an engine capable of attaining that speed is beside the point- that's why bigger and more sport-orientated bikes and cars are safer at speed- they are built to maintain stopping power and maneuverability where other vehicles aren't- that's why scooters aren't safe when ridden too fast- they can't handle the requirements of being able to do it with a reasonable margin of safety- this would be true of any vehicle ridden past its limit, be it pick-up truck or Ferrari- the only difference is in where the reasonable limit is exceeded.

Guess what? If your going 90kph on your scooter, YOU'RE probably the one who's the '<deleted>'.

Edited by RubberSideDown

It's not the 'moral high ground'- it's years of experience and knowing what I'm talking about- you're the one spouting nonsense- I'm responding to the question asked by the OP- you made a comment referencing other posters (including myself) in such a way as to try to give your opinion more validity and theirs less, rather than let what you had to say stand on its own merits (or, IMHO, the lack of them).

Riding 90kph on a Click is foolish in the sense the bike is unsafe at that speed- not because of the speed itself, but rather because it has cheaply-made tires, brakes, and suspension that are compromised at that pace- the fact that it also has an engine capable of attaining that speed is beside the point- that's why bigger and more sport-orientated bikes and cars are safer at speed- they are built to maintain stopping power and maneuverability where other vehicles aren't- that's why scooters aren't safe when ridden too fast- they can't handle the requirements of being able to do it with a reasonable margin of safety- this would be true of any vehicle ridden past its limit, be it pick-up truck or Ferrari- the only difference is in where the reasonable limit is exceeded.

Guess what? If your going 90kph on your scooter, YOU'RE probably the one who's the '<deleted>'.

Yes, if stock bike, 110cc click has too crap tires...

No, if you have upgraded the bike then it's fine. and you have the skills.

my second bike is click 110i I use for shopping and when I need to carry bags.

I drove it already 12,000 KM. I upgraded the tires to larger ones 90/90 instead of 70/90, I added a rear shock with gas (YSS) I often change oil, gear oil, air filter, water cooler, rear brake drum pads, front disk pads.

I usually ride it at 100Km/h (at speedometer) at Rama 9. but of course, the brakes are not that great, it takes a while to brake. it's not at all like a big bike brake.

but that is not real 100Km/h, I would say it's about 90km/h.

it depends on your skills, but 90-100 km/h is the limit of the bike and quite dangerous for Thai horrible roads.

it depends on your skills, but 90-100 km/h is the limit of the bike and quite dangerous for Thai horrible roads.

This is where we disagree- when you exceed the capabilities of the bike, your skills are negated- all the skill in the world won't make crap brakes stop you in a shorter distance- all it'll do is make sure you can maximize something that is quite limited.

That said, I would certainly agree that upgrading your tires, suspension, and brakes as you have done makes a lot of difference- from the OP, though, it would seem that a basically stock bike is what's being referred to, and a stock Click is meant to be reliable basic transportation driven ridden well south of 90kph.

I love riding fast- I just bought a very fast bike, and I'm not giving out tickets here;)- I don't ride that fast on my Wave, though, as it's too easy to exceed its safety margin- it's the same with the Click.

For me it's a matter of out-riding your brakes- anything above 60kph or so is really too taxing for them if you have to stop suddenly.

It is not taxing on the brakes as much as it is the small tires providing such a small area of contact with the road.

For me it's a matter of out-riding your brakes- anything above 60kph or so is really too taxing for them if you have to stop suddenly.

It is not taxing on the brakes as much as it is the small tires providing such a small area of contact with the road.
It's a combination of both, of course (the suspension enters into it as well)- if it were mainly the tires, though, upgrading your brakes with braided-steel lines, switching to better pads, larger (or going from a single to a double) discs, etc wouldn't have such a dramatic effect, but yes, those crappy, skinny tires don't do your stopping distance any favors- a lot has to do with how the stopping force can be applied (as far as degree)- with scooters it's often barely there or full lock-up when your going very fast.

In the end, though, it's up to you as far as how much you're willing to compromise safety for speed- if you really want to ride fast, I think you should buy a bike that can handle the speed properly, but it's your life- there's such a constant disregard for proper riding in Thailand that even after many years here, it continues to amaze me, especially foreigners who ride with a complete disregard for basic gear or proper technique for the road conditions- maybe they all have 'magic amulets' like the locals- I've got to get myself one of those...;)

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Haha 1

Yes the Click is a cheaply made mass market scooter

I think you got that one right. The Click is designed to sell. It is not designed to be the best motorbike of its kind. I have several new articles on my web site including the latest and that one has several more pictures I took yesterday of my Nouvo Elegance with most of the plastic removed. The reason I did this is I had to know for myself what I had already gleaned from personal experience and what I had recently read about underbone constructed motorbikes. I've driven two Click rentals. The first one was in Krabi a few years ago. It handled so badly with my girlfriend behind me that I got off and told her to drive. I was used to the handling of my Yamaha Nouvo MX in those days, a bike I replaced with my current Nouvo Elegance. Back in those days the Click was 110 cc's whereas now they are 125 cc's. No doubt they are improved. But when people start saying the new Click is better than a Yamaha Elegance or the new fuel injected Nouvo SX's, I figure it's time to do a little independent research on my own to separate out facts from the bull and report my findings back here. The 2nd Click I rented was on Koh Samet. It was equipped with dirt bike tires and at slow speeds negotiating Koh Samets ruts, and rock covered trails, it performed much better than my expectations.

What I learned online about underbones was that Honda revolutionized the motorbike industry when it first introduced its Super Cub back in 1958. To me, those things resembled girls bicycles. To kick off sales Honda had a great slogan, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". Back in those days the market was pretty much confined to Harleys, Triumphs, BSA's, etc along with such scooters as Vespa, Cushman, etc. And I do remember my dad who used to own Harleys in the 1930's telling me, "Those motor scooters are no good. They have those little wheels that offer no stability." But they were cute. They were pretty. The BSA's, Triumphs, Nortons, etc were British, typically of 650 c.c. displacement. And if I recall it was a Triumph that was Marlon Brandos motorcycle in "The Wild One," a movie that associated motorcycle owners with motorcycle gangs wearing leather jackets. Aside from offering a much better image for future motorbike owners by hits marketing slogans and Hondas excellent engines, Honda offered in its underbones a design that permitted much larger diameter wheels (16 or 17 inch) as well as an overall design that seemed to be similar to a scooter's but which in reality was decisively superior due to its metal bracing within the plastic hump between the driver's legs which replaced the traditional floorboard of the scooters.

I invite anyone who is interested in looking up underbones and do a little checking on their own. One of the things you will find is that with Honda's revolutionary Super Cub, handling was vastly improved over scooters of that era. And the reason is all those braces that anchor the front to the rear of the bike above that area where the floorboards of scooters attaches front and rear along a single axis. Now I will admit that having all that foot space on a scooter's floorboard is more comfortable and certainly it can be said that you have all that space in front of you where you can hang grocery bags. When I go grocery shopping with my Elegance that hump is in the way so I have to hang my grocery bags from the hook in front of me and then swing them to one side or the other where they can get in the way of my legs, but that's only a minor discomfort.

As to the personal experience aspect again, I recently bought my girlfriend a Yamaha Filano. It has 12 inch wheels and it most definitely is a scooter. I tried to get her to spring for a new Nouvo 125 SX knowing all too well how superior a bike it is, but she wanted the Filano. I would have told her, "Honey. You are getting either a Nouvo SX or a PCX or you aren't getting anything at all." except for the fact that I know she's deathly afraid of all motorbikes and there was no way she'd ever travel more than 2 km away from home on it. The Filano also has as much storage space under the seat as a Yamaha Nouvo, unlike another scooter offering from Yamaha, the Fino. That meant that if I ever wanted to get a larger motorbike such as a Honda CBR 250 we'd still have a bike that was suitable for shopping at the supermarket without my having to outfit the new motorbike with a luggage trunk.

When we drive the Filano (I usually do the driving) it's nearly always for very short hops to nearby restaurants or to go to the fitness center for our exercise. It's a cute machine and I'm sure it gets terrific fuel economy. It doesn't have anything like the horsepower of the Elegance, but that's okay being that it's fun to just idle along at slow speeds. But it really is grossly inferior to the Elegance. Because of its 12 inch diameter wheels it will bottom out on certain speed bumps unless I take it all the way down to about 1 mile an hour. It seems unbalanced compared to my Elegance. It certainly does not feel to be part of me. And I can actually feel a little flex in the bike due to the anchoring of the front to the bike's rear only through the floorboard. Still, it's charming. One had just better not expect too much out of it.

Let's face the facts. All those Honda Clicks, Honda Scoopy's, Yamaha Finos, Mios, and Filanos have floorboards. Each of those bikes permits too much flex in its chassis. Honda knew it had by far the superior design way back in 1958. But much later on Honda started to realize along with Yamaha and other bike manufacturers that people will buy practically anything so long as you can successful dupe them away from checking out the real facts. All those braces in an underbone cost money to manufacture. Isn't it far better to offer a lot of thin air instead of all those expensive goodies that make a bike really handle well? And while we are at it, it's certainly cheaper to offer one shock on a bike instead of two, and then we can offer a link to the past for those who are nostalgic for those old scooters, the kind that Dustin Hoffman used to drive in "The Graduate". After all, money is number one.

+1...Good info. Thanks

A lot of guys aren't going to like what I've put on my web site about Clicks, Scoopy, Finos, Filanos and so forth, but they are very inferior to Yamaha Nouvos, PCX's, and even Honda Waves when it comes to good handling. Today, I even took a lot of the plastic off my Elegance just so I could take pictures of what's under the hood and put the evidence on my web site. Just go to the Looking Glass Magazine May issue.

Clicks and Finos are good reliable bikes. long distance without going too fast is also not a problem if they are well maintained. Just use common sense about your'e speed and be aware of what is going on around you, and you will be OK.

• Like 1

Yes the Click is a cheaply made mass market scooter but I see no reason not to ride one the way you do, if you feel comfortable doing so. The key is knowing your ride. So how good or not so good the brakes are, what the tires are like etc..If you feel the brakes could be better there are after-market kits with a larger disc, and likewise there are also different wheel/tires that can be fitted. I think all the respondents here are big/bigger bike guys and hence all the negative remarks.

Back in the day many rode Lambrettas and Vespas at over 90 kph, AF 225 will do 140+ kph, and these people are still alive. Modern Vespa's can do 80+ mph and they have smaller diameter wheels than a Click.

Why are bigger bikes safer? Well driving a Porsche 911 at 160 is safer than driving a Ford Fiesta at 160. Why ? Higher performance vehicles have better brakes, better tires, better.. etc. This is why some larger bikes can be considered safer.

The problem I see, if there is one, is not the speed at which you ride your scooter but the speed other road users around you may be going. Riding a Click at 90 kph you are more likely to get hit by another road user than being involved in an accident of your making.

If you are happy? Keep riding and worry not what others say.

We should note here that the "new" Click is a bit larger than the old one and has 14" wheels

Not only are other road users, pot holes etc to be considered, but beware of sand/dry earth on the road. It's equivalent to riding on ice with this skinny lizzie tyres.blink.png

While home in Thailand I drive a Honda click. While home in the US I ride a well engineered 111cu inch (S&S) motor pro street bike. In a nutshell the Honda becomes increasingly unstable for a variety of reasons most of which are detailed in this thread. My top concern with the click is steering. As speed increases the click's steering stability decreases. Though a practical bike the Honda click has the performance characteristics of a shopping cart and should not be tested at high speeds.

• Like 1

From own experience during 30 years of bike riding, the bigger (normally faster too) bike the faster you are going, on the bigger bikes you don't fell the speed as on a small bike. I sometimes go full throttle on my wife's Fino and it fells like going real fast:D

OP just stick to your current riding style but as on all bikes be alert and try to read the traffic around you and act accordingly.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes the Click is a cheaply made mass market scooter but I see no reason not to ride one the way you do, if you feel comfortable doing so. The key is knowing your ride. So how good or not so good the brakes are, what the tires are like etc..If you feel the brakes could be better there are after-market kits with a larger disc, and likewise there are also different wheel/tires that can be fitted. I think all the respondents here are big/bigger bike guys and hence all the negative remarks.

Back in the day many rode Lambrettas and Vespas at over 90 kph, AF 225 will do 140+ kph, and these people are still alive. Modern Vespa's can do 80+ mph and they have smaller diameter wheels than a Click.

Why are bigger bikes safer? Well driving a Porsche 911 at 160 is safer than driving a Ford Fiesta at 160. Why ? Higher performance vehicles have better brakes, better tires, better.. etc. This is why some larger bikes can be considered safer.

The problem I see, if there is one, is not the speed at which you ride your scooter but the speed other road users around you may be going. Riding a Click at 90 kph you are more likely to get hit by another road user than being involved in an accident of your making.

If you are happy? Keep riding and worry not what others say.

We should note here that the "new" Click is a bit larger than the old one and has 14" wheels

What good does knowing how good your breaks are if you need good one's all of a sudden?

"The problem I see, if there is one, is not the speed at which you ride your scooter

but the speed other road users around you may be going. Riding a Click

at 90 kph you are more likely to get hit by another road user than being

involved in an accident of your making."

With thinking like that you can justify just about any thing. So you are driving at 90 clicks and every one else is driving at 80 clicks it is there fault if you have an accident.

I ride my click everyday 25km's to work along the highway. 80km is about my maximum and I feel I can control my ride very well. 95? Well that seems to be a little extreme. Like someone said, you never know when you will be forced into a sudden change. Generally good, fun bikes to ride and very, very fuel efficient.

• Like 1

Thank you for this post, because my wife was going to buy me a Honda Scoopyi. I'd rather have the big bike where weight, and handling along with the strength of the frame,and handling won't be a problem. Does anyone know where I can get a Honda Goldwing from the 2003 to 2006 model in Thailand?

Edited by TheRuckusinThaMai

I have a Honda Air Blade and a Honda Phantom, the brakes on the Air Blade are far better than on the Phantom. On the Air Blade if you apply the rear brake the front brake engages also, so it is far less likely to put the bike into a skid and drop it. It slows down from 80 very quickly. I have had to do this a couple of times and had no problems. The two times I had to do it on my Phantom, I dropped the bike both times. The last time resulting in a broken shoulder and two bones broken in my leg. I'm stiking to the Air Blade now.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@ RubberSideDown, I can agree with what you're saying in regards to bike components and reliability, but if some one gets rear ended, the <deleted> is ALWAYS the one who rear ends, no exceptions unless there is a MINIMUM speed limit posted, which I haven't seen anywhere on any HWY in Thai. Riding fast doesn't give anyone rights to rear end and run slower riders/drivers off the road.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@ RubberSideDown, I can agree with what you're saying in regards to bike components and reliability, but if some one gets rear ended, the <deleted> is ALWAYS the one who rear ends, no exceptions unless there is a MINIMUM speed limit posted, which I haven't seen anywhere on any HWY in Thai. Riding fast doesn't give anyone rights to rear end and run slower riders/drivers off the road.Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I didn't refer to anyone being rear-ended on this thread- that was another poster- I said if your speed is the determining cause of an accident, it's your fault, and that riding too fast on a scooter is foolish from a safety perspective (when I used the word '<deleted>' it was regarding the speed itself, not necessarily being hit from behind, which would be less likely at a rapid pace)- being rear-ending was brought up by someone else after I responded to a different point.

Edited by RubberSideDown