what if the buying power was equal

infinity11

Your wife / GF would ditch you ?

Dear Kitsune, never intended to join this discussion. We say a fool can ask more questions than a wise can answer.

Be careful with your statements/questions. This particular one implies that all women live with all men for money!

I personally do not have any objections to such a thread. It would be very controversial and stir a lively discussion.

But something tells me you got carried away in this suggestion, so, - be careful. biggrin.png

• Like 1

We say a fool can ask more questions than a wise can answer.

I haven't actually read* that one before ... thumbsup.gif

"a fool can ask more questions than a wise can answer."

*Note to self ... read more ... Thai Visa less ... biggrin.png

Perhaps you fail to see this may come to pass, at least it is a viable possibility.

It also begs the question why it is the way it is and how long will it stay that way?

Are you talking of a global currency? If inflation was equal across the continents, and the cost of living/wage structure the same, it might work. Until that happens, there is nothing viable about it.

Europe already tried that.....................wink.png

Buying what? some stuff is more expensive here, some is cheaper.

Or do you mean what if 1 baht equaled 1 dollar (for example). Then Thailand would be the most expensive place on earth I suppose

Reckon 1 kip to 1 dollar would change that a bit...............biggrin.png

Hi, Dave. Don't strain your memory... this is not coming from English...

I think I've mentioned before somewhere here that English is my second language. biggrin.png ... There are many more coming from where this one.

• Like 1

Dear Kitsune, never intended to join this discussion. We say a fool can ask more questions than a wise can answer.

Be careful with your statements/questions. This particular one implies that all women live with all men for money!

I personally do not have any objections to such a thread. It would be very controversial and stir a lively discussion.

But something tells me you got carried away in this suggestion, so, - be careful. biggrin.png

Dear ABCer,

I am sure that not only I put a question mark at the end, but I also used "would" the conditional.

But what I did forget the smiley ...There you go ............laugh.png

Can you take a joke ?

Dear ABCer,

I am sure that not only I put a question mark at the end, but I also used "would" the conditional.

Can you take a joke ?

Sure I can... any time in any form...

Wouldn't even think of checking on anybody's grammar here...

I repeat, your question implies... a certain thought... This is not an accusation nor is it categorical. That is why I caution you: 'be careful'. Otherwise, - no problem!

Dear ABCer,

Can you take a joke ?

Sure I can... any time in any form...

Wouldn't even think of checking on anybody's grammar here...

I repeat, your question implies... a certain thought... This is not an accusation nor is it categorical. That is why I caution you: 'be careful'. Otherwise, - no problem!

My question is coming from the hundreds of topics I read here where people explained me that Thai love is and I quote (it is not me saying this but a Farang man )

"Take care, bring money and save face"

The fact remains: "Western-Economies" including the US have peaked. While Asian economies are gaining "market-share" and as long as free-trade and "globalization" is the name of the game, this will continue. Accordingly, those currencies will appreciate against "western-currencies" as a matter of economic fact.

So, all those Farangs, planning on living in Thailand for the next 15 years (on a fixed retirement pensions from overseas), are in for a rude awakening as time goes on.

Cheers.

• Like 1

The fact remains: "Western-Economies" including the US have peaked. While Asian economies are gaining "market-share" and as long as free-trade and "globalization" is the name of the game, this will continue. Accordingly, those currencies will appreciate against "western-currencies" as a matter of economic fact.

So, all those Farangs, planning on living in Thailand for the next 15 years (on a fixed retirement pensions from overseas), are in for a rude awakening as time goes on.

Cheers.

-

As are normal working people trying to make a living wage back home.

There's also the saying: "The only stupid question is the one You don't ask."

• Like 1

There's also the saying: "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask."

-

The problem is we don't understand your question. Do you mean

A: What if one USD = one baht ?

or

B: What if the median Thai household had the same material standard of living as the average American? In other words, what if all Thais suddenly increased their income by 500%?

Many Thais believe the two questions mean the same thing, I assume you're not making the same mistake. . .

• Like 2

Cheers.

You seem to be behind the times Swissie.

Asia/Australia seem to be firmly on their way down now.

Thailand may not be a good retirement destination at the moment because of the approaching civil war.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

what a load of <deleted>, can't find a grain of sense in any of it.

If it's sense you're looking for, you'll either need to search harder, set lower standards, look elsewhere, or least likely, offer some yourself.

I imagine Bangkok would be more like Singapore, or Tokyo. But it's not like Singapore or Tokyo, so the Baht won't match the US dollar.

SC

• Like 2

what a load of <deleted>, can't find a grain of sense in any of it.

If it's sense you're looking for, you'll either need to search harder, set lower standards, look elsewhere, or least likely, offer some yourself.
-

Sorry, somehow the quotes didn't come through, I was responding to these gems from an otherwise generally sensible poster:

-

You seem to be behind the times Swissie. Asia/Australia seem to be firmly on their way down now.

Thailand may not be a good retirement destination at the moment because of the approaching civil war.

One Baht around the turn of the 19th century were 15 grams of pure silver, and there were subdivisions down to 1/6,400 of a Baht. The US$ of the time was 90% silver and had a weight of about 27 grams, both currencies bound by the gold standard. Lets say $1 = 2 Baht a little more than 100 years ago. What happened to cause the divergence since? coffee1.gif

• Like 1