Reading in Bangkok?

Filipplenoir

Did you know that "UNESCO has awarded Bangkok the World Book Capital City 2013. In recognition of this special honor, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), in collaboration with the Bangkok Reading Group, is reigniting pride in Thailand's literary heritage and instilling a strong and sustainable culture of reading among city residents"?

I saw ONE 'resident' reading a book today amidst thousands of other residents checking Line and Facebook. I won't comment the picture.

post-173117-0-61783400-1371054230_thumb.

I have to admit I'm seeing more Thais reading in public these days than I used to see a decade ago.

Yes the number of books per year average is indeed a small fraction of those back home but it does seem to be heading in the right direction.

The stats back home are probably drastically declining, so we'll probably meet in the middle, or I suspect more likely together near the bottom.

Students 'reading' proscribed text books must push this number up. Vietnam: 20 books a year I believe.

You ever see a Thai's house with a stacked book case? Me neither.

I had to wait 12 hours at Morchit recently (I can't read timetables!) walking around I saw nobody reading all day.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Students 'reading' proscribed text books must push this number up. Vietnam: 20 books a year I believe.

I had to wait 12 hours at Morchit recently (I can't read timetables!) walking around I saw nobody reading all day.

Yes.

Who do you think Kunokiniya's customers are? They couldn't maintain shops of that size on farang customers only. And that's foreign language books only. Local books maintain the Thai bookshops you find in every city in Thailand. Somebody's reading them.

• Like 2

They claim 5 books a year per Bangkokian I can't really believe it

-

Includes those comic books you rent for 5 baht.

-

You do know "proscribed" means forbidden?

The demographics of the people that travel by public bus don't match up with those that read.

I've seen plenty of full bookshelves in the homes of wealthy, mostly Chinese-Thai parents of international school students.

I've also seen bargirls reading books while waiting for customers, yesterday evening passing through Soi 8's beer garden for example. But I'll admit it's a special treat.

The whole point of the award is for cities with exemplary programs to try to encourage its citizens to read, so at least the BMA's making an effort.

• Like 1

They claim 5 books a year per Bangkokian I can't really believe it

-

Includes those comic books you rent for 5 baht.

-

You do know "proscribed" means forbidden?

The demographics of the people that travel by public bus don't match up with those that read.

I've seen plenty of full bookshelves in the homes of wealthy, mostly Chinese-Thai parents of international school students.

I've also seen bargirls reading books while waiting for customers, yesterday evening passing through Soi 8's beer garden for example. But I'll admit it's a special treat.

The whole point of the award is for cities with exemplary programs to try to encourage its citizens to read, so at least the BMA's making an effort.

Thai-Chinese, yes. Public bus? Thank you very much, I don't like driving into Bangkok these days and don't fancy taking a train that may be two hours late. Nakhonchai air for me every time.

Proscribed: really abjectly sorry about that, but I'm sure that you knew what I meant. I thought at the time that I was using the wrong word, I was in a rush. Really very very sorry.

I read on my iPod, so it would appear I am on facebook or playing a game. I average around 30-50pages a day. Sometimes I can't read that day, sometimes I knock out upwards of 300 pages.

I have a lot of Thai friends who like to read, but there is a direct correlation between their reading and their education level.

I have no problem with kids and the comics/manga, it's kinda like Sports Illustrated for kids. Is it challenging, deep and meaningful? Not really, but it is a form of reading and while they might not be making their own pictures in their head, it's far better than sitting in front of a TV waiting for an outdated sound effect to tell them when to laugh.

I once said here on TV that Thais do not read.

To compensate for this they talk on their mobiles.

I than suggested that a new born Thai comes from the womb clutching a mobile.

Maybe I am not observant. In any case I was chastised a 'Thai hater'. Why? Isn't this a fair observation?

French and Russians read a lot in Metro, on the buses and even in queing lines. smile.png

Many many Thais do read.

A ten-year-old student of mine got interested in evolution, I lent him Dawkin's "The Ancestor's Tale", a maybe four-inch thick very dense high-vocabulary scientific text on the topic.

He returned it within a month, and in my discussions with him I confirmed he had indeed absorbed the key details, remembered specific branches of the tree of life by name, and went on to do a 4000 word report on the later flying dinosaurs, the first birds.

He's just been accepted at Eton.

100% Thai.

True they don't read on average as much as average westerners, but then again kids graduating today don't read more than a small fraction of what those retiring now do and I don't hear people here slagging off vicious insults at that whole demographic in the same way, just because we've got a bit more DNA in common.

Blech. . .

Many many Thais do read.

A ten-year-old student of mine got interested in evolution, I lent him Dawkin's "The Ancestor's Tale", a maybe four-inch thick very dense high-vocabulary scientific text on the topic.

He returned it within a month, and in my discussions with him I confirmed he had indeed absorbed the key details, remembered specific branches of the tree of life by name, and went on to do a 4000 word report on the later flying dinosaurs, the first birds.

He's just been accepted at Eton.

100% Thai.

True they don't read on average as much as average westerners, but then again kids graduating today don't read more than a small fraction of what those retiring now do and I don't hear people here slagging off vicious insults at that whole demographic in the same way, just because we've got a bit more DNA in common.

Blech. . .

Ouch, not again!

If you want to be that pedantic, I will rephrase:

Vast majority of Thai public I can see in Metro, on the buses, in cafes do not read books.

Vast majority of Thai new born babies are born clutching a Mobile instead of a book.

Great many French, Russians, Italians and Americans observed by me in Metro, on the buses, in cafes and even in queing lines read books.

Some Thais in public places read (look through) magazines. Could it be because of the pictures?

Most Thais I observed in public places are talking on Mobiles or playing games on mobiles or Tablets.

Now that your pedantism is satisfied, you may argue about these my observations by bringing an example of your 10 year young genius.

I believe you in that much. Good luck to him at Eaton... BTW why Eaton? Why not continue where he was? Never did I say Thais cannot read. Literacy level in the cities is pretty high. There is nothing wrong with Thais DNA.

Most likely they do not read books because there aren't many worth reading in Thai(?). Perhaps my education was not complete by not mentioning the Great Thai Literature? Or could it be just 'Thai Culture'? smile.pngwai2.gif

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1

Reading novels printed on paper is so 1990s.coffee1.gif

Yesss! One more Proof! You can buy any model of Mobile phone, PC, Tablet in any big shop or IT centre in any city of Thailand.

When asked about e-book or e-reader the shop assistants stare back at you without knowing what are you talking about!

It is simple - No Demand, - No Offers!

Why no demand? Most of Thais do not read books!

I have two: BAHN and PocketBook. And I'm older than 1990...

Thanks, krisb ! smile.png

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1

Yesss! One more Proof!

-

Seems childish, no one is claiming that Thais read at the same rate statistically as western countries.

But idiotic to try to assert that "All Thais don't read much" - nothing starting with "All Thais X" is going to be true unless "All humans X" is also true.

The ebook vendors haven't set up here because they know the lack of IP protection means there's no business model for them in Thailand.

Edited by boosta

Most of us have gone digital old boy.

I have no physical books, but read 3-5 a week.

Reading novels printed on paper is so 1990s.Posted Image

Yesss!  One more Proof!  You can buy any model of Mobile phone, PC, Tablet in any big shop or IT centre in any city of Thailand.

When asked about e-book or e-reader the shop assistants stare back at you without knowing what are you talking about!

It is simple - No Demand, -  No Offers! 

Why no demand?  Most of Thais do not read books!

I have two: BAHN  and  PocketBook.  And I'm older than 1990...

Thanks, krisb !  Posted Image

My dear old Mum even reads her beloved novels on her kindle nowadays. She just downloads them all online. She's adapted well to the digital age we live in. My Dad on the other hand still loves things like vinyl records and books printed on real paper. These days there's so much entertainment out there, books seem quite boring compared to other things.

Most of us have gone digital old boy.

I have no physical books, but read 3-5 a week.

We are the only one in the village with internet. Reading off a screen is not the same as reading a book. Old chap. And don't forget that it's not very long since you were actually able to download books on the internet. I certainly didn't throw my books away.

Edited by cooked

My dear old Mum even reads her beloved novels on her kindle nowadays. She just downloads them all online. She's adapted well to the digital age we live in. My Dad on the other hand still loves things like vinyl records and books printed on real paper. These days there's so much entertainment out there, books seem quite boring compared to other things.

-

I disagree, have always read at least 4-5 books a week no matter how many wonderful other entertainments there may be.

Come to think of it that was my first addiction. . .

• Like 2