Heavy rain causes chaos on the streets of Pattaya

Rimmer

Heavy rain causes chaos on the streets of Pattaya

rain-2.jpg

PATTAYA:--The rainy season appears to have arrived with characteristic heavy and sustained periods of rainfall and flash flooding.

Late on Wednesday Night and into the early hours of Thursday the “heavens opened” and storm drains around Pattaya City were unable to cope and within minutes some roads resembled rivers.

Some of the worst affected areas were South Pattaya close to Pattaya Beach,
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/90969/heavy-rain-chaos-streets-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-06-13

There is some major work going on on soi khaonoi. I'm not sure what they are doing exactly, it seems like laying completely new road (even though old one seemed fine). I know they keep tearing up a new section before they complete the last torn up piece. Has traffic all messed up during rush hour.

I sure hope that this is part of dealing with the drainage and not just an opportunity for someone to make money tearing up and laying down a new piece on concrete.

Didn't wake up until 8:00 am but on SSCC didn't see any floods this morning thank god. I think khaonoi gets the worst of it each rainy season.

Killed my Ranger last night, for a vehicle that is claimed to be happy with 800m of wading depth I was surprised that 300mm killed.

Didn't wake up until 8:00 am but on SSCC didn't see any floods this morning thank god. I think khaonoi gets the worst of it each rainy season.

Killed my Ranger last night, for a vehicle that is claimed to be happy with 800m of wading depth I was surprised that 300mm killed.

I assume the 800m claim was a typo!

300 mm, so only about 12" deep?

Was that a speedy dash through the 300 mm water, wave action from a passing boat or did it just crap out during a slow crawl? Shouldn't be anything mounted that low on the engine that gives a shit so to speak.

Well touted the Ranger is good for water fording up to 800mm.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Ford+Ranger+800mm+wading+depth&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I was following a Toyota sedan and it was about 6 metres in front of me, every thing was fine then it started to lose power and stalled. I could not re-start as the battery was dead.

Got a Jump start from a rescue guy and the engine now rattles and blows white smoke.

It has also undermined and collapsed sand based/supported concrete walkway above beach just North of walking street.

More seriously the base of large high lamp post on beach across from Soi 12 has been undermined/washed out. Two of the four concrete pillars supporting the base are exposed on seaside.

One is cracked , the other eroded at top at interface with base. And the concrete looks like it has too much course sand in it.

There is alot of torque ( r x Force) on the base structure and city hall better get on it or its going to go over.

It has also undermined and collapsed sand based/supported concrete walkway above beach just North of walking street.

More seriously the base of large high lamp post on beach across from Soi 12 has been undermined/washed out. Two of the four concrete pillars supporting the base are exposed on seaside.

One is cracked , the other eroded at top at interface with base. And the concrete looks like it has too much course sand in it.

There is alot of torque ( r x Force) on the base structure and city hall better get on it or its going to go over.

Edit - I dont pretend to be an engineeer and the pillars are about 20 feet deep with iron rods bolted to base. But the missing sand and concrete damage have taken away some support.

The wind pressure x area ( at top of post) is the definition of force here , where r is length of post, as in above definition for torque = r x F

Edited by morrobay

to be fair, the rain, an average day here in this season, disappeared very quickly. a real non new story,but then again a very slow news week. did we miss the cat rescue and the dog stuck between two buildings? as to the police, well they come out on parade EVERY day, .. as said, news is slow..

well i never ,the roads in Pattaya flooded ,been here 23 years and cant remember ever seeing that . hope it never happens again .cheesy.gif

Not unheared of, but heavy rain in June in Pattaya is rare. It rained as much this day as normally in the whole month. Compensation for May, which was too dry and hot.

Well touted the Ranger is good for water fording up to 800mm.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Ford+Ranger+800mm+wading+depth&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I was following a Toyota sedan and it was about 6 metres in front of me, every thing was fine then it started to lose power and stalled. I could not re-start as the battery was dead.

Got a Jump start from a rescue guy and the engine now rattles and blows white smoke.

I will be waiting to see the technical explanation posted in the regular Ranger thread on the motoring forum.

to be fair, the rain, an average day here in this season, disappeared very quickly. a real non new story,but then again a very slow news week. did we miss the cat rescue and the dog stuck between two buildings? as to the police, well they come out on parade EVERY day, .. as said, news is slow..

heavy rain may disappear more quickly than the water to be drained ... up in the north [east] I learned stopping our pickup car, get out, and pickup fish with my bare hands for loading our empty plastic bags ... and, then, when I’m not capable anymore of looking through the front window of our car, I´m not the only one, having enough time on my hands, for inspecting roads ... as to the police, doesn´t that parade occur in an area having a relative large police academy with maybe a new fresh load of students struggling for approximately a year to pass their newest exams and getting to their new destinations ;-) ... nothing wrong with having a well trained body and corresponding healthy spirit ... as to the news, almost everybody owns a cell phone, so, I wouldn´t worry too much ... really bad news always travelled relative fast ... the time we were waiting for horses to come is long gone ... at my age my memory is a bit confused, does not a well known story exist about a prince on a white horse somewhere… not sure, but maybe following picture applies ( enjoy the corresponding thoughts you may or may not experience while placing it in the context of the arrival of new news, maybe it´s some kind of reflection I´m capable of seeing in my rear mirror when I ask myself who´s doing all the work here biggrin.png )

White_not-wild_Horse-Arrived.jpg

and, of course, no news is good news ... when my family doesn´´t pickup the phone it´s not due to the heavy rain but because of feared consequences of picking up their phones in case of lightning .,. smile.png ... at my age I´m also not so perfect anymore and have also to do a lot of additional learning myself... good luck to you all ...

heavy rain may disappear more quickly than the water to be drained ... up in the north [east] I learned stopping our pickup car, get out, and pickup fish with my bare hands for loading our empty plastic bags ... and, then, when I’m not capable anymore of looking through the front window of our car, I´m not the only one, having enough time on my hands, for inspecting roads ... as to the police, doesn´t that parade occur in an area having a relative large police academy with maybe a new fresh load of students struggling for approximately a year to pass their newest exams and getting to their new destinations ;-) ... nothing wrong with having a well trained body and corresponding healthy spirit ... as to the news, almost everybody owns a cell phone, so, I wouldn´t worry too much ... really bad news always travelled relative fast ... the time we were waiting for horses to come is long gone ... at my age my memory is a bit confused, does not a well known story exist about a prince on a white horse somewhere… not sure, but maybe following picture applies ( enjoy the corresponding thoughts you may or may not experience while placing it in the context of the arrival of new news, maybe it´s some kind of reflection I´m capable of seeing in my rear mirror when I ask myself who´s doing all the work here biggrin.png )

White_not-wild_Horse-Arrived.jpg

and, of course, no news is good news ... when my family doesn´´t pickup the phone it´s not due to the heavy rain but because of feared consequences of picking up their phones in case of lightning .,. smile.png ... at my age I´m also not so perfect anymore and have also to do a lot of additional learning myself... good luck to you all ...

Can someone translate this to english for me please.

Edited by Spoonman