Fate of 5,800 small Thai schools still undecided

webfact

Fate of 5,800 small schools still undecided
Supinda Na Mahachai
The Nation

30208299-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The Council of Alternative Education, community organisations, and local administrative bodies, proposed yesterday that the closure of over 5,800 small schools be postponed.

However, it has remained steadfast on the closing of 113 schools that clearly lack students.

Sirikorn Maneerin, former education minister and chairperson of the committee, said the committee and the Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) agreed that schools nationwide should be grouped according to five zones.

She said a sub-committee would be set up to draft a proposal. Moreover, local administrative organisations would take part in the development of schools.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-14

is the population increasing or decreasing in Thailand?

Does this mean the end of small villages in the rural areas?

Does this mean that the poor will not have any education in the future?

Does this mean that we are violating the children's right to a fair and free education?

• Like 1

As the Ministry of Education has only THB 420 billion in 2012/2013 annual budget with a handfull of extra billions for tabletPcs and the like I can surely understand that there is a need to cut down. Clearly the cut down should be on teaching as that's expensive especially in remote schools without electricity and internet access.

BTW when Prof. Dr. Suchart Thada-Thamrongvech became Minister of Education begin of January 2012 his policy statement started with this philosophy:

PhilosophyPolice Lieutenant Colonel Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra has said about education that Education will lead to the building of peoples vigour. Vigorous and knowledgeable people are powerful capital to fight with poverty. Emphases must be on distribution of benefits with equity, and on regards of people with difficulties, in order to provide quality education for everyone. Education is an important key, a starting element that is necessary in making poverty become past.
The Pheu Thai Party Government shall take care of Thai people as family members and not hurt them nor misapply their money. On education, student-centred approach is committed. Peoples children will be taken care as ours, and teachers as our relatives.
Therefore, the Ministry of Education must look after people, no corruption, no cheating on students, no forcing on teachers and students to welcome executives if not necessary, no drugs distributed among our children.
We must relax rules and regulations and other tasks outside teaching learning. We must get rid of money charges for post transfers or returns to home towns of teachers. Criteria in assessment of teachers must be clear, decreasing judgement. We must also decrease those debt tempting factors.
In education development, the Pheu Thai Party Government emphasizes the philosophy of EQUITY and TECHNOLOGY application. We will provide quality basic education for every youth in every area and creating higher education students as professionals.

Parents must be so proud when little Somchai gets an A is chicken raising and a B+ in growing vegetables. The F in maths is not important because he'll never own more than 20 chickens, and his toes will be visible for counting while wearing his work flip-flops.

• Like 1

*Deleted post edited out*

In Thailand education is a "right". From Part 8, Section 49 of the Thai Constitution

"A person shall enjoy an equal right to receive education for the duration of not less than twelve years which shall be provided by the State thoroughly, up to the quality, and without charge"

Edited by Scott

Parents must be so proud when little Somchai gets an A is chicken raising and a B+ in growing vegetables. The F in maths is not important because he'll never own more than 20 chickens, and his toes will be visible for counting while wearing his work flip-flops.

You really do have nothing but contempt for the Thais haven't you?

It is interesting how Thai adults can take even the most simplest of things (teaching and educating a child) and completely blot it out with obfuscation and digression regarding their own selfishness, stupidity and greed.

How dam_n difficult is it to teach and educate a child? They are describing the water and the children are drowning. Thailand is the HUB of procrastination; preceded only by much pomp and fanfare. Beyond that, nothing ever happens!

Moreover, is there such a thing as a concerned parent (with a backbone) anywhere within the borders of this land? It always seems to be someone else speaking on behalf of someone else, and usually it is some "Ministry of This or That" speaking on behalf of the non-existent parents, whereas I would be all over them and asking them where they think they can come off by telling me what is best for my child without conferring with me, The Parent!

Where is any article with a quote from an angry parent regarding the crap quality of education and standards in the schools? Hah! I thought so... don't want to step out and make a fuss... oh no!

Edited by cup-O-coffee

I have nothing but contempt for the curriculum as presented on a different thread about small schools, where half the school day was allocated to these subjects. Do try to keep up old chap.

I have a Thai family and I wish the best for them. Save you cheap shots for someone else.

Edited by OzMick

Don't know about that, but I liked his post. Very profound.