Wongwien Yai to Saphan Taksin sky-walk is now open for public

webfact

Wongwien Yai to Tak Sin Sky-walk is now open for public

Bangkok, 14 June 2013, (NNT) -- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has announced that the sky-walk linking Wongwien Yai and Tak Sin BTS train stations is now open for the public.

BMA Governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra presided over the opening ceremony. The sky-walk, measuring 425 meters, not only links the 2 BTS stations, but also provides access to other means of public transportation as well. In addition, motorists can also use the venue to make a U-turn.

Governor Sukhumband boasted about the safety measures of the bridge, saying that the structure has been installed with adequate lighting and CCTV cameras. He added the BMA had also developed the 3,500 square meters area below the sky-walk as a public park, encouraging locals to exercise or to use it for other recreational purposes.

According to M.R. Sukhumbhand, the project cost 120 million baht, citing it is part of the BMA's 6 policies to make Bangkok one of the happiest and the greenest cities in the world.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-14 footer_n.gif

The distance between Wongwien Yai and Tak Sin BTS train stations is a hell lot more than 425 meters. More likely 4250 meters. What a waste of money, just to fill some corrupt peoples pockets. I guess that only the part crossing the river will be frequently used, in order for some people to save the 3 Baht ferry fare.

Edited by Xonax

I think this post is wrong. There is no Skywalk between Wongwien Yai and the Saphan station. There is one between Wongwien Yai and the BRT station which is about the 425m from the station going away from the river........weird story......and what U-turn for motorists? I read a link in the BMA website that said they are not going to close the Taksin station. The original plan was to close it but they realise now that it is too important and are, in fact, looking at putting another line in which would make it flow a little quicker. I live over the river and catch the BTS most days and have definetly not seen a walkway going over the river.......I think the reporter needs to that what they are writing is true........

• Like 2

I think this post is wrong. There is no Skywalk between Wongwien Yai and the Saphan station. There is one between Wongwien Yai and the BRT station which is about the 425m from the station going away from the river........weird story......and what U-turn for motorists? I read a link in the BMA website that said they are not going to close the Taksin station. The original plan was to close it but they realise now that it is too important and are, in fact, looking at putting another line in which would make it flow a little quicker. I live over the river and catch the BTS most days and have definetly not seen a walkway going over the river.......I think the reporter needs to that what they are writing is true........

That makes much more sense, if the skywalk is between Saphan Taksin and Surasak BTS stations! But only if they still have plans to cancel the Saphan Taksin BTS station, which from the first point, indeed has been a very bad idea.

• Like 1

They anounced they were closing it a couple of months ago as there is no room for it with 2 lines and had been planned as temporary. AAlthernatives would be massive road closures.

The BMA website was a Q&A with one of the directors but it was from 2011 so not sure what is happening now. It would make sense to keep it open. Closing it would cause a bit of a stink with the tourism trade like Asiatique, tourism boats and schools like Shrewsbury that rely on the station being close.......we'll see......think your're right about the traffic chaos Harry, it's bad enough there when they have a little bit of rain or a small car shunt.......best plan, leave it open, it's only a small delay.......and benefits so many people.

The other logical reason for this is that NNT is starting their own Not the Nation type pieces!

Firstly, there is no walkway between Saphan Taksin station and WWY stations! Nor is there one planned!

2ndly, the distance of the ext to WWY from ST is 2.2km.

Anyone, with a little basic geographical knowledge of BKK or a basic ability to understand any map would be able to quickly ascertain that the distance stated is much more than 425m!

3rdly, a pedestrian link is being built by the BMA between the Feb opened Talat Phlu (S10) station and the BRT terminus at Ratchapruek rd & Ratchadapisek rd under the BTS viaduct. It was due to open in April/May but of course it was delayed. A 'Park and Ride' carpark is being built adjacent to BTS station/viaduct is part of the project.

I thought that the link was around 300m long but it may be closer to 400m? Though I'd hestitate to give any accuracy to the stated 425m.

Most likely this is now complete and the Gov opened it. I'd suggest that is what the NNT article is attempting to report.

Here is a pic from March

uka0fv.JPG

Here is a render/map;

527646_3610418468510_1730633010_n.jpg

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 2

^They should just copy your posts and replace the op post with them. I thought I was one un-observant mofo when I read this headline. There is a walkway there going across the river? And it already extends to WWY, and not simply to krung thon buri, lol.

One has to realize that people do just read thread titles at times. It is not very prudent to leave this thread up in my opinion. We all know this was a mistake by the Nation, but that doesn't preclude it from being a mistake by posting it here as well.

Edited by utalkin2me

The bad written article is referring to the WWY skywalk that crosses a major intersection. It starts from the end of WWY station and is 425m long (before pho nimit S9 BTS station).

Well that solves that then. Good to know.

So the NNT article got two things right. The ref to WWY station and the 425m distance!

One has to realize that people do just read thread titles at times. It is not very prudent to leave this thread up in my opinion. We all know this was a mistake by the Nation, but that doesn't preclude it from being a mistake by posting it here as well.

The Nation? This was a NNT release.

If you have issues with the OP - please complain to the original source. We do not write or verify stories but post verbatim!

original source:

http://61.19.244.31/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNSOC5606140010001

/Admin

No need to make a complaint. Of course you don't verify but a little reflection would suggest that this sort of inaccurate crap need not be posted. If the intention was to highlight poor reporting that would be fine. However, clearly that was not the intention.

Just bemusing that dribble such as this would be posted.