getting my daughter out of LOS ,whats the procedure?

hi

my nipper was born in thailand and has a UK passport since she was born ,issued by the UK embassy in BKK.

now she wants to visit the UK with me her pa.

Now my query is how do i get thru immigration with no inbound visa in her passport ?

I have asked the embassy and they said ask immigration so i emailed them but so far no reply ..

thanks

If you as a British national are taking a Thai child out of the country, you may be asked to prove that you either have sole custody of the child or suitable permission from the mother. I'm surprised the British embassy couldn't provide more information about this, because the problems may occur when you try to bring the child into the U.K.

• Like 1

For exit using UK passport you would have to show birth certificate and yes permission may be required if mother not with you. If mother is Thai you should obtain a Thai passport so child can return without visa/overstay/extensions. The Thai passport can be obtained in only a couple of days and only costs about 1,000 baht.

my thai wife died when she was a baby and she has been looked after well by the family , but now she is older she understands the whole situation and wants to be with pa.

so presumably i just show my late wifes death certificate ?

and all pertaining paperwork .

Just to re-iterate, you'll need to get her a Thai passport for departing Thailand, but also re-entering Thailand. If she comes back to Thailand using her British passport she'll be treated as a foreigner for the purposes of immigration and will be subject to Thai visa regulations.

If you as a British national are taking a Thai child out of the country, you may be asked to prove that you either have sole custody of the child or suitable permission from the mother. I'm surprised the British embassy couldn't provide more information about this, because the problems may occur when you try to bring the child into the U.K.

Strange answer, as he stated the child has dual nationality - UK & Thai - two passports.

Strange answer, as he stated the child has dual nationality - UK & Thai - two passports.

Where does the OP say that?

Patrick

Leave Thailand using the British Passport, they can't be charged overstay until 14 years old. But you will have to show that you have permission. Taking the child's birth certificate and the death certificate will be fine.

It is better though to have a Thai Passport as well as this is better for the child.

I've been through immigration many times, the first time they will always pull you up on a clean passport for a child, once you have left and come back you will not have to go through the same procedures again.

He said no such thing - that is why we asked. As he now says mother was Thai he should obtain Thai passport for exit/entry to Thailand and just use the UK passport for proof of not needing visa at exit and entry/exit of UK. Suspect she will be wanting to travel and perhaps live in both locations during her life and that is the best plan.

Should he use the child's Thai passport to exit the country will he need to obtain a UK visa for the Thai passport?

my thai wife died when she was a baby and she has been looked after well by the family , but now she is older she understands the whole situation and wants to be with pa.

so presumably i just show my late wifes death certificate ?

and all pertaining paperwork .

Now THAT is a problem. I can't wait to see the solution for this one.

I am not surprised at all. The British Embassy has localised nearly all the consular positions now and it's very hard to talk to anyone who has a clue or gives a dam_n about British citizens these days. Some years ago they had a mix of staff from the UK and locally employed look krueng and other Thais who spoke English very well and obviously understood the British culture and legal environment. Nowadays a visit to the consular section in Bangkok feels more like a visit to Thai Immigration or the Labour Ministry. As HMG's cost cutting measures bite ever harder, front office staff now speak heavily accented English and obviously have no clue about British culture or law. Any basic question results in an aggressive Thai Chinese bitch storming out of the back office to tell you that whatever you wanted to do can't be done, without bothering to listen or consider the case, and please leave now. I have sometimes only managed to get documents I needed by going back a second time and mercifully getting my case put to one of the UK vice-consuls who are usually able to understand the issues in an instant, if you have the chance to talk to them.

So don't expect any insightful or helpful advice. If your request is not on the list of things they can charge a fat fee for a few minutes work, get on your bike. If it's about visas to the UK, you will be told to ask VFS, the embassy's outsourced service and all email enquiries to the consulate are automatically forwared to VFS, who actually seem to have better informed and more polite Thai staff than the consulate.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 2

Don't ever be surprised what the British Embassy is prepared not to do! :D

I am not surprised at all. The British Embassy has localised nearly all the consular positions now and it's very hard to talk to anyone who has a clue or gives a dam_n about British citizens these days. Some years ago they had a mix of staff from the UK and locally employed look krueng and other Thais who spoke English very well and obviously understood the British culture and legal environment. Nowadays a visit to the consular section in Bangkok feels more like a visit to Thai Immigration or the Labour Ministry. As HMG's cost cutting measures bite ever harder, front office staff now speak heavily accented English and obviously have no clue about British culture or law. Any basic question results in an aggressive Thai Chinese bitch storming out of the back office to tell you that whatever you wanted to do can't be done, without bothering to listen or consider the case, and please leave now. I have sometimes only managed to get documents I needed by going back a second time and mercifully getting my case put to one of the UK vice-consuls who are usually able to understand the issues in an instant, if you have the chance to talk to them.

So don't expect any insightful or helpful advice. If your request is not on the list of things they can charge a fat fee for a few minutes work, get on your bike. If it's about visas to the UK, you will be told to ask VFS, the embassy's outsourced service and all email enquiries to the consulate are automatically forwared to VFS, who actually seem to have better informed and more polite Thai staff than the consulate.

This is grossly unfair. The British consul office in Chiang Mai could not be more helpfull. With an attitude like yours I am surprised anyone would even sell you a cup of coffee.

The procedure is to obtain Thai passport. There is no need to exit using UK passport as no entry had been made on it as far as we know - only if entry on that passport does it need to be used for exit. If no entry on that passport getting a Thai passport will allow exit using that with only a show of the UK passport to check-in staff to confirm no visa is needed for travel. As for passport we do not even know age so hard to advise - it appears full Thai paperwork is held by her if been living here since birth so issue of passport should be routine once father is available to sign if under age. Immigration has nothing to do with passport issue - that is an MFA service and very up-to-date and transparent so only if issue are encountered would a lawyer be required.

whistling.gifIt's best if she has a Thai passport to depart Thailand.

It will make things easier at the immigration.

On re-entering Thailand, if she uses her U.K passport she will be subject to overstay on a U.K. passport.

It's the PASSPORT that enters the country as far as immigration is concerned that determines the nationality of the person on that passport ... not the person.

So if she enters on her U.K. passport, she's from the U.K.

If she enters on her Thai passport. she's Thai.

The best way to solve any potential problems is as a U.K. citizen, she enters and leaves the U.K. on her U.K. passport

Entering and leaving Thailand, she uses her Thai passport.

Also, since you are able to prove she's your daughter, you shouldn't have any problem taking her to the U.K.

BUT it would be wise to be able to show her birth certificate, marriage papers for your Thai wife, and your Thai wife's death certificate.

Child trafficking is a big issue now, so they probably will ask questions (politely I hope) in the U.K.

Just be prepared with the documents they want, and it's not a problem.

It may be an inconvenience, but they have their job to do, protecting the children.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

He said no such thing - that is why we asked. As he now says mother was Thai he should obtain Thai passport for exit/entry to Thailand and just use the UK passport for proof of not needing visa at exit and entry/exit of UK. Suspect she will be wanting to travel and perhaps live in both locations during her life and that is the best plan.

Should he use the child's Thai passport to exit the country will he need to obtain a UK visa for the Thai passport?

No simply exit on the Thai passport & enter the UK on the UK passport. No problem.

Does the child have a Thai mother ?

If so obtain a Thai passport for her.

Then leave Thailand using the Thai passport. Enter the UK with with the UK passport.

Re enter Thailand with the Thai passport .

airline will not allow you to board with a thai passport with no visa

Then leave Thailand using the Thai passport. Enter the UK with with the UK passport.

Sorry, but it`s not as easy as that.

If she enters the UK with a British passport, they will want to know where she has come from and why there is no stamp in the passport to show that she has been staying and of her leaving Thailand. And and same applies if your daughter arrives back in Thailand using her Thai passport. Although it is legal to hold both British and Thai passports, using one passport to leave a country and another passport to arrive in another country, may cause you big problems.

A friend tried this on a year ago, was detained and questioned for several hours at Heathrow airport, eventually missing her plane.

If you decide to use your daughter`s British passport, then you may have to register her with Immigration, meaning having a visa stamp in her passport the same as any other expat living in Thailand. In that case your daughter would have no problems leaving Thailand, entering the UK and returning to Thailand on her British passport. All you would need is a re-entry visa from Immigration in her passport.

Or you could obtain a visa to enter Britain on her Thai passport and to use the same Thai passport to leave Britain and return into Thailand.

These are really the only 2 options you have. Try any other way, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

Is she registered in the Thai family house papers. If not she can't get a Thai passport. I take it she was born in Thailand so has a Thai birth certificate? My (our) half Thai kids were born in Holland so we had to get the Dutch birth certificate authorised by the Thai embassy there before we moved to Thailand. My wife registered them in her family house papers shortly after arriving in Thailand. They had Dutch passports already and we got new ones at the Dutch embassy in Bangkok. When we went for holidays in Holland we got them the Thai passports.

Has worked fine so far as long as you leave and enter Thailand on the Thai passport and enter and leave "farangland" on the foreign passport.

Note: airline staff is obliged to check for visa at check in so they have to show both passports. But only show the check in staff both passports - not the immigration as they can be quite anal about dual nationality sometimes.

Final note: make sure that they get a departure/arrival card when leaving Thailand and make sure the card is filled in and is still in the Thai passport upon re-entering Thailand. It's the same as with the arr/dep cards for us but the other way round.

• Like 1

Sorry, but it`s not as easy as that.

If she enters the UK with a British passport, they will want to know where she has come from and why there is no stamp in the passport to show that she has been staying and of her leaving Thailand. And and same applies if your daughter arrives back in Thailand using her Thai passport. Although it is legal to hold both British and Thai passports, using one passport to leave a country and another passport to arrive in another country, may cause you big problems.

A friend tried this on a year ago, was detained and questioned for several hours at Heathrow airport, eventually missing her plane.

If you decide to use your daughter`s British passport, then you may have to register her with Immigration, meaning having a visa stamp in her passport the same as any other expat living in Thailand. In that case your daughter would have no problems leaving Thailand, entering the UK and returning to Thailand on her British passport. All you would need is a re-entry visa from Immigration in her passport.

Or you could obtain a visa to enter Britain on her Thai passport and to use the same Thai passport to leave Britain and return into Thailand.

These are really the only 2 options you have. Try any other way, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

Yes UK immigration can be difficult but they simply may not refuse a UK passport. As you mentioned that your friend missed the flight at Heathrow this must have been at departure. Perhaps she showed the Thai passport. I must admit that the officer at departure from Schiphol airport did ask my daughters whether they were going back home -obviously because he saw that the Dutch passports were issued in Bangkok. They replied yes and that was fine.

One thing to bear in mind though is that as they are not residing in the Netherlands they are not insured for accidents etc. so we did take out a travel insurance.

Bettlejuice - I travel very regularly between Thai and my western passport, and often enough to the UK. While I don't dispute your story, doing the passport swap as many have described is the way to do it. No need for British visa's in Thai passports, etc. A british passport is the ulitmate right of entry into the UK and trumps a visa any day.

Yes true.

But it is as I said previously, you do so at your own risk and discretion. It`s a case of, some you win and some you lose, taking a big gamble. I have known some people who had terrible problems trying it on that way.

Personally I would not take the chance and would rather be safe than sorry. But again, up to everyone`s own discretion.

Doing the passport swap is definitely the routine procedure and what I have been doing with my 3 kids for eternity. Very occasionally I am just asked if they have 2 passports, but have never been required to show them.

Getting the Thai passport may be more complicated unless either you were in a registered marriage prior to the child being born, or having subsequently undertaken the legitimization process to ensure that you are recognized under Thai law as the legitimate father of the child. Under Thai law simply having your name on the birth certificate is not enough to prove legal custody/guardianship of the child.

Requesting a Thai passport usually takes the consent and physical presence of both parents/guardians. Without evidence of custody, and being able to provided appropriate documentation you may need the support of the Thai family member who is recognized as the legal guardian, along with your wife's death certificate and household book to get the Thai passport. These days they also like to ask for the national ID card of the child as these are also now required from a young age. This will normally be waived if you play dumb and promise to get the child an ID card soon!!

It should be straight forward once you get all the appropriate paper work in order. If you are in Bangkok go to the passport office at the Government complex in Chaengwattana as it is relatively quiet out there and you should be able to just ask them what is required.

wow so many opinions, biggrin.png

1, you can not make any Visa for schengen in thai passport if the child is citzisen of EU country!!!!!!!!!!

and o course it is not nessesary!

2. You can leave thailand with british passport for the child, even without the death certificate of mother or if she is alive with a paper from her,

beacuse this would mean all parents who travel alon only 1 part (mother or father) would have to show all the time a sign paper of the partner smile.png

3. the child is bristish citizen and Imigration and nobody can prvent a bristish citizen go back to UK, without a reason and how they know at airport that child has also thai citizenship? So maximum what can happen is an overstay stamp in british passport.

I travel with my 2 sons now 12 and 13 years old all over the world, never ask me anybody if I have a paper from mother of the child, even kids have nt same passport like me, they have czech and I have german passport.

It is not possible to refuse a citizen to enter his home country never ever!!!!

Beetlejuice - but what you've recommended is basically using a getting a Thai visa in a British passport to enter Thailand and using a Thai passport with a UK visa to enter the UK. A bit counter intuitive.