Khao Yai park 'not being ejected as heritage site'

webfact

Khao Yai park 'not being ejected as heritage site'
Kasem Chanatinart
The Nation

30208371-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The news of Dong Phaya Yen-Khao Yai National Park's possible removal as a World Heritage Site stems from misunderstanding and inaccurate information, the park's head, Krissada Homsud, said yesterday.

He expressed confidence that Thailand would be able to clearly explain itself at the meeting of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation's World Heritage Committee (WHC) in Cambodia from tomorrow until June 27.

Krissada said the Unesco website had published the WHC meeting agenda, including the national park issue. If the Dong Phaya Yen-Khao Yai problem remains unsolved, it could be listed as World Heritage Sites Under Threat 2014.

However, he said some people had misunderstood, out of good or ill-intention, and spread rumours online that Khao Yai was closed for rehabilitation as the forest had deteriorated or been hit by floods, while presenting negative information from the past.

Krissada said the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) had sent officials to gather information and hence had a good understanding. He said they were not upset and even understood the situation. He said the park had undertaken concrete measures to take care of and rehabilitate forestland. Expansion of Highway 304 (Nakhon Ratchasima-Kabin Buri), which would cut through the Khao Yai-Thab Lan forest, had not been done as the project was in the process of studying the environmental impact, there was no new case of forest encroachment and the old cases were in the legal process.

Krissada said the park had also brought three environmentally friendly electric cars to reduce pollution and had organised a campaign for eco-tourism, reduced garbage, and sought tourists' cooperation not to bring alcohol drinks into the park.

Thailand's representative in the WHC, Somsuda Leeyavanich, on Thursday had said the upcoming meeting included on its agenda Thailand's report on the "State of Conservation Reports Natural properties" regarding Dong Phaya Yen-Khao Yai.

The Unesco website had stated that Thailand would report on six issues involving Khao Yai - expansion of Highway 304 into forestland, discontinuity of forestland, forestland encroachment, unclear management plan, tourism and the dam and animals grazing in the meadow. Thailand had submitted previously presented reports at the WHC meetings in Paris and St Petersburg.

Khao Yai National Park covers 2,165.55 square kilometres of forestland across Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Nakhon Ratchasima and Saraburi.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-15

The news of Dong Phaya Yen-Khao Yai National Park's possible removal as a World Heritage Site stems from misunderstanding and inaccurate information, the park's head, Krissada Homsud, said yesterday.

The world just doesn't understand. :(

• Like 1

The news of Dong Phaya Yen-Khao Yai National Park's possible removal as a World Heritage Site stems from misunderstanding and inaccurate information, the park's head, Krissada Homsud, said yesterday.

The world just doesn't understand. :(

And we bought 3 electric cars. See how much effort we have made....

• Like 1

As a birder I was going to go to the park. I got there and it looked like a three ring circus. Wall to wall vendors. I left. I have talked to others that say very clean facilities. Maybe I just saw the front and formed a judgment. Closing the trails to visitors? Just a mess as far as I am concerned. I can clearly understand why it is in question for sure.

• Like 1

it's simple really.. Khao Yai still has wild Tigers within it's border, and Clouded Leopards (among other star residents). Case closed.. next! smile.png

And they keep building so many nice new illegal resorts for people to go and disturb them.

not true... there's none inside the park. Small government camp sites ok, only a couple & i've stayed at them both.. minimal disturbance.

• Like 1

Closing the trails to visitors? Just a mess as far as I am concerned. I can clearly understand why it is in question for sure.

they're not closed here at all.. it's just another new LOS red tape hurdle to jump through. No entry signs are up, but it's simply to deter poachers... get your free permit from park HQ & you're sorted ! wink.png

I just beooked a few days with Greenleaf and Khun Nine as a guide. Bird photography. last time I was there it was not too bad. The eco "terrorists" are linited to a fairly small area and at least Greenleaf oppose night watching with torches.

....just another 'free-for-all'......greed....land-grab.....money-grab.....business as usual in Thailand......

...twist and distort facts as suits your needs....and pockets....

Absolutely true...the whole area around Khao Yai is under massive development...everywhere you look on the mountain trees being felled to make way for yet more resorts, tourist attractions and golf courses...it has become so denuded of trees that we had floods in Pak Chong 3 years ago...the worst flooding in 50 odd years...the rain water now has no chance to seep into the ground but dumps straight into the LamTaKong River

• Like 1

Khoa Yai is gorgeous and fully deserves it status.

The kids just love Bonanza. It's just so authentic to the area. The cowboys and Indians, motocross, motor racing circuit.

And the log cabins. It's so nice to see old style Thai houses built on such gargantuan scale in their natural habitat.

Maybe you have never really been into the park?

Edited by KireB

The park yes, but the surrounding areas are becoming <deleted>.

World Heritage also includes the environment around the areas declared to an extent for certain management. It does not just start and stop at the fenceline.

They are failing miserably.

it's simple really.. Khao Yai still has wild Tigers within it's border, and Clouded Leopards (among other star residents). Case closed.. next! smile.png

When was the last time tigers were ever seen her ? long long long ago.

And there are hiking trails through the park? I think I'll give that a miss. Is the place supposed to be unspoiled scenery or an animal sanctuary?

And there are hiking trails through the park? I think I'll give that a miss. Is the place supposed to be unspoiled scenery or an animal sanctuary?

What....you cannot have both ?

If China is any indication, once an area gets World Heritage Site status, you can pretty much kiss it off.

I've been to a few of their's and they all seem to be chock full of new, bigger (huge, in fact) parking lots for the tour buses that now come in droves. And hundreds of new but already decaying kiosks selling tacky souvenirs to the new throng of tourists. And if you look right outside the sightline of the tourist trails, you'll see the piles and piles of garbage left behind by those same admirers of all things UNESCO.

Better they should call Khao Yai the "Thai Chernobyl". There's one place where nature is truly thriving. Sadly, for the wrong reasons, but the recent documentaries make me want to sneak in and camp out for a few weeks.

When you and I think UNESCO, we think significant natural or historic treasure. When some folks think UNESCO, all they think is $$$$$. Which way do you figure Thai's leaders will lean?

As Yingluk says...she WANTS eco tourism on the Maldives grand scale of excellence and she wants it NOW

• Like 1

The kids just love Bonanza. It's just so authentic to the area. The cowboys and Indians, motocross, motor racing circuit.

And the log cabins. It's so nice to see old style Thai houses built on such gargantuan scale in their natural habitat.

I have. Bonanza claims to be inside the park

Where does it claim that exactly ?

The world just doesn't understand. sad.png

And we bought 3 electric cars. See how much effort we have made....

cheesy.gif

If China is any indication, once an area gets World Heritage Site status, you can pretty much kiss it off.

I've been to a few of their's and they all seem to be chock full of new, bigger (huge, in fact) parking lots for the tour buses that now come in droves. And hundreds of new but already decaying kiosks selling tacky souvenirs to the new throng of tourists. And if you look right outside the sightline of the tourist trails, you'll see the piles and piles of garbage left behind by those same admirers of all things UNESCO.

Better they should call Khao Yai the "Thai Chernobyl". There's one place where nature is truly thriving. Sadly, for the wrong reasons, but the recent documentaries make me want to sneak in and camp out for a few weeks.

When you and I think UNESCO, we think significant natural or historic treasure. When some folks think UNESCO, all they think is $$$$$. Which way do you figure Thai's leaders will lean?

Khao Yai could be a great eco destination, IF, they had management that actually knew what they were doing. But that would depend on the Thai government ACTUALLY bringing in someone with unesco heritage experience, wildlife experience and eco experience.. what are the odds that Thailand would hire someone not Thai to manage this? you'll have better odds winning the lottery.. coffee1.gif

Where does it claim that exactly ?

Type bonanza khoayai into Google and that is precisely the statement that the Google result has. Agoda states "in" the national park. Even khaoyaiguide.com states "in" the national park.

He's right.