Russian Resort Owner beaten-up on Pattaya’s Walking Street

Lite Beer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handling oneself here will only trigger an escalation.

The mosai punk showed his martial arts prowess by summoning eight buddies who were only too happy to break the tedious monotony of their grub-like lives by getting a boot or two in on an overwhelmed loner.

Thai martial artistry ?? Eight against one with the very real possibility of knives or a gun being pulled the moment the outsider drops a few of them.

Maggots.

"four Ladyboy’s, three teenagers and one woman"[/size]

Not the "Hells Angels" ? rolleyes.gif[/size] A Russian RAMBO should have man handled that! tongue.png[/size] [/size]

At least to followup his BIG MOUTH beforehand! whistling.gif[/size] [/size]

I caught that too "Four ladyboys and three teenagers..." The posse sounded like a Motley Crew smile.png

But there is strength in numbers and given anough antagonists, even tough guys are over whelmed.

In any case Pattaya- never boring smile.png

I posted this yesterday on facebook:

Just had my first introduction to Thai men needing to "save face". I was walking along in a parallel soi to 11 (so probably 13?) , and this van was parked so I proceeded to walk around it in the street. This is common on soi 11. As I did so the van started to pull off (I was right next to it). So, I made one soft tap on the van to let him know I was there. The man asked me if I had a problem. He told me "it's a street". I said you have a mirror. You're supposed to use it (in case any traffic, motorbike, pedestrian is going by). So, he told me to "f*&^ you". I just kept walking away and bowing to him with my hands together in front of my face in typical thai style. He then made a gesture and sound like he was planning on coming after me with a knife to cut me up. So, I continued my gesture as I walked away trying to de-escalate the situation. He drove on down to pick up his wife/gf/who knows and then turn around stopped right next to me again essentially challenging me yet again. So, I just continued with the same gesture and walking away. I'm sure his girl was wondering what on Earth he was doing. Anyway, I got to thinking what would I have done if he decided to come after me anyway? This was not provoked at all except for the suggestion about the mirror (I already had some idea about this saving face from other posts). Anyway, I suppose that was my error. It's ok for him to complain about me being in the street, but not for me to say anything back. I suppose the soft knuckle wrap was too much for his poor ego as well.

• Like 2

Many guys are used to the "non Thai" reaction to heated exchanges, so they do not realize that a "f... you" etc. will rapidly go from zero to 100.

You are right. I'm always aware of the speed and volatility of the Thai temper. People can go from incredibly polite to extremely angry and violent in a flash. But this is true of many other nationalities too. You have to be aware of how your own behaviour will be received.

The nationals from former soviet bloc countries seem to be oblivious to how their behaviour impacts others. I've seen rude, arrogant ill mannered behaviour on many occasions from people from these countries, including at temples in Thailand. Maybe it's a legacy of their communist past. Many seem to think they are "hard nuts" and act agressively. Thai people IME don't take this attitude well, and will react.

I don't condone violence or 8 on one, but I wonder just how rude this guy was, possible fuelled by booze. Can't do that here and expect no consequences.

You actually don't have to do very much at all to get them to escalate to violence. See my prior post.

This post goes to the heart of the matter. In Thailand, you can get away with all sorts of things if you are polite. Rule #1 : Direct confrontation is to be avoided at all costs!

This is the case in many other Asian nations. I spent a year in East Timor, where the people are tiny, and generally polite, though a lot less sophisticated than the Thais. A foreigner trying to throw his weight around there will find himself confronted with a ferocious mob ready to fight to the death over what might have seemed a trivial matter.

It is a clash of cultures. Russians are notoriously rude, and live in a pirate society where the big people push around the smaller people. Many Thais have complained to me about Russian rudeness, and I am hardly surprised to see fights.

I myself am a big Swede with a black belt in martial arts, and I have learned how to survive working in war zones around the world by avoided direct confrontation - the harder they come, the harder they fall, as the great Budd Schulberg wrote.

Let us hope our Russian comrades learn to leave the nekulturny aggro at home. And please understand this is not an anti-Russian rant. There are idiots from all around the world, but there are just too many of them from Russia here in Pattaya for the Thais ro assimilate, and this is going to lead to big problems.

After all, comrades, this is their country, and is not Vladivostok South..:)

Many guys are used to the "non Thai" reaction to heated exchanges, so they do not realize that a "f... you" etc. will rapidly go from zero to 100.

You are right. I'm always aware of the speed and volatility of the Thai temper. People can go from incredibly polite to extremely angry and violent in a flash. But this is true of many other nationalities too. You have to be aware of how your own behaviour will be received.

The nationals from former soviet bloc countries seem to be oblivious to how their behaviour impacts others. I've seen rude, arrogant ill mannered behaviour on many occasions from people from these countries, including at temples in Thailand. Maybe it's a legacy of their communist past. Many seem to think they are "hard nuts" and act agressively. Thai people IME don't take this attitude well, and will react.

I don't condone violence or 8 on one, but I wonder just how rude this guy was, possible fuelled by booze. Can't do that here and expect no consequences.

The Russian guy looks like he could "Handle" himself; however, always remember that the Thais are never alone. One call and the Thai guy has 10 friends to back up his side of the disagreement :)

About once a year in the LOS one thai man may challenge someone to a solo fight. The rest of the time, it never even occurs to him, that honorable men fight themselves. Getting a gang of five or more, is how men with no honor fight. This is how 12 year old boys, who occupy the bodies of men fight. Zero risk. What can one say about this behavior? Absolute boldfaced cowardice. A complete lack of manhood. Wusses. Punks, twit behavior, devoid of manhood in any of its forms. Tiny, tiny men without pride or honor.

• Like 1

I'm sure theres more to this story. Fights don't just happen* It's usually about someone being a tough guy and it usually involves alcohol and women and pride.

* unless it's defending yourself against a thug trying to mug you.

The simple anwer is yes, they do have a aguy on stand by to take the pics

Sent from my KG1517-Max using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Pattaya One News is nothing more than the voice of the Pattaya BIB. The people involved with PON are told exactly where to go and exactly what to put on their awful web site. They do NO investigative reporting (and are always told to say what the farangs who die in their homes where wearing. (Very strange!)) Some people might know that I hate PON and the Pattaya Daily News --often due to their methods of invading the privacy of innocent people who have just experienced a personal tragedy and other tasteless approaches.The people who are responsible for these sites should be very very ashamed of themselves for a multitude of reasons. They must truly believe that karma does not exist because if it does, they have a ton of bad stuff coming their way.

I sort of wonder when the Russians mob will get involved and say enough is enough, and start fighting 10 against 1 like Thais? Really, they wouldn't because they don't need to. Actually, and even number of Russian with Sysmata training against twice the number of Thais would be a fun to watch. The Russians would win. Pattaya and Phuket are such cesspools.

• Like 2

and the 5am party drew the "finest class of people"- 4 ladyboys, 3 teenagers (in this town that usually means miscreants), and one elderly lady apparently "along for the ride". In a way I think much of Thai world is invisible to many Farangs. Land where food stalls, motodrivers, and vendors operate are often rented in one way or another-especially if the land is front on an operating business, hotel, restuarant, et. It's just one (of many many) possible scenarios, most of which often remain sort of invisible to the foreign eye.

Edited by bobthomas

I sort of wonder when the Russians mob will get involved and say enough is enough, and start fighting 10 against 1 like Thais? Really, they wouldn't because they don't need to. Actually, and even number of Russian with Sysmata training against twice the number of Thais would be a fun to watch. The Russians would win. Pattaya and Phuket are such cesspools.

Why would it be "fun"? You sound no better than the Thai mentality you're criticising.

The Russian guy looks like he could "Handle" himself; however, always remember that the Thais are never alone. One call and the Thai guy has 10 friends to back up his side of the disagreement smile.png

Which I had experienced many moons ago. Only a few ribs and my long farlang nose were broken. They never fight alone. And if you beat one, they come back to give you the rest.-w00t.gif

The Russian guy looks like he could "Handle" himself; however, always remember that the Thais are never alone. One call and the Thai guy has 10 friends to back up his side of the disagreement smile.png

+1

"A group of 8 people arrived consisting of four Ladyboys, three teenagers and one woman - See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/91407/russian-resort-owner-beaten-up-pattayas-walking-street/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PattayaOneNews+%28Pattaya+One+News%29#sthash.EYlkd2iw.BPsvRdHE.dpuf"

I wish I was there to see this funny situation! Did they hit him with sex toys?