Arrest warrant to be issued for American man who attacked, paralyzed maid in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this dude injured this woman to the point where she was not breathing, where were the cops? Watching the muay Thai?

If you bring a couple of women to a hotel room for a heavy drinking session , do you ask for two Thai police to be present in the room at all times in case you drink too much and fancy flinging a maid across the room.

I think this is more a case of 'after the event' - your posting on this is rather stupid, methinks!!!

Would you trust two Thai cops in your room whilst you are partying with a couple of girls? They would probably lift your wallet and all other valuables.

Nah! i always insist they wait outside. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

If this dude injured this woman to the point where she was not breathing, where were the cops? Watching the muay Thai?

I don't know about you, but the cops are not usually found to be in my hotel room. Are you implying they should have been there watching this take place? You made a very confusing post.

Yes they should have been in the room as it happened. If you are confused, I can recommend medication to ease the symptoms

If you bring a couple of women to a hotel room for a heavy drinking session , do you ask for two Thai police to be present in the room at all times in case you drink too much and fancy flinging a maid across the room.

I think this is more a case of 'after the event' - your posting on this is rather stupid, methinks!!!

Yes I can see that you are having trouble with the concept of a crime occurring and hotel staff calling the police. When people talk to you do they speak slowly?

"Permanently losing the ability to breathe" means instant death. There is no way someone can survive for more than a few minutes without being able to breathe. How can an article with such horrible English even be published? I had to re-read the article twice to kind of make the assumption the writer was trying to say that the maid has lost the ability to "breathe unaided".

I also agree that it is pretty weird that the name of this hotel was not mentioned. Was it the Sheraton? The Grand Millenium perhaps? It is horrible that this lady has been paralyzed by this incident and will never work again - her life has been ruined. This man, if he is definitely guilty of this crime needs to be brought to justice and punished. Where he comes from or looks like doesn't matter, he committed a despicable act, that's why he needs to be punished.

Good point. If she was paralyzed and could not breathe then she would have been dead within minutes of the injury.

The story is idiotic and garbled.

Suddenly he is drinking (clearly he must be in a drunken rage).

Suddenly he throws a woman on a bed (clearly he is violent without cause).

Suddenly he is checking out

-Is the woman still lying there?

-What? No room check prior to being given the green light to leave or to check the fridge for chargeable items?

-No one saw her lying there dead (because she can't breathe)?

Suddenly she is paralyzed and unable to breathe for the rest of her life

-Did she get up and leave

-Or did the paramedics or someone else come in and turn her over, causing the paralysis?

-If she is paralyzed, then why fix the cervical disc?

There are no connecting facts and that will be enough to throw this out.

If she left the scene of the crime under her own power (apparently so since there is no word of her dead body being found on the bed or in a dumpster since she "couldn't breathe")

If she did not report this to the police immediately (apparently not since there is no word of twenty or so Police Chiefs and Lieutenants combing his room.)

If she did not report this to anyone (nothing on this since no hotel staff report finding her dead body on the bed or in a dumpster since she "couldn't breathe" )

If there are no witnesses (apparently not since no has stepped forward to report that he slept overnight in the bed with a dead body in it and checked out the next day)

If there is no camera footage of one of her friends carrying her out in their arms whilst performing CPR, since she was paralyzed and couldn't breathe.

If there is no DNA trace (impossible to ascertain in a US court since by now any evidence has been tampered with and more than likely not been collected by Thai law standards as well as US standards and the crime scene is GONE! Sorry BIB, your piss poor criminal investigation tactics won't float in this pond)

If it is impossible to demonstrate to the jury that the Thai police are not honorable and just in character, and have never been accused of criminal or dubious activity towards the foreigner and to be shown to be in league with the accuser or the accused. Can anyone say "Jet Ski Scam"?

If, if , if...

Kiss this one good-bye folks. And incidentally, he gets my vote for fairness and a form of better justice since he is already slandered by over-eager people in a country known chiefly for lies and deceit and taking the foreigner for a ride.

It is a shame this same Thai system of incriminating a suspect could not have engaged for poor Mr. Mouncey

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

Yes I can see that you are having trouble with the concept of a crime occurring and hotel staff calling the police. When people talk to you do they speak slowly?

Actually, people talk to me normally.

Your initial post implied that she was injured because the cops weren't there.

I'm sure that if they were called they would have turned up pretty quickly. If however, the Hotel failed to call them in order to buy time to get their story straight to minimise the affects of attracting bad publicity then you can hardly blame the police can you!!!

What happened to the two party girls as they seem to have escaped the story ending is what interests me?

If she had such a cervical fracture she ceased breathing,

she would have been dead where she fell within minutes.

Not really sure how being thrown on a bed coud cause such a injury either.

Maybe if she hit the bed head or wall.

But if she was paralyzed and THEN moved badly or abruptly, as she was 'rescued'

and then was bagged by paramedics and breathing was done externally,

then he didn't cause the injury that stopped her breathing permanently,

but who ever moved her incompetently.

Too many inconstancies, and the hang the farang hue and cry in full bore.

Guilty until proven innocent.

Still sad for the poor maid, I hope she gets better care in future.

Edited by animatic

Great headline guys whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty.

Where did it say he was "guilty"?

The headline was very specific. "Arrest warrant to be issued for American man who attacked, paralyzed maid". Only on reading further do we find out that he's been accused of doing this. It sounds like a cervical disk was fractured, damaging the spinal nerve.

The injury sounds real, how it happened would seem to be speculation. My favourite fictional story would be: the maid came into the room uninvited, flew into a rage because the farang was shagging two other girls and didn't want to shag her. She attacked the farang, he threw her away and she fractured her spine falling -freak accident. Farang fled in a panic along with two girls. Or maybe even better, she ran at him to head-butt him, missed and fell, injuring herself. Or, while she was rushing him, ninjas appears, startling her so she fell and injured herself. So many options!

Let's see how sincere Americans are. Demanding the extradition of any foreigner for crimes committed in the US, but never sending a countrymen back to stand trial. Yes they can prosecute at home, but it says a lot about how relationships work with the Americans. It is a one way street.

Please remember where you are, or at least the source of the news.

SUSPECTED, is, I assume, the missing word?

The headline is 100% accurate. It is a warrant for his arrest because there is sufficient evidence, not a statement that he is quilty. English is a tricky langauge.

Sorry, but English must be even more tricky than you think. The headline is wrong. and you are assuming that there is irrefutable evidence which is not mentioned in this article, therefore, it is a mute point.

I fail to see how without eye witness testimony or video surveillance that this can be conclusively determined at this point in time and again there is no mention of of any of this in the article. English is indeed a most complex language, however ,it does does have a sustainable form and function which is more than can be claimed by either the Thai police or the local media.

Perhaps your next post can delve into your psychic abilities to know what I assume.

The headline is not wrong because it is what the police believe to true based on the evidence and it is the basis for the warrant. No where did I say it was irrefutable. Guilt has yet to be proven in a court or through a confession. This is a typical Thai story, written in a second langauge and is likely to be difficult for intelligent readers to properly understand the facts. However, readers on ThaiVisa always seem to have great insight and fantastic detective skills and as such can quickly draw conclusions and place guilt. (never mind what really happened)

"Permanently losing the ability to breathe" means instant death. There is no way someone can survive for more than a few minutes without being able to breathe. How can an article with such horrible English even be published? I had to re-read the article twice to kind of make the assumption the writer was trying to say that the maid has lost the ability to "breathe unaided".

I also agree that it is pretty weird that the name of this hotel was not mentioned. Was it the Sheraton? The Grand Millenium perhaps? It is horrible that this lady has been paralyzed by this incident and will never work again - her life has been ruined. This man, if he is definitely guilty of this crime needs to be brought to justice and punished. Where he comes from or looks like doesn't matter, he committed a despicable act, that's why he needs to be punished.

Good point. If she was paralyzed and could not breathe then she would have been dead within minutes of the injury.

The story is idiotic and garbled.

Suddenly he is drinking (clearly he must be in a drunken rage).

Suddenly he throws a woman on a bed (clearly he is violent without cause).

Suddenly he is checking out

-Is the woman still lying there?

-What? No room check prior to being given the green light to leave or to check the fridge for chargeable items?

-No one saw her lying there dead (because she can't breathe)?

Suddenly she is paralyzed and unable to breathe for the rest of her life

-Did she get up and leave

-Or did the paramedics or someone else come in and turn her over, causing the paralysis?

-If she is paralyzed, then why fix the cervical disc?

There are no connecting facts and that will be enough to throw this out.

If she left the scene of the crime under her own power (apparently so since there is no word of her dead body being found on the bed or in a dumpster since she "couldn't breathe")

If she did not report this to the police immediately (apparently not since there is no word of twenty or so Police Chiefs and Lieutenants combing his room.)

If she did not report this to anyone (nothing on this since no hotel staff report finding her dead body on the bed or in a dumpster since she "couldn't breathe" )

If there are no witnesses (apparently not since no has stepped forward to report that he slept overnight in the bed with a dead body in it and checked out the next day)

If there is no camera footage of one of her friends carrying her out in their arms whilst performing CPR, since she was paralyzed and couldn't breathe.

If there is no DNA trace (impossible to ascertain in a US court since by now any evidence has been tampered with and more than likely not been collected by Thai law standards as well as US standards and the crime scene is GONE! Sorry BIB, your piss poor criminal investigation tactics won't float in this pond)

If it is impossible to demonstrate to the jury that the Thai police are not honorable and just in character, and have never been accused of criminal or dubious activity towards the foreigner and to be shown to be in league with the accuser or the accused. Can anyone say "Jet Ski Scam"?

If, if , if...

Kiss this one good-bye folks. And incidentally, he gets my vote for fairness and a form of better justice since he is already slandered by over-eager people in a country known chiefly for lies and deceit and taking the foreigner for a ride.

It is a shame this same Thai system of incriminating a suspect could not have engaged for poor Mr. Mouncey

Your comments have no business being placed on this website. It isn't even important that the same story can be reported by multiple Thai media and read as is if it were a totally different event. Your logic and demands for facts, consistentancy, proper flow of events and clear explanations of what happened are irrelevant to the ThaiVisa readers to draw their conclusions.

(BTW-nice comment)

There's a ton of unclear, missing and questionable details in the accounts that have surfaced thus far in the media -- as other posters above have rightly pointed out.

If the woman is seriously injured, she deserves everyone's compassion.

But just how it happened and what role the American guy had in it remains pretty fuzzy and hardly deserving of the "hang 'em" calls, at least at this early point.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

This article is in another paper and says nothing about her being a maid.

Only that he took her and two other friends into his hotel room in the early hours of 14th May. Her friends left the hotel and about 30 minutes later she was found. Didn't say if he was in the room or left with the friends.

The hotel is in the sukhumvit area. FYI

Go figure

What are we supposed to "Go figure" ?

Sukhumvit road is 400km long so what is your point?

A lot of lawyers and doctors in this thread; or just a few who missed their calling and are pissed off with the world.w00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Be more specific; otherwise...

One jealous person in this thread, who missed his or her calling and feels threatened by legitimate questions and opinions.

Same like the 4 Thai guys who were arrested and ended up being sentenced to death for the murder of the Thai American teeenager years ago, a story that was posted here in recent days???

They all either died in prison or shortly after being released -- released years later after it was disclosed that the Thai police investigator had gotten a tuk tuk driver to entirely make up (fake) the whole story of having seen the guys carrying the girl's body...testimony that led to their convictions. When in fact, the killer/killers were an entirely different group.

Let's hope the Thai "justice" system operates just a little better in this case.

• Like 1

Just a thought, did he check out the next morning and headed to the airport, or did he check out and hid until he got a flight???

Whichever does not mean guilty, anyone, even first timers would know not to expect a fair trial, it would be about money. Also he is likely married back home

Look what happened to the world bank guy, guilty or not, the maid in that case made some good cash from it.

The paralyzed maid was still in the bed??

The hotel would have the truth, not to mention his two drinking friends ( golf partners to his wife )

So many sad and borderline ridiculous posts on here. Questioning the wording in the article and petty arguments etc etc. If the Thai authorities deem there to be enough evidence to issue an arrest warrant, then I hope they manage to get him to stand trial and if found guilty he should be locked up for a very very long time. Meanwhile there is some poor woman whose life will never be the same.

No doubt one of you will pick holes in what I've said, go for it, seemingly, many have nothing better to do.

• Like 2

The headline is wrong and any attempt to defend it or say otherwise would also be futile. The man may be and probably is guilty...however, the press and us ignorant spectators can't say one way or the other with any certainty until ALL the facts come out in court and the man has had a chance to be defended by competent legal representation.

English is only tricky to those who don't take it at it's face value...This headline clearly says he paralyzed a woman. blink.png SMH at some of the posts here defending the headline or hanging this dude high already.

Doesn't matter that you live in Thailand. Thailand also has a system that is at least, in theory built is on the idea of 'innocent till proven guilty'. So to tell someone to shut up because you're in Thailand now is only reinforcing the status quo of ignorance towards what in essence is actually injustice.

Are you sure the headline is "100% accurate"

Although I am not an English teacher, nor was an English major I can say that the headline is indeed in misleading.

"Arrest warrant to be issued for American man who attacked, paralyzed maid"

Regardless of whether or not an arrest warrant from the Thai police does NOT in any way provide that he did indeed attack and paralyze the maid.

If they said "Arrest warrant to be issued for an American that is presumed to have attacked and paralyzed maid", that would have been correct.

It should say; "Arrest warrant applied for American who attacked maid." In English you can use 'poetic license' to headline a story, with full details in the article.

The actual headline in the article in Thai in Manager consists of 3 separate clauses in a way that would not be used in English.

"Hunting a Yank.........Co-ordinating with the embassy.............Thai girl beaten and left disabled"

That is the actual headline in the original article.

The article also says that the girl was able to crawl when discovered by hotel staff and talk about her pain and what had happened. Clearly her injury has worsened as now she is apparently totally disabled from the neck down. Big advert for the use of a neck brace with severe neck injury.

• Like 1

What a nasty evil individual being drunk is no excuse for putting a defenceless maid on a ventilator for the rest of her life, I hope he gets a speedy extradition from the USA to face justice in a Thai court and gets a hefty sentence appropriate to match that poor maids life sentence.

I guessing it is her word against his.

Anyone thought of that ?

Maybe. Which word has more clout in court?

Thai or US court ?

I don’t quite get this (sorry I am not undermining this poor girls tragic plight) if she was injured to the point of losing her ability to breath on her own she should be dead according to the story above. I am presuming the mere fact that he managed to escape was that she was not found immediately and if she were not found immediately she should indeed have passed away there and then. It sounds to me that she indeed sustained a cervical fracture in the attack but when help arrived this was when the actual nerve damage was done! I would also be very concerned (apart from the missing alleged perpetrator) that her ability to breath on her own was actually compromised by the rescuers and medical staff attending to her after the event. Very sad indeed if a terrible attack was made worse by people helping who are not qualified to do so. I am presuming a lot but the report does not seem to make sense...well to me anyway.

Fair guess, because the gibberish of the Google-translated Thai press indicates exactly this.

"Then the hotel staff recently heard a woman wailing cry. So I rushed to the room to find Miss 'months' clothing, men are crawling out of the room with his racers. And complained of pain in the neck too. The victim said the abuse I threw a fall from bed. The hotel staff was rushed to the hospital, police accident occurred at approximately 1:00 to 3:00 pm on May 14 last. Are collected as evidence. Moreover, the coordination office of Immigration that John has returned the United States. Up to 0975 Sqn flight at Suvarnabhumi Airport. To date is May 15 at 11:00 PM ago despite official rhetoric to approve arrest warrants. The Southern Bangkok Criminal Court. Tomorrow (June 17) before synchronization American embassy to track down the criminals continued."

Victim was still able to 'complain'; to speak', and evidently breathing in the hotel room after the alledged assault. If the lawyer of the guy finds this piece, he's off the hook for a serious crime.

The fact that this guy left a girl injured in his room, didn't check out of his hotel, went directly to the airport and left the country heavily suggests somebody fleeing the scene of a crime or very panicked about something.

• Like 1

Please remember where you are, or at least the source of the news.

SUSPECTED, is, I assume, the missing word?

..."...reportedly..." was the word used in the this article.