Blatantly ripped off 1000 baht

invogue

I am really upset about what happened today.

I went to a market in Bangkok and selected 5 items which equalled 370 baht. This was confirmed on a calculator that she held up and showed me the amount.

All I had in my wallet was 3 x 1000 baht notes as I had just been to the ATM.

So I handed the lady a 1000 baht note and she disappeared behind a wall and came back with a 20 baht note for change.

I'm guessing she thought I was a stupid foreigner who couldn't count. I stood there indicating I wanted my remaining 610 baht change and she just kind of ignored me and looked in the other direction.

I didn't want to play any games with her so I handed back the merchandise and the 20 baht note and indicated I was cancelling my transaction and wanted my money back. She stalled, disappeared behind the wall for another minute and came back and handed me a 100 baht note.

I shook my head and gave her the 100 baht note back and took out another 1000 baht note and kind of waved it around. I really didn't know what to do. I don't speak Thai which obviously made things really difficult. I raised my voice a bit which I know is a taboo in Thai culture but the woman was blatantly stealing from me. Then a couple of other shop owners came over and one spoke a little English. I tried to explain what happened to her but she didn't understand. I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere so I took the 2 bags of merchandise that was sitting on the table and decided I had to give up the 610 baht. Then the shop owner lady grabbed the bags off me and said 'mai chai', which I do know means 'cannot'. She then spoke in Thai to the other lady who spoke a little English and she told me the woman said I hadn't paid for it yet. By this point I was really upset, I burst into tears and walked off.

The thing that really upset me was that I go to these markets all the time, I spend a lot of money there and I always give extra money to the shop owners because they are obviously really poor. If something costs 80 baht I will usually just give 100 baht and tell them to keep the change. I will probably never go there again now. I was really upset about being blatantly and blindly conned.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else and can anyone tell me how I could have handled this situation better?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never known of this happening before.

But thanks for letting me know, as my sister is going Bangkok tomorrow I must warn her, and make sure she has small money.

But really, never have experienced this before, not have heard if it before.

Only in bars, like for instance, when I ordered a sang som and coke, when received they gave me a glass of coke, thinking i was drunk and would t notice and I was with my thai wife at the time found it really strange as this hasn't happened to me before.

Of course there is no need to give exact change. Just I guess in some rare cases a 1000 baht note is just too tempting for some when they think/know they can get away with it.

My main issue with such markets is subtle f-rang related overcharging. You have to shop alot to know when it is happening and then with market fluctuations it isn't always clear. Sometimes I feel the prices at such markets aren't much different than in cleaner grocery stores, but it depends on the specific items.

Edited by Jingthing

You burst into tears and walked off?? Wimp.

Are you a ......

Yes, she is......

But thanks for letting me know, as my sister is going Bangkok tomorrow I must warn her, and make sure she has small money.

Only in bars, like for instance, when I ordered a sang som and coke, when received they gave me a glass of coke, thinking i was drunk and would t notice and I was with my thai wife at the time found it really strange as this hasn't happened to me before.

What rock did you just crawl from under? One of the oldest scams in the book. If you have never had it happen to you, consider yourself lucky and forewarned.

I made a drunken mistake my first trip to Thailand, gave a 500 baht tip meaning to give 50. After the receiver did a victory dance, there was no turning back. It happens. You just move on. It's a crappy feeling but who hasn't been scammed sometimes in life for much more than 1000 baht?

• Like 1

Same as others have said never take big notes into a place like that, i would always have taken 3300 out for smaller money, or make a point of its 1000 when handing over. I dont see any problem raising your voice, nobody can tell me they don't under same situation, its another myth. lesson learnt but doubtful on the other parties logic.

yes also agree tipping place like that went out the window years ago for me along with the Land Of "Smiles",

Edited by marstons

Are you a ......

Yes, she is......

What rock did you just crawl from under? One of the oldest scams in the book. If you have never had it happen to you, consider yourself lucky and forewarned.

I've been here 7 years, and normally buy bottles.

Was with family and my wife so was in an unusual bar, I have heard if it happening, but never have experienced it. Was quite embarrassed actually as is my sister and bf first time in Thailand. No wonder people get put off.

So by trying to do good, tipping 20 bth many times, she appears to be an easy victim for the scammers !! She tries to do GOOD !!!!!!!!!! Whatever her, mistakenly maybe, perceptions are of the foodstallowners. They must cherish her and give a good service and price so she comes back to them next time. Not cheat her. Brings them money constantly, now she will not return. Hopefully.

"Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else and can anyone tell me how I could have handled this situation better?"

Never try to buy anything from a market stall without something resembling the correct change,go to 7/11 and buy a can of Coke or bottle of water or something if you don't have it.Although Thais are generally reasonably honest about this,I'm sorry but you must look like an easy target!

Same with taxis as I had it the other day,my Aussie mate tried to pay a 200 baht fare with 500 baht and the scumbag taxi driver claimed he had no change!Luckily I had some so I scrunched it up and threw it at him,he went off cursing but who cares,dickheads like that make it worse for everyone and give all Thais a bad name!

It's very possible he didn't have change, you're lucky you didn't get beaten up for such an act.

Are you a ......

Yes, she is......

Consider yourself lucky you didn't get a double measure.

The barkeep must have had some varnish removal work planned for the next day........................tongue.png