Blatantly ripped off 1000 baht

invogue

Regular gifts of extra money to the shopkeepers, paying with thousand baht notes, being a westerner - it was probably only a matter of time before someone tried it on. It's worth calling out the amount eg 'pun baht' loud and clear as you're handing over your cash, shows you know where you stand.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i go into 7/11 and hand over 1000baht note i show everyone around me so they all know i gave a 1000 note . it always works for me

In my view there is little reason to be cautious in 7/11s. Those are great places to get lots of change with no stress and full confidence. I've never done anything special offering 1000 baht notes there and never a problem. I think in other situations sometimes, yes calling out the note amount is a good idea.

• Like 2

Every time you pay for ANYTHING in ANY country, including your own, all you have to do is hold up the note and TELL the vendor how much you are giving them and eyeball them. If the till is right there as in a 7/11, or regular retail outlet then that should be enough.

If it's in a market or stall where it's likely the vendor will stuff your money in his money bag or maybe disappear behind a curtain, DO NOT let go of your note/s, just wave it at them and wait until they assemble or fetch the change and then exchange your money for their change. if they don't like what you are doing and start to argue or debate, thank them kindly and bugger off - the same stuff will be for sale at the next stall.

To the OP - sorry you got ripped off, but this is really Travelling 101 basics. Consider it a relatively inexpensive lesson that I'm sure you won't repeat.

Also, it would take the average person all of 15 minutes to learn the language for numbers 1-10,000 in Thai, even just the 1-20,100-900,1,000, 10,000. Suggest you give it a crack and then you can proudly hold up your 1,000 baht note and say "nung pan baht".

If something cost 80 baht in a market you pay 80 baht you do not tip you wait for you 20 baht change.Do not believe that these old girls at the market have the arse out of their pants.Same as everywhere in the world 95% of the people are good today you struck one of the bad ones

Firstly,what's a taxi driver doing not having change for 500 baht?

-

That's very silly - it's very common here for taxis to (pretend to) not have enough change, in the hope the silly tourist will say "never mind" and give a huge tip, as many do.

If I'm silly enough to forget to have loads of small before taking a taxi, I tell them to go to the nearest 7-11 when this comes up, but it is a pain.

Getting on buses even more so back home you're not allowed to board without exact change at least not like that here but they get annoyed even at changing 100B if you pull out anything bigger they look at you like you've got two heads.

At ATMs if you want 2000 get 1900, then next BTS or trip to 7-11 always use the biggest notes until you've got a pocket full of smalls, so when you're dealing with the small vendors you have close to the right amount.

Usually the vendor has their change in a purse or bag around their shoulder, maybe this person wasn't the vendor at all, often I have seen other people step in when the vendor takes off for a wee walk, usually the neighbouring shop but who knows?

• Like 1

Take it as a lesson learned and move on. We've all had it in one way or another at least once. Not in a market for me, except some woman trying to charge me 120 Baht / kilo for potatoes. Just laughed at her.

Mine was when I used to pay in 1000 baht notes in bars when wasted. Only the next morning when I checked my money and saw I had spent a few thousand more than I thought I possibly could have did I realise the change never came.

As other have said don't tip in markets or pretty much anywhere and only when you get good service. Although your intentions were kind you will soon come across someone looking to take advantage. You've set yourself up as an easy target as others have said.

The market I use is wholesale and retail. The retail stalls are double the price of the wholesale. The market vendors are not poor, their employees yes, but most will be family.

370 baht at one market stall does seem over the top anyway and for 3 items. What and how much were you buying ?

Current prices at Klong Toei just for comparison:

Ngo & Mancout B20 for 5 kg, 10/kg for beauty. Huge bunch of large bananas B10, smaller ones B5.

Pineapples B5 for small, B10 for large.

Pumpkin B8 per kg.

B40 gets a full armload of greens.

I could barely carry B370 worth of fruit and veg, takes two of us to carry B500's worth and too big to take on the bus, have to take a tuk-tuk home.

And we buy from at least a dozen different vendors. . .

370 at 1 market stall over the top ? Not if you buy quality fruit and more then a kg per item off it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It would have to be very high quality fruit or a lot of kilograms.

Oranges are expensive some of the better ones are 100 bt a kg. Mango good quality is expensive too.

Yes seen both cheaper too at the market but i do taste the difference.

370 at 1 market stall over the top ? Not if you buy quality fruit and more then a kg per item off it.

It would have to be very high quality fruit or a lot of kilograms.

Oranges are expensive some of the better ones are 100 bt a kg. Mango good quality is expensive too.

Yes seen both cheaper too at the market but i do taste the difference.

Go to Makro for the oranges. thumbsup.gif

Yes you were robbed. As you are a regular to those markets I would make a point of returning as often as possible, do some window shopping at her stall then buy the same items from the stall next to her and make sure she knows you tipped the other lady and remember to smile at the one who ripped you off when you tip that lady.

Do that often. smile.png

If you do that often you have gto tip a lot

If I really do not have the near money, I say ''Pom sia jai, pan nung'' (sorry about the spelling), this tells them you and they KNOW it is 1000bht note. smile.png

indd, and they think you are a <deleted> because you have just told them that you are broken-hearted because you have a thousand baht.

perhaps they assume that it is your last thousand baht and you are heart broken to have to break it.

i have honestly never had trouble with this, but most definitely in clubs and out about I do establish denomination before handing over cash

If I really do not have the near money, I say ''Pom sia jai, pan nung'' (sorry about the spelling), this tells them you and they KNOW it is 1000bht note. smile.png

indd, and they think you are a <deleted> because you have just told them that you are broken-hearted because you have a thousand baht.

perhaps they assume that it is your last thousand baht and you are heart broken to have to break it.

i have honestly never had trouble with this, but most definitely in clubs and out about I do establish denomination before handing over cash

It usually is my last note sad.png ..............................cheesy.gif

I always try to have small notes on me when shopping in places like this. They don't always have the change needed to break a one thou' note. However, on the odd occassion when I have nothing smaller, I always make a point of offering my apologies that I have nothing smaller than a one thou note, showing it to them, but not handing it over until they say that it is okay as they have change.

Also, I would never give them more than they ask for, poor or not. That is ridiculous and makes you appear dim.

Of course there is no need to give exact change. Just I guess in some rare cases a 1000 baht note is just too tempting for some when they think/know they can get away with it.

My main issue with such markets is subtle f-rang related overcharging. You have to shop alot to know when it is happening and then with market fluctuations it isn't always clear. Sometimes I feel the prices at such markets aren't much different than in cleaner grocery stores, but it depends on the specific items.

I'm sorry for this lady,but to be honest she needs to toughen up a bit.Nobody tips a market trader. She is giving out the wrong vibes,and set her self up for the inevitable rip off. which has now happened! never part with a 1000 baht bill,this is big money to some traders,had she been in Thailand a little longer,she will see the efforts most honest businesses go to,and try to change it for you,and give you the correct change!

Just as a footnote: newcomers need to know the value of money in Thailand,1000 baht,or 3 days wages,x that by 3 days wages in our own Countries,and then the real value emerges.

it is not three days wages, it is MINIMUM wage x 3

That was just a rough conversion to make a point. i.e 3 x a days wage = 900 baht + 100 baht remaining! happy now?

It usually is my last note sad.png ..............................cheesy.gif

Flat ?

You're assuming the note will be retrievable by the time the TP get there?

She did go behind the stall area, presumably buried somewhere back there, your word against hers.

Not worth all the fuss anyway, unless you've got plenty of time and enjoy feeling "outraged" like some. . .

You're assuming the note will be retrievable by the time the TP get there?

She did go behind the stall area, presumably buried somewhere back there, your word against hers.

Not worth all the fuss anyway, unless you've got plenty of time and enjoy feeling "outraged" like some. . .

Are you talking to me?

Easy way to get around these things. Before paying, ask 'do you have change for 1000 baht?' Hold it up for all to see. For many small store owners, this is a courtesy. For the small proportion of scammers, it stops them from doing the 'you only gave me 100 trick'.

Very few mistakes are made after that.

Yes this is excellent advice. It would help to know a few phrases in Thai as well (she knew "Mai Chi" ) at least to say as Samran has suggested for starters - and the ability to say 1000 baht note is not hard either. Write them down and put them in a small diary or something to rehearse if you have to. Speaking in Thai when ordering also makes for safer transaction - if you can speak the lingo, you aren't a tourist and may have someone that can assist you - and will notice a 1000 baht in deference to a 100. You will also get stuff cheaper. When my parents come to visit, twice a year or so, my mum likes to do the markets. When they ask about prices in English they are given tourist prices - usually I stand back and watch, then go back and haggle in Thai - as soon as the Thai comes out the prices are adjusted (although still need a little haggling usually) - when you can laugh and say "I'm not a tourist" then prices become realistic. You don't need to be fluent to haggle, tell them its too expensive, ask for a discount or call them a thief or liar (loudly) when it does come to it.

As everyone else has said - use smaller notes, use a Tesco Express or 7-11 for change if needs be. Also, don't tip vendors - tip waitresses fine - but not vendors.

• Like 2