Bangkok: Red Bull heir's Ferrari crash indictment postponed for a fourth time

webfact

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prosecutors said that they were still waiting for more testimony from police

In most countries, if a police officer was killed and dropped on the side of the road like garbage the police would be eager to present their evidence.

In most countries, the perpetrator would be lying in a prison hospital with broken bones and no teeth after a nasty fall. Unless the perpetrator was rich, of course. That applies in every country.

In Britain, Charles Saatchi, wealthy PR magnate and Conservative Party donor was photographed choking his wife in public. He went to a police station and accepted a police caution.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigella-lawson-photos-charles-saatchi-1960358

The Telegraph ran a few stories about their 'passionate relationship' and photographed them cosying up together and suddenly the story isn't news any more.

It's not just Thailand, bros.

Did I just miss the part, where he ran over his wife with a sports- car, himself being drunk and full of cocaine, dragging her body 200 meters down the road, leave her to die, drive home, try to bribe a cop, try to turn an innocent "servant" into a scapegoat....???

No. That thing you missed was the point.

No, YOU missed the point. Let me make it clear for the hard of thinking; If Saatchi had done what the Red Bull heir had done, he would be in jail by now. Savvy?

• Like 1

Will it even matter when this guy gets a suspended sentence anyway. If you have enough $$$ anything can be bought. We've seen it time and time again.

I agree with you entirely but wasn't only yesterday we saw this headline?

Newly reshuffled Cabinet determined to rid Thailand of corruption

Wouldn't this be a great place to start?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually when you really think about it, Its not a bad Idea. You kill someone with your car and you go to jail Right ?. What about the family of the dead person.

So instead make it a rule If you kill someone you have to pay money Hit someone where it really hurts I don't really think jail is the answer for anyone in a car accident.

The family gets vengeance and nothing else But how about the earning power of a person for life 2 million 4 million or more So why not make that the rule instead

You know paying money is not the worst thing in the world if it helps to make the family whole again.

Define 'accident' and then look up 'culpability'. . .

Restitution is already practised here - the wealthy are shown wai-ing and doling out some cash while the peasants are seemingly grateful that they get some dosh . . . and the wealthy or influential are off to drive another day.

Those not able to pay either just get off or go to jail

Not really a well-thought our argument, sorry

I'm not defending the Thai guys behavior, but in the US poor people usually rely on public defenders and the rich hire $500 an hour defense attornys.

Guess who does better in court? smile.png

All the Thai bashers on here don't seem to get it that rich people are treated differently from poor people in most all countries. Money talks and rich people walk.

And you don't appear to get that there is a much wider wealth gap here than in 'most all countries' and that 'rich' here means that one guy has more money than the other,Thai or not so hardly 'Thai bashing' is it, therefore, those with the money get to pay/win in this particular country which is vastly more corrupt than most other countries. Geddit?. Do keep up. Love the passive/aggressive smiley BTW.

Edited by jpeg

Actually when you really think about it, Its not a bad Idea. You kill someone with your car and you go to jail Right ?. What about the family of the dead person.

So instead make it a rule If you kill someone you have to pay money Hit someone where it really hurts I don't really think jail is the answer for anyone in a car accident.

The family gets vengeance and nothing else But how about the earning power of a person for life 2 million 4 million or more So why not make that the rule instead

You know paying money is not the worst thing in the world if it helps to make the family whole again.

Dear God, here's a lesson in Thai Law for ya. The Accused, having been found guilty, must pay restitution AND will be handed a sentence/have a Criminal Record. This sentence is mitigated by how much the Accused has already been paid and accepted by the Victim.

Contrary to most beliefs on this forum, you cannot just pay a bung and walk.

All the Thai bashers on here don't seem to get it that rich people are treated differently from poor people in most all countries. Money talks and rich people walk.

This is indeed true in all societies whether it is due to financial worth or political or business positions, however as has been already stated the gap twixt the rich and the poor in this country is indeed an obscene chasm of enormous size.

A few hundred thousand baht and a few flowers and a super grovel with a few wai's thrown in for good measure and those with the aforementioned attributes swan off into their closeted dream world cushioned from the realities of the daily grind that the greater majority of Thai folk endure.

A recent report stated the 4% of the Thai population held and controlled 90% of Thailand's wealth.bah.gif

One must ask just how much of that 4% do the owners of the Red Bull label own? Enough it seems to delay the judicial process and it would seem to also influence the verdict in this horrifying matter as they wish to see it delivered.

• Like 1

The law generally is supposed to act as a deterrent to future crime by punishing current crime. If the jails were full of hiso Thais who had run over people, future hiso would be more careful. Ok forget about that, that concept would need to use forward thinking which is in short supply here in Thailand.

Regarding financial restitution, I actually agree with the concept. If you have damaged a family by killing one of its members, you should pay money to assist them. The issue I have here is the amount, and what percent of total assets that should be. Then a financial payoff for a crime can serve two purposes. Help the family, and act as a deterrent to similar crime in the future. So for the Red Bull brat to pay a couple of million baht is less than a joke. It would be the equivalent of me running over a Thai, and paying the family one baht. After I would have no fear of running over another Thai, if the penalty was so small.......

But the funny part is I suspect the police who were paid off to sort of make all this go away most likely received far more than the family of the office that was killed..

Edited by EyesWideOpen

• 3 weeks later...

I just read elsewhere that he didn't show for the hearing so the statute of limitations kicks in for the speeding charge and he's free on that one.

There was a doctor's certificate tendered from a Singapore doctor saying he needed to rest for 'a day or two' so couldn't attend.

A warrant has been issued for his arrest on the other charges.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

That's funny, the police seemed to make up their mind pretty quick regarding me speeding.

Caught, convicted and fined on-the-spot most expediently.

all you have to say is..... Lawyer. ... yes they are expensive. but just saying it.... will make them think twice because they have to get one as well. and... well... police stations are not financed to hire one.

i get stopped by the police at EVERY road block becasue i am brown and driving a humble car. there has never been a road block that i was passed by. becasue of this. i have developed, and placed some very time wasting devices in my car. i have a bag of oregano. and i have old shooting targets in the trunk. i occasionally pretend to be drunk. and when they send me over to their superiors im dead sober. lol. they waste my time i waste theirs.

honestly, if there were criminals behind me they would be passed. hmm. maybe i can offer services like this.

• Like 2

That's funny, the police seemed to make up their mind pretty quick regarding me speeding.

Caught, convicted and fined on-the-spot most expediently.

all you have to say is..... Lawyer. ... yes they are expensive. but just saying it.... will make them think twice because they have to get one as well. and... well... police stations are not financed to hire one.

i get stopped by the police at EVERY road block becasue i am brown and driving a humble car. there has never been a road block that i was passed by. becasue of this. i have developed, and placed some very time wasting devices in my car. i have a bag of oregano. and i have old shooting targets in the trunk. i occasionally pretend to be drunk. and when they send me over to their superiors im dead sober. lol. they waste my time i waste theirs.

honestly, if there were criminals behind me they would be passed. hmm. maybe i can offer services like this.

I would rather deal with the cheaper, less corrupt person!

And don't really like to waste my or their time.

• 4 months later...