Bangkok: Red Bull heir's Ferrari crash indictment postponed for a fourth time

webfact

movsrus, on 20 Jun 2013 - 10:09, said:snapback.png

Justice in Thailand is just like it is in the USA. You get the justice you can afford to buy not that which you deserve. Just ask all those fat cat bankers that destroyed so many peoples lives in the mortgage fiasco of a couple years ago. Not one of those criminals went to jail and they all are back making money hand over fist.

Here in Thailand some dumb s@#t kid has a Ferrari and kills a cop due to negligence and speed then tries to avoid responsibility by driving off. Nine months later and he still hasn't been charged. Yeah, justice in action. NOT!

Yeah, those 'fat-cat' bankers should be dragged out into the street and shot. Nevertheless, I don't quite see the similarities between a banker who steals millions/botches billions in trades and a clearly intoxicated billionaire heir who physically murders a local police officer, except money. One is a thief and one is a murderer. In my very limited experience, it always seemed that those guilty of even threatening police officers in the US tended to die in a hail of gunfire. But hey, maybe you're right. Same, same. I guess murder and theft are both crimes...

Then again, the Enron folks, Bernie Madoff,and others seem to have actually gone to prison for stealing money. Grandson Red Bull is not going to see trial for running over a human being in the street and driving off. Hmmm. Trying to see your perspective here.

Edited by Unkomoncents, Today, 11:20 .

Justice in Thailand is just like it is in the USA. You get the justice you can afford to buy not that which you deserve. Just ask all those fat cat bankers that destroyed so many peoples lives in the mortgage fiasco of a couple years ago. Not one of those criminals went to jail and they all are back making money hand over fist.

Here in Thailand some dumb s@#t kid has a Ferrari and kills a cop due to negligence and speed then tries to avoid responsibility by driving off. Nine months later and he still hasn't been charged. Yeah, justice in action. NOT!

Yeah, those 'fat-cat' bankers should be dragged out into the street and shot. Nevertheless, I don't quite see the similarities between a banker who steals millions/botches billions in trades and a clearly intoxicated billionaire heir who physically murders a local police officer, except money. One is a thief and one is a murderer. In my very limited experience, it always seemed that those guilty of even threatening police officers in the US tended to die in a hail of gunfire. But hey, maybe you're right. Same, same. I guess murder and theft are both crimes...

Then again, the Enron folks, Bernie Madoff,and others seem to have actually gone to prison for stealing money. Grandson Red Bull is not going to see trial for running over a human being in the street and driving off. Hmmm. Trying to see your perspective here.

Unkomoncents

Money is the point and what both your cited examples have in common. You get the justice you can afford. This kid will walk because he has the money to buy his way out of it. The "fat cat bankers" in the US had the money to buy lawyers and politicians so they could walk off scott free.

That is my whole point- you have money and rules that apply to most of us don't apply to them.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Yea, Oj's life was just peachy after he was found innocent in a criminal court

What it comes down to is that Thai people will accept this kind of thing; Americans just won't

• Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was ever any question that the Thai judicial system has some severe problems, there isn't anymore. For a culture that puts so much importance on saving face, it seems they don't care how much of a laughing stock they are viewed globally with this one. They may as well issue a statement saying that this awful piece of Red Bull garbage is too important to touch, and he now has carte blanche to do whatever he wants, including murder.

Don't piss this Junior Red Bull a**hole off if you encounter him. He can kill you and just laugh, knowing that it's impossible to convict him of anything.

Yes but you fail to recognise Thailand IS the globe, in Thai eyes.

• Like 1

Those moaning about it, just remember even 15 years ago this wouldn't have even been out on the public domain.

I can't imagine how arbitrary justice was 50 years ago. One day, just one day someone in this supposedly exalted position will get put in the clink.

I am going to hang around to watch that wondrous day

In the front door and then straight out of the back door.

• Like 1

Prosecutors said that they were still waiting for more testimony from police

In most countries, if a police officer was killed and dropped on the side of the road like garbage the police would be eager to present their evidence.

In most countries, the perpetrator would be lying in a prison hospital with broken bones and no teeth after a nasty fall. Unless the perpetrator was rich, of course. That applies in every country.

In Britain, Charles Saatchi, wealthy PR magnate and Conservative Party donor was photographed choking his wife in public. He went to a police station and accepted a police caution.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigella-lawson-photos-charles-saatchi-1960358

The Telegraph ran a few stories about their 'passionate relationship' and photographed them cosying up together and suddenly the story isn't news any more.

It's not just Thailand, bros.

Edited by RogueLeader

In most countries, if a police officer was killed and dropped on the side of the road like garbage the police would be eager to present their evidence.

In most countries, the perpetrator would be lying in a prison hospital with broken bones and no teeth after a nasty fall. Unless the perpetrator was rich, of course. That applies in every country.

In Britain, Charles Saatchi, wealthy PR magnate and Conservative Party donor was photographed choking his wife in public. He went to a police station and accepted a police caution.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigella-lawson-photos-charles-saatchi-1960358

The Telegraph ran a few stories about their 'passionate relationship' and photographed them cosying up together and suddenly the story isn't news any more.

Did I just miss the part, where he ran over his wife with a sports- car, himself being drunk and full of cocaine, dragging her body 200 meters down the road, leave her to die, drive home, try to bribe a cop, try to turn an innocent "servant" into a scapegoat....???

No. That thing you missed was the point.

So I guess if they had their tourist fast track court in place and he would have killed a tourist, it would still take nine months?

coffee1.gif

If he hit a tourist it was the tourist fault. Same as the case where in a teenaged Lao girl was cut in half by yet another well connected Thai family and as yet to be prosecuted. this one he hit with his Porsche throwing her torso through his windscreen and he drove off with the upper part of the body dangling from his front passenger seat.

Nothing will hapen. Pay off the cops family and problem solved Thai style. It ain't pretty, but its better than nothing.

The court system must be backed up with nusance cases like this? BIB are plenty busy down on the Soi collecting tea money from motobike drivers and unsuspecting cab drivers. The land of the Free Lunch is alive and well in LOS. The poor dead cops family won't get a apology, but they will get a fairly substantial pay-off no doubt about it.

Did I just miss the part, where he ran over his wife with a sports- car, himself being drunk and full of cocaine, dragging her body 200 meters down the road, leave her to die, drive home, try to bribe a cop, try to turn an innocent "servant" into a scapegoat....???

Nope, you had no point as there is no connection between the two incidences unless you're saying he bribed the police

He did not hurt her (you used the term 'choked her' - did he or did he grab her neck as was reported?, he went to the cop shop of his own volition, she was not bruised, she didn't file charges, they made up . . . they are adults in a relationship etc etc etc etc

Again, you missed the point

• Like 1

Your point is, that a case of domestic violence is basically the same as this case???

I'm not defending the Thai guys behavior, but in the US poor people usually rely on public defenders and the rich hire $500 an hour defense attornys.

Guess who does better in court? smile.png

All the Thai bashers on here don't seem to get it that rich people are treated differently from poor people in most all countries. Money talks and rich people walk.

Went home a while ago. Home country is much, much better. Unfortunately, as I'm married to a Thai, I'm married to the over-hyped sh*thole that is Thailand. But you're right: Thailand will deal with it their way, and as Thailand is a fairly corrupt, class-based developing country with a very modest per capita GDP, life will continue to come to the rich at the expense of the poor in the Kingdom. Most people from developed countries don't immigrate to places like Thailand. That would be like going from from the Arab Emirates to Saudi Arabia. Not a good move.

How about a little perspective here you claim

"Most people from developed countries don't immigrate to places like Thailand"

I claim most people from developed countries don't immigrate anywhere. They are to tied into their nanny state that the idea of taking care of them selves is reprehensible.

Nanny state?! The quality of government services in Thailand is pathetic. It's like entrusting your safety (national security, infrastructure, etc.) to a used-car salesman with a third-grade education and a pathological approach to telling the truth. What is the life expectancy of a person in Thailand? Perhaps people in developed countries just like to live without the fear of a yabaa-addled cement truck driver running over your family and then fleeing to scene only to never be found by the police with all of the sense of the Three Stooges.

The quality of services is pathetic compared to the Nanny states I agree.

What I am saying I am responsible for looking out into the street to see if there is a cement truck coming not just happily stepping out there with out looking because the light says walk and it is red for the cement truck. I also am responsible when crossing a street where there is no light to look both ways even though it is a one way street.

There is no policeman standing there to make sure all is OK and if it isn't a government that is set up so as I can sue the ass off of the offending party. If I get hurt in the accident I don't need health insurance they have to take me in to the hospital.

I am old and was raised before the developed countries became Nanny states and it is nice to take responsability for myself instead of depending on a Government for every thing.

I agree with you that is not a desirable way to live for every one. but I for one have a feeling of accomplishment. Much like I did when I was a kid.

I don't know what the average life span is here but it is not that far behind developed countries.

I have had occasion to be in places in developed countries where they help extend the life of people who sit in there pajamas and robe in a wheel chair staring off into space day after day. Or are confined to bed and can not even take care of their basic needs. Just live forget the quality of life.

This is my own opinion based on the life I have led and the things I have seen. Your experience is different so of course you are going to feel different.

You did not respond to

I claim most people from developed countries don't immigrate anywhere.

Any particular reason for lack of response to that.

I also claim that of the ones who do they do it for the experience of a different life style. Or they did not plan ahead and can not live on what they get in their Nanny countries. From my country of birth they don't give me enough to live on because I opted out of their SS plan. I now have a larger income in my retirement than any of those getting full benefit of their system.

Of course some do it to work. But to move here to take a 30,000 baht a month teaching job seems to me like there is more to their decision.

You're probably right that most people from developed countries don't immigrate anywhere. Surely that has something to do with the Platonic "Noble Lie"-dynamic that informs those in developed countries that their particular country is a better place to live than all others and therefore residents of said country should thank the lucky stars for the chance to have been born there. Also the fact that there doesn't seem to be much reason to move from the US to Canada or the UK or even Italy, as all those countries would offer a comparable living standard and experience. All of that is kind of discouraging if you're trying to truly compare quality of life, etc. between countries to determine the best place to live. I, for one, would probably have stayed in South Korea for years had I not met my future Thai wife and moved to Thailand (and subsequently back to the US).

For those that stay in Thailand, I agree with you. Working conditions and salaries are rather pathetic. The best folks in Thailand are the ones that truly appreciate the place and care nothing for money or have chosen the country as a place to retire. You meet some like that in the Kingdom. It's always a refreshing reprieve from the Nana-area-type that mutters about the "stupid birds" and how easy they all are while sucking down a cheap cocktail. Anyways, you sound like your choices are well thought-out and realistic. I wouldn't disagree with you about your choices. Based on your stated values and preferences, Thailand sounds like an excellent place to live. As a place to retire, you can do a LOT worse than Thailand.

• Like 1

movsrus, on 20 Jun 2013 - 10:09, said:snapback.png

Edited by Unkomoncents, Today, 11:20 .

Unkomoncents

Money is the point and what both your cited examples have in common. You get the justice you can afford. This kid will walk because he has the money to buy his way out of it. The "fat cat bankers" in the US had the money to buy lawyers and politicians so they could walk off scott free.

That is my whole point- you have money and rules that apply to most of us don't apply to them.

Respectfully, movsrus, what I was trying to imply is that there is a huge difference between stealing money and killing people. You're right that money buys "justice" and the comparison you made does encourage the epiphany that corruption exists everywhere. Nevertheless, it exists a lot more in some places than it does in others. If a celebrity or heir ran over a police officer in the US, the result would be very, VERY different from that which we are witnessing right here in this story. I remember when Paris Hilton, heir to the Hilton hotel fortune, was found guilty of driving under the influence. She didn't spend a day in jail, as a result of prison overcrowding in California, but she was found GUILTY. There was at least SOME measure of punishment: she paid huge fines, did the requisite drug counseling, etc. This was because she had been driving under the influence. Grandson Red Bull drove under the influence, killed a police officer, and dragged the latter's body down the street underneath his Ferarri. Now he's avoiding trial for the fourth time. I don't think I need to say anymore about this. If you don't want to see my point, fine, you're obviously entitled to your own point of view.

All the Thai bashers on here don't seem to get it that rich people are treated differently from poor people in most all countries. Money talks and rich people walk.

Oh, these posts are so tiresome. Really? So you're saying that the application of the rule of law is all countries is the EXACT same? I would venture a guess that the treatment of rich people in countries like Thailand and China, relative to the treatment of poor people, is very, very different from the treatment of rich people vs the poor in countries like Canada or New Zealand. Only in third-world countries like Thailand do the rich walk away and live free after murdering police officers. Find me a comparable case in another country that is LESS corrupt than Thailand (transparency.org is a good place to start).

• Like 2

Old tried and true lawyers trick, delay, delay and than delay some more,

in the end the public anger and interest will wane quite concededly

and he will get away with a slap on the wrist, it happened many time

before and it will happened again.....TIT..

Guess you're not one for actually reading this rather lengthy article, which clearly states in the first paragraph that it'ss the prosecution who is doing the postponing, for which I'm sure the defense is infinitely grateful.

• Like 1

Am surprised that Coconuts had the balls to bring this story back again.

I would have thought a few well placed phone calls to the media would

quash this story forever. But I suppose with true absolute arrogance,

these elites do not really care what the peasants are muttering about.

Thought # 1. Fix those ears !!!!!!

Thought # 2. If this guy is part of the future management of Red Bull,

time to short the stock.... :-)

Here's someone else trying to argue that a simple case of domestic battery is the same thing as driving under the influence and vehicular homicide, because it neatly fits within their cute worldview which states that all the bad things that happen in Thailand must, by virtue of necessity (according the principle that all people are equal), happen in every other country on earth.

• Like 2

I'm not defending the Thai guys behavior, but in the US poor people usually rely on public defenders and the rich hire $500 an hour defense attornys.

Guess who does better in court? smile.png

You clearly have no idea, do you . . .