Jet-setting Thai monk to explain himself

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife's son was shunted off to a wat in Nakhon Sawan since he was in need of discipline and needed to improve his reading and writing skills. On the third day he phoned home and said he had attended a funeral. Presumably he formed part of the Buddha's Glee Club at the event. He said that he had been paid 300 baht for his services. So, in just three day he had money in his pocket and owned a mobile phone. I offered to buy him an Uzi so that he could retire when he was 25.

i dont undestand why people spend money on temple insted of buying some meals for some of the poor sleeping on the street.

Thailand="For show".

Give to temple=More merit/face

Give to beggar on street=Less merit/face

Supporters of Controversial Monk Defend His Luxurious Lifestyle

mo.jpg

Photo: KHAOSOD English

BANGKOK: -- Spiritual followers of a controversial monk defend his lavish lifestyle which hit headlines around the world, even as torrents of public criticism continue to mount against him.

Luang Puu (Elder/Grandfather Monk) Nen Kam Chattigo, whose temple is based in Sisaket province, was seen on various images and videos riding a camel in his trip to Egypt, showing off a Mercedes Benz, smiling from his seat in a helicopter, and relaxing with an iPhone and Luis Vuitton bag on his private jet plane.

But the image which seems to touch off the nerve of the public the most is the one that appears to show Luang Nen Kam sleeping next to a girl. Both were presumed to be naked. The Office of National Buddhism has previously called for investigation into the matters, calling his actions damaging to the faith of Buddhists, since Buddhist monks were supposed to lead a humble life.

Although his title suggests that he is an aged monk, Luang Nen Kam is believed to be in his late 30s. His followers said that the title of Luang Pu denotes the years he had lived in his previous lives.

The monk himself has not spoken to the public since the issue surfaced. His temple staff said he′s currently on a trip in Europe and will be back in Thailand "soon". It is not clear which country he is traveling at the moment.

In the meantime, his spiritual supporters - which are believe to be numerous and include many influential businessmen and bureaucrats - are rallying behind him. Yesterday (20 June) a group of such supporters, led by Mr. Pattaradech Sopanpanich, hosted a press conference in Nonthaburi province to tell their side of the story. The conference was attended by more than 100 followers of Luang Pu Nen Kam.

Mr. Pattaradech said that the media attack on Luang Pu is "unfair", saying that he did not own or buy any such luxury. The helicopter and jet plane rides, he said, were paid for by the monk′s followers who want to offer convenient and fast means of travel for Luang Pu. As for Luis Vuitton bag, Mr. Pattaradech said they were all donated to him by the templegoers.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01UZ3hOek13TlE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-06-22

"As for Luis Vuitton bag, Mr. Pattaradech said they were all donated to him by the templegoers."

To him or to the temple/Wat?

Is he in the UK by any chance I wonder? I'm sure I saw him walking around urban outfitters in westfields, west London! (not even joking!) I assumed he was a monk from the temple in Wimbledon but now I look at the pictures on here.....swear it could have been him! I even thought to myself....what on earth could

he find in this shop? Enlightenment?! ;)

come under scrutiny,,hes a monk whats he got to worry about if hes doing what hes meant to be doing,,(OR IS HE),,,,,mmmmmmm,,wheres the picture of this woman new to me,,

Do your home work, the picture is out there for everyone to see...

You can do anything you want in this one life we have. Just don't get caught doing it if you don't wish to explain why the F...... your doing it!

This bloke though apparently, has had many lives so he should be use to it by now....

I have , on several occasions , seen monks flying first class on Thai Airways .

Thai Airways was and quite probably still is, an airline where a huge number of premium cabin space is given away to friends and associates including the orange robed.

The head of my local temple here in Dallas has been a monk since age 12. When I mentioned this story to him, he smiled, said he was aware of the story, and said that he had just got back from a Buddhist meeting in Raleigh NC traveling both ways by car. That's 18 hours each way. He's 62 years old, Not all monks are corrupt but too many are.

what if some follower would have gave him a first class plane ticket for the trip?

The head of my local temple here in Dallas has been a monk since age 12. When I mentioned this story to him, he smiled, said he was aware of the story, and said that he had just got back from a Buddhist meeting in Raleigh NC traveling both ways by car. That's 18 hours each way. He's 62 years old, Not all monks are corrupt but too many are.

Well, not all in the USA anyway...

What's astonishing is that anyone, Thai or foreign, would not suspect, by default, that these "religious leaders" are anything but corrupt. We are in Thailand, after all.

Ah yes, prejudice - saves the bother of having to think I suppose.

Edited by dunque