Can't access/login to router

steelepulse

My router is at 192.168.1.1, yet when having this in the address bar, I get the page not found message. I've tried this in multiple browsers while being connected via wifi. Is there any reason why I can't connect? Reason I'm wanting to access this is to check some things so I can try and get my phone to connect to wifi.

What is the make and model?

If all else fails there is normally a reset button that will totally reset the router to factory settings. Is your router definitely at 192.168.1.1 ? You can check by typing 'ipconfig' into the command prompt. If you are able to connect to the internet then I would suspect you are using the wrong router IP

Totster smile.png

Edited by Totster

I can't see how resetting the router will cause problems, you will have to 'set it up' again with passwords etc but that's no big deal.

Maybe try switching it off and on again, might help.

Do you know which device is handling the DHCP?

totster :)

Steelpulse

You need to be directly connected to the router by Ethernet cable or console cable to manage the router. Most routers cannot be managed VIA WIFI access.

Cheers

News to me, I have had around 8 different wireless routers and all have been able to be accessed wirelessly. Not a bad idea to try via a cable though thumbsup.gif

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster

Thanks dman and totster. From what I have been reading, some android phones don't/won't connect to WEP enabled routers, so I wanted to see if I have any other encryption options and test if the phone connects with no encryption. I was at a pub last night and the phone connected with no problems to a wifi hotspot that used WPA/WPA2.

Steelpulse

You need to be directly connected to the router by Ethernet cable or console cable to manage the router. Most routers cannot be managed VIA WIFI access.

Cheers

News to me, I have had around 8 different wireless routers and all have been able to be accessed wirelessly. Not a bad idea to try via a cable though thumbsup.gif

Same here as my entire house is wireless and I access the router admin panel via a wifi connection.

//edit - just noticed the WEP so once you do get on change it to WPA2 for the better security.

Not saying you are wrong Totster but would urge the OP to try this before defaulting the router to factory config and losing current config. Most of the gear I work with is Cisco and by default cannot be managed VIA WIFI unless configured that way for security reasons.

• Like 2

Update. Connecting with cable I am able to login.

However after login, it bypasses setup wizard and just goes to a status screen showing all setting, yet setting are not able to be changed. Looking at the manual ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/P-660HW-T1_v2/user_guide/P-660HW-T1%20v2_3.40.pdf I should have a setup wizard to easily change things, but I don't. I would like to change security to something besides WEP, but for the last 10 minutes the status screen has been stopping me, even after logging in and out a number of times.

Who setup the router initially? If it was your ISP then contact them. It sounds like the level of access you have is user level or read only access. Means you can look at status but not change anything. There is management layer of access that allows full read write access to the config. Good luck

Steelpulse

Cheers

while i agree that if he cannot access the gateway via wifi he should try a wired connection, saying that most routers cannot be managed by wifi is just nonsense

• Like 1

just reset it and start fresh.

one concern is that you did not change the default admin and password, somebody has found your router, changed its ip, username and password.

we used to do that to folks a while back, not maliciously, but to taech them a lesson about security

Steelpulse

Cheers

while i agree that if he cannot access the gateway via wifi he should try a wired connection, saying that most routers cannot be managed by wifi is just nonsense

My deepest apologies for using the word cannot. I clarified it in my next post to Totster a few minutes later if you took the time to read it before calling my post nonsense.

one concern is that you did not change the default admin and password, somebody has found your router, changed its ip, username and password.

we used to do that to folks a while back, not maliciously, but to taech them a lesson about security

The reason for user level and management level access to network devices is to allow non tecnical people to look at the status of their equipment without the possibility of an accidental or over zealous change to the active configuration.

Dont agree with your advise to the OP about just reset and start fresh as the OP would likely be dead in the water unless he knows all config parameters.

as i read it, it was nonsense and patently untrue.

why should i apologise if you did not say what you meant?

Joe, Again you apparently did not read my post before making a reply. Go back and read it again.

Where did I ask you for an apology ???

So far you have contributed nothing but bad advice to the OP. "Just reset and start fresh" is brilliant advice to a non-technical person looking for guidance. In the business we call people like you cowboys.

>>Dont agree with your advise to the OP about just reset and start fresh as the OP would likely be dead in the water unless he knows all config parameters.

Yes, this is why I do not want to do a hard reset on a weekend when TOT support will be non existent. Who knows what the vci and multiple other setting are, plus I don't have my un and pw handy that I know of.

If you reset the router you can find the default username and password with a google search.

Like you say, if it's restricted might just be best for them to come out and do it for you, get the admin pw while they are there.

totster :)

Correct, un and pw of router is easy, but what my un and pw are for my ISP is what I don't have handy, so resetting would result in no internet access for the weekend.

Or phone TOT on 1100, weekend or not. They will have the information :)

I think most routers have the option to manage the device via WiFi disabled by default. This is probably a good thing. So you may have to use a PC connected via ethernet to modify the UI to allow for management over WiFi, if you want to do that.

I think it is best to limit access and control to an ethernet-connected device.

Most of the home/sme routers can be managed by WiFi interface just fine by default (WiFi itself can be off by default, which is another story).

Care to share which models are the exception? I am not talking about enterprise level equipment here...

Sent from my Desire HD using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app